• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeForce GTX 970s seem to have an issue using all 4GB of VRAM, Nvidia looking into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Any good?

gx970benchmark_zpse4b816d1.png

bj00rn_

Banned
There are two sides to this.

The card should definitely not create slowdown problems at certain times or other weird behavior. It's indeed a highly valid topic, and Nvidia should absolutely answer the question.

With that said, no need to panic, your 970 is just as fast as it was yesterday, and keep in mind that the 970 is not supposed to be as fast as the 980.

..And if you are into VR and are going to buy the Oculus Rift later this year, you probably need a new generation GPU to drive it anyway ;)

Lanark

GTX 980, hynix memory. Same problem here:

3EtU8oY.png

Weird, either this test doesn't work, or it seems to effect 980's as well. I haven't noticed this in games either.

LilJoka

You guys need to state if you are running from IGP before skewing the results.
You should not be running the benchmark while your GTX 970 is being used for Windows.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Course drivers may crash when windows is rendered in the VRAM...

Too much misinformation I'll have to run my own tests I think.

Just trying to share information to see if it can help solving this mystery. I don't know how you're supposed to run this test without windows.

LilJoka

Just trying to share information to see if it can help solving this mystery. I don't know how you're supposed to run this test without windows.

Not without windows but running off the integrated GPU, whilst testing the GTX 970 with 0mb VRAM allocated.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Was a week or so away from ordering one and a new rig to prepare for Oculus sometime this year (longterm plan being getting another to SLI down the road) so I guess... NOW WE WAIT?

potam

Banned
Welp...on my first run, not only did I have the driver crash at the end, the middle memory blocks dropped down to ~120ish, then went back up, then dropped to the "normal" results. Here's my second run:

fq2YXyy.png

Launch MSI cards. Same batch, sequential serials. Latest drivers, too.

Xpliskin

All benchmarks above my post show the defect lol.

Seems like a driver issue to me. Different VRAM brands are affected.

Don't panic.

Xpliskin

Affecting all brands ? Very unlikely.

Might be how the drivers decide to access allocated chunks.

A bad lookup algorithm will kill performance, and only the last chunks are affected.

All benchmarks above my post show the defect lol.

Seems like a driver issue to me. Different VRAM brands are affected.

Don't panic.

It could still be hardware related (memory bus, controller, etc.)

Or it could be by secret design so Nvidia can force people into thinking the need to upgrade.
tinfoil hat engage!

Xdrive05

The bigger news sites need to report this.

If this ends up being an unfixable hardware design issue, then #1) I don't for one second believe Nvidia didn't already know about this and #2) that may be partially why it was priced so much lower than its slightly bigger brother. Scummy if true.

And very interesting that none of the big review sites reported this. I wonder why.

If there's enough backlash, then hopefully they do something about it. Drop the 980 price plz.

So there's no reason to run the benchmark if you can't stop Windows from rendering on the GPU? I don't have an integrated GPU to switch to for testing.

I guess I'll keep an eye on this and maybe use my Step Up option to get a 980 or something. Or, I'll certainly consider the option.

mcmmaster

Oh crap, my friend is building a gaming rig for the first time and I knew he was getting a 970.

I just text him about this issue hoping to stop him before he purchased one, but his 970 just happened to have arrived at his door an hour before I sent the text.

He isn't too happy lol.

I almost ditched my 3gb Radeon 7950 for a 4gb GTX970. Glad I didn't. Yes the GTX970 is faster, but man, to spend the money and have this issue showed up would have really ticked me off. See, I went from an Nvidia gtx 660 to the AMD card because of a similar issue. The GTX660 has 2 gigs but only 1.5 was useable and the bus was weird also that caused it to struggle over 1 gig of memory used. I kinda understand Nvidia making this mistake once, but twice? It sounds like they think if you aren't buying their top of the line card, you must be some sort of idiot that only cares about specs and not real world performance.

LilJoka

I have ran the bench on my MSI Gamer GTX 970 4GB. I have only had time to kill DWM.exe and have not run off IGP yet. MSI AB showed 290MB VRAM in use after which I exited the program and ran Nai's bench from cmd. Last 3 chunks showed degraded performance. When I get time I'll try run off the IGP for proper headless mode.

SliChillax

So should I try and get a refund or just wait? Any word from Nvidia? Sorry if my questions have already been answered but I'm at school at the moment.

Xdrive05

So should I try and get a refund or just wait? Any word from Nvidia? Sorry if my questions have already been answered but I'm at school at the moment.

If you already own one, you should probably wait and see what they say or do about it. They may be able to fix it somehow, or do something else to make it right.

Or they may release a PR-speak nightmare claiming that "it is the way it is, and the card is still a great value for the money, and thanks fuckers for that money, and have you even SEEN fur shading!?, and by the way fuck you."

Best to wait and see before making decisions right now.

Xdrive05

Anyone remember how Nvidia handled the 660/660ti similar issue (1.5gb effective out of 2gb)? That was clearly hardware design, so was it known from the beginning or did it come out later like this?

LilJoka

Oh I see thanks. Over in the other thread, there's a bench of the GTX980 without Windows OS overhead getting maximum performance up to the last chunk at 4GB. It doesn't look good, that's for sure.

Yeah, so far I haven't seen anyone get the 970 with proper results like a 980, even those who are using headless mode. The 980s who fail to get the right result seem to not be using headless mode.

It could just be the benchmark so we have to wait.

filly

From a trouble shooting perspective, we have to consider that the benchmark could be wrong. Perhaps previous tests before getting to the final chunks are having a knock on effect that makes this phenomenon visible.

If the source code for the benchmark is available, I would like to see if someone could edit it so it only to test Chunk no 29. As in every case this chunk always seems to suffer. Anyone here who can help with this?

Op needs to mention headless mode otherwise people will get a bad result regardless.

Added the below to OP:

Edit 3: OK, everyone is going crazy running that Nai benchmark and posting their results, I'm not sure you should bother with that if you're reading this. What seems to be happening is that unless you are running Windows on your integrated graphics (by plugging the monitor to the port on the motherboard if it has one [and booting with no monitor plugged into your GPU?]) then Windows will use up part of the VRAM causing the driver to crash during the benchmark. Also people who checked the source code of the program say this would only pertain to compute performance? Don't know, just trying to update OP with new knowledge to avoid useless repeat reports. Best thing to do for now seems to be to wait, unless you know what you're doing and can present new evidence or insight to the table.

Let me know if I should change/add anything else.

Durante

Everyone should at the very least
  • disable Shadowplay and
  • make note of their prior windows/application VRAM usage levels
before running this and posting their results. But it's still not particularly meaningful if you are using the same GPU for actual desktop graphics at the same time.

Also, I second the request for source code of the benchmark, I'd like to see how it decides where an allocated chunk is in physical memory, because I don't know a reliable way to do that.

kharma45

Anyone remember how Nvidia handled the 660/660ti similar issue (1.5gb effective out of 2gb)? That was clearly hardware design, so was it known from the beginning or did it come out later like this?

Pretty sure it was known fairly early on. I remember it being mentioned in the reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom