• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Topher

Gold Member
What people dont realize is that even if GOW Ragnorak is a great GOTY contender, it basically means this great studio wont have a next gen game until 2027. Probably 2028. Yeah, the optics are bad for Sony.

Going to have a kickass game in a few days and you still find something to be negative about.

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

Last edited:

gow3isben

So Playstation exclusives this year:

God of War Ragnarok (possibly the best playstation game of all time)
Horizon Forbidden West
GT7 (possibly the best Gran Turismo)
Last of Us Remake
Sifu
Stray

Are you shitting me? An all-time year for PS gamers.

Playstation has no competition at all this year.

Man, Gow3 was such an awe inspiring game but tbh Cory did the same thing and made gow2 on ps2 despite the first one releasing around the same time as the ps3 reveal at e3. Devkits were out. Insomniac, nd, incognito, kojipro and ninja theory were all hard at work on ps3 games but Cory comes along and makes it a ps2 game. Great game that was nonetheless overshadowed by next Gen games like halo 3, bioshock, mass effect, and uncharted. This time he got lucky and had no next Gen competition.

What people dont realize is that even if GOW Ragnorak is a great GOTY contender, it basically means this great studio wont have a next gen game until 2027. Probably 2028. Yeah, the optics are bad for Sony. Yeah, the game will win awards. Yes, the game will still be a great game, but it wont change the fact that SSM wont be ready for next gen until the very end of this gen. And for fans of this studio and this franchise, and people who truly believe in Cerny's mission statement for the PS5, it is a massive disappointment.

Sony cares about sales, not optics

GoW:R is gonna sell them another 20M

GooseMan69

Horizon Forbidden West
Last of Us Remake
Sifu
Stray

Yeah. It’s getting to the point where basically all I play is Sony exclusives.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Man, Gow3 was such an awe inspiring game but tbh Cory did the same thing and made gow2 on ps2 despite the first one releasing around the same time as the ps3 reveal at e3. Devkits were out. Insomniac, nd, incognito, kojipro and ninja theory were all hard at work on ps3 games but Cory comes along and makes it a ps2 game. Great game that was nonetheless overshadowed by next Gen games like halo 3, bioshock, mass effect, and uncharted. This time he got lucky and had no next Gen competition.

What people dont realize is that even if GOW Ragnorak is a great GOTY contender, it basically means this great studio wont have a next gen game until 2027. Probably 2028. Yeah, the optics are bad for Sony. Yeah, the game will win awards. Yes, the game will still be a great game, but it wont change the fact that SSM wont be ready for next gen until the very end of this gen. And for fans of this studio and this franchise, and people who truly believe in Cerny's mission statement for the PS5, it is a massive disappointment.
They have two teams and Cory Barlog game has been in the works for a few years now. That's probably 2ish years away if we are fortunate

2027 is probably right for the next GOW. Unless that's what Cory is making

Yeah. It’s getting to the point where basically all I play is Sony exclusives.

I won’t say its all i play but when its comes to AAA games theres very few other publishers/devs i get really excited about. thats why the only showcase i’ve been really wanting is a sony first party showcase, nothing else really compares to a new playstation studios game

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Horizon Forbidden West
Last of Us Remake
Sifu
Stray

As a massive Sony fan, I'd say it was a bit meh for me. I usually like everything Sony offers but..

Horizon Forbidden West - I did not like Zero Dawn, I put probably 10-15+ hours over multiple attempts to try to get into it.. Just boring!
GT7- Very underwhelming, very disappointing, and to me it failed to capture what made the original GT's good. Poorly designed and terrible grinding system.
Sifi - Still waiting for sale.. It's still only a small indie, don't think it's worth full price.
Stray - Looked nice and was ok, but found it a little boring also, game is slightly overrated but it is an indie.

Last of Us Remake - I loved it but it wasn't a total new experience considering it would be the third time I played through the story!
GOW Raganarok - I'm sure I'm going to love.. First game is one of my all time fav games!

If it weren't for Ragnarok and possibly LOU Remake, I think I would consider it to be a lackluster year.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I will try to fly through the rest of the 2018 game before this comes out. I'll put Ghost of Tsushima down for a moment. Amazing scores!

You are mistaken. The next GOW will hit around late 2027/early 2028 indeed, but Cory's new IP will launch prior to that: 2024 or 2025 at the latest.

Fredrik

Preinstalled! Now the waiting starts…
I’ve seen so many 10/10 from people I trust, and a 9 from Fextralife bodes well, rarely goes higher.

Reactions: Isa

kikkis

Preinstalled! Now the waiting starts…
I’ve seen so many 10/10 from people I trust, and a 9 from Fextralife bodes well, rarely goes higher.
I liked that fextralife review, really down to earth unlike four instance the ign review.

jm89

iAKuiKz.jpg
Hope the side quest really as good as they say. I saw some reviews praise it a lots.
I can't even remember side quests from 2018. Really good to see more improvements on side quests, guerilla did an amazing job with horizon forbidden west and now Santa Monica. Hopefully we can move away from the side quests of fetching and barely any story in more games.

Last edited:

Hestar69

PlayStation Nation will welcome you with open arms once you sell your Xbox

We have squirrels
ctBGOGg.jpg

I'll never forget those commercials for the psp or egoraptors video he made about them lol

OT: Glad the scores are good. Tempted to get it,but 70 is pricey especially with pokemon coming out in a few weeks. Here's hoping for a BF sale.

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I'm very excited to hear about the side quests being so good. Nothing I have more than side content that feels like a slog, but you still need to do it if you want to have cool armor or weapons.

The fact that so many reviews mention that there is still a lot to discover and areas to go back to after the credits, do seem to spoil one thing, don't they?

I didn't play the game yet, but I figure

that Kratos survives and the world didn't end and was reborn, so they managed to stop Ragnarok. [\spoiler]

Anyway, I really don't understand why people get so worked up about what game wins GOTY. Does GOWR deserve it? Probably, yes. Does Elden Ring deserve it? Yes. Is your enjoyment of either game dependent on them winning it? No.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I liked that fextralife review, really down to earth unlike four instance the ign review.
Yeah Fextralife is solid for these types of games. And the 9 can easily be a 10 for fans, biggest complaint is that it’s ”safe”, I’m just thinking that Forza Horizon has been ”safe” since FH2 and it’s still my favorite racing serie.

shubik

Just preordered the physical edition in the hope that the store will ship it a couple of days earlier :D Can´t remember I did that the last time.

Top Bottom