• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights revealed by WB

RPGCrazied

They mentioned it in the gameplay walkthrough. I think if you’re playing single player, there won’t be an AI companion. Tough to tell since the walkthrough was being played coop.

Cool as hell that the whole thing can be played coop though, not enough true coop stuff these days.

And it looks like there is rpg elements in it? I see levels and damage numbers. Would've been cool when you play solo if you can with like a button press swap in the other characters.

trikster40

And it looks like there is rpg elements in it? I see levels and damage numbers. Would've been cool when you play solo if you can with like a button press swap in the other characters.

Yeah they mentioned the batgirl in the video was a dozen or so hours into her “character progression” so I’m assuming you learn new moves, get new tech, etc.

dottme

In the last part they do say that the experience is different depending of your level. So yes there's some RPG/level/life bar in it. I really hope we won't be forced to do 1000 time the same mission just to level up our character.

what is that points over their head? is this an mmo game or something?
I feel it's like what they are doing in the latest Assassin Creed (Origin/Odyssey). The player has some level but it's not an MMO.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Character designs and costumes are pretty ugly. A co-op Batman game is a potentially cool idea but I don't think this is going to deliver on that.
I dunno if id go as far as to call the designs and costumes ugly....the Robin costume in gameplay was much better than the weird overcoat.
But I think the Batgirl, Redhood and Nightwing looked fine in i guess default.

They have over a year to polish things up.
EgCvs4OUMAAXvjF

batgirl-31-artgerm-variant.png

Kid, what are you even on about? I'm not "upset" maybe a bit disappointed. I was very excited for a new Batman game and I'm left somewhat deflated.
I can only comment on what I'm presented with, which is a Batman game with no Batman. Something we've been told outright in the trailer and in the press release.
I'm not even drawing conclusions from what they've shown, that's literally what they've show us. I'm not looking for anything, this is just how it is.
I just wanted a Batman vs the Court of Owls game, and he's not even playable in this shit.
Alright man.

TheAssist

hmmm. Not convinced. Right now it feels more like the division. Which is something I dont like. Also the art direction is a bit more colorful. Not really my taste when it comes to the batman universe.

I dont know, but is there a single game with SP plus coop that actually has a good story and a great immersive world?
Seeing enemy levels and exp really turns me off.

Edit: gotta admit though, I like the way they revealed this. Story trailer directly followed by a gameplay trailer.
Btw. its funny how the leak about this game turned out to be true xD. Most people here dismissed it because "the logos dont align" or something

Last edited:

Kerotan

Only ever played Arkham Asylum and Arkham Knight recently. Loved both but I won't be on this day 1. Maybe a few years for cheap if it's good.

RPGCrazied

And they are obviously going by the Arkham Knight ending. If you watched the perfect ending you'd know why Batman isn't in this.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
And they are obviously going by the Arkham Knight ending. If you watched the perfect ending you'd know why Batman isn't in this.

Doesn't look like it.

Barbara isn't crippled when she was very much so in Knight, Gordon wasn't dead, Tim is much younger, Jason looks completely different and doesn't have the Joker scar.

This looks like a different continuity, which is probably a good thing.

Last edited:
Huge fan of the Arkham series, but I'm sorry that looked pretty bad in my opinion. I'll pass, pretty let down. It's starting to come together why AT&T was looking to sell the games division. Oh well. Got four great Batman games I can always replay on my pc. Cautiously optimistic for the Suicide Squad game tonight.

H . R . 2

I feel a little bad to see so many people disappointed not to have Batman in this game.
i feel we already have so many Batman vs Joker game that I really like to see something different. Even if I’m still worried they might drop Batman vs Joker at the end out of nowhere.
I don't think that's is why people are disappointed :)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I literally can't get over the idea that they've been teasing this fucking Batman Court Of owls game for months... and then reveal that Batman isn't in it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nobody really wants to play as the Bat family. They want to play as Batman. Because he's the character that everyone loves.

I'm just flabbergasted by the stupidity of this move.

Good job Battinson looks fucking great :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I literally can't get over the idea that they've been teasing this fucking Batman Court Of owls game for months... and then reveal that Batman isn't in it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nobody really wants to play as the Bat family. They want to play as Batman. Because he's the character that everyone loves.

This. So much. I mean the apologist kind of puzzle me, its okay if you're okay with this but to act like its not a letdown at all is disingenuous.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

He'll be dlc probably

Don't care about any of those side characters and they are doing that stupid shit where enemies level up when you level up so the entire progression system is pointless.

I tried to keep low expectations for this game but they managed go so far below the bar.

Pejo

Visually it's a stunner, design wise it looks kinda hokey, at least the playable characters. Performance wise - looks like it was barely holding 30FPS, especially on the roof with all the particle/weather effects. I've never been a huge Batman fan, but I have enjoyed the Rocksteady games, so I'll pick this up. Who's the guy that looks like black and red Deathstroke?

Bombolone

Gold Member
Big meh.
The art style is just so grungy to look at. The environments, character designs. Sure everything looks pretty, technically; the lightning, snow, lights, motion blur.
I was hoping they would ditch the Arkham look and go for something fresher.

Dmg numbers, XP levels ... Jesus Christ.
Also no (playable Batman) will have to wait and see.
Probably not the game for me, that's cool. I look forward to seeing more down the road.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The whole story seems to revolve around him being dead. I could see that being resolved by the end.

The story that's not going to interest that many people because Batman's not in it, which will mean the game won't be all that popular?

Seriously... the fucking stupidity is chewable.

Pejo

Really? All I'm seeing are really low quality textures that look outright blurry in certain places.
Well that's likely a texture loading issue, it is pre-alpha or whatever. I'm talking particle effects, lighting, and textures (when they load properly) look pretty good.

Reindeer

Well that's likely a texture loading issue, it is pre-alpha or whatever. I'm talking particle effects, lighting, and textures (when they load properly) look pretty good.
I would say it looks poor visually next to something like Spiderman or the new Avengers game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goosies man, goosies all ova my body🤤, I'm a sucka for anything Batman these guys make, best in the biz bar none.

I still think Bat will show up at some point in the game..for the chills and THE "Moment"

Reindeer

The guy narrating said the gameplay video was halfway through Mr Freeze's storyline, does that mean it could be a GAAS game that has different storylines for different characters? I'm getting Destiny and Avengers vibe from this whole thing.

PS. I know it has single player, but you can have one in GAAS game as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dacon

Banned
Oh my god there’s been like one AAA video game made in 50 years with a female character not designed by a 12 year old boy and you’re still crying about it two months later LOL

That is not at all true, games made by western studies strayed away from the "sexy" female design like a decade ago. There's charts tracking the trend of less than attractive females becoming more and more prevalent in games.

That said, this isn't that case.

This game isn't made for SJWs, hell a Batman game is inherently anti SJW, they consider Batman himself a cop and he works closesly with the police. SJWs are always making terrible hot takes about how Batman should feed the poor and give away his fortune to fight crime and dumb shit like that.

SJWs hate Batman.

Last edited:
Top Bottom