• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök | Review Thread

What score do you predict God of War Ragnarök will receive?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 20-10%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50-60%

• 60-70%

• 70-80%

• 80-85%

• 85-90%

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • 95%-99%

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • 100%

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLB1904

Banned
It was definitely more accessible than DMC, Bayo, or Gaiden, but with GoW2018 instead of making it more complex they just dumbed it down. For some people that was a step in the wrong direction that made is less enjoyable. The lack of aerial combat and combos is fairly evident I'm not sure there is much to debate. The ground combat maybe the same, though I'd say a bit worse due to the limited weapon variety and having the camera so close which reduces spatial awareness.
Go fight the valkyries and see how that works out for you troll

It was definitely more accessible than DMC, Bayo, or Gaiden, but with GoW2018 instead of making it more complex they just dumbed it down. For some people that was a step in the wrong direction that made is less enjoyable. The lack of aerial combat and combos is fairly evident I'm not sure there is much to debate. The ground combat maybe the same, though I'd say a bit worse due to the limited weapon variety and having the camera so close which reduces spatial awareness.
The combat isn't dumbed its different. Aerial combat isn't an auto depth feature and it was replaced with air juggling.

Edit: You can make your own combos, you do know that right?

Last edited:

Humdinger

I don't know if this really helps, as it is a playlist explaining stuff related to the 2018 game, but I find the channel a nice watch (in general, not just related to GoW):

(and obviously spoilers for the 2018 game)

Thanks, I'll watch it. I was a little confused by the characters in the 2018 game, so that will help.

The Stig

NGL, I’m pretty shocked seeing my own obsession with cum laid out like that.

Beer Drinking GIF by lilcozynostril
for you:
oh-my-gooood.gif

Vick

Yes exactly. There has been no innovation in the fighting system as far as most reviewers were concerned. And the original game scrapped a lot of the combat complexity to make it more accessible to your average gamer. This was a consequence of wanting to be more cinematic, so the aerial combat was scrapped compared to prior games. In effect GoW became a more generic 3rd person action game in the gameplay department, but gained in being more cinematic and up close. Many people considered GoW in the realm of ninja Gaiden, dmc, etc, but now it's more like Assassin's Creed level of combat (or perhaps slightly better) and for some people the appeal of the gameplay is gone but the story and set pieces are still nice.
the-shining-jack.gif

This might be the single worst post in the entire Thread..

Is your experience with the first game limited to Youtube videos of the tutorial section?
Because after this load of nonsense has to be, and makes me wonder what on earth compelled you to come in a place full of people who played the game just to post such ridiculous thing?

Take a look at this video, given you obviously have lot of free time, to understand how far off the mark you are:

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

"Dumbed down combat".. the old games were literal button mashing QTE short cutscenes in comparison and I've completed them all at max difficulty multiple times since 2005. Hell, I only play games at their max difficulty and even with no reticle on TPS/FPS and GoW2018 is kicking my ass in brutal fashion on GMGOW difficulty right now, to the point my damn hands hurt.. did it already years ago but forgot how damn hard the first section of the game is.

So dumbed down in fact, it allows you do to stuff that makes people believe you hacked the game ffs:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

@ GodsBattle Yeah I’ve tried too, it’s difficult.

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

GTFO with this nonsense.

Last edited:

GymWolf

the-shining-jack.gif

Is your experience with the first game limited to Youtube videos of the tutorial section?
Because after this load of nonsense has to be, and makes me wonder what on earth compelled you to come in a place full of people who played the game just to post such ridiculous thing?

Take a look at this video, given you obviously have lot of free time, to understand how far off the mark you are:

"It's about the skills, because alot of the time in DMC or Bayonetta you kind of button mash your way into victory, you can't do that with God of War. It's very much about the precision of what's going on around you, and because it's so tightly controlled, because it's so well designed, you're able to maintain that control the entire way through, and it's just absolutely brilliant."

"You can craft new sets of armors, and within each of those they all have their own different stats that can actually unlock different play-styles if you want it. If you want to specialize in your abilities being really low cooled down that's what you can do, if you just want to punch and kick shit to death, there's an armor set specifically for punching and kicking shit to death. Like there's build diversity in a GoW game ffs, that's how good it is and it's not just token, it's really meaningful differences in how you play this game based upon how you chose to gear yourself.
So those are the gameplay systems and you might think of what I just said and being "yeah okay that sounds okay".. i can't explain to you how good this gameplay feels."
- SkillUp

"Dumbed down combat".. the old games were literal button mashing QTE short cutscenes in comparison and I've completed them all at max difficulty multiple times since 2005. Hell, I only play games at their max difficulty and even with no reticle on TPS/FPS and GoW2018 is kicking my ass in brutal fashion on GMGOW difficulty right now, to the point my damn hands hurt.. did it already years ago but forgot how damn hard the first section of the game is.

So dumbed down in fact, it allows you do to stuff that makes people believe you hacked the game ffs:

Ian Cassady
The combos are amazing BUT the combos with the speed of how he’s transitions weapons is what really is blowing my mind. How his attacks don’t have any break at all. Completely flawless.......

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy
I dont even think is possible anyways, he cheat the games somehow like that dude with camera, you cant to them transitions like that, he skipping the animations somehow ive tried a lot of times and cant do that because there are animations goin on he hacked the game.

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle
He has multiple videos explaining how he does it. But I still don’t know how he cancels animations. But he isn’t the only one that’s been able to do it.

@ The Fire Fades swear i tried so so many times, is not working man, and im not a noob, im playing games since nintendo famicom

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle
the issue with trying to accomplish what you see in this video (may hours of trial and error) is that the button inputs must be extremely fast and precise. It is in fact possible to do every combo you see in this video. But you must play for hours upon hours to achieve that speed and be very comfortable with the controls. Keep trying! You’ll be a god of war soon!

Thanos
@ GodsBattle
It's either you're doing the combos too fast or too slow. If you had listened to GBG about the timing between the combos you'd be able to pull it off. Just because you're unable to achieve this doesn't mean no one else can, that just goes to show that GBG is on a completely different level compared to everyone else

GTFO with this nonsense.

Slightly unrelated question, were you the guy who beated the trials in frozen wild at ultra hard?

Last edited:
the-shining-jack.gif

- SkillUp

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

GTFO with this nonsense.

k11BmBo.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
the-shining-jack.gif

- SkillUp

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

GTFO with this nonsense.

rekt GIF

Gudji

the-shining-jack.gif

- SkillUp

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

GTFO with this nonsense.

The Best Mic Drop GIF by #MTNBrightSideGIFs

Vick

Slightly unrelated question, were you the guy who beated the trials in frozen wild at ultra hard?
I did back when the DLC released, however I couldn't bother to collect all Suns again for the UH no reticle replay before Forbidden West, in part because the sequel's copy was right in front me waiting to be played but also because honestly fuck doing it again.

Frozen Wilds at Ultra Hard and no reticle really is still something.. and yet it never affected me physically like GMGOW is doing right now. I feel the median nerve sore for fuck sake..

GymWolf

I did back when the DLC released, however I couldn't bother to collect all Suns again for the UH no reticle replay before Forbidden West, in part because the sequel's copy was right in front me waiting to be played but also because honestly fuck doing it again.

Frozen Wilds at Ultra Hard and no reticle really is still something.. and yet it never affected me physically like GMGOW is doing right now. I feel the median nerve sore for fuck sake..
Why don't you start a yt channel? Not many streamer play at max difficulty.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

GMGOW is a lot more menagable on NG+. It is simply boring in NG when your axe does no damage and you start off with no real runes or magic.

Valkyries on NG+ GMGOW though were still absolutely ridiculous. They fucked with the timing of the valhalla jump attacks in NG+ which made it a crap shoot.

GymWolf

GMGOW is a lot more menagable on NG+. It is simply boring in NG when your axe does no damage and you start off with no real runes or magic.

Valkyries on NG+ GMGOW though were still absolutely ridiculous. They fucked with the timing of the valhalla jump attacks in NG+ which made it a crap shoot.
Did they changed the moveset in ng+??

Last edited:

Vick

Why don't you start a yt channel? Not many streamer play at max difficulty.
Nah, would never achieve anything close to this anyway:

Plus my pace is absolutely ridiculous, I check every inch of games, play with lights/shaders/physics, collect everything, restart survivals until I passed a section without using resources.. etc.
I could never enjoy a game feeling the need to entertain someone. And i'm about to become a father next year, so.. I'll continue posting clips here from time to time though.

GMGOW is a lot more menagable on NG+.
Of course it is. But I hate doing NG+ runs years after the first one.. 90% of the time if i'm replaying a game I need to do it from scratch.

It is simply boring in NG when your axe does no damage and you start off with no real runes or magic.
It just forces you to be frame-impeccable while your hands are violently raping every inch of the controller by performing multiple concerts at the same time for 10 minutes straight fights..but it's the only way to really get good with the game imo.

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

TLOU2 is the record first week seller for Sony first party right now correct?

Do people think this will break that. The hype seems pretty wild.

SlimySnake

Did they changed the moveset in ng+??
They tweaked the valkrie attacks in ng+. The Nilfheim boss who throws ice shards now throws 2 instead of one. The valhala jump attacks are now 5 instead of 1 or 3 forcing you to evade 5 times. And other minor changes. Which is all fine. The problem is that the valhala jump attack had its dodge timing changed so simply dodging when she goes up in the air is not good enough. You have to wait some arbitrary 2-3 seconds before dodging which makes no sense since shes no longer on screen so you cant see her. I could never get that timing right and that made every fight with valkyries that have the jumping attack so much more frustrating since getting caught in one valhalla attack kills you.

Plus my pace is absolutely ridiculous, I check every inch of games, play with lights/shaders/physics, collect everything, restart survivals until I passed a section without using resources.. etc.
I could never enjoy a game feeling the need to entertain someone. And i'm about to become a father next year, so.. I'll continue posting clips here from time to time though.

Of course it is. But I hate doing NG+ runs years after the first one.. 90% of the time if i'm replaying a game I need to do it from scratch.

It just forces you to be frame-impeccable while your hands are violently raping every inch of the controller by performing multiple concerts at the same time for 10 minutes straight fights..but it's the only way to really get good with the game imo.

Congrats!

Pedro Motta

Nah, it will sell more in the long run but it will not break TLOU2 record. TLOU2 had 100M+ PS4s in the market when it came out, PS5 userbase is small comparing and PS4 user will likely wait for a PS5 to play it.

Spiderman 2 is the one to break that record.

Fake

God of War will easily defeat TLOUS2. Will just depends of the story/gameplay from players pespective.

There are some countries that TLOUS franchise is not so popular, unlike God of War.

Hot5pur

the-shining-jack.gif

- SkillUp

Ian Cassady

GodsBattle
@ lan Cassidy

The Fire Fades
@ GodsBattle

SkirowX
@ GodsBattle

Thanos
@ GodsBattle

GTFO with this nonsense.

Thanks for the effort but this just reinforced all my problems with the game. If I need to play for 6000 hours to make the game feel good I'd rather stick to those other options. I find DMC/Bayo/Gaiden much more compelling and anyone whose played those games knows they aren't button mashers. Also high level play on those games makes GoW looks kinda bland. Maybe it looks good to you, I don't know, there is always subjectivity but I'd wager most people would look at those games as say they were both more intricate and stylish looking in comparison.

The GDC video raised some interesting points, so I appreciate that a bit more. But then why didn't the game encourage me to find that level of depth? It always felt like a tedious grind, not being able to freely maneuver in 3D, always going after one enemy at a time. Makes it very tactical, perhaps that's the "depth", but as far as combo potential and satisfaction and making things look good without dumping 6000 hours in, that's not there. Most GoW playthroughs look like some average hack and slash game.
We can disagree, it's ok. Enjoy the game ;)

I have stayed away from reviews, but have any of them discussed the SOUNDTRACK by BEAR MCCREARY? Haven't heard much of it other than trailers

I loved GOW2018's soundtrack, some real bangers in there like the Valkyries fight and also Modi and Magni

GymWolf

But those people make different type of videos.

I'm talking more like streaming games with normal playthroughts but on max difficulty for people who enjoy skilled gamer.

Don't undersell yourself, i could not beat the trials in frozen wild on ultra hard to save my life, way more difficult than any souls boss or gow boss for me, like the time limit is absurdly small, you must be pixel perfect and not waste a millisecond, i onestly thought they were unbeatable on purpose.

Hmmm not really ninja gaiden is hard but other than dmc3 the rest of those can beaten fairly easy on normal difficulty.

It's not just about aerial combat either. Gow 2018's camera allows for far deeper and satisfying ranged combat. Knocking a Valkerye out the air is way more skillfull and satisfying than any of the ranged options in those games.

Personally I think the camera in gow 2018 is what makes it unique. Okay you lack spatial awareness but you have to watch your back more as a result which is interesting.

In a real fight you wouldn't get a magic camera overseeing everything. So why should every melee game have one?

You don't fix what isn't broken, you refine it and add new move sets/weapons.

Just like Bayonetta or DMC, just like Miyazaki with Souls, and just like Team Ninja with their games.

"Innovate" is the most redundant and fake term thrown around by warriors who have no idea what it means, nor can explain how they will go about it.

They refined already great gameplay by adding verticality as well as making the Blades of Chaos more like the original in speed. We don't know everything without going into spoiler territory either.
To add to this I think there's not enough expansion style sequels. Too many sequels we spend half the game relearning or requiring all old stuff from the previous game that the new stuff feels underused.

E.g it would be really cool if we kept all our materia from ffvii remake for ffvii rebirth almost certainly not gonna happen though.

It nice to know ragnarok speeds this up at least

Last edited:

Vick

I'm talking more like streaming games with normal playthroughts but on max difficulty for people who enjoy skilled gamer.

Don't undersell yourself, i could not beat the trials in frozen wild on ultra hard to save my life, way more difficult than any souls boss or gow boss for me, like the time limit is absurdly small, you must be pixel perfect and not waste a millisecond, i onestly thought they were unbeatable on purpose.
Not unbeatable, but still designed to be very end-game content to carry on the playthrough till you make it, with the very best mods and equipment and strategy possible. And good amount of luck.
There’s some really INSANE Ultra Hard records for those trials.

SlimySnake

The Chieftan trials are piss easy if you max out the ice rail.

I actually missed several shots at the end and still won. You should be able to kill the frostclaws in two hits with it.

GymWolf

To add to this I think there's not enough expansion style sequels. Too many sequels we spend half the game relearning or requiring all old stuff from the previous game that the new stuff feels underused.

E.g it would be really cool if we kept all our materia from ffvii remake for ffvii rebirth almost certainly not gonna happen though.

It nice to know ragnarok speeds this up at least
Are you gonna play the sequel of that disgusting remake?

cant-be-friends-anymore-mad.gif

GymWolf

The Chieftan trials are piss easy if you max out the ice rail.

I actually missed several shots at the end and still won. You should be able to kill the frostclaws in two hits with it.

I think some are easier than others, i don't remember shit about the details, too much time passed.

I did it on ultra hard on the vanilla game but frozen wild broke me.

Didnt' even tried the arena in forbidden west, i just hate fucking timed stuff.

SlimySnake

I think some are easier than others, i don't remember shit about the details, too much time passed.

I did it on ultra hard on the vanilla game but frozen wild broke me.

Didnt' even tried the arena in forbidden west, i just hate fucking timed stuff.
Arena is forbidden west sucks dick. I hated every second of it on normal.

They force different weapons on you and if you didnt upgrade the blue and purple weapons then you're fucked.

it actually exposes all the flaws of the new combat system in HFW. Im surprised they didnt play those arena challenges and realize that hey this combat isnt really working out.

GymWolf

Arena is forbidden west sucks dick. I hated every second of it on normal.

They force different weapons on you and if you didnt upgrade the blue and purple weapons then you're fucked.

it actually exposes all the flaws of the new combat system in HFW. Im surprised they didnt play those arena challenges and realize that hey this combat isnt really working out.
I think it is kinda designed to be end game stuff.

Last edited:
I'm old, my memory is even worse than the third level fanfiction plot of that thing.
What didn't you like about it? Was it the mainly the story? Are you a big fan of the original?

Overall as a complete package I really enjoyed it but really didn't like the ending. I really enjoyed the combat.

Despite the silly story at the end I can't help but be intrigued to see where it goes even if it ends up being a train wreck. I really want to see all other locations and boss fights etc with modern hardware

GymWolf

What didn't you like about it? Was it the mainly the story? Are you a big fan of the original?

Overall as a complete package I really enjoyed it but really didn't like the ending. I really enjoyed the combat.

Despite the silly story at the end I can't help but be intrigued to see where it goes even if it ends up being a train wreck. I really want to see all other locations and boss fights etc with modern hardware
Lol i really don't wanna talk about it, that game piss me off :lollipop_squinting:

It had good moments but i clearly wasn't the right audience for it.

Last edited:
Lol i really don't wanna talk about it, that game piss me off :lollipop_squinting:

It had good moments but i clearly wasn't the right audience for it.
Gee that bad lol. Games rarely make me angry. If I am not enjoying a game I tend to stop playing it and then forgot about it.

The one acception is Nier Automata.... That game makes my blood boil lol. I'll keep quiet though because that games got a big fanbase lol

GymWolf

Gee that bad lol. Games rarely make me angry. If I am not enjoying a game I tend to stop playing it and then forgot about it.

The one acception is Nier Automata.... That game makes my blood boil lol. I'll keep quiet though because that games got a big fanbase lol
FF7 is my second favourite game of all time, that must be the reason.

but we are off topic.

Fake

I have stayed away from reviews, but have any of them discussed the SOUNDTRACK by BEAR MCCREARY? Haven't heard much of it other than trailers

I loved GOW2018's soundtrack, some real bangers in there like the Valkyries fight and also Modi and Magni

Skill Up said the sound is really good. Not the best, but as good as GoW2018.

Top Bottom