• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamingBolt: PlayStation vs Xbox - Who WON 2022?

Kacho

The Xbox division in a nutshell

i_have_no_idea_what_im_doing_meme_640_07.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who's primary gaming console for this generation is an Xbox Series X, here's who I believe won each year since launch -

2020 - PlayStation 5
2021 - Xbox Series X/S
2022 - PlayStation 5

Don't see why anyone would disagree with the above or why it would even be a surprise. lol

Kacho

Next year and just buy stuff trying to make us better and this is coming from someone who plays most 3rd party games on the Series X because I prefer the Elite controller
We saw nothing of note at the VGAs and then Aaron Greenberg put out a tweet afterwards assuring us the games are coming. lol

The guy in video nailed it. The good will they built up is running out and it’s time for them to deliver next year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Playstation first party output is more significant, more games, more AAA games.

But for me personally it was Switch followed by Xbox. I didnt like any of the PS 1st party games this year. GP played a huge role in my Playlist this year with multiple games in my top 30 for the year on GP (High on Life, Citizen Sleeper, Norco, Immortality, Disc Room, Nobody Saves the World, Prodeus, Metal Hellsinger, Infernax, Escape Academy, Gungrave, Shredders, As Dusk Falls, etc. etc.). Pentiment was also my GOTY. Switch had numerous fantastic exclusives I enjoyed a lot (Bayonetta, Kirby, Arceus, Live A Live, Triangle Strategy, Splatoon 3).

Last edited:

lachesis

I think this year, Sony came up with better offering, so there it is. MS felt a bit lackster on 1st party offerings - especially single player games, which matters to me the most.
Sony's 1st party cinematic games don't really intrigue me much either, though... so 2022 in my opinion was one of the least exciting gaming year due to all that delays and all.
Have high hopes for 2023 actually for all fronts, including 3rd party biggies.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
We saw nothing of note at the VGAs and then Aaron Greenberg put out a tweet afterwards assuring us the games are coming. lol

The guy in video nailed it. The good will they built up is running out and it’s time for them to deliver next year.
Again as an Xbox fan even my patience is running out

Supposedly they skipped TGA show to have their own show early next year because of titles coming out prior to E3 but here again I am tired of "next year"

Again as an Xbox fan even my patience is running out

Supposedly they skipped TGA show to have their own show early next year because of titles coming out prior to E3 but here again I am tired of "next year"
Maybe you can explain something to me. Didn't Xbox have a showcase in the summer showing games coming for the next twelve months? Is the game awards really the only time Xbox has shown games? MS already said they were delaying their big titles this year so I'm not sure what the big deal is.

PhaseJump

Banned
dae626bd3bbfa48c633deec5dc4fb722.gif

I prefer Xbox more than any other console, but they have been nothing but disappointment for years, more recently with the One X being bogged down by design obsolescence and shit performance. Forza Horizon 5 had me crashing into invisible objects and signs that popped in, while Halo Infinite multiplayer was tedious and long loading bullshit to get too quick matches going.

In 2022 I cancelled every subscription related to Playstation and Xbox, bought a Steam Deck, and started building an 8bit retro computer.

Consoles aren't a top priority to me for gaming anymore. The Canadian economy is a nuclear dumpster fire and Justin Trudeau is the figurative antichrist. I'll buy a Series S/X when there are games like Fable for it, but only if I'm literally not dead or in a breadline thanks to the Liberal Party scumbags that are bringing insane taxes while refusing to sit down to negotiate funding for our hospital systems.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe you can explain something to me. Didn't Xbox have a showcase in the summer showing games coming for the next twelve months? Is the game awards really the only time Xbox has shown games? MS already said they were delaying their big titles this year so I'm not sure what the big deal is.
Just bad optics (for me anyhow) to not show anything at the biggest viewership show this industry has

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, why show things to all audiences for every platform to entice more into your ecosystem and not just fans of your own platform, with over 100million views the VGAs produced. Even the Oscars dream of 8-10x the viewership for their adverts.

Last edited:

GHG

You are more committed to damage control than Phil and Greenberg are at this stage.

It's embarrassing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's just logic. Sony wasn't at E3 and Xbox was. Sony was at VGA and Xbox wasn't. Literally the same thing.
What E3? It didn't exist.

They had Summer Games Fest with all companies were displayed, however.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The exact same time there was Keighly's Summer Games Fest which all 3 platforms had adverts.

Still stupid to skip the largest videogame viewership in history.
It's not the same. It's not even close to the same. It was an Xbox only showcase. You can combine Sony's showings at the VGA and the SGF and it's not even close to 1 hour.

Sony skips E3 for multiple years and you guys don't say it's stupid but a genius move. But dare miss the Video Game AD Fest and it's a dereliction of duty. I literally think you have it completely backwards.

It's just the same stupid anti-Xbox double standard bullshit.

Last edited:

sainraja

Sure, the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase 2022 that takes place exactly at E3 time. You got me. Wasn't it like 1 hour long?
It still wasn't E3 though. I think the point being made was Xbox sat out from a show that was aimed at all audiences — Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo. If I remember right, Sony was equally criticized for being quiet during the E3 timeframe, something even this video mentions.

It's not the same. It's not even close to the same. It was an Xbox only showcase. You can combine Sony's showings at the VGA and the SGF and it's not even close to 1 hour.

Sony skips E3 for multiple years and you guys don't say it's stupid but a genius move. But dare miss the Video Game AD Fest and it's a dereliction of duty. I literally think you have it completely backwards.

I don't know if it is in this instance. Pretty sure that Sony was criticized earlier this year for being quiet, just like MS is now with the Game Awards. People just want news lol. It's okay.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Sony skips E3 and you guys don't say it's stupid. But dare miss the Video Game AD Fest and it's a dereliction of duty. I literally think you have it completely backwards.
And the eyes reached on their own showcase pales in comparison to over 100 million gamers at the VGA.

Why market to just your base when you can reach all bases in hopes to entice them into your ecosystem?

I mean, come on man. Most companies would drag their cocks through shards of glass to get that viewer count on their products yet to come.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Even IGN was critical of them skipping the vgas. It's everywhere.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't base my opinions on IGN. I hate the fucking VGA. I think the kind of game Sony makes does very well in a disproportionate way when showcased in an audience filled with Hollywood actors and presenters.

Nintendo barely showed anything as well. Anyone focused on gameplay presentations that take a little time to see the payoff instead of cinematic games is going to come off looking lesser than in this environment. I said as much in the first thread about it. The kinds of games Xbox makes showcase better at other events, imho. And I think they literally got sued the morning of the VGA by the FTC. Maybe they just wanted to sit it out?

Regardless, I've watched E3 for a decade and vastly prefer it to the stupid commercial laden VGA ad fest. I hate it. I hated their nominees and picks as well. I think the event is a joke.

It would be one thing if the same people trying to hold up the stupid Keighley awards as some unmissable sacred thing were critical of Sony missing E3 for years, but they're not lol. Literally the biggest gaming event for the last decade, every year. So yes, regardless of what IGN thinks I don't agree with them. At all. I think the only thing Nintendo showed was that Bayonetta spinoff. Barely anything. I think all Sony showed was DLC. Barely anything. It was a joke. I'm shocked you all liked it as much as you did.

GHG

I'm actually wondering what you want the response to be from people after the the year they have just had?

And I think they literally got sued the morning of the VGA by the FTC. Maybe they just wanted to sit it out?

Yes I'm sure they told Geoff to pull everything they had planned just a few hours before the start of the event and he was able to fill the time seemlessly.

God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

feynoob

Banned
I wouldn't take that on heart.
I remember people criticizing Xbox for showing future games. Now that they have done their showcase of 12 month of games, they still get criticized for skipping VGA, even though they showcased all their upcoming games in their summer game festival.

There is no win here.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I don't base my opinions on IGN. I hate the fucking VGA. I think the kind of game Sony makes does very well in a disproportionate way when showcased in an audience filled with Hollywood actors and presenters.

Nintendo barely showed anything as well. Anyone focused on gameplay presentations that take a little time to see the payoff instead of cinematic games is going to come off looking lesser than in this environment. I said as much in the first thread about it. The kinds of games Xbox makes showcase better at other events, imho. And I think they literally got sued the morning of the VGA by the FTC. Maybe they just wanted to sit it out?

Regardless, I've watched E3 for a decade and vastly prefer it to the stupid commercial laden VGA ad fest. I hate it. I hated their nominees and picks as well. I think the event is a joke.

It would be one thing if the same people trying to hold up the stupid Keighley awards as some unmissable sacred thing were critical of Sony missing E3 for years, but they're not lol. Literally the biggest gaming event for the last decade, every year. So yes, regardless of what IGN thinks I don't agree with them. At all. I think the only thing Nintendo showed was that Bayonetta spinoff. Barely anything. I think all Sony showed was DLC. Barely anything. It was a joke. I'm shocked you all liked it as much as you did.
I was simply pointing out the silliness of your "stupid anti-Xbox double standard bullshit." It's not just a gaf thing. In fact it's everywhere. It's almost like they had a bad year compared to the competition. You can disagree if you want but the majority is not on your side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom