• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war most likely delayed to 2022

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The GoW teaser basically only says "Ragnarok is coming 2021".

Bullshit. All GoW had more or less the same development time, in each new one adding more workers. If they spend that same amount of time, it will released 2021. If they delay it to 2022 would be because of covid. They don't have to reboot the series again, this time will be a direct sequel with very likely the same characters, design and setting than the previous one because of story reasons.

Btw, Morales is a full standalone game.
Miles was mad a stand-alone game as it started as DLC, we all know that. Yes it’s bigger than normal doc but not as big as the main game. That’s not dissing the game in anyway what so ever, it’s a good game. Just not as complete as a game as the original Spider-Man.

God of war is a power house, they didn’t show any gameplay what so ever so far, doesn’t matter what time frame the other where done in, they need more time. Nobody knows if it’s COVID related if there even is a delay

Last edited:

yurinka

Miles was mad a stand-alone game as it started as DLC, we all know that. Yes it’s bigger than normal doc but not as big as the main game. That’s not dissing the game in anyway what so ever, it’s a good game. Just not as complete as a game as the original Spider-Man.

God of war is a power house, they didn’t show any gameplay what so ever so far, doesn’t matter what time frame the other where done in, they need more time. Nobody knows if it’s COVID related if there even is a delay
No, it always has been a full standalone game and always has been promoted as that. It's shorter than the previous game, but excluding Uncharted 4 it's about as long as all Uncharted or Gears of War games.

Same goes with Ragnarok. Now even if it's 40 hous long and includes dozens of new enemies and 99% of the game is in new worlds/dimensions, fanboy trolls will claim it's a DLC because Kratos and Atreus are the main characters, continues the story of the previous one, has some locations that are the same, most mechanics are the same and overall isn't a reboot as the previous one was.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No, it always has been a full standalone game and always has been promoted as that. It's shorter than the previous game, but excluding Uncharted 4 it's about as long as all Uncharted or Gears of War games.

Same goes with Ragnarok. Now even if it's 40 hous long and includes dozens of new enemies and 99% of the game is in new worlds/dimensions, fanboy trolls will claim it's a DLC because Kratos and Atreus are the main characters, continues the story of the previous one, has some locations that are the same, most mechanics are the same and overall isn't a reboot as the previous one was.

Mir is well known Spider-Man MM started as a DLC add-on and then was expanded into a bigger game, it’s not. Full size game but bigger than DLC. Even when it was announced Sony said it was DLC at first then corrected it.

again longer development for god of war is not a bad thing as the last one was massively liked across the PlayStation fan base. Better to let it be a great game than rush it out

yurinka

Mir is well known Spider-Man MM started as a DLC add-on and then was expanded into a bigger game, it’s not. Full size game but bigger than DLC. Even when it was announced Sony said it was DLC at first then corrected it.

again longer development for god of war is not a bad thing as the last one was massively liked across the PlayStation fan base. Better to let it be a great game than rush it out
They won't rush it, Ryan said in the interview that if needed they prefer to delay games than to rush the games. But in any case, unless it has a covid related delay, all God of War games had a pretty similar development time, and if they spend the same one with this one it will be released on 2021.

Expected, hopefully this mean it's a PS5 exclusive and not a cross gen, unleash the full power and might of the PS5
It hasn't been delayed, it still a 2021. When asked about their 2021 games, Ryan mentioned they are happy how other 3 games are going, and also mentioned they delayed GT7 to 2022 because due to covid needs more time and they don't want to rush.

Ryan didn't mention it as he didn't mention many other 2021 exclusives they have, it doesn't mean that GoWR and all the other 2021 PS5 exclusives he didn't mention will be delayed.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
bullshit this game will launch this year together with gran turismo 8 and horizon zero dawn 3

Haggard

Banned
So it looks like the only AAA blockbuster on PS5 this year will be Horizon and that one's cross gen.
My ps5 purchase just got delayed till at least mid 2022.....

With some luck Sony will start to release more of their exclusives on pc by then.

Last edited:
S9nOqiH.jpg
That's a good one on a side note why is it that Xbox fanboy are always quick to jump to conclusions about Playstation? Anyways I just want good games to come out this year they delayed GT7 and that's disappointing to me because I'm really am looking forward to GT7

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
While this while not great as far as me wanting to play it, it is great as far as it means the game will be what it needs to be.

Also increases the likelihood of it being a PS5 exclusive. The longer away from launch it is and the more PS5s get sold.

I am never disappointed when I hear about game delays, quite the opposite I always think they should take the time they need and am happy when the publisher let them. I rather play the full experience as intended, instead of a rushed game, where great ideas ended up being cut out, due to time constraints.

How do you know the developers need more time?
Because they only showed a logo and 2021?
There could be multiple reasons why they didn't show anything
What if GOW is the best looking next gen game we will ever see until who knows when, that Moore's Law guy is right and it is near photo realistic, and is actually pretty far along in development?
Hopefully PS5 exclusive to make people need to have a PS5 with some unprecedented set pieces (please)
Why show a gameplay for a game a year in advance that is so far above and beyond anything shown so far you won't care about any of the games or wanting to have a PS5 until Ragnarok comes out?
What if it is a marketing strategy, to have people speculate, needing a gameplay reveal, and revealing a gameplay trailer at the right time to generate necessary hype?
Santa Monica makes AAA games notoriously fast
They only took forever on GOW because of engine creation
The game only took 2.5 years to make afterwards
To give that Moore's Law credit, he did say Fall 2021, and 2021 was shown in the teaser
Assuming they began working 2018, that would give them 3.5 years for GOW Ragnarok
I think SM wants to make 2021, particularly Nov-Dec 2021, to mark 3 years of fimbelwinter

Last edited:

RCU005

Everyone need to understand that these kind of announcement is just bait to generate excitement and get people to buy the PS5. It was never intended for 2021! It's also logical, if it was a 2021 game, they wouldn't have announced it with just a logo.

I don't believe that God of War will be cross-gen. It will the first "you-want-it-buy-the-new-console" game. Sony knows this game alone will sell many PS5s.

I also think that 2021 is going to be the weakest year for PS5, because 2022 and 2023 seem like will be filled with games and that's only from games we know about (like Spiderman sequel) and there's also the games we don't know about and new IPs that will get announced in the meantime.

Everyone need to understand that these kind of announcement is just bait to generate excitement and get people to buy the PS5. It was never intended for 2021! It's also logical, if it was a 2021 game, they wouldn't have announced it with just a logo.

I don't believe that God of War will be cross-gen. It will the first "you-want-it-buy-the-new-console" game. Sony knows this game alone will sell many PS5s.

I also think that 2021 is going to be the weakest year for PS5, because 2022 and 2023 seem like will be filled with games and that's only from games we know about (like Spiderman sequel) and there's also the games we don't know about and new IPs that will get announced in the meantime.
Pure speculation based on zero evidence
Could it be delayed to 2022?
Possibly and no one would be surprised
But that depends on how far complete the game was before COVID hit

Last edited:
I think the year is too stacked anyway, and releasing the game the following year would make more sense.
Returnal
Ratchet
Horizon 2

are a huge line up for 2021.
GT 7
GOD OF WAR

for 2022 would make it a great year as well.
Realistically you probably will only See Returnal and Ratchet from that list

Ok.

It was never put in 2021 btw.

So we are creating artificial delays now?

Etho i support your comments when they sound logical and factual. But man you're hitting new lows off late, what's up with that? First you got schooled by some engineer working on Xbox GPU and now this asinine comment of yours when the teaser shown last year clearly ends with 2021 reveal.

EDMIX

We all know that game is not fucking coming this year lol

I'd argue that is what the majority already knew. They gave a teaser of a teaser with a fucking logo....

We pretty much all knew that 2021 means ummmm TRAILER in 2021. Its actually release sounded so unlikely that I believe Sony fucking damn well knew what they were doing throwing that shit in to the PS5 launch trailer lol They simply did it to move PS5 units. Thats it. We'll get a trailer this year and a release likely next year.

longdi

Banned
Expected, hopefully this mean it's a PS5 exclusive and not a cross gen, unleash the full power and might of the PS5

it will be loljmbo if its still cross gen in 2022. and with the semiconductor shortages through this year, it's not like jim can get that ps5 volume

Kagey K

Banned
Did anyone actually believe this would be 2021? It was such a weird thing to even mention the date.
They do that so it can be included in list wars, and then after it’s delayed they quote the bad game is a bad game forever quote.

This has gone on forever without fail.

If people would stop standing for Sony every chance they get and stop forgiving them for everything, maybe they would start acting like you want them to be, instead of how you imagine them in your head.

Right now they have a hardcore base that they know aren’t moving, and will fight anyone anywhere. Until people start fighting for their own rights, expect it to get worse instead of better.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I was expecting 2022 at the earliest. 2021 will be the year of delays but GoW never felt like a 2021 release from the start.

2022 will be wild on both Xbox and PlayStation.

Roufianos

My ps5 purchase just got delayed till at least mid 2022....
I doubt that has Sony concerned in the slightest seeing as demand is outstripping supply.

Unfortunately for existing owners, they're in a position where they don't try need to worry about how attractive a proposition the PS5 is, at least for the next year or so.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How do you know the developers need more time?
Because they only showed a logo and 2021?
There could be multiple reasons why they didn't show anything
What if GOW is the best looking next gen game we will ever see until who knows when, that Moore's Law guy is right and it is near photo realistic, and is actually pretty far along in development?
Hopefully PS5 exclusive to make people need to have a PS5 with some unprecedented set pieces (please)
Why show a gameplay for a game a year in advance that is so far above and beyond anything shown so far you won't care about any of the games or wanting to have a PS5 until Ragnarok comes out?
What if it is a marketing strategy, to have people speculate, needing a gameplay reveal, and revealing a gameplay trailer at the right time to generate necessary hype?
Santa Monica makes AAA games notoriously fast
They only took forever on GOW because of engine creation
The game only took 2.5 years to make afterwards
To give that Moore's Law credit, he did say Fall 2021, and 2021 was shown in the teaser
Assuming they began working 2018, that would give them 3.5 years for GOW Ragnarok
I think SM wants to make 2021, particularly Nov-Dec 2021, to mark 3 years of fimbelwinter
This is a thread about God of war being delayed

come on no gameplay footage at all for one of the years biggest games come on, horizon even showed gameplay

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Buy a next gen console in 2020 to play next gen games in 2022.
That has been a Sony’s M O since the PS3, promise it’s coming and deal with it while you wait.
Not sure what you guys have been smoking. PS5 already has offer more next-gen exclusive games than its competitors.

In the 8-month launch period, Sony would have released 5 PlayStation Studios PS5-exclusive games + one third-party timed exclusive next-gen exclusive game:
  • Astrobot
  • Godfall
  • Returnal
  • Demon's Souls
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Ratchet & Clank
6 PS5 exclusive games in 8 months. That's 5 times more than its direct competitors.

iHaunter

You must work for Sony marketing. You are everywhere in full defense mode.
People crying about delayed games is still one of the dumbest fads I've ever seen - I don't get the point of it. Why rush to make a shitty game? Look at CP2077.

Last edited:
People crying about delayed games is still one of the dumbest fads I've ever seen - I don't get the point of it. Why rush to make a shitty game? Look at CP2077.

No, publishers need to stop announcing release dates that they know they can't make.

And stop using CP 2077 as an example, that games situation wasn't the norm at all. No one told CD project red to rush the game out if they knew it wasn't ready. Releasing that game in the state that it was in was greed and incompetence at the highest level.

Banjo64

cumsessed

I can’t stand it when someone says something that’s utter shite, and then doesn’t even have the ability to hold their hands up after the fact.

Not sure what you guys have been smoking. PS5 already has offer more next-gen exclusive games than its competitors.

In the 8-month launch period, Sony would have released 5 PlayStation Studios PS5-exclusive games + one third-party timed exclusive next-gen exclusive game:
  • Astrobot
  • Godfall
  • Returnal
  • Demon's Souls
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Ratchet & Clank
6 PS5 exclusive games in 8 months. That's 5 times more than its direct competitors.
Godfall and Destruction All Stars are shite, Returnal looks shite as well.

At the end of 2021 we’ll be left with DeS, Ratchet and Horizon that are up to standard. That’s not a bad thing. 3 great games year 1. Issue is Horizon is on PS4, and DeS is a like for like remake of a PS3 game.

iHaunter

No, publishers need to stop announcing release dates that they know they can't make.

And stop using CP 2077 as an example, that games situation wasn't the norm at all. No one told CD project red to rush the game out if they knew it wasn't ready. Releasing that game in the state that it was in was greed and incompetence at the highest level.
There are many games that were in that exact situation. And I will continue to use CP2077 as an example.

This is a thread about God of war being delayed

come on no gameplay footage at all for one of the years biggest games come on, horizon even showed gameplay

Could be for multiple reasons
If the game isn't far along, it's not releasing until late 2022/tba 2023
It's not going to not be ready for 2021, then suddenly release the first half of 2022 if we are to go by people's theory of no gameplay being shown
I highly doubt that being the case
I'm going by who broke the story when no one else did
I'm going by the facts of Santa Monica being a fast developing studio, their own quotes about the sequel, and the fact they most likely have been working on it since 2018
My only disappointment would be if it is cross gen, not if it slips into 2022 to the surprise of no one

Last edited:

• Astrobot
  • Godfall
  • Returnal
  • Demon's Souls
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Ratchet & Clank

1.) When has 8 months ever been considered a 'launch window'?

2.) That list is nothing to brag about.
Ratchet looks nice...but everyone with a pulse was looking forward to GT7 and Ragnarok to punctuate the first console year as the big Next Gen Exclusives.

I'll gladly take Crossfire X and Warhammer Darktide over Ratchet and Returnal any day of the week, twice on Sunday.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Why the put 2021 in the teaser is beyond me. It was never going to make it this year. Now, if this means it’s PS5 only that’s good news.
In order to form a narrative around PS5 being the best next gen console to get. Launch window games are a huge point of discussion.

Games are delayed all the time. Sony figured they might as well use this as an opportunity to bolster their launch, because no one will blink an eye later. It is very telling as to how Playstation feels about their consumers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom