• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good AA game recommendations

Hot5pur

Thought we would do a thread on AA games. It's always hard to define them but in general anything that is not a mainstream high production value affair (eg. halo, gears, Sony first party, final fantasy, etc). What are some decent titles, either recent or past that still hold up today. Would be helpful if you note what you like about it.

A few of mine:

Evil West - straightforward old school action game with vampires, guns and melee. Has co-op. Good action and interesting setting.

Everspace/Everspace 2 - very surprised at how good these are. One is a roguelite and the other a space looter shooter. Addicting gameplay and interesting story / world building, though the story is delivered in partially animated art (don't let that turn you off, still better than a lot of stuff out there).

SEGA_2012

It is not released yet but i have faith in Alone the Dark.

The Ninja Turtles game for PS3 and Xbox 360 called Out of Shadows is a incredible game.

Dark Void had potential, unfortunately the flying sections are annoying.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Theres a very small line between indies, aa and triple a these days with a lot of titles. Take Arkane for example. Is it a triple A studio? You might think it is, but all their games are clearly under a strict budget, Prey and Dishonored series are clearly AA games. Same with many more. Could name a dozen others.

Last edited:

Nvzman

Saints Row IV was made by Volition's B-team at the time iirc, so it felt kind of like an AA game but I remember absolutely loving it. I think is honestly much better than The Third and its super underrated. The superpowers made it stand out and was a lot more fun than most open world stuff around that time. The last good Saints Row game before whatever the fuck happened to Volition.

intbal

LWIpQBX.jpg

Sprawling open world. A variety of combat systems. Lots of lore.
Distinct from other RPGs of the same type.
Good challenge (at least for the first ten hours).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Greedfall
Vampyr (mentioned above)
Rebel Galaxy (if you like space combat)
Tinykin

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Evil Genius 2
Grounded