• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that clicked with you after a 2nd chance

Hey GAF, was wondering if you wrote off a game in the past and then gave it another try and then it clicked with you becoming one of your favorites. For me one of those games is Yoshi's Crafted World, really dig the 2d/3d aiming combined along with the psuedo 3d segments peppered into the mostly 2.5d gameplay. I gave this game another chance because I remembered it's really good demo that demonstrated the 2d 3d hybrid gameplay and wanted more of that gameplay.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I tried this game in the past and didn't click so far for me. How did it click for you?
Not him, but my initial experience was with the demo, which I didn't "get". To be thrown into it didn't quite work, and the mechanics not being explained (climbing enemies and all that good stuff) made things feel a bit messy.

I eventually took a chance on the Dark Arisen edition when that released because of all the good things people said and a few videos, and starting the game from the beginning is so much better for understanding the game. You still start with the same part as the demo, but after that everything builds from 0 so you can appreciate everything, not to mention picking a class.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The first Last of Us. I didn't care that much for it on PS3. But once the Remastered version came out and I played it on Survival mode, all of the sudden I understood the game and it became a masterpiece in every way.

I dont plan on revisiting part 2.

xrnzaaas

Onrush. First try was a big fail, especially with the game's servers being unstable. It clicked for me after spending 2-3 hours with the trial version a couple of weeks later. I bet a lot of people gave up on this game early on and honestly I would've done the same if I didn't have faith in the studio behind this project.

Last edited:
For me it is Days Gone. Not only because of the (for me) disjointed narrative but also because of the gimped visuals after a few patches. I legit stopped playing after they reduced lod draw distance to like one inch. Totally put me off. Now on ps5 I have to admit it's one of my favorite open world games off all times.

Doom 2016, couldn't get on with the melee on the right stick and couldn't see an option to change it, tried again late last year and saw there was an option to move it, game was awesome after that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Dark Souls. And it clicked for good.
same here :)

I remember buying it on Steam and I got to Firelink. I tried going through the graveyard because I thought that was the only way to go. My ass got kicked by these skeledudes so hard I ragequit and put in a refund request. I kept thinking about the game and it was annoying me. Luckily I managed to cancel the refund request and went back to it. Finally noticed the stairs going UP towards Undead Burg and that was it...

it was my own stupid fault for not noticing the stairs. i don't know how i didn't see them. The game fucked me up but I fell in love with it and went on to Dark Souls 2, 3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. if i had got that refund then i probably wouldn't have played the game again and played these amazing games.

Most recent example I can think of is Horizon. I started the game when it released, wasn’t feeling it after 3-4 hours, put it down and returned 6 months later (post BotW) to discover what else it had in store and it turned into one of my favorite games of the generation.

Griffon

Demon's Souls didn't really click when I tried it. I quickly gave it back to the friend who lent it to me.

A few year later I bought Dark Souls (almost on a whim), and oh boy did it click.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I tried this game in the past and didn't click so far for me. How did it click for you?
Not sure what TintoConCasera TintoConCasera 's experience with the game was but mine was like that:

From the first trailers i had seen i didn't liked the game at all. At first look and judging only by the trailers i thought it was just another try of a Japanese developer to cater to Western gamers using generic monsters with a douche-looking main character (the Arisen you start with when you start the game).
But then i played the demo and got REALLY excited for the game.
Then i played the game (day 1 on PS3) and although i liked it it also felt a bit boring. But somehow and strangely i wanted to play more of it because i knew the game had much more to offer and i wanted to experiment with the stuff i had from the first playthrough and with the abilities i already had of each vocation. I also felt that the Pawn system was much more deeper than it first met the eye so i bought the official strategy guide and decided to get "deeper" into the game on my second playthrough. And that's where everything clicked to the point that i discovered a game with such a depth in combat and Pawn management/training that was incredible.Then slowly i also started to appreciate other aspects of the game more and more than the feeling of exploring its world at night with your companion while deliberately having no oil for their lamps. It was something very atmospheric to move and exploring in the night in very dark forests.

Then i started watching other people's video and discovered even more hidden layers regarding the combat,Pawns and even the lore that the game had and that made me appreciate it even more. I also loved the expansion and it offered a much needed challenge for people who had already beaten the main game.

To this point it's easily the game i have replayed the most and i'm still discovering things i didn't knew about in its mysterious world. That is also thanks to an awesome and still active community that still provides videos and content about the game like this recent one for example:

Last edited:
Doom Eternal

I played it and felt it was forcing me to play a certain way. I was also running out of ammo in the first area. I wasn't a fan.

So I slept on it.

The next day I started over and by the time I got through the first level I realized what was going on. The first stage is like a tutorial stage used to show the new features of the weapons that exist to more quickly dispatch the insane number of enemies that flood in during big fights. After a few weapon upgrads I found I no longer HAD to use the correct weapon, but it sure made things more fun flying around the maps swapping weapons as I went. The ammo thing took care of itself after I got gud.

It was easily one of my favorite games last year, maybe my favorite overall.

Last edited:
Definitely Dark Souls. I tried it at some point and couldn't make it past the opening area. I went online and wrote some rant against the game and the players.

Then months later I picked it up, slowly took my time, and when I beat that first boss, it was over, I was hooked.

Dwarf Fortress.
Kidding. I'm at one attempt a year and it hasn't clicked yet. I really want to love that game.

La-Mulana. The first hour or so is tedious and I gave up early on my first run but later I gave it another try and once I've got into the ruins, it clicked for good.

DrAspirino

Banned
Halo saga.

Never cared for it until a friend of mine kind of forced me to play it. I barely finished the first game, but at the middle of Halo 2, it clicked me and now it's the only thing I'm playing (through the Master Cheif collection). I just hope to finish it soon.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Donkey Konga

Played once and "yeah, it's Guitar Hero, but lame". Then I played the Donkey Konga 2 and "it's not that bad". But it's easy as hell

Banjo64

cumsessed
Demon’s Souls on PS3. I’d heard all about it, tried it. Gave up after an hour. Re-downloaded when I had a week of work. Got the platinum, never looked back. From are the GOAT. Glad I got gud.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I always start games and they dont click and usually click on teh second time.

But the best example I can think of is Hollow Knight.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think it was a matter of expectations. The first time I played it I was much into Souls games, and I wanted something very challenging, which this game really isn't until the late game.

The second time I tried it I did because I wanted a comfy adventure game, with exploration and cool bosses but not something too challenging. That time I loved the game.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Red Dead Redemption 2. The intro was like walking in glue to me, got bored. Left it for months before picking it up again, played through it and loved pretty much every minute (well.., that is except the odd way missions sometimes abruptly ends because of bizarrely narrow fail margins..).

Airola

Ocarina of Time.

Didn't like it at all when it was released.
8-10 years forwards I gave it another chance and didn't really like it then either at first but then it clicked with me and I ended up liking it a lot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda Breath of the Wild to an extent. I loved the game, but the breaking of weapons bothered the hell out of me and I kind of stopped playing after a dozen or so hours in my first try. I came back a few months later and really just fell in love with the game after accepting the weapons system for what it is. Went and did everything in the game except for the Korok poop.

bbeach123

I gave monster hunter like 3 chance with total 60 hours+ before it clicked ... (mh something on psp/ mh3u / mh4u)
Shit man I tried so hard to like this game .

Total war shogun 1, total war rome ,shogun 2 ,total war attila - total 20 hours .
Total warhammer 1 -300h+ , total warhammer 2 - 200h+ . Thanks god I didnt gave up .

Last edited:
Zelda Breath of the Wild to an extent. I loved the game, but the breaking of weapons bothered the hell out of me and I kind of stopped playing after a dozen or so hours in my first try. I came back a few months later and really just fell in love with the game after accepting the weapons system for what it is. Went and did everything in the game except for the Korok poop.
Seeing the replies including this one, I think Dark Souls, BoTW, Dragon's Dogma, and Monster Hunter are some nice candidates to give another chance

Top Bottom