• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Genshin Impact |OT| 4.0 (Fontaine) - Je m'appelle "la baleine"

YukiOnna

Ganyu not knowing Shenhe was an awkward story beat. The writers should have included Ganyu in Shenhe's story quest, maybe something like "Ganyu's too busy to have spent much time with young Shenhe, now their relationship is distant". Then use the cutscenes during Lantern Rite to show that they're becoming closer now that Shenhe is visiting Liyue Harbor more and integrating with humans.

Establishing a that Shenhe knows all the other Adepti well, but somehow never meets Ganyu is doesn't make much sense. Especially since we've seen that Ganyu will go to Jueyun Karst to visit Cloud Retainer.

Not that big a deal, but it could have been handled better.
Would have been a nice way to make her important in this Lantern Rite. Otherwise, the 2.4 Key Visual makes no sense to me...

Ganyu not knowing Shenhe was an awkward story beat. Establishing a that Shenhe knows all the other Adepti well, but somehow never meets Ganyu doesn't make much sense.
Totally agree. They're also two characters that are likely to be used together in a team. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't train together since they have the same teacher. How does Shenhe know how to support other cryo users when she's never met any?

I'm having trouble with the final firework smelt...
I tried the guide posted in this thread but it didn't help me at all. I just used the smelting method that grants a lot to one stat and a little to the two surrounding it a few times. I think I increased flame strength to high as well to get the maximum benefit from it. That worked best for me.

crumbs

Totally agree. They're also two characters that are likely to be used together in a team. It's hard to imagine they wouldn't train together since they have the same teacher. How does Shenhe know how to support other cryo users when she's never met any?

I tried the guide posted in this thread but it didn't help me at all. I just used the smelting method that grants a lot to one stat and a little to the two surrounding it a few times. I think I increased flame strength to high as well to get the maximum benefit from it. That worked best for me.
Yeah, overall the story telling during this year's Lantern Rite was much better than last year (unless you loved the NPCs errands or Xiao being angsty), but some of the individual threads were odd:

Beidou & Xinyan - Apparently good friends even though it makes little in-game sense. Guess they had to shoehorn Xinyan in the story some how, but pre-event, I figured she would be linked to Yun Jin since they're both performers.
Ganyu & Shenhe - Basically raised by the same "mother", but have never meet before during the estimated 15+ years that Shenhe lived with Cloud Retainer.

The other odd story element with Shenhe is that there's a legendary opera about her, but she's probably in her 20's. I wonder if Shenhe's character was originally developed with a different backstory that was changed later in development, which resulted in these weird story inconsistencies.

Fake

I agree, lantern event this year was better than previous year, but still the story lack refinement. They never match the PR artworks inside the game.

YukiOnna

Should have had Keq and Ning for 2.4 Visual for better representation. Oh well, always another Liyue event for it to happen.

Hope Inazuma Festival has same amount of effort at least and different feel to it like Windblume does.

Last edited:

BlackM1st

Banned
Windblume does
It has a feeling to it?

I can't remember shit except for falling floor mini game and bizzare iron flower which I remember only because it somehow reminds me a statue from the Resonance of Fate(what a gem of a game)

maxresdefault.jpg

crumbs

It has a feeling to it?

I can't remember shit except for falling floor mini game and bizzare iron flower which I remember only because it somehow reminds me a statue from the Resonance of Fate(what a gem of a game)

maxresdefault.jpg
The Windblume festival was ok, I think is gets remembered fondly because it was always compared to the original Lantern Rite festival. Easy to exceed expectations when you lower the bar to the ground :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Also, I don't remember the iron flower at all.

Pejo

Would have been a nice way to make her important in this Lantern Rite. Otherwise, the 2.4 Key Visual makes no sense to me...
Well you see, they had to put her into the key visual otherwise they couldn't run their banner based on their new rules of "a banner can run whenever a character is relevant to the patch". Also, did you forget she shot her bow in a cutscene and met Shenhe in that other cutscene?

I realize you can't please everybody, but yea, Ganyu was definitely an afterthought other than "we need some money, press the money button".

I'm having trouble with the final firework smelt...
I tried using that guide I posted earlier, and it was still so random, it wasn't worth it. Just keep trying.
The other odd story element with Shenhe is that there's a legendary opera about her, but she's probably in her 20's. I wonder if Shenhe's character was originally developed with a different backstory that was changed later in development, which resulted in these weird story inconsistencies.
I assumed she was in her 30s, older than the rest of the cast by a large margin. Mostly because of the eyes and how they usually reserve them for the milf characters in anime.
Should have had Keq and Ning for 2.4 Visual for better representation. Oh well, always another Liyue event for it to happen.

