• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games are too damn expensive in Australia

bitbydeath

This isn't right. Even if we were to factor in currency conversion from US to AUS then we should be looking at around $93 AUD for a standard edition.
Instead they're now bordering on insanity, i'm not sure who comes up with these ass pulled numbers but i'm out.
Gaming at release of a title isn't that important, i'll either wait for a 50%+ off sale or for Sony to fix these ludicrous prices.

7dsCdyu.png

How do other Australians feel about this?

ZehDon

Gold Member
USD$70 is roughly AUD$90 - so AUD$125.00 is just Sony price gouging for a new generation. But, didn't we all see this coming? When Sony announced its USD$10 price increase, I knew everyone else would get screwed with the conversion. Then Demon's Souls was AUD$125.00, I noped out. That's simply too much money for me to pick up games new on release. So, I'll wait and pickup games on sale, or get a second hand copy for cheap, later on. I feel sorry for the poor fools trapped with the PS5 DE, because their options are "Pay Sony's price" or "Don't ever play the fucking game".

Edgelord79

Gold Member
In Canada a PS5 game is $89.99. That would translate to approximately $93 AUS dollars. If we paid your prices a game would be about $128.00.

I stop playing console games and stick to just PC when that happens.

bitbydeath

USD$70 is roughly AUD$90 - so AUD$125.00 is just Sony price gouging for a new generation. But, didn't we all see this coming? When Sony announced its USD$10 price increase, I knew everyone else would get screwed with the conversion. Then Demon's Souls was AUD$125.00, I noped out. That's simply too much money for me to pick up games new on release. So, I'll wait and pickup games on sale, or get a second hand copy for cheap, later on. I feel sorry for the poor fools trapped with the PS5 DE, because their options are "Pay Sony's price" or "Don't ever play the fucking game".

I have the DE, PSN was often cheaper or the same price last gen on launch of new games and PSN sales were far better than you’ll find in any store. (Unless buying second hand)

I’m happy to wait 3-6 months for a PSN sale to bring it down to something more respectable but the launch prices right now are absolutely crazy.

zombrex

Playstation store prices are always super overpriced compered to retail.
Game will be $99 to $89 ions stores come release date most likely.
But still too expensive.

Ozzie666

Those look like EB prices. Usually much cheaper options out there, ranging from $70 to $90. But yes, started to wonder if building a good PC is a cheaper long term plan.

SullaFelix

Neo Member
Absolutely brutal. Ever since they bumped the Canadian prices I've been more selective about what games to get day 1. Sales on PSN have gotten a lot better and as others have said a few months of patience goes a long way.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Those prices are set by EB Games, shop at places like Big W, JBHifi, Amazon au, etc to get better pricing.
Don't forget to add GST to that currency conversion price.

I'm Australian and find these threads bitching about pricing unnecessary, deals can be had from many places and many other countries have it much worse than us, don't delude yourself into thinking we are somehow targeted and everyone else gets it better.

bitbydeath

Those prices are set by EB Games, shop at places like Big W, JBHifi, Amazon au, etc to get better pricing.

I'm Australian and find these threads bitching about pricing unnecessary, deals can be had from many places and many other countries have it much worse than us, don't delude yourself into thinking we are somehow targeted and everyone else gets it better.

That is the PSN store.
Last gen a game like that could be found on the store for $70-$80

IDappa

Yeah let's just bend over and let them charge $120 for a digital game while you can get it physically for cheaper.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair, in Australia you can refund your game if you don't like it right?

The upcharge is likely there to lock in profits from people messing with the return policies.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Absolutely brutal. Ever since they bumped the Canadian prices I've been more selective about what games to get day 1. Sales on PSN have gotten a lot better and as others have said a few months of patience goes a long way.
Ya. $90 + tax.

Unless you live in Alberta with low tax rates, every other province you add tax and you break $100.

Those parity currency years were great. I remember getting Fallout 3 for $60. And Best Buy had that $100 bundle deal for Gears 1 + COD3.

Last edited:
Ah thanks.

I thought Aus had a government policy about returns being mandatory available for purchasers.

My Battlefield 4 buddies in AU had to me that it was a government mandated return policy. They would play a game for up to two weeks, and then just return them. I told them never cry about how expensive their games are there.

Shivvy24

Yeah the prices are out of hand here. I only bought spider man for ps5 at $79 bigw earlier because of sale but that's it. Above $100 is rediculous and out of hand, I won't be buying. I've just been using this time to play the ps collection instead.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I don't want physical media for any gaming that I do - it's a waste of space, and it's a pain to deal with. So, I'm all digital on everything.

One of the things that makes me really comfortable with not owning a PS5 is the disgusting prices that Sony has in Australia. When I saw Miles Morales and Demon's Souls for $130 on PSN... my jaw just dropped. That's fucked.

There's something in my brain that just cannot accept that price. Not for a fucking video game. Not when I bought Valhalla for $79 on Uplay, Cyberpunk for $89 on Steam, and I just got RE3 Remake for $25. Sony's going to have to show me something absolutely brain searing to get me back - and it won't be God Of Boy II or Last Of Us 3: No Input Needed Edition.

Mhmmm 2077

Tell me about it. I live in Poland and I believe there is a really fuxked up economy, as a country in Central Europe, we are more of an Eastern Europe country when you look at salaries, but the pricing is more like in Western Europe countries... sometimes (pretty often) Steam games are more expensive than in US.

IDappa

Ah thanks.

I thought Aus had a government policy about returns being mandatory available for purchasers.
Consumer Law is very good over here. It does force retailers to either replace or repair faulty or damaged goods that have been purchased in the past 12 months. In saying that it doesn't usually mean if you change your mind you can simply return something, however the consumer laws here seems to have a knock on effect with retailers providing their own store policies such as EBgames having their 7 day no questions asked return policy.

Last edited:

IDappa

My Battlefield 4 buddies in AU had to me that it was a government mandated return policy. They would play a game for up to two weeks, and then just return them. I told them never cry about how expensive their games are there.
Read my above reply, not sure how to tag people on mobile. The government mandates a minimum of 12 months warranty on goods.

Getting charged more because we get basic warranties which all consumers should have is not really acceptable.

Last edited:
Always buy launch games physical and don't pre-order.
e.g. Finland you can get CP for 39,90€ physical.
69,95€ in PS store.

Last edited:

DonJimbo

In Germany as well it's hideously expensive that's why I buy second hand or wait for the sweet 15 bucks mark
I will never buy at launch or first hand even if Sony and Microsoft give me a free blowjob and millions of dollars Never

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
£70 for new gen games in the UK, so that's about right.

Personally, I'm finding it really hard to justify the price of new console games. I'm spending most of my gaming time at the moment playing retro PC games, like Medieval 2 Total War and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

If I do buy a new game, I'll just wait for a price drop. Either that or I'm just going to go PC only where the games are cheaper.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This is further made more difficult by the fact most Australian gamers are on a quest to find and devour the 6 crystal babies, or forever be trapped in didgeridoom.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
€80-70 in Ireland. Unless we are talking a AAA title with a 100+ hour campaign and longer replay value, Sony & MS can fuck off.

Zuzu

They definitely are very high on the digital stores when a game first comes out. But, you can find some fairly good physical prices for new games.

Last edited:
I was gonna complain about game prices in Canada, but I will hold a minute of silence for all Aussie gamers out there instead.

Make sure you bring lube the next time you go to the store to buy a game.

OZ9000

Banned
£70 for new gen games in the UK, so that's about right.

Personally, I'm finding it really hard to justify the price of new console games. I'm spending most of my gaming time at the moment playing retro PC games, like Medieval 2 Total War and Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

If I do buy a new game, I'll just wait for a price drop. Either that or I'm just going to go PC only where the games are cheaper.
£70 is utter shit for new games mate. It's why I'm sticking with PC gaming. I rarely pay more than £20 for my games. Fortunately physical hasn't died but eBay looks like a good place for PS5 games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Pretty sure this is down to the policies of the Australian government over the decades than the publishers or retailers. The Aussie government has always prevented international retailers from being able to undercut Australian business. That’s why games, books, blu rays etc. are all more expensive. Higher taxes and higher charges. Guess companies know Australians are used to paying through the nose, and think they can get away with it.

Also the reason why Amazon isn’t as big in Australia.

Last edited:
Top Bottom