• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming subscription services "boost monetisation" and streaming to "become ubiquitous, replace consoles, and be the primary means" of accessing games

Is this the future you want for gaming?

• Bring it on!

• Don't care

• Not sure/it depends

• No thanks

• Backlog for life

Results are only viewable after voting.

Three

That approach would never work because if your audience doesn’t want to play what’s on tap then no one uses your service. That’s not a viable strategy in this scenario. It would have to somehow link with existing stores and allow you to play anything you own on any platform from anywhere. That would have my attention.
Geforce Now is like this. Gamepass is not but people seem to play what's on tap no matter what it is.

ahtlas7

Streaming will never become the standard. by the time the infrastructure is there we will have phones in our pockets that can play RTX3080ti levels of games, and at that point, why bother with streaming?
Years ago I worked in film distribution. I would say, “Netflix, will never work, internets is to slow” … time has a way of making fools of us all.

Warablo

They want people always online to provide your personal data and to buy their shit. Gotta have constant growth.

Unfortunately this will become reality eventually.

It's the end goal since games became "services" and the goal is to nickel and dime everything . It's not about the game being fun, it's about how can it be designed in order to obtain as much money as possible.

team america vomit GIF

Goalus

Streaming will never become the standard. by the time the infrastructure is there we will have phones in our pockets that can play RTX3080ti levels of games, and at that point, why bother with streaming?
And digital downloads will never replace physical media.
Sure, it's not wrong.
Physical discs will probably not drop below 1% market share for a very long time. They won't climb above 2% either though.

i disagree streaming to replace consoles. At least console dont need a constant 24 hours internet connection to run your games, that would be pretty inconvenience and dumb
It does need a 24 hours connection to a power outlet though which is also inconvenient and dumb, but seemingly doesn't cause any problems.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
And digital downloads will never replace physical media.
Sure, it's not wrong.
Physical discs will probably not drop below 1% market share for a very long time. They won't climb above 2% either though.

It does need a 24 hours connection to a power outlet though which is also inconvenient and dumb, but seemingly doesn't cause any problems.
you are more likely to lose internet connection than power outlet.
And having a constant internet does not guarantee good streaming quality.

Reactions: GHG

Lunarorbit

Hahaha. No.

This is another in the LONG list of wishful and idiotic thinking in the tech space when it comes to video games. The infrastructure isn't here! If the cable companies would have been kept to their contracts we'd have updated internet connectivity all across the country.

Stadia died a spectacular death. I'm not playing games thru Netflix. This isn't happening for awhile if ever

Jaybe

This is the c-suite level wish for the industry. I agree with the sub services being increasingly important but streaming won’t hit where the likely rosy projections are and certainly not the timeline they are likely expecting. They probably know this too hence the mid gen refreshes on the way.

Wildebeest

This is a natural evolution of the console market, where big corporations would compete for being the "set top box" with control of your living room entertainment. But if it is the future of gaming or not is something else. Gaming has always been more diverse than that and if those "megaservices" were really to take over then gaming would choke to death in a slow period of stagnation and regression as new ideas and industry expertise faded away. Look at video livestreaming services. It seems that no amount of money in the world is good enough to pay for new content that doesn't suck.

Comandr

Geforce Now is like this. Gamepass is not but people seem to play what's on tap no matter what it is.
I have never really dabbled in GeForce now but I’m fairly certain it doesn’t allow you to link your own PlayStation or Nintendo accounts to their service. I’m talking about a Movies Anywhere or iTunes Match but for games. Navigating tons of stores or apps to find the particular thing you want is annoying.

If we are talking about impossible wishes for a streaming future, mine is one app to rule them all. Let me link all of my accounts to one app and play anything I own from anywhere with no discernible lag or image degradation on Wi-Fi or cellular. Also I don’t want to pay for data to stream these games in this future so whatever subscription I’m going to get bent over for better include unlimited network access.

Last edited:

Three

I have never really dabbled in GeForce now but I’m fairly certain it doesn’t allow you to link your own PlayStation or Nintendo accounts to their service. I’m talking about a Movies Anywhere or iTunes Match but for games. Navigating tons of stores or apps to find the particular thing you want is annoying.

If we are talking about impossible wishes for a streaming future, mine is one app to rule them all. Let me link all of my accounts to one app and play anything I own from anywhere with no discernible lag or image degradation on Wi-Fi or cellular. Also I don’t want to pay for data to stream these games in this future so whatever subscription I’m going to get bent over for better include unlimited network access.

Unfortunately not, you can't do your Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo library. Only your Steam and EGS one and even then it is not the full library because publishers have removed them from the service.

Helghan

Because the servers have even better GPU's? If you have a RTX3080ti in your computer, you're never going to upgrade it?

Sophist

Stadia was never relevant, just another failed google half assed initiative. Xbox cloud has millions of users, is available on mobile and now also on smart tv; console gaming devices are obsolete and selfish; manufacturing them destroy the environment. Mutualisation through servers is the only way to a sane gaming futur for us and for the planet.

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
I voted ‘it depends’ on the proviso being of course, that it is not that ‘I have to love 175ms+ latency with jitter’ and it offers a comparable service with local play. There’s nothing to say that if Microsoft goes this route that the others have to follow.

Sojiro

I think inevitably the industry will go there, but am hopeful physical still exists to some degree, like someone mentioned with vinyl still being around. I can imagine Nintendo, for being as stubborn as they are, holding out for as long as possible so that is something at least.

You know damn well companies are salivating at being able to lock us into permanent rentals, which can be removed at any time for any reason. I have been building up an good supply of current stuff and retro for when it all goes to hell.

Last edited:
Future of console is forced streaming device but i think the PC will stay a physically available product with only dematerialized games...

Only casual console player can accept cloud gaming and they are a lot...

MacReady13

Years ago I worked in film distribution. I would say, “Netflix, will never work, internets is to slow” … time has a way of making fools of us all.
How’s the input latency on Netflix these days? Getting better to control Seinfeld and Dahmer? Or do they lag like hell With a Bluetooth controller?

daveonezero

Banned
No thanks. I’ll play everything that is on PC and consoles created for the rest of my gaming and never deal with that BS.

This isn’t sustainable.

Local hardware and local libraries is the decentralized platforms that are e better for individual people.

Because the servers have even better GPU's? If you have a RTX3080ti in your computer, you're never going to upgrade it?
Playing through a network will always have a bottle neck. Local mar Hines will always have less variables and hence less of a bottle neck

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned

It'll more likely oscillate for decades. Just like we've seen in web development, insourcing / outsourcing etc. During my career I've seen both swing like a pendulum almost every few years, and each time we see it everyone swears it'll be the new standard. I think we'll see the same in gaming.

This could turn out to be the greatest thing ever or a dystopian nightmare.

When I look at how social media, online shopping, DLC, crypto, hell the internet in general turned out, I'd suspect we're in for a rude awakening. By then it's all too late, like always.

Just paid over 2K euros (GPU) not to be dependent on closed ecosystems with 80 EUR day one game pricetags and all the other BS you're bullied into once you opt into the walled gardens.

Don’t care really, as shit changes people will adapt. If it sucks people won’t adopt it and it won’t change.
That's a nice theory you have going on there. So in a pluralist, "free" society, the majority decides what direction things take? Like it is, I don't know, a sovereign? How did that work out for Europeans with regards to uncontrolled migration from third world countries? How did it go down for the Europeans who wanted peace and negotiations instead of war? It doesn't seem like most (if not all) of the most impactful, life changing decisions are being made by the "sovereign" anymore. Let alone in the world of companies who only serve their shareholders. How powerful do you really feel as a consumer? When you ignore the nice sounding theories for a second that economists came up with 100 years or so ago?

PeteBull

Unfortunately this will become reality eventually.

It's the end goal since games became "services" and the goal is to nickel and dime everything . It's not about the game being fun, it's about how can it be designed in order to obtain as much money as possible.

team america vomit GIF
Thats the goal of the devs/pubs for sure, but so far all their tries fell miserably, ofc they wont stop trying :p

Of course they do. Did you think corporations introduce these things for your benefit? It's only to line their own pockets. They want total control

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, if people can get really anal about their precious physical media, this probably sounds like a dystopian nightmare to them lol.

I don't care either way. I just want to be able to play games that I want and when I want. Preferably in the highest possible fidelity but I'm not a stickler either. I've abandoned physical media a long time ago and we've reached a point where I barely ever have to tinker with the game's files so what's the big deal anyway? Just make sure that gaming won't turn into what happened to the mobile makret, otherwise I'm gonna look for a different hobby, plain and simple.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
i disagree streaming to replace consoles. At least console dont need a constant 24 hours internet connection to run your games, that would be pretty inconvenience and dumb
I have only "lost" internet connection twice in the last 2.5 years. One time my garage flooded and an extension cord that was plugged in caused the circuit breaker my FIOS gateway was on to trip. Another time my primary router had an ethernet port failure and it was the one connected to the WAN. Before that I had cable internet for several years and actually had one or 2 outages for an hour or so. I have had more power outages than internet outages. Internet is very reliable so not many people will be sensitive to online only for home gaming.

Streaming is possible now. MS is supposedly coming out with a streaming box. Some users will buy them. Most traditional gamers will not buy them unless they want a second option for another room or the kids or something. Gradually many will decide that the cheap steam box is good enough and the number who buy dedicated hardware will decrease. Whether it goes away entirely will depend on how well the dedicated HW experience differentiates itself from streaming. If there is not enough market there, then there will be no more dedicated HW. PC gaming with high end HW will be the last to go, if ever. Portable will probably kick around for a while too as long as parents realize that letting kids play high quality games is better than letting them play mobile shit on cheap tablets.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
That's a nice theory you have going on there. So in a pluralist, "free" society, the majority decides what direction things take? Like it is, I don't know, a sovereign? How did that work out for Europeans with regards to uncontrolled migration from third world countries? How did it go down for the Europeans who wanted peace and negotiations instead of war? It doesn't seem like most (if not all) of the most impactful, life changing decisions are being made by the "sovereign" anymore. Let alone in the world of companies who only serve their shareholders. How powerful do you really feel as a consumer? When you ignore the nice sounding theories for a second that economists came up with 100 years or so ago?
We talking entertainment here, get help if you want to compare streaming games to fucking war.

Synless

The day they do this and I can’t own my games physically anymore is the day I stop gaming. Thats not a joke. quote me on this day Gaf.

Phones will kill consoles before streaming does. Phones were about to kill consoles back in 2009!

Now, games made for monetization are not something I'm interested in, I may as well spend my money on lottery tickets and have a chance to gain something out of it (because these games are usually not fun anyway).

So far I see no other reason to stream than novelty.

Last edited:

Helghan

Playing through a network will always have a bottle neck. Local mar Hines will always have less variables and hence less of a bottle neck
Of course, but that doesn't mean that we can't achieve a level of "good enough" for streaming. And the visuals will always be better streamed than whatever your phone is able to render, since those servers have the latest console hardware, while your phone does not, and is weaker.

Flakster99

Man, if people can get really anal about their precious physical media, this probably sounds like a dystopian nightmare to them lol.

I don't care either way. I just want to be able to play games that I want and when I want. Preferably in the highest possible fidelity but I'm not a stickler either. I've abandoned physical media a long time ago and we've reached a point where I barely ever have to tinker with the game's files so what's the big deal anyway? Just make sure that gaming won't turn into what happened to the mobile makret, otherwise I'm gonna look for a different hobby, plain and simple.

These are my thoughts to a T. I honestly couldn't give a shit. As long as I'm able to play games that I want when I want it's all good.

Top Bottom