• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming is in big trouble as SIE misses forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elysium44

Banned
How are their profits taking such a nose dive?

Is it down to the losses on hardware?

Probably. They held the price for the slim despite inflation so it's a real terms price cut, not that many people understand inflation and give them any credit for it.

What do most people do with their PS5? Buy maybe one or two full price games and otherwise play their old PS4 games with a few less frame drops? I doubt this is going to make Sony's profits soar.

Varteras

Gold Member
He has 5 ps5s he can't be disingenuous.
Frustrated Annie Potts GIF by CBS

Kokoloko85

Uhhh, you missed Astro's Playroom,
I missed bunch of smaller games on PS4 too. If you want to include that one game, I can include 2-3 from Japan studios and the others

, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, The Last Of Us Part I and Helldivers II from your PS5 list.
PC, PC, PC, PC… Im talking only exclusive to the PS console

Plus, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Wipeout Omega Collection, Everybody's Golf, Knack II and Everybody's Golf weren't even out on PS4 by the point we're in today in the PS5 lifecycle.
They were on it by the end of 2017, which would be the same as the end of 2024. Only Concord might be coming so far this year. Even if they released 2 more games, the list is still short

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd bet my account that a PS handheld comes out, the question is whether you'll be able to play your PS library or whether you'll have to double dip entirely or pay for a multi-use license.

If they made you double dip then it would be DOA. A complete failure.

The only way it's successful is if it's treated like a companion piece to the PS ecosystem.

This FY year, zero major first party releases. But If Concord is a massive hit as well + the 3rd party exclusive releases, it's not a terrible year. Definitely better than last year

Just talking about gaming landscape with GTA 6 and Sony. It will take up so much oxygen, its probably OK Sony only has 1 big release next year(most likely) with DS2

Again, you're misinterpreting that. That's not what they said. They said no major releases for existing franchises. That's not the same thing as no major first party releases.

Day's Gone and Death Stranding both came out in 2019, neither was a major first party franchise release. They were both original IP.

The same in 2017 when Horizon released. You never know how well a new IP will sell, but if you're doing financial projections, you would assume less than Spider-Man 2. That's how forecasts work. If you forecast greater sales based on a new IP and it totally bombs. Now your stock is going to hemorrhage. It's the opposite of what they did with the 25 million projection.

If Sony had said 20-21 million, this story would be completely different.

If they made you double dip then it would be DOA. A complete failure.

The only way it's successful is if it's treated like a companion piece to the PS ecosystem.

Not sure that is true. I think that assumes that the customers who would own it are customers who already own PS5s, but I think the Switch kind of proves that isn't likely to be the case.

Are the people buying Switch Lite all owners of a Switch? I doubt it.

Also you might be able to do that going forward with the PS6, but it would be hard to do with the PS5 and existing games, which would probably need to be patched to work. If they wait for the PS6, that probably pushes out a handheld tremendously.

You either aren't getting full compatibility or you're definitely paying for titles over again.

I think a dual license fee of 10-20 bucks would be a fair compromise.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Missing a sales target by 4 million units and the CEO talking about how finding ways to maintain profitability and margins is his main concern even after record breaking sales in the last few years doesn't sound reassuring.
Depends.

Sony has been talking for a few years about needing more focus on GaaS to increase revenue to fund all the games people are demanding from them.

More revenue will also allow for more smaller titles to add to the major titles that take longer to develop.

This is most likely a bit of downtime to get everything going and it'll pick up again as the second half of the gen progresses.

Depending on what Xbox is going to say tomorrow, we might see interest in Playstation picking up again as well.

Then there is ofcourse the global economy that is in shambles rn, which doesn't help either. But that is a bigger issue that doesn't affect just the gaming industry.

Uh oh:

Time to sell your ps5

Lack of reading comprehension on GAF. "No new major franchise existing titles" doesn't mean no new titles from them that are AAA. It just means we are getting a new IP this year which to me is a good thing. I could use a small break from franchise sequels TBH. I want some new games and IPs.

