• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears Will Continue To Build On Player Choice, Open World, and Branching Stories – The Coalition

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Campaign design director Matt Searcy recently told GamingBolt in an interview that the open world sections, more open-ended combat, stealth sections, and the progression mechanics involving Jack are all things that The Coalition did in Gears 5 as a way to lay down a foundation for the future. According to Searcy, future instalments in the series are going to continue building on those foundations.

Gears 5 took some leaps forward in how we think about a Gears game, and as you mentioned, fans responded positively,” Searcy said while speaking with GamingBolt. “Gears 5 was all about laying the foundation for the franchise to steer it into the future, so it’s safe to say we’ll continue to build off this foundation in the future so we can continue to surprise and delight fans as we look forward to whatever might be on the horizon.”

Spoilers follow for Gears 5

Gears 5
made one more notable change as well, of course, which was having two different endings based on a pivotal choice made at the end- a first for the Gears franchise, and a significant new addition. We can expect to see more of this from future games as well.

When we asked him if a branching narrative is something that we will see more of in future Gears games, Searcy said, “A huge goal and pillar of Gears 5 was player choice, and it’s definitely something we’ll be looking to build on going forward.”

TeamGhobad

Banned
The best part of Gears was the open world and exploring the sidequests. They should expand on that. The story was its weakest part.

MDSLKTR

Gears 5 is amazing. They corrected everything that was wrong in gears 4 (special shoutout to murdering the most annoying character as soon as he's reintroduced) and while the level design was lacking compared to gow1, the encounters design was A+. More next-gen graphics, more gore, same amount of content and I'm in day 1 for the sequels.

DanielsM

Banned
Come on. Gears 4 and 5 are good games if not great like first 3. Calling them bad is ridiculous.

Have you played the game? What's Your GT?

Peak Gears of War happened during GoW1.

GoW1 was great, GoW2 was good with all the new horde mode but started to lose me, GoW3 was good as a total package but it definitely started to go even further down the adventure action road.
Judgment was really only okay for the real diehards, but I actually like some of the new modes. No real interest in 4/5 even if they were on my platform of choice.

Down with Remasters of 1-3, but the franchise is being pushed to heavily, imo, the budget is probably huge, huge marketing... not sure the franchise is ever going to be sustainable at that level. I see nothing wrong with a smaller game, matter of fact, I think they need to probably hand it off to another developer. I would probably suggest looking at Days Gone as far as possible changes to game play elements.... more survival horror like GoW1 and maybe even more so.... smaller in scale, survival horror.

Sweeney actually spoke about the budget of GoW from the 1st one to the 3rd one... going up 6 fold yet, no growth or even negative growth in sales.

And for god sake, its Gears of War... just Gears on the cover looks annoying as hell.

Last edited:
GoW 1 multiplayer was tacked on and took a month to create and is, gameplay wise, the best of the series.

GoW 5 Multiplayer was planned and taken in a slightly different direction and it is very poor.

What happened?

Hell, what happened between 4 and 5? The Coalition, IMO, nailed the multiplayer in 4 and shit the bed in 5.

Shifty

Three things that I absolutely do not associate with the Gears brand.

Good job guys, you've become to Gears what 343 has to Halo.

Last edited:

Dane

Gears 5 campaign is great, but I don't think it needs open world stuff, but rather just more expansive levels like Black, I hope at best they just refine the open hubs, Act 2 was a great introduction, but Act 3 was a drag for half of it.

Jack and relic wepaons were a nice add-on, its a damn shame that there was no new game+.

-Arcadia-

Banned
As a casual for this series, Gears 5 was the most this franchise has interested me since the first one. While I’m not sure that open worlds* and branching stories are needed, if interesting, I’m kind of glad to see that they continue to put their stamp on the series and take it in a new direction.

I think this is the only non-racing Microsoft franchise that feels like it’s going somewhere.

(*Maybe more open, large areas, like in this one? I think that could be fun)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Suffocating yourself in linear gameplay doesn't make sense, stay with the trend of open world and win in sales.

Lukin1978

I'm a long time gears fan I liked the campaign I just hope it doesn't go too open world with the next installment. This is far enough

Why turn Gears franchise into an open world?
Not open world but open ended like Tomb Raider and New GoW.

They want evolve franchise. They can't change core gameplay much, so they have to change things around gameplay like add Light RPG elements and give more player choice. Nothing wrong in it. It's all about execution. God of war did same but they executed perfectly. Gears needs good execution. I'm sure Coliation will try best to do it next game.

Gaf love to hate everything and call good games bad.

Gears get lot of criticism for not evolving from critics. So they want to change it. They can't go RE7 route and make it FPS. So player choice with light rpg rpg elements best idea.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I just started playing gears 5 tonight for the first time and I find, at least from a graphics perspective, that it's easily a next-gen quality game. UE4 has some amazing tech in it and I can't wait to see some RTX code implemented by some developers using UE4 (i.e. Jedi Fallen). The quality of the textures and lighting in this game are astounding. I heard the story was really good from IGN, so I'm going to play along and see where it goes.

Life is open world and its boring as hell.

I've stopped buying open world games, just because every game seems to need this massive open empty world attached to it. Make a good game, and people will buy it.

Ravi_elite

Banned
Please pass the torch to a development team who will make a gears of war for the gears of war fans.

Bring back center screen shooting,
Bring back bAckpacking,
Bring back active reload statistics

sendit

Life is open world and its boring as hell.

I've stopped buying open world games, just because every game seems to need this massive open empty world attached to it. Make a good game, and people will buy it.

I don't see why you can't have both? I find non-open world games incredibly restrictive.

I don't see why you can't have both? I find non-open world games incredibly restrictive.

Building an open world just because its trendy is a bad choice. Most open world games are empty and boring as hell, altough fun for the first few hours, gets tedious quite fast, and the resources to build a large open world could be used into making the linear experience much more enjoyable.

Super Mario

Banned
Just recently played through 4 after years of no gears. My last was 3 when it came out. I thoroughly enjoyed 4. I will be getting 5, but I'm worried how an open world works for it. You all better not be lying to me

Last edited:

quickwhips

I got to be honest. Im not excited for gears without cliffy. I tried but its an ok game but i feel like its missing something. I finished 4 but haven’t really got far in 5 campaign yet. Maybe just the fact that im a dad now makes it hard to play these type of games as my time is limited if the gore and violence is to much. If its on gamepass ill keep trying them.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Great, if there is anything we need more, it is open worlds with side quests and collectibles. Who the hell would want an intense action game with meticulously designed encounters that foster a strong sense of achievement?

GoW 1 multiplayer was tacked on and took a month to create and is, gameplay wise, the best of the series.

GoW 5 Multiplayer was planned and taken in a slightly different direction and it is very poor.

What happened?

Hell, what happened between 4 and 5? The Coalition, IMO, nailed the multiplayer in 4 and shit the bed in 5.

I really enjoyed the MP in Gears 4 - more than any game since the first one. Gears 5, it feels tacked-on. The levels don't look or play as well, and the combat just isn't as fun. It feels like they really put all their efforts in their campaign with the bootleg open world.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Great, if there is anything we need more, it is open worlds with side quests and collectibles. Who the hell would want an intense action game with meticulously designed encounters that foster a strong sense of achievement?

I really enjoyed the MP in Gears 4 - more than any game since the first one. Gears 5, it feels tacked-on. The levels don't look or play as well, and the combat just isn't as fun. It feels like they really put all their efforts in their campaign with the bootleg open world.

Crazy I enjoyed Gears 5 mp more than 4. Idk but I played it on gamepass first few days and enjoyed it more bcus it wasnt a shotgun fest like 4 was. Idk if it's evolved to tht since I dropped gamepass shortly after.

Top Bottom