• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Ar¢tos

Really bugs me there's no button for just putting my sword away.

Starting to really dig how SP have done the map discovery, apart from quests you could pretty much just find everything without the map, using animals, smoke etc, feels .I've exploring for a change in ooen worlds

Shame the grapple hook isn't more like tenchu, but fine I guess, but feels limited

Music needs to be louder too, had to drop the rest of the sound, just to boost it

Only just into act 2, really getting into it now
Swipe TouchPad right.

Ar¢tos

So far I saw decapitation, cutting a hand off and cutting an arm. What other dismemberments have I missed in the game?

I've been playing this now for a few hours and I LOVE IT !
Hard feels the right way to play and the swordplay is just the way I hoped for a samurai game.

It's so nice to play a game that plays like a game. There's no slow and overly realistic animations for picking up flowers and shit.

I don't know if the rest of you agree but the visuals and art style is just beautiful.

Also I'm not sure if I'm getting old but it's pretty hard to remember the buttons and changing different equipment. I use back button attachment, left for jump and right for dodge. I actually think it might be better to just use O-button to dodge because it makes me more patient to wait for an opening to strike.

EruditeHobo

The story is not compelling me at all... but the most important part is the gameplay, which for the most part they've nailed IMO.
It's a really great balance of stances, special moves, & consumables which flow together in just the right way to really convey the feeling of samurai badassery.

Really pleased with this so far.

INC

The story is not compelling me at all... but the most important part is the gameplay, which for the most part they've nailed IMO.
It's a really great balance of stances, special moves, & consumables which flow together in just the right way to really convey the feeling of samurai badassery.

Really pleased with this so far.

I think its the English dub. I played a few hours in Japanese, and I'm instantly in an old samurai film.

The story is pretty generic, but it has all the lore, honour etc, SP nailed it in that respect.

I agree with combat its just right for me personally, I can go full ghost if I want, or stand there and make the sword play look cinematic. I do think the dodge parry wigs out a lot tho, but its fine overall

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

I think its the English dub. I played a few hours in Japanese, and I'm instantly in an old samurai film.

The story is pretty generic, but it has all the lore, honour etc, SP nailed it in that respect.

I too began and am going through in English, and I could definitely see going through in Japanese being a boost... I was saving that for a Japanese/Kurosawa-mode 2nd playthrough if the game proved good enough, and I think so far it has.

The sticky point is that even in Japanese the story still generally remains what it is... it's not bad, as you suggest just kind of generic, open-world adventure/revenge story. It's fine, I haven't seen much in the way of characters or subtext that is too interesting. However, good point to credit the setting, because that is something that is very fun to explore in this kind of game.

cormack12

Gold Member
Damn the level bump on hard in Act 2 is real. Damn those Ronin.

Yeah even now as I come to the end, the strawhats are the enemy that pisses me off the most. I did well in most of the duels. Kojiro is a heavy hitter but timing and spacing gets you through it.

nowhat

The sticky point is that even in Japanese the story still generally remains what it is... it's not bad, as you suggest just kind of generic, open-world adventure/revenge story. It's fine, I haven't seen much in the way of characters or subtext that is too interesting.
I think the side stories (or the "main" side stories at any rate, the multipart ones where you have quest x of y) are much more interesting than the main plot. But the main story isn't bad per se, it does what it needs to in order to keep things moving. That doesn't make it not generic though.

INC

I too began and am going through in English, and I could definitely see going through in Japanese being a boost... I was saving that for a Japanese/Kurosawa-mode 2nd playthrough if the game proved good enough, and I think so far it has.

The sticky point is that even in Japanese the story still generally remains what it is... it's not bad, as you suggest just kind of generic, open-world adventure/revenge story. It's fine, I haven't seen much in the way of characters or subtext that is too interesting. However, good point to credit the setting, because that is something that is very fun to explore in this kind of game.

I think more supernatural Japanese lore could be added, some of the side quest do do that (the musicians missions for example)

Thing is I've always been into Japanese culture and old samurai films, so the story does hail back to some of those influences.it is what it is, the gameplay loop is what counts overall.

Another small thin that bugs me, let me have a choice of blank colour to pick, not just the patterns they let u have

I won't lie I spent the first few hours of the game getting flowers to get a straw hat to look more like Jubei from ninja scroll

Give me that costume and look SP

OQMjZHO.jpg

EruditeHobo

I think the side stories (or the "main" side stories at any rate, the multipart ones where you have quest x of y) are much more interesting than the main plot. But the main story isn't bad per se, it does what it needs to in order to keep things moving. That doesn't make it not generic though.

