• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

wolywood

I find it quite incredible that they didn't do half the things they talked about at launch.

- Did any games use multiple instances of the servers to get MEGA-POWAH?
- Did they ever implement the 'launch directly from YouTube' feature?
- Did they ever upgrade any of the servers in the four years?
No, yes, no.

MaKTaiL

That's what happens when streaming services insist on releasing their platforms on countries that do not need them. Meanwhile I still wait for a proper streaming service to arrive here in Brazil.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Lol i nearly bought the stadia :pie_thinking:
i still want that sushi controller

unknown.png

look how fucking sexy

That color scheme is ghastly. The original white/orange one looks pretty nice.

splattered

Didn't they just expand to mexico less than a week ago too? I WILL say though, the refunds on here is freaking amazing to see. Sorry we failed you all, so we're giving you your money back. Will be interesting to see if they follow through on that though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
lol Google is such a failure. Imagine having unlimited funds and still unable to make a single game let alone console.
If you are gonna unlimited funds a failure atleast go out with a bang.

All they had to do is actually make this damn hardware something people could go home with.
505c2929df43394adaf4b958895fb9dc.jpg

The device wouldnt even be underpowered even having launched a year earlier than the PS5/XSX.
But having a physical box and atleast a few moneyhatted exclusives they could have had their device in atleast some peoples homes.
The "Stadia" service could have been their Gamepass, but people still have a console to buy games on or just subscribe to the Service and get a curated bunch of games.....money hat the fuck out of the games you put there.

Making it streaming only.

FUCKED!

Helghan

That's what happens when streaming services insist on releasing their platforms on countries that do not need them. Meanwhile I still wait for a proper streaming service to arrive here in Brazil.
Which countries do or don't need them? Based on what do you make this distinction? Genuine question.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Who "needs" it? I guess they released it in countries with fast and stable internet connections, not sure where Brazil is on that.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Stadia was dead on arrival. I am surprised it took this long. Good on them to refund customers however.

Google needs to keep focus on their core products and services. Android, Chrome, Gmail, Search, YouTube, etc.

Whenever they launch some other product or service outside their focus, it’s all hype and no substance.

DaGwaphics

If you are gonna unlimited funds a failure atleast go out with a bang.

All they had to do is actually make this damn hardware something people could go home with.
505c2929df43394adaf4b958895fb9dc.jpg

The device wouldnt even be underpowered even having launched a year earlier than the PS5/XSX.
But having a physical box and atleast a few moneyhatted exclusives they could have had their device in atleast some peoples homes.
The "Stadia" service could have been their Gamepass, but people still have a console to buy games on or just subscribe to the Service and get a curated bunch of games.....money hat the fuck out of the games you put there.

Making it streaming only.

FUCKED!

This! Even if streaming was their real push, releasing a box would have made all purchases seem more like digital purchases rather than a smoke and mirrors type thing. People would have had more confidence in it, IMO.

[Sigma]

200.gif
Google and it's believers the entire time. Trying to tell everybody how well it's doing despite evidence saying other wise. Imagine spending money on this thinking actually was the future. Well, at least you get your money back this time.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
P.S. This comment from Phill Spencer sounds even funnier today...

"When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward."
And those were who Phil considers to be their real competitors, right?
Some people still repeat that horseshit in acquisitions threads 🙄
Phil: “We don’t see Sony as a competitor. Google is our competitor”
The comment was regarding potential acquisitions not seeing cloud gaming as a threat.
Google tried to buy Bethesda and Amazon bought Double Helix who made Killer Instinct. They don't want Google or Amazon to buy the studios that Microsoft could.
Phil always said that streaming is just a convenience that will never replace local hardware.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Same vibes right now

Good for them on the refunds. Helps take a bit of the sting away and may not scare people away from the 'next thing' they try.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The comment was regarding potential acquisitions not seeing cloud gaming as a threat.

Not sure which comment you are referring to. The one below is about cloud.

"When you talk about Nintendo and Sony, we have a ton of respect for them, but we see Amazon and Google as the main competitors going forward," Spencer said. "That's not to disrespect Nintendo and Sony, but the traditional gaming companies are somewhat out of position. I guess they could try to re-create Azure, but we've invested tens of billions of dollars in cloud over the years.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ I don't think the success/failure of Stadia changes much in regards to the future of cloud gaming. I still think there will come a point where the tech is good enough for the majority. It will never be the best option, nor will it be popular with enthusiasts like post here, but it will find its audience. When it does though, it will be backed by a familiar name in gaming (Xbox, Nvidia, AMD, PS, Nintendo, etc.) not an upstart.

Last edited:
Not something good for the consumer but their business model seemed to be targeting a very niche demographic. Not sure why they didn’t go for something more like MS is doing with Xcloud.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I see. I will check the account in a few days. Sounds too good to be true, tbh.
They said it will take them until January to process all the refunds.

Top Bottom