• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: PlayStation vs Xbox - Who WON 2022?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm actually wondering what you want the response to be from people after the the year they have just had?
I don't care what your response is. I put my response in my first post.

But if you're going to try and act like the VGA are some sacred event that judges a system's performance for the year, I'm going to call that out as ridiculously stupid.

Pfff PS5 doesn't even have Vampire Survivors or High on Life yet . . .

smug GIF

Klayzer

I'm actually wondering what you want the response to be from people after the the year they have just had?

Yes I'm sure they told Geoff to pull everything they had planned just a few hours before the start of the event and he was able to fill the time seemlessly.

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio
I'm also sure, his opinion will change drastically, if Starfield, or any Xbox release wins game of year next year.

Curious, how awards doesn't mean anything, until a preferred platform games win it. Then, they won't shut up about it.

Last edited:

sainraja

I was simply pointing out the silliness of your "stupid anti-Xbox double standard bullshit." It's not just a gaf thing. In fact it's everywhere. It's almost like they had a bad year compared to the competition. You can disagree if you want but the majority is not on your side.
Yeah, there is no point in trying to turn this into some anti-Xbox double standard propaganda thing. Sony was equally criticized earlier in the year for being quiet, something the video does touch on.

GHG

I don't care what your response is. I put my response in my first post.

But if you're going to try and act like the VGA are some sacred event that judges a system's performance for the year, I'm going to call that out as ridiculously stupid.

You're emotional and lost here. I've already told you this thread is about for the year gone by. You're the one going off on some tangent about the VGA and the usual "think about the future bro" bollox.

If you don't care what my response is then don't reply, it's that simple really.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You're emotional and lost here. I've already told you this thread is about for the year gone by. You're the one going off on some tangent about the VGA and the usual "think about the future bro" bollox.

If you don't care what my response is then don't reply, it's that simple really.
I'm responding to post #25, specifically about the VGA comments. If you want to just keep ignoring that then fine. I made my opinion on it perfectly clear. It's not a tangent. It was literally an ongoing conversation that I commented on.

I don't care what your opinion is on the general winner for the year. Like whatever you want to like.

Xbox for indies, Sony for the AAA...I was exposed to a ton of A and AA games such as tunic, vamp survivor, norcos, pentiment etc due to Xbox's good stnading with indies and gamepass...Sony won the traditional "battle" in the sense of big games for the year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And as evidenced so will everyone else my friend. But I'm sure you'll just chalk that up to everyone being "anti-Xbox" as usual.

pity party mr crabs GIF
Chalk what up? Read my first post. The first line is acknowledging that PS had a very strong year. Like PS if you want. I do not care. Then I explained why I didn't feel that way.

The only anti-Xbox shit is this retarded narrative about the VGA. Sony shows 1 piece of DLC and you act like it's some massive win when Xbox had a 1 hour show during E3 time. That's just a fact. It's total bullshit.

Last edited:
Xbox for indies, Sony for the AAA...I was exposed to a ton of A and AA games such as tunic, vamp survivor, norcos, pentiment etc due to Xbox's good stnading with indies and gamepass...Sony won the traditional "battle" in the sense of big games for the year.

I dunno played a lot of good indies on playstation this year. Toem, Stray, Sifu, Inscryption, Rollerdrome, Olli Olli World, Cult of The Lamb…etc

Roberts

A few months ago I would have said that xbox had an terrible year, but then it got some much better at the end.

Grounded - I'm still playing it and it is already one of my favourite games. Just totally magical experience.
Pentiment - Another winner and without the doubt one of the best written games ever.
As Dusk Falls - Really solid. I don't think they managed to stick the landing, but it was a pretty good narrative game.
Scorn - It is all about mood. And I think it works really well.
High on Life - Show me another game this year that is as funny and fun.
FH5 DLC - Not really my thing and I bailed pretty fast (I love the main game, though) but people seem to love it.

Yeah, I don't think it is so one-sided anymore.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It means nothing, when you show all of your games.
And nobody here likes MS showing 2 years from now on games too.
People like updates. All companies get shit for that.

And with 100million eyes, there is a good chance a lot of them don't even know what's coming with your brand. We do, yes... the vast causal market watching that show on the other hand...

Last edited:
It's all about starfield for xbox. I can't even remember the last time xbox had a game with potential to be huge. Starfield is it. At the same time, it could all go wrong. What if its underwhelming and not as good as either fallout or elder scrolls? What if fallout 76 wasn't a blip and Bethesda just ain't as good as they were or have simply been left behind by the times. 2023 will be an interesting year.

feynoob

Banned
People like updates. All companies get shit for that.
What type of updates?
Because that is the thing people criticized them, when they showed their future upcoming games "Showed too early".

There is no win here.

Anyway, MS is going to do a mini event soon with tod Howard. They will go in depth for Starfield and redfall, and any other games that doesn't have dates yet.

I will wait for that event.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What type of updates?
Because that is the thing people criticized them, when they showed their future upcoming games "Showed too early".

There is no win here.

Anyway, MS is going to do a mini event soon with tod Howard. They will go in depth for Starfield and redfall, and any other games that doesn't have dates yet.

I will wait for that event.
Ok.

Easy: PlayStation.

Even if you ignore the games (which is somewhat easy to do for Xbox because outside of Plague Tale in GP, Scorn, & High on Life Xbox nor GamePass had much in terms of notable big releases. Pentiment doesn't count and Grounded was basically a 2020 game finally coming out of early access), just look at the series of events that have transpired with both brands this year.

PLAYSTATION
-PSVR2 reveal and details rollout​
-PS5 supply finally readily improved in most territories​
-PS services revenue seeing increases thanks to PS+ Extra and Premium tiers​
-Solid progress on Revision D PS5 system (streamlines PS5 production notably)​
-Increased unit and revenue sales in spite of PS5 price increase in several markets​
-Standing firm ground on stance of MS/ABK acquisition​
-Investments in From Software, publishing deals for several titles in China Hero Project​
-Successful PS Rewards rollout​

and if you throw in actual games...

-Multiple 1P AAA releases to high critical & commercial success (GT7, HFW, GOWR), with huge sales milestones hit for GOWR in particular​
-New exclusive reveals (Silent Hill 2 Remake, FF VII Remake Part 2, Death Stranding 2 etc.)​
-Lead marketing deals on several big upcoming 3P AAA releases in the form of first reveals at SOPs or hosting SOP events for them (Hogwarts Legacy, Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, RE4 Remake, Callisto Protocol etc)​
-Big award wins for 1P games at various awards shows over the year including the TGAs​

versus...

XBOX

-No 1P AAA releases for the year​
-Massive delays for Starfield & RedFall a month before new footage shown​
-Disappointing reveal for Starfield gameplay (spotty graphics in places, bad framerate/framepacing, quantity over quality optics)​
-Disastrous fallout of Halo Infinite playerbase and reputation among wider gaming market​
-Disastrous showing for Halo Amazon TV show​
-Very few notably big 3P Day 1 games for GP outside of Plague Tale: Requiem​
-Lower-than-expected sales for Series S (leading to aggressive promotional and discounting deals beginning as soon as mid-Summer)​
-CMA showing very high scrutiny into the ABK acquisition​
-FTC announcing intent to sue over ABK acquisition day of the TGAs​
-Xbox having nothing but GamePass xCloud commercials for the TGAs (previously they always had at least one big game or hardware reveal)​
-Xbox coming in 3rd in NPD for November in spite of heavy Series S pricing discounts, promotions & deals​
-Missing GamePass growth targets for 2nd time in a row​
-ABK acquisition now likely to require large concessions in order to be cleared for approval (or else it gets shut down or MS decides to terminate the deal)​

The difference between how the two brands have performed this year is literally night and day. I think MS were hoping for the ABK acquisition to give them the juice necessary to get through 2022 relatively well, and maybe they were expecting something like GOWR to get delayed into early 2023. Because I would think even by say March they had to of had some knowledge of where Starfield & RedFall were at and knew they weren't going to launch by the time of the originally advertised dates.

In any case, 2023 looks like it should be better for Microsoft but the question is will it be enough? And enough for what? If by "enough" we mean Xbox overtaking PlayStation and/or Nintendo in mindshare or coming close to them in that respect, then the answer's a solid "No". Sony simply has way too much momentum now, and a LOT more goodwill in general, and nothing MS is bringing in 2023 is going to deter much any of that. Spiderman 2 alone is going to crowd up a lot of the space aside from the expected annual COD release, and they also have Stellar Blade for 2023 as well (which looks like they will want to be their sort of Bayonetta type of deal). Similar with Nintendo, just look at the hype Tears of the Kingdom is getting right now and it's not due until June!

Most of the hype for Starfield is simply with a segment of the core Xbox & Bethesda fanbase but that June showing definitely marked anticipation lower for a lot of people, myself included. Meanwhile RedFall isn't even on many people's radar (not saying anything of the game's quality here; it could be fantastic), and Forza Motorsport is a known entity and has much less market appeal and mindshare than the Gran Turismo games. No GT releasing next year will help, but only slightly.

There's no indication that Hellblade II is ready for a 2023 release, same with Avowed (which even if it were, I doubt MS would want to cannibalize it by stuffing it and Starfield too close to each other). Fable seems like it's also a 2024 game at earliest, and Perfect Dark is probably a 2025/2026 release at this point. Everwild? Is it even still alive? SoD 3 is probably further out into 2024/2025 territory. The only other big 1P surprises MS can bring next year would be something from a Zenimax team it looks like, like a new DOOM, Wolfenstein or Quake.

If Starfield, RedFall & Forza do well with critics, fans, and in revenue, and other smaller timed exclusives (Replaced, that 2D detective game, Ravenlock tho I think that's just a Day 1 GP thing not timed) do well, and maybe if MS can get at least a couple of bigger 3P games Day 1 into GP (outside of MLB The Show, which is a known entity at this point b/c of MS's deal with the MLB League who acts as publisher on non-PlayStation platforms), then I think that'd be enough to help them regain some lost ground and be relatively healthy, even if I still think Sony & Nintendo are going to have bigger 2023s regardless. But one or two screw-ups, like if they handle this GamePass Family Plan & ad-supported rollout badly, or their 1P releases underperform with critics & gamers, can easily derail many gains they could have.

The ABK acquisition failing to go through would be a bit of a black eye on the brand but only indicative of a larger failure if the games MS have planned for 2023 don't perform as they should, or if GP ends up having another dry year, or they just don't seem to be doing much for the brand relative to Sony & Nintendo doing big things for theirs. Otherwise they can just kind of move on from that deal and focus on getting the games they already have in development out there and investing into those & the teams they already own, which is what should have been the primary focus for the whole time but better later than never.

I dunno played a lot of good indies on playstation this year. Toem, Stray, Sifu, Inscryption, Rollerdrome, Olli Olli World, Cult of The Lamb…etc

People always undersell the presence of indies on PlayStation when in truth they get about just as many as Xbox. The only difference is most PS indies are not Day 1 in PS+. OTOH, indie games are generally cheap compared to the AAA releases.

But for some reason people putting enough value judgement into an indie game to actually want to buy it outright at $10 or $20 is viewed as a bad thing these days. They should just let larger corporations to pay for their bills and line their pockets altogether. The irony being, people who genuinely believe this don't understand the big corporations able to fully cover the costs of those games into their sub services, got to that point because THEY grew their revenue & profits off selling directly to customers in open markets through capitalism.

But smaller indie devs with ambitions to grow aren't allowed to do so apparently; they should just be content staying small and have their revenue be beholden to what another company determines their game's value is worth :/

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's all about starfield for xbox. I can't even remember the last time xbox had a game with potential to be huge. Starfield is it. At the same time, it could all go wrong. What if its underwhelming and not as good as either fallout or elder scrolls? What if fallout 76 wasn't a blip and Bethesda just ain't as good as they were or have simply been left behind by the times. 2023 will be an interesting year.
This is Todd's toy. I trust him with this one.
Fallout 76 was just a side quest.

