• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametap is the best value in gaming right now. So why aren't you on it?

Danj

Lee N said:
7eUlvJ.jpg

Yeah, same problem here in the UK. Someone suggested www.trygames.com which appears to be accessible here, maybe you could see if that works for you?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
meh

Amount of games available to Canada are far less than the amount available to the US, as people before me said, Subscription services suck, and I would rather have a game to keep and play it whenever I want rather than basically renting it and plying it only when I'm connected to the internet.

I would be all over this, but when I try to run Gametap a 3 inch by 3 inch window opens up and turns black or white. I can't maximize the window and have no idea what's going on.

I downloaded it last week for the 99 cents for a month so this topic reminded me to call them up and cancel. Thanks.

Javaman

Ugh. I paid like $40 for Disciples and Jagged Alliance on Steam, and now they are effectively free on Game tap. I can't believe the selection of games. Interstate 76? Freespace 1 and 2? Xcom? There's a great selection of education titles for my little guy too. It's practically a steal.

2DMention

Banned
most of the games are PC games and I own a mac and am too lazy to fuss with bootcamp.

Most of the games I can get roms of for free and have them permently on my HDD.

Brofist

2DMention said:
most of the games are PC games and I own a mac and am too lazy to fuss with bootcamp.

Most of the games I can get roms of for free and have them permently on my HDD.

pirate-hat.jpg

bill0527

Why aren't most people using it?

Simple.

/cue pirate.jpg

edit: oh wait... I see someone has beaten me to it 2 posts above.

The library can't be beat but I hate playing games on my PC. I just don't have a nice set-up and I prefer playing on my plasma in the living room. It's all about aesthetic and comfort, two things a PC-gaming experience has never offered me.

seat

My PC hardware is simply too weak to take full advantage of this service, and I don't have the monies to do a suitable upgrade.

Seth C

I already own all the console games I would ever want to play on GameTap...no need to also pay to rent them, only to be stuck playing them at my computer.

I don't subscribe to Gametap because of the model-I'd rather pay $2-$3 per oldie that I actually want (or $10 for a new Sam and Max episode) rather than for a full subscription that you STILL can't cancel online without having to deal with an annoying phone call. Bleh.

The other big reason I don't like it is the DRM. It's fine for the console stuff, but really hurts some of the PC games they have there. Jagged Alliance 2 and Freespace 2, for example, have great mod scenes but if you go with the GameTap version you won't be able to use them, by my understanding.

ethelred

I'm not a big fan of playing games on my computer; I prefer gaming on consoles. So, yeah, I guess Borys is right -- oh well, just how it is.

I'm also not a big fan of the subscription-based rental approach. I think VC games are a bit too expensive on each level, but I'd still rather buy an emulated game that is on my machine and that I own. I already own (in cart form) or have played a lot of the games I'm interested in through these retro services, so while I can come up with lots of reasons why it's worth it for me to own emulated copies, I can't at all justify renting them for play on my PC.

I think it's a great service, and it is an excellent value, but it's just not for me.

nasero

I've tried GameTap before, but I just can't seem to get into it, for whatever reason. It has a decent selection but it just doesn't pull me in.

Mr Jared

GameTap is awesome beyond belief. The way I look at my subscription, I'm paying $10 bucks a month for Myst, and it just so happens to come with 800+ games for free.

My girlfriend subscribed as well, so we spend a lot of time playing random stuff like Bubble Bobble and Pong between games of Myst.

Pooooooong.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
VALIS said:
Oh man. I hope people from Gametap don't read this thread. :( People would rather pay per game than have an "all you can eat" subscription service? For the love of Xenu why? Nothing is more friendly to the consumer than an "all you can eat" deal, provided it's low priced, which this certainly is.

For instance, Homeworld 2 still costs about $40 new in stores if I remember, but here it's part of the $6.99-$9.99 monthly package. I posted a link in another thread to where you can buy Worms 2 and Worms Armegeddon online. The former was $15 and the latter $20. But here you play them for $9.99 or less a month, along with Homeworld 2 and the 840 other games. Silent Hill 3, how much you think they'd charge for that? Far Cry? Civ 3? Myst Online? Crazy Taxi? Grandia II? Deus Ex? $10 a piece minimum, I bet.

You're getting all these for under $10 a month, but you'd rather pay $10 or more for each of them? Wow. Yeah, I really can't say I understand that perspective.
Take a guess at why I don't use Gametap.

Your price comparison doesn't make sense. You're comparing a MONTHLY FEE to a one time only expenditure, yet acting like the monthly fee is a one time deal.

How about this? To get any one of those games you mentioned for one year at retail costs $20, and I get to keep it for life. To get that game on Gametap for one year ONLY at the price you're talking about is $120. AND you don't get to keep the game when you don't feel like paying anymore, which isn't the case with just buying the thing.

Why would I pay out the ass for a service with tons of games I don't want to play, just for a couple?

MetatronM said:
Take a guess at why I don't use Gametap.

Your price comparison doesn't make sense. You're comparing a MONTHLY FEE to a one time only expenditure, yet acting like the monthly fee is a one time deal.

How about this? To get any one of those games you mentioned for one year at retail costs $20. To get that game on Gametap for one year at the price you're talking about is $120. AND you don't get to keep the game when you don't feel like paying anymore, which isn't the case with just buying the thing.

Why would I pay out the ass for a service with tons of games I don't want to play, just for a couple?

Since when is $10/month out the ass? A pack of cigarettes will put you back $7 here in Chicago.

maxmars

Not available in my country

and

for my operating system. I'm too lazy to install windows to play bubble bobble.

ethelred

Shamrock7r said:
what if I don't smoke cigarettes?

Then that's 200$ a month you could be using to buy yourself 20 GameTap subscriptions. Why haven't you jumped on this awesome value yet?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Because people with $600 video cards know what abandonware and bittorrent are?

On a serious note, I have more modern, complex games than I have time to play, I don't need to add old, mostly simple games(with some notable exceptions, admittedly)to the list.

Jiggy

-Prefer to own things and not risk the company ever going out of business and so forth
-With subscription-based services, there ends up being some point at which the benefit from the number of games I'd want to play would be exceeded or outweighed by the cost of paying every month
-Would rather play on a TV since I stare at a computer monitor enough anyway

Reikon

plagiarize said:
because i hated the interface

That's the main reason why I don't subscribe. I also have a big enough backlog that I don't need all the games it offers right now.

Nester

I got it, downloaded Chu Chu Rocket, loaded up the game and saw that Network play was greyed out. :(

Other then that, I love the service. Almost makes me wish the Phantom had come out with a similar setup so I could play all these games from the comfort of my couch on my TV.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SpeedRazor said:
Almost makes me wish the Phantom had come out with a similar setup so I could play all these games from the comfort of my couch on my TV.

You can, if you really want to.

Nester

Woo-Fu said:
You can, if you really want to.

Yes, I suppose I could hook my PC up to my TV via DVI to HDMI cable, and I have done that for playing PSU online. I just like keeping my PC where it is and the games machines in the living room.

Plus I kinda liked that lap board setup they had going.

VALIS

DJ Brannon said:
When are they going to throw up some Neo-Geo love?

For that, I'm there!

stunnedou4.jpg

I guess you overlooked the fifty-nine Neo Geo games? And the section of games called, ahem, Neo Geo? Heh.

vdo

I'm thinking I would prefer a console version over this because:

I only would want a few of the games listed there. And I don't always play them - I play them in spurts - so instead of a subscription I would rather buy and have it be my own, but even that wouldn't satisfy me on a PC because:

I think on a console it would be easier to make sure that I still had them years from now. Right now I have a copy of Sega's Master System PenguinLand game that plugs into an SMS Genesis adapter that I had to rig to be able to plug into the second revision of Genesis so I can play that game. Kind of a pain just to play that game, but the fact is that for sure I have the game when I want it. During the number of times I have changed PCs over the years, I would have had to transfer the game plus make sure that the emulator had worked as software was upgraded - just more to manage. I know there are games I downloaded from other places that I no longer have because I forgot the details of how they were activated and couldn't transfer them.

I would much rather have Sega release the game on something like PSN so that I would no longer have to lug my Genesis out (HD graphic upgrade if you're listening Sega!) and know that for the life of the console, which does not change so much like a PC, it will be available (and be able to play connected to my TV and keep all my games together rather than playing on a PC monitor or hooking the PC to the TV to play the game and having a separate library of games on the PC in addition to the downloaded ones on the console)

Not available in my country and I don't like subscription based services. I am eternally grateful to Gametap though for bankrolling the new Sam and Max Episodes (which I bought directly from Telltale).

White Man

I started playing the new Sam & Max episodes. I'm only on the first one, but so far this is pretty great. Do they maintain this level of quality? How long is each episode, and how many are there going to be in the end?

Tain

I tried it when it came out and it blew.

I tried it when Sam and Max Episode 1 came out and it was fantastic. Beats the living shit out of XBLA, VC, and PSN. I really wish the console services would have a subscription pay model, by the way.

Mr Jared

White Man said:
I started playing the new Sam & Max episodes. I'm only on the first one, but so far this is pretty great. Do they maintain this level of quality? How long is each episode, and how many are there going to be in the end?

Sam & Max? They really do get better as they go on. Gameplay wise, they largely stay the same, but the writing gets a whole lot better. There are going to be six episodes this season and according to Dave Grossman-

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ov0_wiTMU-s

Season 2 is in the works.

Oh, and the length of the episodes really fluctuates. The first two episodes are about 2-3 hours long, while episode three is a little over an hour long. It seems as though they try and find the actual sweet spot each month, so I'm going to assume that they'll come with a more standardish time with the next season.

Paying 5-10 bucks per title limits my selection of what's available to me when I turn on my Wii which ensures that I actually play them for more than 5 minutes. Thus I enjoy the games more. Sounds retarded, I know. Overwhelming amount of games at your fingertips turns you into someone that knows the first level of everything but nothing more all too easy.

Subscriptions make me feel bad if I'm not using them every month so I tend to avoid them.

Whilst this seems a little irrational, in practice, its exactly how I operate. When I was a kid I had a chipped PS1 and plenty of copied games, yet I hardly ever beat a game because I'd start a new one every week. There's just a bigger psychological incentive when you've payed for an individula game, and a lot of the time I won't really get into a game until months, or even years, after I purchase it.

To go along with that I've got a list of ther reasons why this service wouldn't work for me, and why I am instead supporting the virtual console:

I live in the UK, no Gametap here even though there's no logical reason where a download service has to obey country borders.

Controls and configuration are never perfect on the PC, with the VC I have perfect controls for all these classics that mimick their home systems insanely well (with a wiimote and classic controller).

I can hook up the Wii to any TV I want, its tiny and can be carried between Uni and home, and from TV to TV really easy. Unlike a laptop, I can output the picture to any TV with ease and it'll look great on every single one.

I want to support individual developers. All these roms can be easily pirated on the PC, I can possibly even get a better experience than Gametap by going this route. So what is the incentive to use this service if I can't guarantee that the developers that I want to give my hard earned to, won't get my cash?

Multiplayer is infinitely easier to arrange and just flat out more fun with a console. I don't have to worry about buying different pads, getting drivers and configuring them for each game with a console.

Interface. With the Wii I can jump into a game within 10 seconds flat and the whole thing is just seamless, that's just not possible on a PC, especially if I want to hook it up to a TV.

I think that covers most things, and I'm sure many others have similar complaints/issues with this sort of service.

----

Banned
I'm very tempted by Gametap and the honest to god truth is that if it was available on consoles I would probably have it already. It is an amazing value, I still don't understand how they could possibly be making any money off of this service.

The ideal solution would be to offer to purchase the games individually and own them or to subscribe monthly and "rent" the games like you can do with music download services.

PC Gaijin

VALIS said:
For instance, Homeworld 2 still costs about $40 new in stores if I remember, but here it's part of the $6.99-$9.99 monthly package. I posted a link in another thread to where you can buy Worms 2 and Worms Armegeddon online. The former was $15 and the latter $20. But here you play them for $9.99 or less a month, along with Homeworld 2 and the 840 other games. Silent Hill 3, how much you think they'd charge for that? Far Cry? Civ 3? Myst Online? Crazy Taxi? Grandia II? Deus Ex? $10 a piece minimum, I bet.

I used to see Homeworld 2 at Frys all the time for $10 (yes, it was Homeworld 2, not the first one). Civilization 3? I bought it for under $5 at Microcenter (that was like me robbing Firaxis considering the hundreds of hours of play that I got out of Civ 3). Deus Ex? The original is available in a 4-pack of games that I've seen on sale for $10. Invisible War was available at Microcenter and other places for under $5.

I like the idea of subscription services for console games. The reason? Gameplay is usually so limited on console games that it's cheaper for me to rent, play, and never touch again than buy. PC games? I don't play nearly as many PC games as I do console/handheld, but I get far more playtime out of an individual PC game due to the nature of the types of PC games I enjoy (turn-based strategy, sims, RPGs, tycoon/god games, etc.) and mods. Out of Gametap's selection of PC games, there's only about 2 dozen or so that I'd actually play and I already own them anyway. Plus, the last time I tried Gametap, their interface sucked ass and you couldn't use mods or patch the games (and some of their games used old patches). Plus performance through their interface was a dog on my system.

How is paying like $50 per month to play old games a deal:lol :lol :lol

M.A.M.E = FREE
All other emulators = FREE

I just don't get some people:lol

Top Bottom