• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that are far from perfect that you really enjoyed

final-fantasy-xv-button-2016jpg-19b146.jpg

I was thinking about the fact that even if i could see so many flaws in a game like Final Fantasy XV, i really enjoyed the entire experience from going through all the things released about that world / characters: anime, movie, the game (with all the updates released, not the day one version), all DLCs with all characters, etc.

You can still feel a much bigger game trying to show up, but it simply fails at doing so. Going through cities that are 100% made...but with plenty of places you never visit was frustrating...the story is fragmented and missing a lot of pieces. But still, in the end i ended up spending like 70 hours with it, and even got the Platinum, lol. There's something about it i really enjoyed, from the road trips, to the team that's with us every step of the way, etc. The group is honestly great and by the end of the game i was attached to the characters tbh.

I'd much rather play this again than plenty of +90 metacritic games tbh.

What about you?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
all games i've played are far from perfect. Perfection is impossible, and the enemy of fun.

That being said Sonic Unleashed. It's a beautiful game and the daytime stages are still exhilarating fun 15 years later

Last edited:

violence

Duke Nukem Forever PC. Loading times are much better than console. Mouse and keyboard is better than controller. I had a good time.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Days Gone : uneven voice-acting/wrong VO direction with Deacon screaming...for no reason whatsoever in dialogues with other chars, some mediocre animations, a few bugs, some Ubisoft-itis but as a whole, i found it really nice and dare i say, even better than something like Ghost of Tsushima which feels empty and even more of a Ubisoft clone.

Cyberpunk 2077 (V2.0) : It's still buggy, it still feels like it's a cobbled together product, you can see the proverbial seams at every corner and yet, i'm enjoying it very much.

FFXV is also a candidate for the exact same reasons

Days Gone : uneven voice-acting/wrong VO direction with Deacon screaming...for no reason whatsoever in dialogues with other chars, some mediocre animations, a few bugs, some Ubisoft-itis but as a whole, i found it really nice and dare i say, even better than something like Ghost of Tsushima which feels empty and even more of a Ubisoft clone.

Cyberpunk 2077 (V2.0) : It's still buggy, it still feels like it's a cobbled together product, you can see the proverbial seams at every corner and yet, i'm enjoying it very much.

FFXV is also a candidate for the exact same reasons
Honestly 2 other great choices. Days Gone is another game i really liked back then.

PanzerCute

AA RPG, the thread.

Some of my favorite games of recent years are just that: low budget games with some janks but with a stellar identity and amazing creative choice, driven by people who actually want to do a great game and not suits who want to squeeze the latest trends.

I'm thinking of games like Vampyr, Greedfall or The Surge from the West, or Harvestella, Triangle Strategy or Soul Hackers 2 from Japan.

I'd trade any AAA(A) OW lite-RPG for one of these games.

Sacred 3
I have no idea how modern Diablo plays on PC or console, but Sacred 3 was what I expected the genre to be on console, basically a twin stick shooter. Grindy af for the platinum, but other than that very enjoyable.
Kane&Lynch
Pretty much the only bad guys in gaming that are not winning, while everything else has moronic stories with the baddies reminisce and whine about their past dumb decisions- mostly police and society ignoring or celebrating them for no understandable reason-, those two more or less just survive their adventure. Really liked that.
Hitman Contracts
Glitchy af and while the later games are much more polished, this was still fun to to get into the series.
Serious Sam Collection
Decent looking, kinda modern engine shooter with Space Invaders like gameplay. Very primitive but just blast everything is pure fun.
Vampire Bloodlines
One of the very few games were I ran in a game breaking questbug, and the final stuff felt rushed and unfinished, but it is easily making up its deficits with atmosphere.

Edit: also totally enjoyed Ryse mentioned below
Same with Alone in the Dark Inferno Edition, it has some rough edges but is fun
Also adding Remember Me which imho was not entirely perfect with the detective stuff being somewhat underutilised but overall a great game ignored by way to many people including me (played it years after release, it holds up to PS4 stuff easily)

Last edited:
RECORE - Poor frame rate and controls let the game down a lot but I love the blend of Metroid style gameplay with nice characters and great music.

Sonic Unleashed - The daytime sections were some of the best and the game had some wonderful art direction.

Ryse - Just felt like a massive big-budget Golden Axe style game.

AC Unity - Just walking around the game world was amazing and the sheer scope of the game was incredible.

Galleon - Loved the story, voice acting and art design, shame controls let the game down a little.

Gunvalkyrie - Such a shame you just couldn't double push in the direction you wanted to boast in. I loved the game and its bosses otherwise.

Bug Too - It was just too hard for its own good but loved how each level was a parody of big films but loved the graphics and humor.

Ninja Blade - I just loved the OTT nature of it all it was like some mad 1990's Hong Kong Ninja flick.

Recently only Robocop. HOT DAYUM what a hidden gem this is!!
My GOTY in the sea of sequels, rehashes, remasters and other filth.

Not current: Bulletstorm, Transformers Devastation, Vanquish, GunMetal, Enclave ehh....

Last edited:

Humdinger

Most of the games I've really enjoyed have been far from perfect. I've been thinking about this lately. Gaming media (including forums) puts almost all their emphasis on "5 star" experiences (or 9/10's). There are a lot of times when a 3 or 4 star game is more fun/enjoyable than a 5-star one.

I find the same to be true with books. There are many "classics," highly-acclaimed works of literature, that are undoubtedly excellent, but which I just don't find enjoyable. I would rather read a trashy western than most classics. The trashy novel might not elevate my spirit or enlighten me, but it also doesn't put me to sleep and feel like work. I think something similar obtains for videogames, too.

manfestival

One of my favorite games ever is Makai Kingdom. The game is basically in my eyes an objective like 7/10 but I just love it way more than like 99.9% of games that I have played.

Fbh

This year easily FFXVI.

As much as I complain about it, and I think there's plenty to complain about, ultimately I still enjoyed it.
The story falters towards the end but the first half is solid and overall it's still my favourite story in a mainline FF since like IX. The dialogue in particular was a step up for JRPG's in general
The combat is too easy and lacks depth but it's still fun, and flashy and I did like the big epic over the top boss battles, specially now that modern God of War has become very tame in this regard
The music is great
There's a comfy home base with nice acoustic guitar music (that's always a plus).

It has gone to replace FFXV as probably my favourite "barley 7/10" game.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
final-fantasy-xv-button-2016jpg-19b146.jpg

I was thinking about the fact that even if i could see so many flaws in a game like Final Fantasy XV, i really enjoyed the entire experience from going through all the things released about that world / characters: anime, movie, the game (with all the updates released, not the day one version), all DLCs with all characters, etc.

You can still feel a much bigger game trying to show up, but it simply fails at doing so. Going through cities that are 100% made...but with plenty of places you never visit was frustrating...the story is fragmented and missing a lot of pieces. But still, in the end i ended up spending like 70 hours with it, and even got the Platinum, lol. There's something about it i really enjoyed, from the road trips, to the team that's with us every step of the way, etc. The group is honestly great and by the end of the game i was attached to the characters tbh.

I'd much rather play this again than plenty of +90 metacritic games tbh.

What about you?
far from perfect cant quite discribe this turd of a game my friend ....

just played Sea of Stars .... I loved but the story speacially near the end was dogshit and rushed ,,..

I don’t understand, am I only supposed to like perfect games?
Considering everyone's obsession with games +90 on metacritic...yeah i guess.
This is about games that were always seen as mediocre or less than stellar by critics and many players.

Don't take the word "perfect" so literally like...it's not hard to realize nothing is perfect.

Fredrik

qMB3Pr6.jpg
Cfg9zkT.jpg

Starfield.

It’s far from perfect, every area could be done better. But I’m up at 200 hours now and just can’t stop playing. And I’ve avoided main quests on this 2nd playthrough and has literally been building and raided bases and space ships for like 100 hours now. It never ends. And I love it for that. I especially enjoy building ships and take those first steps inside the ship, it never gets old.

I'm playing Mafia 3 at the moment, and this game is a real hidden gem for me. I can understand critics, because the game is clearly broken, for example, you cannot start or finish certain missions (restarting the game and trying again helps most of the time). I feel that developers never finished this game even once, because you just cant ingore obvious problems this game has if you just play it. Despite its flaws, I still like mafia 3 simply because the world in this game is extremely detailed and beautiful, so playing this game is like being transported back to the 60s in a time capsule.

+Awesome soundtrack (only the GTA VC soundtrack can match it).
+An amazing story.
+Fun combat and stealth (enemy AI isnt good though, you can kill almost everyone and they still walk like nothing happened :p)
+Car driving in this game is very satisfying.

It took me many hours before I mastered car driving in this game, but once I did it it was a pure joy to drive in this game (with realistic driving settings). The correct use of the handbrake and brakes is key, and once you master it you can cut corners like in bullitt film (or Fast & Furious tokyo drift). I just wish the missions in this game were more varied (like in GTA games). Also, a good crafting mechanic and resource menagement would change this game completely, as it would give the player a motivation to explore this beautiful world and indoor locations. IMO the developers who created the Mafia 3 map / graphics have done a fantastic job, but the game director for some strange reason ruined their efforts by making this game so shallow. Mafia 3 had the potential to not only compete with GTA5, but to surpass it. It's still fun game, but not as good as it could be.

-Unacceptable game-breaking bugs.
-Repetitive "missions".
-Lack of good ideas to make player more invested into exploration.
-TAA in this game is just horrible, it makes everthing blurry.

"Reshade" helps a lot in this game. Not only does it help with 60Hz lock and input lag (you need to change the ForceDefaultRefreshRate line in reshade.ini to "1"), but it also fixes blurry image without destroying the game's color grading and artistic intent. I recommend to use CAS and lumasharpening filters at the same time, because only then you can get sharp edges without artificial look (ringing).

11.jpg

222.jpg

Mafia3-Definitive-Edition-2023-11-15-17-09-29-079.jpg

555.jpg

3333.jpg

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alone in the Dark: Inferno. Game is seriously a total gem, bugs and all. If anything the bugs make the game better cause that shit is hilarious at times.

More recently, The Foglands on PSVR2. Game has some relatively serious issues that will hopefully be fixed but once I came to grips certain things about the game, it fell into place and I found myself absolutely hooked.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Soul Calibur IV. There's plenty most dismiss the game for for a weapon-based fighting game. However, it was (still is the last Soul Calibur game I enjoyed playing). I've tried nearly every game from 5 onward and just don't feel it anymore.

Edit: The game didn't need the Star Wars characters and never used em. I stuck with the characters which you'd find all the way back to the OG on Dreamcast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom