• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

Overall, my complaints would be...

1) most of the map sizes feel too small. It's so enjoyable destroying buildings, to see so much untouchable city becomes frustrating. Apparently they were even smaller in the PS3 version? Yikes
2) We all have our missing favorites from the roster but not having Megalon, Titanosaurus, one version of 70s Godzilla and King Ceasar hurts. Especially when we do have several other monsters from that era (74 and 75 MechaGodzilla, Hedorah, Jet Jaguar and updated FW Gigan).
3) Why is there no Free Battle Mode vs the CPU? I want the ability to pick a map and have 3 way fights offline. King of Kaiju is not a replacement for this type of mode.
4) Local coop and VS modes would have been amazing

These issues were born from, I assume, a lack of budget and time. Those things aside, you can see the dev team's passion for Godzilla shine through. They're fans of the character and created something for fellow fans. They wanted to recreate the feel of the movies and they fucking nailed it. In that regard, this game is a success in my eyes and totally worth the price tag. This is going to be very much like Generations in that it gets poor to middling reviews but will be beloved by fans years down the road. A Godzilla Simulator (as in true to the films) is never going to be enticing to casual fans or reach mass appeal, at least not without a larger budget and better production values. For what this is and the constraints under which it was developed, Godzilla PS4 is great experience for superfans and is at least worth a rental for anyone who's enjoyed the movies.
yeah, total swerve

Good points for sure. I imagine most of them do just come down to budget which is a shame. Imagine if they had been given free reign to do whatever? Could have been incredible. I'm guessing the devs had a limit to how many characters they could include and just picked their favourites. I'd like to add that I think you should be able to get evolution energy from every mode and also materials from fighting online.

Unless by some miracle this game sells more than expected then I kind of doubt we will be seeing another Godzilla home console game for a long time. Most I would expect is a mobile tie-in for the next movie. I would kill for a sequel that expands and improves on this formula though.

Online Battle #2: Biollante cheesing the competition

That charge attack is OP, yo.

How to Unlock Jet Jaguar in the very first stage in God of Destruction mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Jq771ziYs

Basically, just get a 50% destruction or above before destroying the generator.

So reading something like this earlier, I tried it and it didn't work. Got to a bit over 60% and destroyed the generator but a cut scene kicked in bringing with it the end of the level. We're talking about the upper most mode of play? Should I weaken the generator first?

Edit: I've only played this once.

So reading something like this earlier, I tried it and it didn't work. Got to a bit over 60% and destroyed the generator but a cut scene kicked in bringing with it the end of the level. We're talking about the upper most mode of play? Should I weaken the generator first?

Edit: I've only played this once.

It's possible you have to beat the game first. I already had the final ending when I got JJ so maybe that's a factor. Other than that, you have to get the required destruction level and destroy the generator under a certain amount of time apparently.

The multiplayer is so fun. Everyone slowly circling around and sizing eachother up, giving a few roars for good measure. Shit is authentic, yo. Everyone seems like a good sport.

Kinsei

Banned
I tried the hard path and immediately got killed by a 100m Hedorah. Did I do something wrong?

Nope. Every time I've gone down the hard path I've encountered a 100m monster in the first stage. After dying to them and selecting continue they were 55m on my next try.

Nope. Every time I've gone down the hard path I've encountered a 100m monster in the first stage. After dying to them and selecting continue they were 55m on my next try.
Well, I didn't do that. Hmm... May as well get the easy path put of the way first. Hopefully I'll encounter Jet Jaguar so I can start upgrading Godzilla.

Well, I didn't do that. Hmm... May as well get the easy path put of the way first. Hopefully I'll encounter Jet Jaguar so I can start upgrading Godzilla.

Jet Jaguar shows up on the first stage if you meet the requirements. He isn't a random encounter.

Kinsei

Banned
Jet Jaguar shows up on the first stage if you meet the requirements. He isn't a random encounter.

He shows up elsewhere as well. There's a trophy for beating him three times in a single God of Destruction playthrough.

I forget which stage it was, but he showed up as a set encounter in a stage on the normal route on the same run I fought him in the first stage. Anyone know where the third encounter is?

I figure this is a good place to ask, I'm a minor Godzilla fan and I'm enjoying the game. I was wondering what you guys would say the best movies to check out would be. I've seen the original, Monster Zero, and Godzilla vs. Rodan.

He shows up elsewhere as well. There's a trophy for beating him three times in a single God of Destruction playthrough.

I forget which stage it was, but he showed up as a set encounter in a stage on the normal route on the same run I fought him in the first stage. Anyone know where the third encounter is?

Yeah but he only shows up like that after you have beat him once. I think the stage encounters are random aren't they?

Kinsei

Banned
I figure this is a good place to ask, I'm a minor Godzilla fan and I'm enjoying the game. I was wondering what you guys would say the best movies to check out would be. I've seen the original, Monster Zero, and Godzilla vs. Rodan.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

Yeah but he only shows up like that after you have beat him once. I think the stage encounters are random aren't they?

I thought since he had a special requirement to show up in the first stage all of them had special requirements to show up and I had unknowingly triggered that fight somehow.

The multiplayer is so fun. Everyone slowly circling around and sizing eachother up, giving a few roars for good measure. Shit is authentic, yo. Everyone seems like a good sport.

Man, that sounds so cool. I already planned to get the game, but was waiting to complete a few more games I have first. Online battle though, with the circling and roaring, is making me bend. So awesome :)

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Godzilla vs. Biollante, and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

I thought since he had a special requirement to show up in the first stage all of them had special requirements to show up and I had unknowingly triggered that fight somehow.

He just shows up for me as the enemy for certain stages now. Like his picture and name will be in the little box that tells you who shows up in that stage. Can you force him to appear in stages other than the first one then?

Experien

I tried the hard path and immediately got killed by a 100m Hedorah. Did I do something wrong?

I did an easy path, put one upgrade into breath charge and then did a semi-hard path. They threw a 100m Mechagodzilla at me when I was 64m. I managed to beat him but it was a tough battle!

Sephzilla

Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla (1974)
Return of Godzilla (aka Godzilla 1985)
Godzilla vs Biollante
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah
Godzilla Final Wars

Dragoshi1

Godzilla '14 is pretty OP if you go L1+R1 and than X for canceling out most monsters, and shaving off a quarter of the HP bar. L1+R1 than O is just a cool looking move, too.

Tizoc

Slightly off topic but was curious what are the must watch
King Kong movies
Gamera movies

Been interested in Kaiju/Giant monsters lately :p

Nia

I played as Mothra in the campaign yesterday and ended up facing off against
Legendary Godzilla
. I was horrified, but I beat him on my second try.

King Kong movies
Gamera movies

King Kong Vs. Godzilla is probably the quintessential Toho Kong film and it just happens that it came out on blu ray last year.

As for Gamera, unless you're particularly interested in the a more kid-friendly monster, you can mostly ignore the Showa films from 1965-80. Instead, watch the Heisei films including 1995's Gamera: Guardian of the Universe.

King Kong movies
Gamera movies

The nineties Gamera trilogy is really good. I enjoy most of the earlier ones as well but they are pretty mixed. Check out the first three for sure. After that the series is mediocre until the nineties films. Avoid Gamera: Super Monster though.

So basically:

Gamera: The Giant Monster
Gamera vs Barugon
Gamera vs Gyaos
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera: Attack of The Legion
Gamera: Revenge of Iris

Nibiru

Banned

Heisei era. You can google it just make sure you watch them in sequence they are tied together. Just google Godzilla Chronology. Start at Godzilla vs. Biollante and end at Destroyah.

Jabba

Banned
This game looks like its gonna be one of those that has 2 copies released in each country lol.

You would think so being an obscure title. To my total amazement the Seekonk Mass. Best Buy had 5 copies. The Walmart in Seekonk, Mass didn't have it

I was about to give up at that particular Best Buy and, said to myself, "Damn, Best Buy is slacking, but let me look behind this last row of other games anyway."

Voila, Kaiju goodness.

Tizoc

Thanks for the info guys. From reading online all 3 main King Kong movies are worth watching.
How's the 2nd Toho KK movie if only for shits and giggles?

Fucking bought it before Friday. Couldn't wait. I'm gonna master this crazy ass game and become the best mecha player out there.

Sephzilla

I'm going to play some multiplayer tonight to get the trophies before the community dies.

This was my thought too. Went and got the multiplayer trophies right away so I don't have to worry about them later.

The multiplayer is fun but there needs to be a 4 player mode I think. A lot of the triple threat matches I did basically turned into one monster sitting back and waiting until one of the other monsters dies. Though I did have a fun fight where I was part of a double KO and the third monster won by just standing there.

Kinsei

Banned
After playing through God of Destruction mode the four times required to get 100% data I'm only missing three Kaiju! Mothra, Battra, and whatever is in between Gigan and Destoroyah on the invasion screen.

Here's a tip for getting the trophy for beating King of the Kaiju mode in under 6 minutes. Use Biollante and mash X only stopping to use your R2 special whenever your gauge is full.

Daingurse

Finally able to get my copy out of the mailbox, had to catch the mailman because we lost our key lol. Can't wait to play this bad boy.

After playing through God of Destruction mode the four times required to get 100% data I'm only missing three Kaiju! Mothra, Battra, and whatever is in between Gigan and Destoroyah on the invasion screen.

Here's a tip for getting the trophy for beating King of the Kaiju mode in under 6 minutes. Use Biollante and mash X only stopping to use your R2 special whenever your gauge is full.

Use Biollante is basically the advice if you want to succeed in every mode.

Use Biollante is basically the advice if you want to succeed in every mode.

I just fought one online and wrecked him with Mecha GH. Lasers in the face does far too much damage.

I should probably post my impressions, too!

So I've been playing this game for two hours straight, and I must say that it's much, much better than the people here are letting on. And that's good news, since the majority is strictly positive.

Godzilla's normal Go Ashore mode is a great primer for things to come, and the pathways make it not too hard but not too easy on you while still allowing you to unlock characters at a pretty fast rate. After finishing that (on mostly Easy) and running through Villains mode with Mecha Godzilla got me almost half the cast. I hate defending shit, but Defend mode brings some more strategy since you don't want to blow up buildings around you. Plus, you meet Kaiju there without any interference, which is great.

All of the three or so characters I've played have moved and responded perfectly. It took me no time at all to get used to the controls, how the size system works, or what I should prioritize. A deeper combo system would have been nice, but then we wouldn't have broken ass things like Mecha GH's three laser special platter.

Rarely do I get drops, but that's because the graphics are merely serviceable, but who gives a shit when I'm knocking over the buildings and not looking at them?

There's a shitload of content, and it might be one of those games I actually do everything in 100 percent. It's a love letter to Godzilla fans, and even if you are a casual one, don't sleep on this if you see a price drop (I saw one for 50 on amazon already, but I had to get a digital copy because I didn't want to travel to the store).

Camjo-Z

Wow at the $60 pricetag, what on earth were they thinking. I had some fun with the Japanese demo on PS3 and thought about checking this out but I'll wait until I see it in the bargain bin a month from now.

wwm0nkey

After you get a hang of the combos and unlock a few evolution paths you can steam roll anything lol

Still enjoying the game, online can be a bitch though

Kinsei

Banned
Just tried out online. It's fun! My final match of the night was great, it was Burning Godzilla (me) vs Destoroyah.

After you get a hang of the combos and unlock a few evolution paths you can steam roll anything lol

Still enjoying the game, online can be a bitch though
I did the 10 matches for the trophies and I think that's enough for me until I really get a hold on how the combo and cancelling system works. Plus, I don't have Biollante yet so I get steamrolled by her every time.

Though I did find some success with MKG and Gigan.
Just tried out online. It's fun! My final match of the night was great, it was Burning Godzilla (me) vs Destoroyah.
How do you unlock Burning Godzilla?

Kinsei

Banned
I did the 10 matches for the trophies and I think that's enough for me until I really get a hold on how the combo and cancelling system works. Plus, I don't have Biollante yet so I get steamrolled by her every time.

Though I did find some success with MKG and Gigan.

How do you unlock Burning Godzilla?

Play through either Invasion or Defense mode in God of Destruction. Burning Godzilla is the final boss in those modes instead of 2014 Godzilla.

Tapejara

Still waiting on Amazon to ship it :(. But I got some new Blu-rays to tide me over: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. Mothra, Godzilla vs. Gigan, and Mothra 1/2/3. It's too bad Toho/Sony haven't(can't?) released the earlier films on Blu-ray. I know Kraken got some of the rights to them, as that's why I was able to get Gigan, but the early stuff is still missing.

Can't wait for multiplayer though. Trying to get convince all of my friends to pick it up.

Figured out the route for Jet Jaguar 3X in King of Destruction. You gotta do areas 1, 2, 4, 7, 12, and 16. He's guaranteed to appear in areas 1 and 16 should you meet the requirements. Seen him once at 15, so I'm not sure if area 7 is guaranteed as well.

Edit: he appears in area 15 and 16 in invasion mode. Always paired with Mecha King Ghidora in 15...which is the easier route lol

zeopower6

Wow at the $60 pricetag, what on earth were they thinking. I had some fun with the Japanese demo on PS3 and thought about checking this out but I'll wait until I see it in the bargain bin a month from now.

I'd guess it was either 59.99 MSRP or digital only, perhaps?

And who knows if there will be enough copies for a bargain bin since it sounds like they didn't print many.

Mine shipped from Amazon two days ago, I think. Should be here soon~ ...wait a minute, it shipped today but apparently they didn't get to deliver it?! Seems that they came at around 7am and couldn't get in >_>~

There's a fair amount of content in here. Unlockable moves, most of the monsters play completely different, a story mode for one godzilla with different pathways, two separate modes where you either defend or attack as different kaijiu, a neat little diorama mode, a serviceable online component, and a fairly deep combat system.

It needs a local multiplayer mode, and a VS CPU in addition to better graphics and some tweaks (mainly stupid small things like Jet Jaugar unlocking) but it's perfect for Godzilla fans.

Top Bottom