• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games using "micro-stats" and pointless RPG-systems to "hook you"

Bragr

Banned
So I saw this tweet from John Linneman about micro-stats. Where games introduce modifiers to weapons and items to make the game feel like an RPG, but the stats are so small and meaningless that you barely notice them.

Like:
2% poison resistance
4% extra damage to flying enemies
3% adrenaline build-up

It's an attempt to take advantage of the addicting nature of role-playing games, but the games are not balanced and built like an RPG, so they reduce the stats to absurdly tiny metrics so it doesn't affect the game balance.

Do you like these systems? do you think it adds anything to the game or is it just cumbersome clutter?

Three

Those values are tweaked to not break the game but provide an advantage. Usually those stats stack so you have to build a "poison resistant" build.

GymWolf

Oh no, rpg and action rpgs have stats so you can make different builds since....forever, the absolute madness...

Here is an idea, don't buy anything with rpg in the genre if you don't wanna see stats.

These people should just continue with frame counting and nothing else.

Last edited:

Tsaki

It depends on the game I guess, but I definitely consider Bloodborne an RPG and the gems that slotted in the weapons had such small increases for the majority of my playthrough. When I started playing the Chalice Dungeons though, the combinations of gems absolutely gave me noticeable differences in damage.
And I have to say it but "10% chance to cause bleeding" seems extremely good. If the monster has a good amount of health you are guaranteed to make it bleed.

winjer

Gold Member
There are games, like RPGs and looter shooters, where this stuff works well.
But in a lot of games, it's just pointless game mechanics to pretend it's a deeper game.

What I really dislike are games that have new weapons or upgrades, that only give 1 or 2 % higher stat.
So the player is grinding for almost nothing.

Guilty_AI

Yeah i hate those in most games, pre-defined weapons with clear advantages/disadvantages tend to be better.

In some cases they work however, usually in actual RPGs that have a better idea of what they're doing.
In DOS2 for example there are tons of equipment that increase some stat by 1-2 points, sometimes even 3-4, and since even 1 point is a lot in that game it can make a significant difference, or even let you use skills you previously couldn't. I often found myself holding on to inferior equipment just because of some bonus stat it gave me or an extra skill.

Last edited:

skyfall

Yes, agreed, just cumbersome clutter.

Also, they usually have to make a menu system and ui for that the extra nonsense witch just makes even more ui clutter than we already have. Such an annoying trend.

I don't mind it as long as there aren't too many stats to keep track off.

Like if you only have one stat per weapon or armor. This definitely does not belong in certain genres like hack n slash games however.

shaddam

While playing forbidden west i used to read the stats, but after I bought a cool looking armor I dont give a shit about stats anymore. Still using it halfway trough burning shores

Fuz

Banned
I don't generally like the idea of weapons or armors that have bonuses that have nothing to do with them, realistically.
The less bloated stats, the better.

Guilty_AI

It seems to me like the dude simply does not like RPGs
Nah, he has a point, good RPGs don't need to bloat stats like that. Less stats with observable consequences - even with a 1 point difference - are always better.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
In God of War they seem especially useless.
So much so I just ignored them.....so I guess they dont bother me cuz I dont pay attention to them.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If it's optional you can ignore it or use it = Everyone is happy. But if it's not there, obviously no one can use it. If you feel like your life is crumbling because of a minor weapon's stat, perhaps it's time for an epicrisis instead.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

i can guess what kind of game he usually play lol

this kind of stuff is something for those who like being meta, with gameplay build around that in mind. i agree that it is worst if it was put thoughtlessly but depend on how the devs design the whole things, it could either broke the game, or give satisfying freedom of build for players.

Three

In God of War they seem especially useless.
So much so I just ignored them.....so I guess they dont bother me cuz I dont pay attention to them.
In God of War I only cared when I played on GMGOW difficulty in NG+. Otherwise I was just ploughing through on normal difficulty without worrying about my stats. The stats make a difference in GMGOW though. I had a particular build for Mist Resistance that I always had to use in Niflheim. Also had to use the Zues armour set (minus the one she gives you) for Sigrun.

mopspear

I think if you can't feel an upgrade, there's not much point to it. Make upgrades chunkier (bigger and less often) so you can feel them, and then feel good that it happened.

Chicken Soup GIF

kubricks

It depends.
In some games if you min max these numbers and play on the hardest difficulty then suddenly it all makes sense, while in normal or easy they are essentially meaningless numbers.
Isn't it good to have choice? If you don't care then these details can be left alone, but if you play on very hard difficulty and dig deep there are a lot of fun to be had.

Funny they have The Witcher 3 sword in the tweeter post. Those critical hit chance increase stats combined with max toxicity and decoctions makes Geralt almost unkillable in the hardest difficulty.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
They can be the difference of failure or success. That said, I've never been a fan of too low numbers myself.

GymWolf

It depends.
In some games if you min max these numbers and play on the hardest difficulty then suddenly it all makes sense, while in normal or easy they are essentially meaningless numbers.
Isn't it good to have choice? If you don't care then these details can be left alone, but if you play on very hard difficulty and dig deep there are a lot of fun to be had.

Funny they have The Witcher 3 sword in the tweeter post. Those critical hit chance increase stats combined with max toxicity and decoctions makes Geralt almost unkillable in the hardest difficulty.
din din din din

StereoVsn

I think the point is that it's better to have more meaningful upgrades less often vs constantly looking at this shit for meager increases. The latter wastes time and clutters your inventory/UI.

bbeach123

I hate the generic +damage, resist , armor , + crit change, + damage to stuff .

In the last AC trilogy I dont even bother equip items that make me 5% stronger .

But in game like monster hunter I could spend like 20 hours farming for a build thats make me mathematically 4% stronger than last build .

Interesting stats > generic shits .

Generic stats : +6% bonus damage .
Interesting stats : +2% bonus damage everytime you hit , cap at 10% . Reset after 5 seconds not hitting .
Or +20% bonus damage after 5 seconds not hitting .

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I love RPG elements in everything. But yeah it’s stupid when you have lots of meaningless stat modifiers that make no perceivable difference.

Heck I remember Xenosaga Episode 2 felt like this. Most of the equipment and accessories had really tiny resistance bonuses and stuff. Like they couldn’t figure out how to balance the game for their retarded battle system so they made equipment nearly meaningless.

But the good thing about RPGs is the grind to get gear with better stats so you can create builds around those stats. I can understand complaining when a game has an abundance of useless stats to pad the grind, but the beauty of builds and gear sets in RPGs is trying to get the perfect gear for your desired build.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Fub_9O1WIAIKMBE

Did a fucking drunk AI make this? Why the fuck are there 10 different fonts and nothing is aligned lmfao?

Anyway, depends on the game. They have been exaggerating lately with shitty rpg stats so I kinda agree. Corporations have lost creativity after all, so they have to engage the player in other ways. Age of useless rpg stats, remakes is upon us. Remember to consume and enjoy everything like that one gaf guy who sniffs Disney's ass every day, he knows who he is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom