• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is closing down its Stadia cloud streaming service.

Neogaf
giphy.webp

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We all knew this would happen from day one.

What will this guy go destroy next.

philharrison-1200x800.jpg
Never knew this guy changes companies every 3 years.

Give him credit. He's a got a knack for 9 lives in gaming. Every time the product tanks when he's there, he bolts (or gets fired?) and another giant corporation gives him a job to help launch another product line.

Last edited:

sainraja

Oh that means I will get my money back. heh. I remember saying that is one thing we don't have to worry about with Google. They have always been good about that.

skit_data

Pretty spicy, considering that is pretty much one of the reasons CMA cited deeper investigation was needed on Acti/Blizz/King acquisition.

Edit: Didn’t realize it was a really really old article :p Still though.

Last edited:

TVexperto

didnt they like announce last week that its coming to new gaming monitors as well and oleds ??

at least they are going to refund me

What!? Google killing yet another project that didn't live up to the hype?
Surely, you jest.
Google has released some great products in it's time, hell, I tried Stadia and thought it was ok, for what it was, it worked well, but it just doesn't have a place in my house as I'd still rather play on native hardware. But the tech was there, just not great timing. The market for them would almost certainly have been households that can't afford the native hardware, and I'd bet that most of the people that fall into that category don't live in areas that have the infrastructure to make that a good experience.

Toots

Gold Member
If google refunds everything, hardware and software, i don’t how anyone can see this as anything less than a win for the users.
If they don’t know how to waste money next tell them i have a virtual bridge to sell

Sorcerer

Well, at least Google countered the argument that you can lose everything you purchased in cloud. I can't believe they are giving everybody's money back. I did not get anything back when OnLive went under. I wonder if the refund is feasible because perhaps the player base was very small?

Bragr

Banned
Stadia got things wrong from the get-go, and even if it was cloud gaming and not console, it stepped into the space of the big three, and competing against Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft in this space is absurdly difficult.

The only way Stadia was gonna work is if it was free-to-try and had a few major studios under its umbrella that could produce exclusive games that were worth trying the service for.

sainraja

Well, at least Google countered the argument that you can lose everything you purchased in cloud. I can't believe they are giving everybody's money back. I did not get anything back when OnLive went under. I wonder if the refund is feasible because perhaps the player base was very small?
Possibly but Google has refunded stuff in the past when they have shutdown services. I got refunded the coupon I got from Google Offers and they refunded it (even for those who had used theirs, and I had used mine). I think there was a time line kinda thing, like if you had bought it within the last 2 years or so but I cannot confirm this for sure. In this case, the cost of refunding was probably better compared to whatever other situation they could face.....they made the right call but they are still a business after all.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
We’ve predicted this from the moment they announce that this was a cloud service. If Google actually came in with a console they might have a better chance.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Shutting down, and refunding all purchases ever made on the platform. Damn.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Yeah, this has to be the biggest financial blunder in gaming history. Gat damn.

So RDR2 got tens of millions on top of 50+million in sales, and those cunts can't be fucked with a PS5/XSX patch, or a 60fps patch at the very least for console gamers.

Take 2/R* man, I swear.

Yeah, it's an entirely different company these days. I have not much faith in the single player side of GTA VI. I'll happily eat crow though if it is still good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom