• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye achievement unlocked by RARE dev

daTRUballin

I wonder if theres is still someone at Rare who worked on the original Goldeneye game.
The composer Robin Beanland was responsible for 2 tracks in the game. He's still there doing music for their games.

There MIGHT be only like 1 or 2 others left from the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark team, but I kinda doubt it. A lot of people on the internet wrongly assume everyone from the old days are gone from Rare, but that is actually one of the few teams from the old days that is basically nonexistent at this point.

Last edited:
i6vkX9k.gif

Deerock71

I don't agree. These games have a unique, satisfying feel to the shooting and use concepts which are still novel to this day. And the level design still rocks.
I remember one reviewer stating the game morphs into a straight-up puzzle game when you try to beat the dev times and unlocking cheats. I couldn't agree with that statement more. Rare poured it ALL into this project.

Last edited:

kirby007

I'm on the fence recently played sim city 3000 after not playing it for maybe 20 years, it wasn't what I remember spending tons of hours on. I HOPE it won't be the same here, will 100% play if no hoax

MAtgS

You know, it just dawned on me that if Microsoft got the Goleneye license and owns Activision then there's nothing stopping them from porting the 2010 remake.

93xfan

Banned
You know, it just dawned on me that if Microsoft got the Goleneye license and owns Activision then there's nothing stopping them from porting the 2010 remake.
If we’re talking about other Bond games, I’d also love to see Nightfire and Quantom of Solace

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If this game ever releases, I'm truly interested what kind of reviews it'll get because everytime I hear about this game, it's supposed to be the best console shooter ever in he 90s.

Banned
If this game ever releases, I'm truly interested what kind of reviews it'll get because everytime I hear about this game, it's supposed to be the best console shooter ever in he 90s.

well it is the best console shooters in the 90s, but that isn't saying much if we're honest.

it's pretty good tho. not nearly as good as Perfect Dark but good

Banned
Looking forward to this but I actually didn't like the remastered graphics and models.

Perfect Dark was certaint handled way better, but that was also made by a different team (4J Studios) and the more unrealistic and stylised scifi look is easier to modernize I bet

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its a great game but im afraid more modern games make it look very aged. I wouldn't recommend it right now, at least not for full price.

It's going to be free or like $10-20 max. And no doubt included with gamepass.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Presumably this'll be added on gamepass during the Microsoft/ Bethesda event. Which is ideal because I'd like to have a look, but I think it'll probably feel like the game from 20 years ago that it is.

Last edited:

Moses85

I am sure it will also be released on Switch. Due to the low horsepower auf the switch i guess it will be the original N64 Version for NSO Service

Havoc2049

I wonder if theres is still someone at Rare who worked on the original Goldeneye game.

The composer Robin Beanland was responsible for 2 tracks in the game. He's still there doing music for their games.

There MIGHT be only like 1 or 2 others left from the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark team, but I kinda doubt it. A lot of people on the internet wrongly assume everyone from the old days are gone from Rare, but that is actually one of the few teams from the old days that is basically nonexistent at this point.
Actually, the majority of the Goldeneye team left midway thorough Perfect Dark developement. Dev drama didn't get reported in the media back then like it does today, but Perfect Dark went through dev hell. The Project Lead of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left Rare and took the majority of the core team with him and they formed Free Radical. The only person left of the core team was the lead programmer of Perfect Dark and he was promoted to Project Lead and Rare brought in a bunch of people from other projects to help finish Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark was supposed to be released in 1999, but it didn't get released until the summer of 2000. I guess Nintendo was pissed off at Rare, because they like their big projects to have strong sales over an extended period, but with the GameCube coming out in 2001, it hurt long term sales of Perfect Dark.

daTRUballin

Actually, the majority of the Goldeneye team left midway thorough Perfect Dark developement. Dev drama didn't get reported in the media back then like it does today, but Perfect Dark went through dev hell. The Project Lead of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark left Rare and took the majority of the core team with him and they formed Free Radical. The only person left of the core team was the lead programmer of Perfect Dark and he was promoted to Project Lead and Rare brought in a bunch of people from other projects to help finish Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark was supposed to be released in 1999, but it didn't get released until the summer of 2000. I guess Nintendo was pissed off at Rare, because they like their big projects to have strong sales over an extended period, but with the GameCube coming out in 2001, it hurt long term sales of Perfect Dark.
The project lead was Martin Hollis who left in 1998 and later formed Zoonami. David Doak and a few others were the ones that formed Free Radical. One of Goldeneye's composers, Graeme Norgate, left in 1999 and joined them.

I assume the lead programmer that you're talking about is Chris Tilston? He wasn't the only one remaining once the others left. Duncan Botwood, Mark Edmonds, and B Jones stayed and helped finish PD. And maybe some others I'm forgetting about.

Botwood and Edmonds stayed at Rare as late as 2008/2009!

But yes, the GE/PD team was the one that suffered the most turnover. It's just annoying when some people act like the Free Radical folks represented 90% of Rare's talent. Not pointing at you, just talking about other people in general :p

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The project lead was Martin Hollis who left in 1998 and later formed Zoonami. David Doak and a few others were the ones that formed Free Radical. One of Goldeneye's composers, Graeme Norgate, left in 1999 and joined them.

I assume the lead programmer that you're talking about is Chris Tilston? He wasn't the only one remaining once the others left. Duncan Botwood, Mark Edmonds, and B Jones stayed and helped finish PD. And maybe some others I'm forgetting about.

Botwood and Edmonds stayed at Rare as late as 2008/2009!

But yes, the GE/PD team was the one that suffered the most turnover. It's just annoying when some people act like the Free Radical folks represented 90% of Rare's talent. Not pointing at you, just talking about other people in general :p
Not trying to bag on Rare at all. Rare has made some great games in the past and they continue to make great games. I'm a big Sea of Thieves fan and have been digging into Rare's history and back catalog over the last couple of years. I wasn't a Nintendo console owner back in the day, so I don't have much history with Rare's back catalog, other than playing a little Goldeneye and Perfect Dark multiplayer on my roomates N64 back in the day. I also really enjoyed Conker: Live and Reloaded multiplayer back in the day.

The Video Game History Hour podcast did a nice deep dive into Perfect Dark and all the drama surrounding the development of the game. Of course when doing a deep dive into Perfect Dark, it's going to involve Rare, Nintendo, Goldeneye and Free Radical.

Last edited:

Banned

to be fair, Nintendo should have given Rare a few more months and let them convert the game into a GameCube launch-window title.

that would also have done wonders for the framerate of the game lol.

Top Bottom