Hope Inazuma Festival has same amount of effort at least and different feel to it like Windblume does.
Well they can't go back to fireworks now that they firmly planted "Liyue did it first and better, suck it Inazuma". So maybe we'll get kanamara matsuri.

crumbs

I assumed she was in her 30s, older than the rest of the cast by a large margin. Mostly because of the eyes and how they usually reserve them for the milf characters in anime.
Perhaps but seems like in most anime being in your mid-20's is considered "old", so it's hard to say.

Being in her 30s would make it even weirder that Ganyu didn't know her.

Pejo

Perhaps but seems like in most anime being in your mid-20's is considered "old", so it's hard to say.

Being in her 30s would make it even weirder that Ganyu didn't know her.
I don't think there is a way to explain Ganyu not knowing her. It's not like the Adepti world is constantly changing and there are millions of them or anything. They look at eating a meal like a big deal, there's no excuse for Ganyu just meeting Shenhe for the first time, even if she just showed up a year ago or something. I'm going to chalk it up to a writer's error. They could have solved the whole issue if she just said "ah, it's been quite a while Shenhe" instead.

*edit*

Yea we're definitely getting an anime or at least a short. More scenes are popping up now.
lwo1xgsc3of81.jpg

Last edited:
Shenhe's eyes aren't "milf" eyes, they are "dead" eyes, QiQi has them too; it's to symbolise her suppressed personality, without the red ribbons she'd probably have signora eyes.

Pejo

Shenhe's eyes aren't "milf" eyes, they are "dead" eyes, QiQi has them too; it's to symbolise her suppressed personality, without the red ribbons she'd probably have signora eyes.
And Signora is probably the most "milf" character in the game, so....

But yea, I get you. I still think that she's likely the oldest human recruitable character so far.

YukiOnna

I liked Windblume. I don't mind mini-games for event and since I despise crafting it's more to my tastes. Mond's customs and story made it its own unique thing, so I just want that. If they some how tie it back to Liyue it would just be annoying when Mond didn't have it.

Well you see, they had to put her into the key visual otherwise they couldn't run their banner based on their new rules of "a banner can run whenever a character is relevant to the patch". Also, did you forget she shot her bow in a cutscene and met Shenhe in that other cutscene?

I realize you can't please everybody, but yea, Ganyu was definitely an afterthought other than "we need some money, press the money button".
Yeah you'd think after Moonchase, they'd choose another pair of characters to be the focal point, but it was basically the same. Sadness.
Well they can't go back to fireworks now that they firmly planted "Liyue did it first and better, suck it Inazuma". So maybe we'll get kanamara matsuri.
That was so weird after having a whole episode with Yoimiya about Inazuma Fireworks and Naganohara... Like they just had to 1up Inazuma. Can't just leave it and do something else on it. Lmao the Kanamara Matsuri. With how they treat Inazuma events it wouldn't surprise me.

Would be nice if it was the Nebuta: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aomori_Nebuta_Matsuri

crumbs

Can we all agree that this firework smelting mini-game was the lamest mini-game yet*? It's literally moving a progress bar across the screen.

I'm expecting a future mini-game that's the equivalent using the Teyvat version of Excel to fill in cells with data. This will probably be part of the second Ganyu story quest when you go around harassing business owners over perceived tax irregularities.

* Caveat: I didn't play v2.0 through 2.2, so they may have included some crappy events.

Edit: Missed the Moonchase Fest. Looked it up, apparently Guoba is/was a god? Ok, whatever works, I guess.

Last edited:

Pejo

Can we all agree that this firework smelting mini-game was the lamest mini-game yet*? It's literally moving a progress bar across the screen.

I'm expecting a future mini-game that's the equivalent using the Teyvat version of Excel to fill in cells with data. This will probably be part of the second Ganyu story quest when you go around harassing business owners over perceived tax irregularities.

* Caveat: I didn't play v2.0 through 2.2, so they may have included some crappy events.
I wouldn't mind it if it were more of a puzzle and less of a RNG-fest. I really liked the shadow puzzles this time.

I think my favorite of the minigame events we've had so far was the mixed waverider races during summer. Where you do part of the course on the ship and then fly out, kill some enemies, jump back on the ship etc. It was the most fun and active.

I also didn't hate the balloon one, but Ganyu is kinda like cheating with it. The racquetball minigame could have been great but the lag was just terrible in multiplayer.

crumbs

I wouldn't mind it if it were more of a puzzle and less of a RNG-fest. I really liked the shadow puzzles this time.

I think my favorite of the minigame events we've had so far was the mixed waverider races during summer. Where you do part of the course on the ship and then fly out, kill some enemies, jump back on the ship etc. It was the most fun and active.

I also didn't hate the balloon one, but Ganyu is kinda like cheating with it. The racquetball minigame could have been great but the lag was just terrible in multiplayer.

I cleared the fireworks with one attempt every round. I guess I was lucky, but I just don't understand why something so unfun and half-baked made it in to a game. The fact that so many players can finish without understanding the mechanics means is was a miss.

I did like the other portions of the lantern rite mini-games, although using the waverider around Guyun stone forest revealed that it wasn't designed with the boat in mind.

Keeping the mini-games short and sweet works best, like during Windblume or the Golden Apple content. Also don't make me do the same thing a million times to clear the rewards (I think the devs have been much better about this lately compared to v1.1 or 1.2).

Fake

And Signora is probably the most "milf" character in the game, so....

But yea, I get you. I still think that she's likely the oldest human recruitable character so far.

And probably the most powerful character in the game, IF Signora was supposed to be a Cryo Catalyst.

YukiOnna

Edit: Missed the Moonchase Fest. Looked it up, apparently Guoba is/was a god? Ok, whatever works, I guess.
If it wasn't so RNG reliant I would be fine with it. They should have let us customize the fireworks launch a bit more and make it a bit more eventful. But the launch is just manipulating settings.

Moonchase was a sequel to the Liyue Archon story. Had some fun characterization and the chest hunting was neat. Only hurt by the Anniversary fisaco tbh.

Waverider race was a lot of fun. Stuff like Wind Trace isn't too bad either as long as you don't overdo it.

Fake

Why are you guys so sure she would have been OP?

Catalyst Cryo? On the open world? She would literally apply permanent frozen on wet enemies inside the open world just by doing basic attacks. Challenges like Gold/Exp Books would be no issue for her.

Most of my fight (besides dungeons/farm) happens near to water/beach, so making enemies wet is excelent for elemental reaction. Pick two cryo chars for bonus, fight on the water, profit.

But even if Signora would be playable, she probably would be Pyro Catalyst

Last edited:

Pejo

Catalyst Cryo? On the open world? She would literally apply permanent frozen on wet enemies inside the open world just by doing basic attacks. Challenges like Gold/Exp Books would be no issue for her.

Most of my fight (besides dungeons/farm) happens near to water/beach, so making enemies wet is excelent for elemental reaction. Pick two cryo chars for bonus, fight on the water, profit.

But even if Signora would be playable, she probably would be Pyro Catalyst
Ayaka's got basically unlimited Cryo already, and it doesn't really break the game in any meaningful way. The overworld is so easy that it doesn't really matter, and none of the challenge modes so far have been in a water field to abuse.

Reactions: Fuz

Fake

Ayaka's got basically unlimited Cryo already, and it doesn't really break the game in any meaningful way. The overworld is so easy that it doesn't really matter, and none of the challenge modes so far have been in a water field to abuse.

My problem with Ayaka is the way you need to put cryo for her basics attacks, not to mention she is a melee char, Signora would still be in advantage for making attacks from distance. Sometimes melee chars don't do a good job making elemental reaction near to their oponents. If I remember right, the flower foe share her elemental reaction when she enter in the holding mode. Try using electro when a Cryo flower start to charge, you take the cryo bonus damage instead of the flower and get DEF reduction.
I not particularly a big fan of those modified dashs like Mona or Ayaka.

YukiOnna

I like his outfit. Just wish they had his hair long like Katsura Kotaro of Gintama if he's voiced by the same voice actor.

Pejo

Haircut is a -1000 points for me. Rest of it's fine. Man, why do all the male characters need ponytails or rat tails or the like. Can't any of them have just have a regular anime cut? They already did that same style anyways with Eula.

BlackM1st

Banned
Or Barbara. Shes pretty decent too, even more that shes a healer. Works wonders with Ayaka when I used to play.
Yeah, I just use Diona for double Cryo x Shield x Heal x No negative wet status. Plus Mona's ultimate is my alternative for Bennett lmao.

BlackM1st

Banned
Raiden's boss fight looks OK I guess. I would be more excited about it if we could get her BOSS mode skin in game or if it was sexy enough, but we are yet to get a simple color swap for Tart, so my hype is nonexistent.

Top Bottom