Again, you're misinterpreting that. That's not what they said. They said no major releases for existing franchises. That's not the same thing as no major first party releases.

Day's Gone and Death Stranding both came out in 2019, neither was a major first party franchise release. They were both original IP.

The same in 2017 when Horizon released. You never know how well a new IP will sell, but if you're doing financial projections, you would assume less than Spider-Man 2. That's how forecasts work. If you forecast greater sales based on a new IP and it totally bombs. Now your stock is going to hemorrhage. It's the opposite of what they did with the 25 million projection.

If Sony had said 20-21 million, this story would be completely different.
I'm not expecting Bluepoint, Housemarque, or Team Asobi to release a game in the next year. Those are the only studios that could possibly release. And those studios are probably Sony's smallest AAA studios. Really doubtful Sony releases a 70$ AAA 1st party game in the next year. That is not good. Its probably going to be 1.5 year gap between SM2 and whatever the next game is

Kokoloko85

Well, going forward Sony is going to release all their games on PC eventually, so your comparison is beyond stupid and missing the mark of reality.
Well Demons Souls, Ghost of Tsushima havent made it on to the PC yet after 4+ years, so its not beyond stupid comparison yet.

It’s beyond retarded that some of you cant accept PS4 had more exclusives than PS5 in the same timeframe. Accept and move on.

With no price decrease and The dumb ps plus price increase, with also having little to no exclusive games, they were always going to struggle, with the whole gass games not planning out, Sony needs a change of strategy, ps5 slim and ps5 pro this year maybe, vita 2?. They have options.

I'm not expecting Bluepoint, Housemarque, or Team Asobi to release a game in the next year. Those are the only studios that could possibly release. And those studios are probably Sony's smallest AAA studios. Really doubtful Sony releases a 70$ AAA 1st party game in the next year. That is not good. Its probably going to be 1.5 year gap between SM2 and whatever the next game is
Don't they have Concord? They had it up in a trailer of upcoming games this year and that's a new AAA IP.

That's just not accurate.

You're forgetting about Sony Santa Monica's new IP that Barlog was working on while Ragnarok was in development. You're ignoring Sony London Studios. You're ignoring Firesprite, Haven Studios.

Bluepoint could absolutely release a game in the next year and so could Housemarque. Depends greatly on the size and scope of the game and the engine.

Want to bet your account that sony doesn't release a 70 dollar AAA first party game in the next year?

Bloodborne wasn't made by SIE it was made by FromSoftware.

The reasons for the PS5 being a compelling product don't have to be the same reasons as the PS4. The PS5 has decreased loading times, enhanced backward compatibility, AND exclusive titles.

Even if you have a powerful PC, you're not getting PlayStation titles within the same year in most cases.

That the PS5 is only 2.3 million units behind the PS4 despite supply chain issues for 2 years is a huge accomplishment, but there's something wrong with you and your comprehension.

Should have read your whole post, you entirely lost me at woke. Go to sleep snowflake.
But that's the point. Bloodborne was a risky AA project for Sony. The kind of projects they totally stopped doing since 2019. Their latest similar projects were Returnal and Demon's souls, quasi launch titles, scheduled by the previous bosses. Now they want to drown us with one AAA game (well sequel) by year and countless GAAS games.

And people have so many games to play, they are not afraid of waiting a few years to play those on PC.

I didn't say woke SM2 caused it to bomb. The game didn't bomb, but it wasn't an incredible success either for their only game released in 2023. And it's Spider-man, we know that IP cost them millions from Marvels. But by following the DEI religion it sends a signal and people have being very receptive to those signals. Just look at the true surprise single player success of 2023, Hogwarts and how Disney products failed lately. Sony can do virtue signaling in their products, fine as we are in a free world, but like Marvels they are doomed to fail if they fully commit with that.

Personnaly I wouldn't want them to fail because I think they bring a lot to gaming and one of my favorites games in the recent years were from Sony.

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
What was the last original game that was released since the launch auf PS5? Anyone? Its a Generation of remasters and revisits.
Thats what im thinking, the games are good but just more of the same, not much variety either, Sony dont even have a 1st party FPS since Killzone Shadowfall.

Mr.Phoenix

@James Sawyer Ford and Mr.Phoenix Mr.Phoenix thoughts?

I said it was clear that Spider-Man 2 wouldn't perform well enough to push the PS5 to 25 million. It wasn't even close.
Yup, I got this one wrong. Then again, I made my predictions at a time when I thought there would be a PS5 price drop along with the slim. And even likely a $399 Slim with a bundled game. Not only did that not happen, they fucking increased the price of the console.

On spiderman, I think it did what it was expected to do and then some, it at least exceeded their target of 7M'ish for the period. People seem to forget that the OG SM game was released to a PS4 install base of over 80M. The PS5 install base is about half that. But even more important, the OG SM game had a PS4 bundle of $300.

With all that said, seeing that they are about 4M off that 25M target, I cant say that a $399 SM2/COD bundle would have been enough to take them to 25M either. I believe it may have though.

As for gaming being in trouble, that is an overreaction to say the least. Sony are still having a helluva year.

I mean we know that isn't true because Until Dawn remake is coming out, but ignoring remakes and remasters, I'd still bet my account against yours that isn't true.

You guys keep moving the goalposts.

Lol im just speculating. But dont do a Timdog if it turns out to be true.

Last edited:
But that's the point. Bloodborne was a risky AA project for Sony. The kind of projects they totally stopped doing since 2019. Their latest similar projects were Returnal and Demon's souls, quasi launch titles, scheduled by the previous bosses. Now they want to drown us with one AAA game (well sequel) by year and countless GAAS games.

And people have so many games to play, they are not afraid of waiting a few years to play those on PC.

I didn't say woke SM2 caused it to bomb. The game didn't bomb, but it wasn't an incredible success either for their only game released in 2023. And it's Spider-man, we know that IP cost them millions from Marvels. But by following the DEI religion it sends a signal and people have being very receptive to those signals. Just look at the true surprise single player success of 2023, Hogwarts and how Disney products failed lately. Sony can do virtue signaling in their products, fine as we are in a free world, but like Marvels they are doomed to fail if they fully commit with that.

Personnaly I wouldn't want them to fail because I think they bring a lot to gaming and one of my favorites games in the recent years were from Sony.

That's just not true though, objectively it isn't.

You have Kena, Stray, Sifu... multiple AA projects.

They're also pushing investment to 50% original IP by the end of next year and have been increasing that ratio since 2018.

By the time Spider-Man 2 is done it'll have sold as well as Spider-Man 1.

You have a dumb obsession with DEI and woke. It makes you sound like an idiot.

Hogwarts had a trans character in it and was the biggest selling title of the year. It was "woke." Marvels Phase 4 stuff is failing because it is trash, not too dissimilar to movies like Thor the dark world or Iron man 3. Was Black Panther woke? Or does that not fit your narrative? Wonder Woman? Somehow it's only woke if it fails...

That's just not accurate.

You're forgetting about Sony Santa Monica's new IP that Barlog was working on while Ragnarok was in development. You're ignoring Sony London Studios. You're ignoring Firesprite, Haven Studios.

Bluepoint could absolutely release a game in the next year and so could Housemarque. Depends greatly on the size and scope of the game and the engine.

Want to bet your account that sony doesn't release a 70 dollar AAA first party game in the next year?
Barlog's game surely went through most of pre-production during Ragnarok, but they still need 3-4 years to actually develop the game. They do not have 2 full teams, even as of now. Lol at that game coming by next March. Out of your mind

London and Haven are making GAAS games, so nope, not a 70$ major first party title. Firesprite just began development on their new horror game, I believe

It's possible Housemarque or Bluepoint could release but doubtful. They are working on new ip's and that should take 5 years minimum, unless it's smaller in scope, which would disappointing. And quite possibly they wouldn't sell for 70$ if that was the case

I'm not sure if gambling is allowed here, but if it is im happy to wager that Sony 1st party studio won't release a 70$ game until after March 31st next year

Barlog's game surely went through most of pre-production during Ragnarok, but they still need 3-4 years to actually develop the game. They do not have 2 full teams, even as of now. Lol at that game coming by next March. Out of your mind

London and Haven are making GAAS games, so nope, not a 70$ major first party title. Firesprite just began development on their new horror game, I believe

It's possible Housemarque or Bluepoint could release but doubtful. They are working on new ip's and that should take 5 years minimum, unless it's smaller in scope, which would disappointing. And quite possibly they wouldn't sell for 70$ if that was the case

I'm not sure if gambling is allowed here, but if it is im happy to wager that Sony 1st party studio won't release a 70$ game until after March 31st next year

Pretty sure the mods will allow an account bet.

That's just not true though, objectively it isn't.

You have Kena, Stray, Sifu... multiple AA projects.

They're also pushing investment to 50% original IP by the end of next year and have been increasing that ratio since 2018.

By the time Spider-Man 2 is done it'll have sold as well as Spider-Man 1.

You have a dumb obsession with DEI and woke. It makes you sound like an idiot.

Hogwarts had a trans character in it and was the biggest selling title of the year. It was "woke." Marvels Phase 4 stuff is failing because it is trash, not too dissimilar to movies like Thor the dark world or Iron man 3. Was Black Panther woke? Or does that not fit your narrative? Wonder Woman? Somehow it's only woke if it fails...
All those games were projects initiated from the previous executive team (before 2019)! And no need for name calling. It looks like this subject is a sensitive one for you if you need to insult me.

ProtoByte

Neither of which blew up the charts in any way, and the former was actively derided by fans, no? And wasn't Pikmin 4 announced like 5 years prior?

Either way, just look at those games. I see no evidence to suggest that Nintendo is doing a better job than anyone in the industry despite lagging behind on tech and scope by 2 generations at least. There are peaks and troughs in output. Just how the cookie crumbles.

Mister Wolf

Neither of which blew up the charts in any way, and the former was actively derided by fans, no? And wasn't Pikmin 4 announced like 5 years prior?

Either way, just look at those games. I see no evidence to suggest that Nintendo is doing a better job than anyone in the industry despite lagging behind on tech and scope by 2 generations at least. There are peaks and troughs in output. Just how the cookie crumbles.

super-mario-rpg-cover.cover_300x.jpg
metroid-prime-remastered-cover.cover_300x.jpg

MadViking

This is what happens when you put your games on another platform, i.e. PC. Short term gain and long term loss. Now it's the time for the loss.

Dev cycles are becoming too long. I don't know if Sony could expand all the studios. It's questionable whether they can hire so many people who are of that caliber quickly and absorb them.

panda-zebra

Going to look genius of Spencer when he starts dropping his first party on playstation in the vacuum left by sony's own over the next 1-2 years.

Mr.Phoenix

Damn this is just so wrong and false its scary. Its almost as if you are pushing an agenda... hope thats not the case though.

SM2, was released to a PS5 install base of around 40ish million in October 2023. Less than 5 months later, they have sold over 10M copies of that game. And that is not incredible success to you? Like... this is one of those times where the reality of something just doesn't line up with what you are saying... or even thinking.

- SM1, release to 80M+PS4 install base, sold 9M in 3 months. 13.5M in 11 months. had a $299 PS4 bundle.
- SM2, released to 45M ish PS5 install base, sold 10M+ in 4 months, had a $500 PS5 bundle.

Reading that, and then reading what you said, doesn't what you said start to sound kinda silly? Like what were you expecting it to do?

I don't even know what the hell that means?
One of us has to go.

All those games were projects initiated from the previous executive team (before 2019)! And no need for name calling. It looks like this subject is a sensitive one for you if you need to insult me.

Again with the moving of goalposts. If you feel insulted because I called you out, maybe you're the sensitive one?

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
And now they'll have Concord, Destiny 2 Final Shape, Marathon, and who knows what else...
Hopefully more, Destiny and Marathon are multiplatform but that Concord might be the 1. I hadnt heard of it untill then, just had a little look at it, il be keeping my eye on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom