• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goosebumps Galore - Most Impactful Moments In Media

Usually when creating these threads I will write a small introductory paragraph highlighting a topic and my hopes of where the discussion should lead. But I often find that most users can't be bothered reading a whole wall of text unless it's something incredibly scandalous or hilarious to boot, so I'll be holding the details and sticking to the core point. Thrills. I want to talk about the thrills, more specifically the thrills that come from mass media. Those memorable moments where your body felt as though it was host to a million needles, your heart absolutely racing whilst you were on the edge of your seat in the presence of greatness. I want to talk about those special moments where the writing, acting and everything else came together to create something absolutely magical.

Rules:

The thrills have to come from something positive, so horror movie scares don't count.

Non-personal mass media only. So movies, video games, music, sporting events and so forth...
Keep submissions to a maximum of 5, even though most of you will probably ignore this.

Mine:

Lost (Television Show) - Through The Looking Glass Ending

After having escaped the island, Jack has essentially broken down and questions his entire existence after the event that changed so many lives. You don't have to have watched Lost to see Michael Fox's haunting "We have to go back! strike many a nerve.

Warcraft (Movie) - Durotan's Honor

Durotan (Hero) challenges Gul' Dan (Villian) to melee combat to regain his honour. After the villain uses magic unfairly to cripple him, a defiant Durotan stands to his feet and roars: "Gul' dannn!!! You have no... honour." Chills went up spine hearing the conviction.

Unbreakable (Movie) - The Orange Man

Watching David strangle the Orange Man for his crime of torturing a woman is something that sticks with you. The refusal to let go of what's right after being bashed against the wall and James Newton Howard's sweeping soundtrack, it's unforgettable.

Johnny Cash - Hurt (Music Video)

To those who have no idea who Johnny was it makes no difference. The images of a man's life shown in a few seconds all the while to his sombre lyrics and frail vulnerability. The image of him shaking as he pours the wine is the most memorable to me.

Che Guevara - Geurrillero Heroico (Photograph)

Heroico1.jpg

I'm not too familiar with Che Geuvara and I have no idea what he stood for. But what I do know is this photograph, taken at a funeral with Guevara attend. The blank expression and cold eyes, it's an iconic photograph that has resonated with many over the years.

UFC 209 - Darren Elkin's Comeback

After getting his face mashed in for four rounds, Darren Elkins pulls off one of the most improbable and remarkable comebacks in UFC history. The emotion and scream Elkins lets out as he throws his arms up in cheer is something I'll never forget. It left a lasting impression on many, but none more so than UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

Doom85

Cowboy Bebop - the final scene, it pays off the foreshadowing throughout the series and the music is hauntingly beautiful

Death Stranding - Die-Hardman’s confession, really the whole final 45 minutes of the game is just pure perfection, but this moment hits hard as the character had mostly been in the game to give Sam missions and such, then out of nowhere a lot more depth is added to him and the actor just abruptly steals the award for best performance in the game, even over my boy Mads Mikkelsen. Respect.

Code Geass - final episode. It is ridiculous in terms of how things worked out for the world as a whole at the end, but who gives a fuck. This ending slaps so insanely hard the skeletons of our ancient ancestors shifted in their graves to put their hand on their sore cheek.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse - What’s Up Danger, just pure perfection

Breaking Bad, final scene - just pure chills as they deliver a perfect ending to a pretty much perfect series.

Last edited:
e5Xp6Dm.jpg

Memories of Murder | Bong Joon Ho | 2003 | KOR | 132m | Crime | Drama | Mystery

Such a chilling way to break the fourth wall. He isn't just looking at the audience, he is actually searching
for the killer here. He has an assumption throughout the film that he can look someone in the eyes and
tell if they are the real culprit or not. Now after everything that has happened and he isn't so sure of
himself he has this last glance of terror and horror when he comes to a realization that a real murderer
can be anyone especially when they are normal-looking people. His illusion is shattered here and knowing
that someone actually is watching him through the camera might be what he was looking for makes this
so unsettling and disturbing. Such a profound way to end the film right there.

Last edited:

The Wire is one of those series where every single scene hits hard. Even the ones that are supposed to be funny are tragic in a way.
Breaking Bad, final scene - just pure chills as they deliver a perfect ending to a pretty much perfect series.

I'm confident that pretty much every broken character is bound to die in a television series. Didn't Dexter kick the bucket as well?
e5Xp6Dm.jpg

Memories of Murder | Bong Joon Ho | 2003 | KOR | 132m | Crime | Drama | Mystery

Such a chilling way to break the fourth wall. He isn't just looking at the audience, he is actually searching
for the killer here. He has an assumption throughout the film that he can look someone in the eyes and
tell if they are the real culprit or not. Now after everything that has happened and he isn't so sure of
himself he has this last glance of terror and horror when he comes to a realization that a real murderer
can be anyone especially when they are normal-looking people. His illusion is shattered here and knowing
that someone actually is watching him through the camera might be what he was looking for makes this
so unsettling and disturbing. Such a profound way to end the film right there.
He's essentially the face of South Korean cinema. I would say his finest moment is in The Host where he sees his father die due his own stupidity and places a small handkerchief on his face.

I didn't want horror movie scares in this thread man. Not that it matters, I was expecting it to be more popular but it's a ghost town lol.

Honestly, Prison Break. The whole of Season 1. There is so many close calls that get your heart racing and the escape scene itself is so masterfully well done. I really think that's some of the best televsion I've ever watched.

Honestly, Prison Break. The whole of Season 1. There is so many close calls that get your heart racing and the escape scene itself is so masterfully well done. I really think that's some of the best televsion I've ever watched.

Prison Break and Heroes are one of those shows where it's all about the first season, because the follow-ups are considered so bad in comparison lol.

Season 6 of Better Call Saul
Howard's death was just a sad gut puncher. He was completely innocent and died because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. His death is the main reason for the downward spiral of Jimmy and Kim. The Saul Goodman persona is really just a coping mechanism for Jimmy.

Prison Break and Heroes are one of those shows where it's all about the first season, because the follow-ups are considered so bad in comparison lol.
Yeah I pretty much just think of Prison Break ending at Season 1. It always felt weird to me to do more seasons on the show after the escape, just felt forced. Although I sort of liked aspects of Season 2 when they were on the run.

Top Bottom