He has been dreaming about this game for a long time.

It will be another Skyrim. Hope combat is better than Skyrim.

GHG

The only anti-Xbox shit is this retarded narrative about the VGA. Sony shows 1 piece of DLC and you act like it's some massive win when Xbox had a 1 hour show during E3 time. That's just a fact. It's total bullshit.

Yeh I've clearly behaved like it's a "huge win" :

Yawn. This thread is about the year just gone, not about future fantasies.

You're the one going off on some tangent about the VGA and the usual "think about the future bro" bollox.

I'm telling you bringing up the VGA's is meaningless in the context of this thread but in your head I'm celebrating some "huge win". How does that work exactly?

PlayStation

I don’t buy Xbox consoles to worm my way to a execs attention on Twitter or constantly go on and on about services, subscriptions.

Put aside the lack of big production content, The worst thing about this is the people who arrogantly scoff at negative Xbox opinions , some of those opinions, if they were to occur in reality like making better games,have a better line up, the ones scoffing would be the first to say how great those games are, hit after hit and so on.

Last edited:

GHG

If you can't follow the conversation in the numbered post I gave you it's no longer my problem. I made my points as clearly as I possibly could.

The numbered post you're referring to was me responding to our resident Xbox marketing and communications bot.

Therefore, if you want to defend and double down on the points he made then I'll make this very simple for you: post number 25 also applies to you.

It's not the same. It's not even close to the same. It was an Xbox only showcase. You can combine Sony's showings at the VGA and the SGF and it's not even close to 1 hour.

Sony's June State of Play of just 20 - 30 minutes was at least as good as Microsoft's Xbox Showcase of that same month, if not better. Quantity != Quality. Seeing games like SF6 and Tekken 8, FF XVI etc. get reveals at that SoP was a bigger deal for myself than seeing Forza Motorsport (even if it's quality) or Starfield. And apparently the majority out there felt similar, you can CLEARLY see this in engagement metrics between those games from that June SoP and the games from the June Xbox Showcase; the former just dominate.

Sony skips E3 for multiple years and you guys don't say it's stupid but a genius move. But dare miss the Video Game AD Fest and it's a dereliction of duty. I literally think you have it completely backwards.

I actually think Sony skipping E3 was a bit of a big issue, at least until they did the large Showcases. And this year they didn't have a big Showcase and I feel that was a missed opportunity but I also think part of that could have genuinely been due to the proceedings of the ABK acquisition. Because we've seen several 3P publishers hold their own events over the year when some of those games would have normally been in a larger Showcase.

The difference between Sony & Microsoft though is people are willing to go easy on Sony for not having a showcase BECAUSE they still had several SOPs and also had some pretty big reveals for the TGAs, as well as released several big games this year between them & 3P partners. Microsoft had a maybe above-average June showcase that for a lot of people was dragged down by a less-than-stellar Starfield showing, a dry year for big exclusive releases (especially 1P-related), egg on their face with the ABK acquisition (first from the CMA and now from the FTC), and the ongoing failures of Halo Infinite and even FH5 with big parts of its core community.

So to top that off with being a no-show at the VGAs aside from tepid GamePass adverts? It's just a really bad look, and that's AFTER announcing an increase in game prices to $70 yet...not even preorders opened for Starfield? RedFall? Forza?

Here's a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. Don't mind that it looks like a bunch of grapes.

It's 2022 game.

People were able to play it in 2020 though, and it's been made available on and off since then. Most of the foundation of the game was already there in 2020.

I mean if you want to count it as a 2022 release that's fine. Not that it really changes my main point though; it was not a big release for them whatsoever. Again, might be a fun game, but it's not really helping change general perception on MS as a publisher of 1P content, and isn't doing much to generate more attention to the brand.

There's little there to pull attention away from Minecraft, Roblox, or even Sea of Thieves.

SaucyJack

As someone who's primary gaming console for this generation is an Xbox Series X, here's who I believe won each year since launch -

2020 - PlayStation 5
2021 - Xbox Series X/S
2022 - PlayStation 5

Don't see why anyone would disagree with the above or why it would even be a surprise. lol

If by win in 2021 you mean didn’t lose by as much as the other years then I agree with you 😜

Roberts

People were able to play it in 2020 though, and it's been made available on and off since then. Most of the foundation of the game was already there in 2020.

Yes, it was surprisingly functional from day one and while many gameplay elements and details are still the same, almost nothing that makes the game special was in the game at the time and even with subsequent updates.

I mean if you want to count it as a 2022 release that's fine. Not that it really changes my main point though; it was not a big release for them whatsoever. Again, might be a fun game, but it's not really helping change general perception on MS as a publisher of 1P content, and isn't doing much to generate more attention to the brand.

I will not argue this. That said, perhaps the game is a bit too hard to attract additional new players, but supposedly 15 million people have already played it and it is not a small feat. Anyway, I am being purely subjective right now, but the game is amazing. It is the most unique, awe-inspiring open world game in forever. It is incredible how much there is to do and how everything has its own rules and functionality.

Certinty

I’m going to be totally honest here, Horizon Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok bored the utter shit out of me that I gave up on both.

Meanwhile, I loved As Dusk Falls and High on Life and I didn’t even have to buy either.

reinking

Gold Member
Will 2023 or 2024 be Xbox's year? I believe they are going to "win" one of those two and the other should be a close call. If not, Phil needs to step down.

ungalo

Another year where Sony managed to release some very well produced games and also had notable partnerships. Like every year in a sense, it's just Sony.

Microsoft released a few minor games (Grounded was already in early access, As Dusk Falls, Pentiment) and essentially had a lot of Gamepass partnerships (like 60 games day one on Gamepass which is pretty solid even though most are indies, i feel like 90% of famous indie games this year released on Gamepass, that's a lot). It's probably the worst year ever for Xbox Game Studios.

Even though i really don't give a shit about Sony games it's obvious their games were impactful, more than the 60 games on Gamepass.

All I said is that it's stupid business to miss out on over 100 million eyes.
Real Estate Meme GIF by hero0fwar
Assuming they have an even in January where they announce the games from their acquisitions with a few big ones (2 - 3) shipping in 2023 we will have an interesting year ahead of us.

Otherwise I don't know what to say, there is just no point.

I will not argue this. That said, perhaps the game is a bit too hard to attract additional new players, but supposedly 15 million people have already played it and it is not a small feat. Anyway, I am being purely subjective right now, but the game is amazing. It is the most unique, awe-inspiring open world game in forever. It is incredible how much there is to do and how everything has its own rules and functionality.

In what way would you describe Grounded to be hard/difficult, or do you mean hard in terms of general appeal? The game has obvious cues to Honey I Shrunk The Kids, I kind of wonder why MS didn't just acquire that as a license for Obsidian to use and build a campaign around, then have the open-ended stuff adding to that game world? That's the kind of critical eye I continue to see MS lack when it comes to maximizing the appeal of their games/IP and that doesn't seem to be changing too much soon.

Kind of like how they missed an opportunity (IMHO) to make Flight Simulator a lot more appealing, when they got the Top Gun Maverick license to work with. Could've been a great chance to build out a full story campaign with characters from the movie, aviation missions inspired by it and the original film, stuff like that. Instead you just got a plane.

But it's a genius move to miss E3 for years. Such forward thinking.

Did you not see viewer stats recently? TGAs brought in 103 million views; E3 last go-around brought in maybe a bit north of 3 million. TGAs with 100 million more viewers.

Sony's own SOP events, let alone Showcases, bring in more viewers than E3 so it's kind of a no-brainer why they started to forego E3 as an event. That said, I wish they still did if simply because it made things feel more like a sporting event between them, MS & Nintendo and as someone who doesn't watch a lot of sports, that's the closest thing I've got to it 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom