• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespy PDZ review

Mifune

Mehmber
You know what sucks? I can't get broadband at my apartment. And I live in fucking Los Angeles!!

Splitscreen co-op all the way!

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob said:
PD0 haters have lost. Let them go down in a fizzle of glory. It is funny to see their final gasp of knee jerk reaction. :D
The question is... why on earth keep coming into these threads and spending hours trying to convince everyone of this warped view? What I'm saying is, if I don't like a game, I move on and talk about something else that interests me. I don't linger on after the fact trying to tell everyone that is playing it, that it sucks based off some review snippets I read (which btw... rated the game high). It would be one thing to have played the game and come discuss what I didn't like about it and why I thought it was overrated... but to base everything off of a few negative comments from a review on a game I haven't even played yet. I mean, holy... :lol

And I think we all know who I'm talking about here.

dorio

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yup. PD0 may have the best co-op mode ever included in a FPS. Actually, when factoring the Live component, it does by a country mile. :D
Even better than you know who?

Mrbob

dorio said:
Even better than you know who?

Well, I'll have to finish the game first offline to know for sure. Early impressions I'm definitely leaning towards PD0 being the ultimate co-op experience. Online is a sealed deal since you can't play online co-op in Halo 2. In my online co-op experiences the game has run as smooth as single player with no lagging at all. I do like the fact that co-op in PD0 doesn't always consist of a carbon copy of yourself fighting along. Some levels each person has a distinct path to travel where they intertwine. Rare put some great thought into the co-op mechanics for PD0. It really seems like this game is better suited to play with two people together more than any other FPS before, both offline and online.

quetz67

Banned
shpankey said:
The question is... why on earth keep coming into these threads and spending hours trying to convince everyone of this warped view? What I'm saying is, if I don't like a game, I move on and talk about something else that interests me. I don't linger on after the fact trying to tell everyone that is playing it, that it sucks based off some review snippets I read (which btw... rated the game high). It would be one thing to have played the game and come discuss what I didn't like about it and why I thought it was overrated... but to base everything off of a few negative comments from a review on a game I haven't even played yet. I mean, holy... :lol

And I think we all know who I'm talking about here.
I might be trolling because I have too much time on my hands over the day right now, just for fun. And sure I am 'trolling' topics about games I am interested in like the 2 Rare games.

Thats mostly because I base my decision to get or not to get an xbox 360 on these both games (and yes I would then probably sell it again at PS3 launch).

I base my decsion on reviews, yes, Kameo's are quite average and while PDZ's are a little better they are not close as good as Goldeneye's or PD's. You tell me I should eat crow because the reviews are pretty good, but when I read the reviews and read about mediocre single player (which is all that I am interested in) I should ignore that.

And when reading about the graphics I should believe they are great when I have seen lots of movies that in my eyes prove the opposite. Yes, there are lots of effect and yes it looks sharp and defined on HDTV. But I play sharp looking games for years on PC and I think the sharpness even more shows the low poly geometry. I just dont think slapping huge textures and parallax mappping on a low poly world make games look good. Actually I think, while some levels look OK, some look butt ugly, which is of course my opinion.

I am spoiled by the Killzone 2 trailer, because I believe thats what next gen games should look like (and I am sure they will on all 3 three systems in the near future). And whoever does not see the difference between that and PDZ must be blind. The difference in detail, animation and other aspects is mindblowing. With that in mind as well as the excellent graphics of PGR3 I cant understand a 9 for graphics, saying there is only about 10% left for improvement.

CamHostage

urk said:
Well, if what Rare has been saying is true, PD0 was actually sent to press before it was even certified. It's no wonder final copies are taking longer than normal to get out into reviewer's hands.

Even so, you have a handful of reviews and quite a number of impressions here to sort through.

By sent to press, you mean sent to the printing, not sent to the media -- nobody got to play this game in time for reviews (except Edge, somehow). MS didn't even send out reviewables. As far as I know, most media outlets went and bought the game, and nobody got a debug burn.

shpankey

not an idiot
quetz67 said:
I might be trolling because I have too much time on my hands over the day right now, just for fun. And sure I am 'trolling' topics about games I am interested in like the 2 Rare games.

Thats mostly because I base my decision to get or not to get an xbox 360 on these both games (and yes I would then probably sell it again at PS3 launch).

I base my decsion on reviews, yes, Kameo's are quite average and while PDZ's are a little better they are not close as good as Goldeneye's or PD's. You tell me I should eat crow because the reviews are pretty good, but when I read the reviews and read about mediocre single player (which is all that I am interested in) I should ignore that.

And when reading about the graphics I should believe they are great when I have seen lots of movies that in my eyes prove the opposite. Yes, there are lots of effect and yes it looks sharp and defined on HDTV. But I play sharp looking games for years on PC and I think the sharpness even more shows the low poly geometry. I just dont think slapping huge textures and parallax mappping on a low poly world make games look good. Actually I think, while some levels look OK, some look butt ugly, which is of course my opinion.

I am spoiled by the Killzone 2 trailer, because I believe thats what next gen games should look like (and I am sure they will on all 3 three systems in the near future). And whoever does not see the difference between that and PDZ must be blind. The difference in detail, animation and other aspects is mindblowing. With that in mind as well as the excellent graphics of PGR3 I cant understand a 9 for graphics, saying there is only about 10% left for improvement.
For the record, I never said you were "trolling" or that you should "eat crow". You have me confused with someone else apparently. I just am saying that if you feel that strongly against the game, move on. Either that or play the game and come back and tell us what you think, from firsthand experience. You may just be surprised... I've had that happen to me lots of times, where from previews/reviews/videos/screenshots I went into a game expecting not to like it and for some reason, came out loving it. But if you still end up feeling the same way, then come tell us about it and why. Then at least I can respect your viewpoint a lot more (maybe not agree with it, but respect it).

But personally, if I hate a game, I don't think I would spend ALL of my time at GAF railing on it. Sure, I'd let my opinion be known and would defend it, and that's cool. But pretty much every person on GAF right now KNOWS quetz67's stance on PD0. Trust me, we all do... ALL of us. ;)

quetz67

Banned
shpankey said:
For the record, I never said you were "trolling" or that you should "eat crow". You have me confused with someone else apparently. I just am saying that if you feel that strongly against the game, move on. Either that or play the game and come back and tell us what you think, from firsthand experience. You may just be surprised... I've had that happen to me lots of times, where from previews/reviews/videos/screenshots I went into a game expecting not to like it and for some reason, came out loving it.

But if I do hate a game, I don't think I would spend ALL of my time at GAF railing on it. Sure, I'd let my opinion be known and would defend it, and that's cool. But pretty much every person on GAF right now KNOWS quetz67's stance on PD0. Trust me, we all do... ALL of us. ;)
But lately the game isnt my problem, my problems are the reviews (and of course always being accused trolling).

I think it is a deadly sin rushing out a game that could have been perfect with a little more time and care. But this will get common if companies that do it get rewarded with great scores.

3rdman

quetz67 said:

Dude, quit gaming. Pissing and moaning about a games graphics and then comapring it to a CG trailer is like pissing in the wind and wondering why you're getting wet.

Again, for emphasis, you're comaparing a CG trailer to a real game. No shit that it doesn't compare. Should the reviewer not take into account the fact that the game had its roots in the previous genertion of hardware?

Also, there is also clearly more than "10% left for improvement" but that is not what is always implied by a games graphics rating. Clipping, AA, and a host of other factors contribute to the score as should the fact that the game was born on the Gamecube!

quetz67 said:
I am spoiled by the Killzone 2 trailer, because I believe thats what next gen games should look like

:lol You already confessed to trolling (which has crapped up a lot of 360 threads). Don't tell me you are going to try to say you are not a Sony fanboy?

Top Bottom