• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye achievement unlocked by RARE dev

Karmic Raze

I’m really looking forward to this. I played the crap out of Goldeneye 007 on N64 back in the day. I still remember trying it out for the first time at a kiosk at Walmart and I was literally blown away.

daTRUballin

Not trying to bag on Rare at all. Rare has made some great games in the past and they continue to make great games. I'm a big Sea of Thieves fan and have been digging into Rare's history and back catalog over the last couple of years. I wasn't a Nintendo console owner back in the day, so I don't have much history with Rare's back catalog, other than playing a little Goldeneye and Perfect Dark multiplayer on my roomates N64 back in the day. I also really enjoyed Conker: Live and Reloaded multiplayer back in the day.

The Video Game History Hour podcast did a nice deep dive into Perfect Dark and all the drama surrounding the development of the game. Of course when doing a deep dive into Perfect Dark, it's going to involve Rare, Nintendo, Goldeneye and Free Radical.
I recommend you check out this article that Eurogamer did on Perfect Dark's development a couple of years ago if you haven't already.

https://www.eurogamer.net/perfect-dark-the-oral-history-of-an-n64-classic

It goes into great detail about all the problems that went on and the company culture at Rare during those days. Lots of GE/PD team members are interviewed. Some really fascinating and even funny tidbits in there.

Top Bottom