I definitely need to do more of these.

Skifi28

I'm about 10 hours in, the combat feels excellent and the open world inviting for exploration, none of the usual fatigue one experiences in similar games. Playing on hard, I wonder if I should go for leathal now or on a second playthrough.

INC

I'm about 10 hours in, the combat feels excellent and the open world inviting for exploration, none of the usual fatigue one experiences in similar games. Playing on hard, I wonder if I should go for leathal now or on a second playthrough.

The meta changes a little into act 2, thats all I'll say, no spoilers

Keihart

Ohhh so that must be the location of this gif then. Make sense, i thought this was a bug lol.
Then dude is in the air because he keeps healing, he probably has that perk that gives you resolve for taking damage and the one that gives resolve back when using a skill that uses resolve, which is stackable lol
I think healing is broken, the combat without the stupid heals it's way harder.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I was sure at one point that I would get a mystical move where I could guide a lightening bolt down to the enemy with my sword....
I guess that wouldn't have worked and would be a bit too extraordinary!

Keihart

I was sure at one point that I would get a mystical move where I could guide a lightening bolt down to the enemy with my sword....
I guess that wouldn't have worked and would be a bit too extraordinary!
I swear that i kept thinking that weather would be part of the combat...it never happened.
Wouldn't it have been awesome that water stance had an effect when raining and heavintly strike when in a storm and so on?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I swear that i kept thinking that weather would be part of the combat...it never happened.
Wouldn't it have been awesome that water stance had an effect when raining and heavintly strike when in a storm and so on?
I really think they need to consider doing something like that... it would deepen the whole gameplay and feeling of being an unstoppable force of nature.

KiNeMz

Banned
I never used the stances is the 2nd half of the game. Just stayed in stone and smashed everyone. Once you get the partying and dodging down it became a bit too easy. Played the whole game on hard. Yet to try the new mode.

SinDelta

On supernatural stuff-

I do think Ghost of Tushima has supernatural undertones. Just not as blatant as supernatural settings like Nioh 1/2 or Sekiro.

The Mythic quests, the Samurai Jack esque super skills like heavenly strike and dance of wrath.

The maybe hallucination confrontation with the demon inside the cursed bow.

The guiding wind implied to be the spirit of his father.

Controlling the weather with a flute powered by crickets.

Summoning a flock of fish when bowing at the pond in Omi.

Nevermind all of those foxes coordinating together in that one sidequest when a bunch of mongols desecrate a shrine and kill a fox. They use human level intelligence to have Jin kill the ones responsible.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Really bugs me there's no button for just putting my sword away.

Starting to really dig how SP have done the map discovery, apart from quests you could pretty much just find everything without the map, using animals, smoke etc, feels .I've exploring for a change in ooen worlds

Shame the grapple hook isn't more like tenchu, but fine I guess, but feels limited

Music needs to be louder too, had to drop the rest of the sound, just to boost it

Only just into act 2, really getting into it now
swipe to the right on the touchpad for that.

also

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
I think more supernatural Japanese lore could be added, some of the side quest do do that (the musicians missions for example)

Thing is I've always been into Japanese culture and old samurai films, so the story does hail back to some of those influences.it is what it is, the gameplay loop is what counts overall.

Another small thin that bugs me, let me have a choice of blank colour to pick, not just the patterns they let u have

I won't lie I spent the first few hours of the game getting flowers to get a straw hat to look more like Jubei from ninja scroll

Give me that costume and look SP

OQMjZHO.jpg
they did have a nice side story involving a “kappa” it’s a pretty safe bet there are a few fighting game fans on the writing team

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

I agree with combat its just right for me personally, I can go full ghost if I want, or stand there and make the sword play look cinematic. I do think the dodge parry wigs out a lot tho, but its fine overall

I did whole thing in English and idk from act 2 and on the story just gripped me. Midway things happen tht get you intense, mad, sad, etc... Ending was sublime imo.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

spoilers for the conclusions of the tales sidequests

Seeing Masako completing her vengeance by making her sister commit suicide and removing her last living family member was brutal and tragic. She was a specter of revenge and at the end she's just a specter sitting at a cemetery, with nothing to do but wait for her own death, alone.

Ishikawa reflecting on his failures as a teacher and failing to secure a heir for the way of the bow as even Tomoe renounces it was bittersweet. He's found peace, but he will have no heir. As he renounces his dynastic ambitions he becomes more human.

Norio fulfills his destiny but pays a steep price. He is changed forever by the violence he's been exposed to and the violence he's inflicted on others. The temples have been saved, but he is not a monk anymore, even tho he agrees to return to Cedar Temple. His journey paralels Jin's own and is a mirror to reflect on our own actions as the ghost. What he does in that mongol camp is just what we do.

idrago01

Banned
I did whole thing in English and idk from act 2 and on the story just gripped me. Midway things happen tht get you intense, mad, sad, etc... Ending was sublime imo.
yeah i don’t know i was pretty invested with the characters, i was even invested in the damn horse, plus the side stories really made it feel as if ur fighting in the middle of an invasion, maybe after that guy plays it all the way through he’ll come around

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
spoilers for the conclusions of the tales sidequests

Seeing Masako completing her vengeance by making her sister commit suicide and removing her last living family member was brutal and tragic. She was a specter of revenge and at the end she's just a specter sitting at a cemetery, with nothing to do but wait for her own death, alone.

Ishikawa reflecting on his failures as a teacher and failing to secure a heir for the way of the bow as even Tomoe renounces it was bittersweet. He's found peace, but he will have no heir. As he renounces his dynastic ambitions he becomes more human.

Norio fulfills his destiny but pays a steep price. He is changed forever by the violence he's been exposed to and the violence he's inflicted on others. The temples have been saved, but he is not a monk anymore, even tho he agrees to return to Cedar Temple. His journey paralels Jin's own and is a mirror to reflect on our own actions as the ghost. What he does in that mongol camp is just what we do.
i think he considered jin to be his final student

Gamernyc78

Banned
yeah i don’t know i was pretty invested with the characters, i was even invested in the damn horse, plus the side stories really made it feel as if ur fighting in the middle of an invasion, maybe after that guy plays it all the way through he’ll come around

Yup I even loved the horse!! Jin and his uncle were also great characters. Shit even Khan lol fuck it I loved all the characters 😂
Still can't believe I played this master piece few weeks after tlou 2 masterpiece, Sony fucking spoils us!!!

Last edited:

Keihart

Nate Fox was the director? i though he only was the president at Sucker Punch...
Edit: Just checked and he is, had no idea, he is credited as co-director for this game and director for every Infamous.

Last edited:
Awesome, can't now live out my samurai life properly now.

So this does a animation to put away? How have I missed this........
mr predator man, how on earth did you not know from the start to put away the sword? guess you weren't aware of the swipe functionalities? You can bow, let the wind guide you, put away your sword, and clear out thunder storms and harsh weather all through swipe actions

Last edited:

INC

mr predator man, how on earth did you not know from the start to put away the sword? guess you weren't aware of the swipe functionalities? You can bow, let the wind guide you, put away your sword, and clear out thunder storms and harsh weather all through swipe actions

Wait..........clear out harsh weather? Why would I do that? The storms look meh in this game, which is odd considering all the other particle and leaf effects

An yeh i know about bowing and wind, really have no idea how I missed the sword swipe.......ill blame the wife, she must of been babbling on at me when this was shown

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

Wait..........clear out harsh weather? Why would I do that? The storms look meh in this game, which is odd considering all the other particle and leaf effects

An yeh i know about bowing and wind, really have no idea how I missed the sword swipe.......ill blame the wife, she must of been babbling on at me when this was shown
Actually it’s not. The game isn’t all that forthcoming on some things.

SkylineRKR

I never used the stances is the 2nd half of the game. Just stayed in stone and smashed everyone. Once you get the partying and dodging down it became a bit too easy. Played the whole game on hard. Yet to try the new mode.

I kept using them on Hard mode. I have a stagger + knockdown build. Staggering a shield guy or Brute with a knockdown chance for an instant kill is pretty good. I also like Terriify. Makes you feel more bad ass.

I play post game on Lethal and I want to be as efficient as possible.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Ohhh so that must be the location of this gif then. Make sense, i thought this was a bug lol.

Its an invisible wall. And I think its well done. The game gives you the feeling you can go there but you will be shot into oblivion. You don't get warped out or run into an out of bounds timer. You will either run away or die and give up.

If you progress the story the area is ofcourse much easier.

Last edited:

nowhat

I like how you can bow to dead bodies that are scattered around the island (not Mongols) and Jin will say something.
One huge missed opportunity though (got reminded of this by the recent DF Retro episode about Usagi Yojimbo, because that game had it way back in 80-something) is that you should be able to bow to NPCs, and the NPCs would bow back. Hope that makes it into the inevitable sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom