• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geforce 2 MX

Kupfer

Even though I had the card back then and remember it well, at least until Far Cry came along and I had to switch to a 9800pro for glorious DX9, I wonder what this kind of thread is about.
Instead of just posting a video without context, try to at least write down an introductory sentence, an opinion, a question, a conclusion, a summary of the video or something like that.
No clue what to discuss here other than "good card back then, was fun"

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I Curse You Magic Mike GIF by Curious Pavel

Drizzlehell

Banned
Eyy, I had this card back in the day. A fine piece of hardware. Too bad that it got wiped away along with the rest of that PC when my no-name PSU decided it was time to explode. Worst day of my life.

SolidQ

not bad card was, finished mafia om MX 400, GTA3 was lagging, so i'm switched after one year to Radeon 9000(when NVIDIA have super bad cards GeForce FX), then Radeon 9700 pro.

shaddam

It couldn't handle Vice city in my pc. If the rain started or I broke a fire hydrant OR I got blood on my screen the sky became a bugged mirror texture and the hud disappeared. I play some Vice city every few month but it still scares me when I break a fire hydrant.

Majormaxxx

Had GeForce 2 Ti during this time, remember MX series was frowned upon by enthusiast to a degree.
Had it. It WAS Good for games up until 2000. Then ran fine some games at 800*600, such as the quake 3 engine ones. Then in 2003 it became too slow for direct x 8 games. Your Ti was solid.

Majormaxxx

It couldn't handle Vice city in my pc. If the rain started or I broke a fire hydrant OR I got blood on my screen the sky became a bugged mirror texture and the hud disappeared. I play some Vice city every few month but it still scares me when I break a fire hydrant.
Ran vc fine for me, but gta3 wasn't good.

BlackTron

You guys don't wanna know how many old cards like this I have in a cardboard box I should probably just throw away. Probably corroded at this point anyway.

Back in those days I was comboing the AGP card with the right PCI cards for multiple CRT monitors. Yes I used that much electricity

MX440 was my first GPU I think. 21 years ago, holy fuck. I think I was starting highschool? Before that I'd used to just go nonstop to PC clubs almost daily for hours.
MX400 was mine. It was the 64MB weaker core version of the MX. Thing was a huge upgrade from the crappy S3 integrated graphics output I was using. Got it in 2000 I believe. I just remember the jump for Half Life and Counter Strike being massive. Unreal Tournament, Quake 2 and 3, Diablo 2, everything just ran so much better.

Used that card until 2003 when I finally upgraded to the Radeon 9700 Pro, and that thing made the GeForce 2 MX400 look like the S3 integrated piece of crap lol it's amazing how fast technology was improving back then. What we would regularly see in 1-2 years now takes 4-6 years to see. Hell, in the case of CPUs, even 6 years doesn't translate to the kind of gains we could get in a year back then. Imagine going from a 300 Mhz processor to a 1.2 Ghz CPU with significantly better IPC too. We're talking about like 5x the CPU performance in just a year or two.

Now, 6 years only gets you 40% faster single core performance because we've hit a pretty hard clock speed wall and transistors can't really get any smaller. We've reached the end, my friends. Everything going to hell in a hand basket as progress halts. It's sad really, we're nowhere near where I hoped we'd be by now.

SomeGit

Upgrading from this to a GF 4 Ti 4200 was a monumental upgrade for me at the time. What a beast of a card that was, later changed it to a 9800 Pro.

I miss actual generational upgrades in GPUs.

I had a GF2 GTS then, my friend had a MX he bought and when we plugged it in to his pc it was the first time I ever saw smoke come out a AGP slot. They were cheap cheap.

Dane

I remember the GF4 variant, it was my first GPU, Nvidia did a scummy marketing by picking up the GeForce 2 GTS and doing some upgrades and calling it a GeForce 4, the lack of Pixel Shading that was standard even in Geforce 3 pissed off Carmack because he had to support it due to strong sales.

eNT1TY

I replaced my 1st gpu the Guillemot Geforce 256 with the Hercules MX 2 400 and then replaced that with a BFG Tech 6800 Ultra. Good times, gfx tech moved so fast in the early 2000s. There were so many players back then before the field got whittled down by attrition, mergers, aquisitions, dissolutions, etc.

winjer

Gold Member
I had one of these. An upgrade from a TNT2 Ultra.
In games that supported T&L, it was a huge uplift in performance.

dave_d

MX400 was mine. It was the 64MB weaker core version of the MX. Thing was a huge upgrade from the crappy S3 integrated graphics output I was using. Got it in 2000 I believe. I just remember the jump for Half Life and Counter Strike being massive. Unreal Tournament, Quake 2 and 3, Diablo 2, everything just ran so much better.

Used that card until 2003 when I finally upgraded to the Radeon 9700 Pro, and that thing made the GeForce 2 MX400 look like the S3 integrated piece of crap lol it's amazing how fast technology was improving back then. What we would regularly see in 1-2 years now takes 4-6 years to see. Hell, in the case of CPUs, even 6 years doesn't translate to the kind of gains we could get in a year back then. Imagine going from a 300 Mhz processor to a 1.2 Ghz CPU with significantly better IPC too. We're talking about like 5x the CPU performance in just a year or two.

Now, 6 years only gets you 40% faster single core performance because we've hit a pretty hard clock speed wall and transistors can't really get any smaller. We've reached the end, my friends. Everything going to hell in a hand basket as progress halts. It's sad really, we're nowhere near where I hoped we'd be by now.
Of course the downside was games advanced just as fast too so if you wanted to play the latest games you pretty much had to upgrade your PC every couple of years. If you thought Crysis was bad you never saw how bad Origin Systems was at time.(In the 90s if your system was a couple of years old their games were largely unplayable, like Strike Commander on a 486. Or Ultima 9 until 2001/2002)

Of course the downside was games advanced just as fast too so if you wanted to play the latest games you pretty much had to upgrade your PC every couple of years. If you thought Crysis was bad you never saw how bad Origin Systems was at time.(In the 90s if your system was a couple of years old their games were largely unplayable, like Strike Commander on a 486. Or Ultima 9 until 2001/2002)
I'm 36 now and going through a bit of a health scare this year. My perception of time and its relation to all we do in our lives has been permanently altered because of it. Now, I see these retirees saying "oh I'll keep this same sports car for the next 20 years and never swap it out" and all I see is stagnation and a waste of their remaining years. That's the same type of stagnation we're seeing now with CPUs and GPUs. I'd much rather my system become obsolete in 2 years and have actually meaningful upgrades available to me rather than waste my remaining time never experiencing better. It's a double edged sword, the lack of progress over time, but I truly feel this is the worse of the two ways it could go.

Top Bottom