• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming is in big trouble as SIE misses forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

StueyDuck

I bet they are looking back at that bungie purchase and going hmmmm.

Consolidation was never going to be a good thing and we can see now it's compounding on issues already prevalent in the industry with Uncle Mikey-Soft having to seemingly go mostly 3rd party.

Elysium44

Banned
This was clear as day to me:

I suspect that they expected a bigger boost from PS5 Slim sales. Tom Hendersons Pro rumours have probably put a real damper on things too.

I am still waiting to buy a PS5. The 'slim' is still ugly and stands out like a sore thumb compared to the slim PS4, and I ask myself, what do I want it for anyway really? Play a handful of cross-gen games at a slightly higher level of detail? Meh.

Kokoloko85

Uncharted 4 is also on PC as is TLOU Left Behind. Same with Horizon Zero Dawn and Lost Legacy.
They werent on PC at the time and Sony wasn’t releasing anything on PC at that time. They were true exclusives back then for awhile

If you want to objectively compare Ps4 and Ps5 you'd compared 2013-2017 to 2020-2024 (which isn't over yet).

Sony is more tight-lipped about their games, but that doesn't mean they aren't coming.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
God of War Ragnarok
Spider-Man 2
All those apart from Spiderman 2 and Demons Souls are on other platforms, PS4 or PC

The only thing that comes close to these titles within that time period was Uncharted 4

But why am i arguing with you. You'll mention SoTC remake as a positive, but ignore remakes on PS5...
TLOU1 remake is on PC, SOTC wasnt on PC. It was a game from 2 generations ago. TLOU got a remaster on PS4 and was less than 10 years old.
I did mention Demons Souls though

They’ve never had a gap of no internal studios releasing games this long. October 2023- March 2025 supposedly. Hermen gone fucked up

Last edited:

Sakura

The yen is stronger now than it was this time last year.

Try again.
?
The exchange rate is listed rate here on the far right:

141.6 vs 141.7 is hardly a meaningful difference.
There is a reason most of the highest revenue Q3s are within the last few years.
Inflation and the shitty exchange rate are real and significant factors here in making this the "2nd biggest quarter on record in terms of revenue" .
And I'm not sure how you can say they are setting sale records when the PS4 is literally pulling further away launch aligned.

They werent on PC at the time and Sony wasn’t releasing anything on PC at that time. They were true exclusives back then for awhile

All those apart from Spiderman 2 and Demons Souls are on other platforms, PS4 or PC

TLOU1 remake is on PC, SOTC wasnt on PC. It was a game from 2 generations ago. TLOU got a remaster on PS4 and was less than 10 years old.
I did mention Demons Souls though

And games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West aren't launch titles on PC either. You can't have your cake and eat it too with these arguments. Even Returnal took quite a long time to come to PC and wasn't on PS4.

Who cares if these games are on PC?

Hudo

Another bad take. While I do think they have pipeline problems, you're ignoring new IP which people have demanded for quite some time. We've seen major titles for almost every major Sony franchise hit already, there were also years with the PS4 where we didn't have existing franchise big titles. The years where games like Day's Gone were the biggest game from Sony.

If it makes you feel any better.

The number was a bit too optimistic I guess, but it still sold pretty wild. HW-revenue must have been a record if it almost beat PS2, which was certainly cheaper? I would assume the price tag will decide the next months or years. Many customers still expect consoles to be cheap(er) and I don't know if even a PS5 superslim will be that. I still think Sony missed the crossgen (and beyond) oppurtunity to squeeze the PS4 lifecycle with doing a PS4 Mini and PSP4 handheld. Offering some maybe outdated but nevertheless cheaper platform might be a possibility even now though. I guess a Plus powered only digital supercheap PS4 might still sell in some areas of the world, and a handheld worldwide.

Three

100%
Only Demons Souls and Spiderman 2 are true PS5 exclusives from the internal/PS studios. Everything else is on PS4 or PC.

Compared to last gen, by this time, the 4th year:

There was
Little big planet 3
Tearaway
Last of Us left behind
A bit bizarre to dismiss all those PS5 games because they were on PS4 or later PC then go on to list these no?

With no fp game for the end of the year if there was any chance for xbox to grab back some marketshare it would be this year.
Alas...

onQ123

O onQ123 thoughts?

They have a lot of studios and game development costs are high. They're selling the PS5 at a loss due to the bundle with Spider-Man 2.

Spider-Man 2's operating income is going to be significantly lower than other 1st party titles and the game didn't sell nearly as well as it needed to, as I mentioned 3 months ago, especially with the bundle.
Spiderman bundle , redesign with 250GB more storage & maybe Portal .

Strangely PS5 is continuing to sell at a steady pace at $499

daclynk

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Elysium44

Banned
The number was a bit too optimistic I guess, but it still sold pretty wild. HW-revenue must have been a record if it almost beat PS2, which was certainly cheaper?

In today's dollars the PS2 launched at $529 and was down to $329 by 2003. So not really much cheaper. PS5 is not expensive and doesn't explain why sales are missing expectations. The lack of compelling reasons to buy it probably does.

A bit bizarre to dismiss all those PS5 games because they were on PS4 or later PC then go on to list these no?

Beyond bizzare. Games cost way too much to develop to not try to recoup some of the cost from PC, especially if it doesn't eat into your hardware sales. If Sony can sell more PS5s than PS4s AND sell their first party content on PC which they didn't do on PS4, doesn't that sound like a no brainer?

With no fp game for the end of the year if there was any chance for xbox to grab back some marketshare it would be this year.
Alas...

They didn't say no first party games for the rest of the year. They said they won't be releasing a major franchise i.e. God of War, Spider-Man, Horizon, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima, or Last of Us...

It's almost in insane problem to have. No one in the industry has as many major AAA franchises, that people would get in a tizzy over not having a release in a year.

When is the next Baldur's Gate coming out or the next Elden Ring? Games take time to develop.

Sony also is making original IP, it doesn't mean the games can't sell well, they just obviously wouldn't project it to sell as much as Spider-Man 2, but guess what happened in 2020. Ghost of Tsushima sold about as well as The Last of Us 2. Elden Ring sold better than Horizon Forbidden West. New IP has the potential to overperform probably more so than existing IP which have more consistent projections.

In today's dollars the PS2 launched at $529 and was down to $329 by 2003. So not really much cheaper. PS5 is not expensive and doesn't explain why sales are missing expectations. The lack of compelling reasons to buy it probably does.

PS2 never sold 25 million units in a single fiscal year. PS2 also doubled as a dvd player and a very cost effective one.

PS5 missed expectations because expectations were too high. It's on pace to be a top 5 selling system all time, but let's pretend like that isn't true because... reasons...

Ar¢tos

Looking forward to a third party Sony, soon.
I mean.. Sure... But on what other platforms?
They are already going to PC, so Switch?
Getting Sony AAA running on Switch would be a nightmare.
Xbox isn't even a consideration... It would cost more to port, debug and optimize the games (and dealing with the XSS) than the profit they would make from the sales there.

Sony's 1st party studios are too clustered together for their release dates. Pretty much every major first party studio is expected to release a game in 2026 or 2027. Maybe Housemarque or Bluepoint release in 2025, but I wouldn't be surprised if they need a full 5 years of development for new IP's. Bend, SSM, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerilla, and Sucker Punch are all lumped together in that 2026-2027 release window

Also, do these numbers include writing off Factions? That was probably an extra 100-200mil operating loss

Well, it is unknown for me the profit they make for each PS5 sold, so I wouldn’t say they can afford a price cut or they can’t unless we get the whole picture.

There are still many people playing games on their vanilla PS4 and PS4 Pro, sooner or later these people will move to PS5 but since most of current titles are being released on former gen consoles people don’t feel the urge to upgrade. Releasing new titles on older consoles seems to be a double-edged sword strategy, you sell more copies but don’t entice customers to upgrade their hardware

Sony's 1st party studios are too clustered together for their release dates. Pretty much every major first party studio is expected to release a game in 2026 or 2027. Maybe Housemarque or Bluepoint release in 2025, but I wouldn't be surprised if they need a full 5 years of development for new IP's. Bend, SSM, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerilla, and Sucker Punch are all lumped together in that 2026-2027 release window

Also, do these numbers include writing off Factions? That was probably an extra 100-200mil operating loss

When you consider the PS5 late stage and early PS6, it's largely fine, but that's also why they want live service franchises.

Releasing 2-3 games a year between 2026 and 2028 is fine, in fact it is good and exactly what they did in the final years of the PS4.

God of War and Spider-Man both came out in 2018. Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 both came out in 2020. 2019 saw both Day's Gone and Death Stranding.

GHG

?
The exchange rate is listed rate here on the far right:

141.6 vs 141.7 is hardly a meaningful difference.

Right. So their revenue increases YoY, resulting in new records are not influenced by the yen weakness, which is what you were suggesting.

There is a reason most of the highest revenue Q3s are within the last few years.
Inflation and the shitty exchange rate are real and significant factors here in making this the "2nd biggest quarter on record in terms of revenue" .

An inflationary environment is not a positive thing when you intend to sell products to consumers. Despite that, they are still managing to sell more than they did in previous years.

And I'm not sure how you can say they are setting sale records when the PS4 is literally pulling further away launch aligned.

Why don't you ask them:

Darsxx82

It sounds like layoffs, closure of some Studio and more day one games on PC approaching. The industry must be much worse than it seems.
I expected everything except the apocalyptic message from the CEO of SONY questioning the viability of their business in the current situation where they are prominent leaders.

AAAs are ceasing to be profitable. They are very expensive and require on average 5-6 years or more of development. You simply need each one of them to be a resounding success and sell twice as much as the last generation. And this requires reaching out to many users because consoles are not growing in that aspect, but rather the opposite.

GHG

Well they're going to have to come with something. How else are they going to trick you guys into buying a PS5 Pro?

Better performance for existing games tends to be good enough for me. As it has been for literally every GPU upgrade I've ever done.

Kokoloko85

Im comparing exclusives to exclusives at the time.
None of those games were on PS3 or PC. PC titles from PS wasnt even a thing. So we all thought they were always on PS only. Evene if you dimiss those, theres still more of them

Three

Im comparing exclusives to exclusives at the time.
None of those games were on PS3 or PC. PC titles from PS wasnt even a thing. So we all thought they were always on PS only. Evene if you dimiss those, theres still more of them
Yes they were. LBP3 was on PS3, Left Behind was on PS3, Tearaway was a port from an old Vita game.

Last edited:

Jakk

25 million was always going to be a steep goal, but they still did great.

And, by the way, THIS is why "Sony needs competition by Xbox" is not a valid argument. They will aways be competing with QoQ internal growth targets. They didn't meet expectations this quarter and will make improvements so they can next quarter. They don't need external competition for that.
You can't be serious. Competition is definitely good for the consumers. As one of them, I care much more about the value they offer in products and services than their internal growth targets.

Kokoloko85

And games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West aren't launch titles on PC either. You can't have your cake and eat it too with these arguments. Even Returnal took quite a long time to come to PC and wasn't on PS4.
Im comparing for the time. Theres no cake, its just simple. PS4 exclusives Vs PS5 exclusives, time by time comparison. By 2024 vs 2017

Spiderman Miles Morales and Horizon 2 were cross gen, like GT7 and God of War Ragnarok. The games I listed were only released on PS4….not cross gen or PC.
Those games were exclusive to PS4. There wasnt even an idea that PS games would go to PC. Returnal came to PC in less than 2 years.

Who cares if these games are on PC?
Im just stating true exclusives to a platform

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom