• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war most likely delayed to 2022

Fbh

Lol would be the most obvious delay ever. If announcing it in September with nothing but a logo didn't make it obvious enough that the 2021 target was bullshit

Last edited:

leo-j

I think the year is too stacked anyway, and releasing the game the following year would make more sense.
Returnal
Ratchet
Horizon 2

are a huge line up for 2021.
GT 7
GOD OF WAR

for 2022 would make it a great year as well.

Bartski

Gold Member
dumb and dumber GIF

Ellery

Every game gets delayed and the bigger they are the more likely (multiple) delays are.

I don't even say this as some sort of pessimist. It is the reality now and basically no (big AAA) game launches on time.

Even 2022 would be a miracle for GoW Ragnarok.

Edit : Pretty sure the reason for that is because the suits aren't actually aware of what modern game development looks like and how much time, resources and talent it consumes

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Why not delay all the big games. The ps5 stock situation will be shit all year and they’ll sell every console anyways. Plus they can blame it on covid and give games more polish.

2020 was delayed to 2021 and now 2021 has been delayed until 2022.

This is actually great, I've been destroying my backlog and I've been enjoying some of the games I missed more than a lot of the newer "must have" games.

Wunray

2022 was the year it was gonna launch in and anyone who believed otherwise was naive, let's see if it get's delayed to 23.

Kuranghi

Silly boys/girls of GAF:

2021 wasn't the release year! It was just a number to represent how racist David Jaffe is now, on a scale of 1-10.

He paid to have it in the video, its merch!

/hyper s

Anyone with a little bit of common sense could have known from the way it was announced that GoW2 was not coming this year. Sony wanted to have people believe that they had more games in the 2021 backlog than they really did, so they showed off GoW2 and GT7 a year before they should have. Unfortunately, the Sony diehards ate it up.

Last edited:

Entroyp

Why the put 2021 in the teaser is beyond me. It was never going to make it this year. Now, if this means it’s PS5 only that’s good news.

Last edited:

Valentino

I know they want to hype us up. But really REALLY what makes them think they can get the game out this year when even the public have no faith (not in a bad way) that it will release this year. Like, we wont be mad. The reveal was hype enough as it was. Give the latest date possible and then maybe excite us with an earlier release?

Ratchet and clank says hi. Also Returnal says hello.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Ratchet and clank hasn't released a new game since like a decade. God of war was released in 2018 after like 4 years of development. You think they can reduce that to 3 years with an unreleased hardware? Lmao. If they were anything close to release the game then why wouldn't they release a trailer or teaser at least? GoW first teaser came in 2016 so do your math. Also, what the hell is returnal?

I always felt like Ragnarok and Forbidden West seemed ambitious for a 2021 launch window. If we get even one of those two this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.
HZD is a given for late 2021. It looks exactly the same as the PS4 title, it's developed by an incompetent studio who won't give a fuck about quality process and it will be repetitive as hell just like the first one.

Fox Mulder

2020 was delayed to 2021 and now 2021 has been delayed until 2022.

This is actually great, I've been destroying my backlog and I've been enjoying some of the games I missed more than a lot of the newer "must have" games.

yeah I never got around to Spider-Man and was just going to play the ps5 version, but who knows when that’ll be. Just started playing it and having fun.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Was obvious from the start but clearly a bit of an underhand tactic to over promise to help build that early hype.

They haven't even shown anything off. Between sony buying up exclusives and deliberately lying about release dates, I feel like they are way behind schedule with regards to first party development, probably covid related.

I think they were actually targeting this year, but the game ain't up to snuff, just like Halo Infinite wasn't.
They just didn't give us any gameplay to freeze frame anything unfavorable and/or unfinished to make memes out of.

When you choose to delay a game to the next year at the top of this year, it needs some serious work.

NewYork214

I prefer March for God of War. Hits the Nostalgia of all the original games releases. Let's do March. Maybe I'll actually be able to get a ps5 by then

xrnzaaas

I'm wondering what's going to happen to Ratchet & Clank since it's going to be the first bigger PS5 release from Sony and there still aren't that many PS5's out there. With Horizon 2 they can at least count on PS4 players buying it in large numbers.

Hunnybun

I don't understand why they'd announce it for 2021 if that wasn't the at least somewhat realistic target.

They already had a huge line up of games slated for this year. They didn't need to promise anything else. They didn't even have to announce it. And it's not like they've broken other promises either.

That's not to say it won't get delayed - I think at this point it's clear that pretty much every game in development has been pushed back by 3 months minimum, but that's not the same as the conventional wisdom that it was ALWAYS going to get delayed, and that a late 2021 release was ALWAYS a pipedream.

SLB1904

Banned
I think they were actually targeting this year, but the game ain't up to snuff, just like Halo Infinite wasn't.
They just didn't give us any gameplay to freeze frame anything unfavorable and/or unfinished to make memes out of.

When you choose to delay a game to the next year at the top of this year, it needs some serious work.
Lmfao. You cant make this shit up

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I really hope they improve for the next game is better enemy diversity. I recently replaying the game on my PS5 and for high budget AAA game the amount reused enemies and bosses it’s too obvious. It felt like entire game I’m fighting same group of enemies.

yurinka

Ok.

It was never put in 2021 btw.

So we are creating artificial delays now?
The GoW teaser basically only says "Ragnarok is coming 2021".

the only way it would of came out this year is if it was done like Spiderman MM and not a full title like the original, better to delay and release a full standalone game
Bullshit. All GoW had more or less the same development time, in each new one adding more workers. If they spend that same amount of time, it will released 2021. If they delay it to 2022 would be because of covid. They don't have to reboot the series again, this time will be a direct sequel with very likely the same characters, design and setting than the previous one because of story reasons.

Btw, Morales is a full standalone game.

Last edited:

AGRacing

That 2021 had no business being in the trailer - we all know it - and anyone making excuses for it is a card carrying fanboy. And I don't want to hear any covid BS - the trailer containing this lie came out in September.

These clowns need to stop putting out dates they have no hope in hell of hitting. This has become a GIANT joke.

If this is for preorder hype or just to build awareness with consumers - it's a scam.
If it is for the sake of investors - it's a scam.

Top Bottom