• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden joystick award :TLOU2 wins the Ultimate GOTY and sweeps the award show

Certinty

I think overall it deserves awards.

The graphics, level design, voice acting, gameplay, gunplay are all superb bar none.

Don’t think the horrific story and the amount of times it drags on for should completely overshadow everything the game did right.

In all honesty, I just feel sorry for most Naughty Dog developers. To make a masterpiece and have one man ruin it in the eyes of many is disgraceful.

Kids ? For a M rated game?
It's a good thing that Sony implemented that patented Kid Safe technology that automatically shuts off the PS4 and alerts the authorities when a child plays an M rated game.

Real talk, if a kid wants to play an M rated game, they'll find a way to do it. I was playing GTA1 when I was like 12 lol, and that was back when you actually had to go in store to buy videogames. These days you can buy and play an M rated game within minutes, and it doesn't card you every time you check out.

In any case, I was referencing this:

Last edited:

INC

I think overall it deserves awards.

The graphics, level design, voice acting, gameplay, gunplay are all superb bar none.

Don’t think the horrific story and the amount of times it drags on for should completely overshadow everything the game did right.

In all honesty, I just feel sorry for most Naughty Dog developers. To make a masterpiece and have one man ruin it in the eyes of many is disgraceful.

It wasnt ruined by 1 man tho, unless u mean abby?

Hopefully, it will be a similar outcome at The Video Game Awards next month. But I am afraid Hades will get the win over tlou2 since it's a niche indie game and the critic board loves those
Isometric games should never get more than 4/10 on any serious review.

Games in the genre should not get more than 1.5 on average.

I am the authority in the matter, so don't come at me with your arguments and don't tell me to play this game.

Edit: TLoU2 was amazing, I should probably replay it already.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Congratulations to Naughty Dog and SIE.

Remember, this is a publicly voted award given out by the fans and players, not critics.

GbHZPvd.jpg

I thought it was a panel of judges with the winner of the public vote counting as if a single judge voted for it or is that a different award?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Good. The incessant whining about this game just because it did something different (not always entirely successfully) was pathetic.

Some gamers complain about games never innovating, changing or mixing up tried and tested formulas... and also moan when somebody does just that.

Great to see that the majority loved TLOU2. It deserves the accolade for moving the games industry forward in terms of telling different, more mature stories.

Interesting how Avengers won the best performer award for Kamala Khan's actress over anyone in TLoU2, considering it won "best storytelling". Now that I think back on it, she did a good job. But I think it's interesting because the overall reception to Avengers was rather negative.

I thought it was a panel of judges with the winner of the public vote counting as if a single judge voted for it or is that a different award?
Probably a different award. This one is just a popular internet vote.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

This award for tlou2 is par for your course.. I'm sure they had the award already tee'd up to hand over to ND. ND never has taken a mulligan for their games, they have always sunk a hole in one when they release them.

Congrats.

Fbh

Come on Sony fans, if you are going to vote for an exclusive this year at least vote for the cool one:
u6JyYsV.gif

I definitely think TLOU2 deserves getting some technical awards. The voice acting is solid and the visuals are absolutely amazing, specially considering the hardware this is running on.
As a game though I didn't hate but I didn't love it, even with some new mechanics I enjoyed the first one a lot more due to its more enjoyable story, shorter length that doesn't outstay its welcome and MUCH better pacing. TLOU2 joined Persona 5 this gen as the only 2 games where I lowered the difficulty halfway through because I was getting tired of it. In TLOU I scaled back the item scarcity because 20 hours in I was bored as hell of slowly going through abandoned houses opening empty drawers only to go on to another encounter with the same handful of enemy types.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
So who actually voted in this award? Only 20k views in Twitch, 9.3k views in YT.
I wonder how many people actually voted.

iQuasarLV

So. It swept with what actual worthy competition this year that was not a 1) sequel. 2) remake. 3) relaunch on another platform 4)yearly update. ?

I was very disappointed in the game's story buy I ain't even mad. Good for ND. Now if Halo 5 wiped the floors back in 2015 THEN I would be mad

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I didn't like the story and the gameplay got stale a little after half way through. I thought the game was disappointing and didn't finish it.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

That’s just the same mechanic as guards “ hearing “ you in uncharted games. You can even throw things as a diversion.

That’s why I’m not replying. Just because ones a dog and ones a guard doesn’t make it that different.

I said it was controversial opinion. If you don’t like it that’s on you. 🤷‍♂️

Keihart

That’s just the same mechanic as guards “ hearing “ you in uncharted games. You can even throw things as a diversion.

That’s why I’m not replying. Just because ones a dog and ones a guard doesn’t make it that different.

It's isn't you dumbass, it doesn't depend on sound. Dogs smell your farts and work in teams with handlers. "same mechanic as guards hearing"
iu

Yoboman

There are no distraction devices in Uncharted 3. Guards do not hear you, or have any complex stealth AI. They either spot you or not and you can't re-enter stealth once spotted. You can also only use it in a couple of scenarios

UC3 stealth is as barebones as a stealth component can be. The fact you are trying to compare them is why everyone is mocking you

That and it couldn't be more obvious you haven't played either game

Last edited:
Top Bottom