• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gothic II expansion gets a US release

RPGdot says:

After countless delays, fansite JoWood News is reporting Navarre will be releasing Gothic 2 Gold, which presumably includes the long-awaited Night of the Raven expansion, in the US with an expected date of October 24th, at US$19.99.
It's about time. Figures, though, that this would happen only after I decided to play Gothic II and import an English version of its expansion from goddamned Italy. :p Good news for just about everybody else, though.

siege

Banned
Bump because the game is finally coming out next week. You can't beat the original game and the previously unreleased expansion (in the US) for 20 bucks.

One of the better RPG's on PC and it doesn't require a monster machine to run. Get it.

Azih

Does this add an automap? Also the ability to not get jumped by an orc RIGHT OUTSIDE THE STARTING VILLAGE?

pj

Banned
Azih said:
Does this add an automap? Also the ability to not get jumped by an orc RIGHT OUTSIDE THE STARTING VILLAGE?

Speaking of the map.. Did anyone else have a problem where the map took like 8 seconds to come up, once you pressed the button?

It's almost as long as the game's initial load time..

And where did you run into orcs near khorinis?

Azih

Out of one of the village entrances that borders a mountain and up the mountain path. It was one of the quests to try to impress enough of the villagers to get sponsored for citizenship. (Get something from the orc's cave nd give it to the blacksmith to prove bravery, never found the cave, but did randomly get reamed by the orc)

What you are suppose to do is hire the soldier in the front gate to help you with the Orc. Use him as fodder and then just ream the Orc. As for the cave, its behind the evergreen trees to the left of the front gate if you are walking out of the town. You hear a 'russling' anytime there is a cave nearby.

Azih

Well what really tuned me off the game finally was that I spent a fair bit of time tracking down a thief for one of the stall owners, by the time I got back to the stall owner to get my reward he refused to speak to me. Why? Becuase some jerk who I had refused to help about 10 hours ago had manged to turn all of the shop owners against me and I couldn't find a way of reversing the situation. Just a bit too frustrating for my tastes.

Thats part of the storyline with the shopowners not talking to you. There is a specific shopowner (I believe to the left of the back gate inside the town) that you need to payoff so he smooths things over. I believe its because you pissed off the thiefs guild. I did the same thing

Azih

Yeah but I aint paying that ass off. He can just freeze in place forever, he's not getting the satisfaction of extorting me like that.

Haha, yeah i know how you feel. Its basically the only way you can continue the story, and you get back at him later....trust me, its VERY satisfying.

pj

Banned
Azih said:
Well what really tuned me off the game finally was that I spent a fair bit of time tracking down a thief for one of the stall owners, by the time I got back to the stall owner to get my reward he refused to speak to me. Why? Becuase some jerk who I had refused to help about 10 hours ago had manged to turn all of the shop owners against me and I couldn't find a way of reversing the situation. Just a bit too frustrating for my tastes.

Yeah that's one of the problems I had with the game, requirements for quests that are way too obscure..

HERE ARE THE REST OF THE PROBLEMS I HAD WITH IT:

from another thread I posted in.. said:
I just finished up gothic 2.

I was told by quite a few people that it was like morrowind, but better.

WRONG, the only things that are better is the: program stability, music and world design.

The combat is fucking disgusting. Morrowind's may have been boring but it wasn't so clunky and counterintuitive that every single battle could end in death.

Another big problem is that certain things require very specific actions that are easy to miss, which leads to frustration (ie You get a book from some guy that proves some other dude innocent, and you're supposed to show it to the boss, but the option isn't there when you talk to him. The thing I missed was that you have to READ the book before you talk to him. Why the fuck do I have to read the book? I already know what it says. The other one I can remember is lockpicking. I didn't learn lockpicking until about 45 minutes before I beat the game because I didn't know how to make the carpenter trust me.).

The difficulty is absurd early in the game. For the first maybe.. 10 hours of the game, if you see more than one enemy, even if it's the weakest bastards in the game, you HAVE to inch towards one and lure it to you, kill it, then repeat until you've killed the group. You can't use arrows or magic on them because that will alert the whole fucking group. The valley of the mines is the worst offender in this regard. Most of the time it's impossible to pick off an orc since there are so many of them grouped together and they have VERY GOOD EYES.

Adding to the frustration of the enemy difficulty is the bad collision detection and animation system. I won't go into detail because I'm started to get bored typing this, but the main problem is the very liberal range on enemy melee attacks and the fact that you can't start running while you're changing weapons, and you can't draw a weapon while backing up.

Balance is another big issue in this game. The beginning is incredibly hard, but the end is ridiculously easy. Once you get the paladin runes you can take down orcs in 2-3 hits (I killed ALL of the ones around the valley of the mines castle), from very far away and it just becomes a matter of not running out of mana.

The last problem I have is that there's not enough item variation and nothing you get feels like an actual reward.

The game's not all bad, though. The quests are quite varied and generally good, the music is excellent, sound effects are pretty good, the story is quite compelling, the fact that there's no load screen when you teleport is awesome, and the amount of choices you get is very good, so good that I could replay the game and probably have a totally different experience, but I won't because of all the problems.

I know I spent more time complaining about the bad than praising the good, I guess that's a side effect of spending so much time on the internet, but don't get me wrong, it's a very good game. I'd give it an 8 or 8.5..

P.S. I know no one cares since this game is so old, but I wanted to vent
P.P.S. I just remembered another problem.. YOU CAN'T PLAY AFTER THE CREDITS. WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT? The world didn't blow up, the majority of NPCs didn't talk about the thing I defeated, why couldn't I go back and wrap up the side quests?

I played morrowind a bit right after it and the crappiness of gothic 2's controls and combat made me appreciate morrowind's a little more. Also the music in gothic 2 isn't really better, but there's more of it and it's all location specific which is nice.

Top Bottom