• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Club Unlocked Appreciation Thread (saving $$$ for the console/handheld gamer)

I got GCU a few months ago and have been pretty let down so far. I've had all sorts of issues ordering, and Titanfall 2 turned into a nightmare that 2 chats and an email with their support couldn't solve.

Doctre81

I have been elite plus for years and have never gotten this deal. All my friends talk about it when the emails go out and I never get them. In the past talking with online help they see that I am not listed to receive them even though I certainly should. So frustrating.

Believe ir or not in my experience over the years they mostly send the secret rewards to people who don't shop there that often. Elite members almost never get that. It's supposed to be a thing that get's lasped buyers in the store.

The_Dama

Im trying to pre order the Halo Wars 2 $80 digital version but the 20% discount wont apply to it. Does it on work on retail games?

Hate to bump the thread, but my GCU is set to run out tomorrow and saw they offer an online activation code now. However, reading through the reviews it seems like it doesn't always work and their customer service is complete garbage to deal with and in-store customer service can't help you.

Anyone have any experience with the online code when you have an active membership? I really don't want to drive 30 miles one way for a 5 minute shopping trip.

Pompadour

Hate to bump the thread, but my GCU is set to run out tomorrow and saw they offer an online activation code now. However, reading through the reviews it seems like it doesn't always work and their customer service is complete garbage to deal with and in-store customer service can't help you.

Anyone have any experience with the online code when you have an active membership? I really don't want to drive 30 miles one way for a 5 minute shopping trip.

Worked for me twice. It does say it may take a few hours to process, however.

Kevdo

I got online GCU activation with that $25 off 100 or more deal a week ago, and while it did apply to the purchase it was included in, it hasn't worked since then. I got the email with welcome coupons saying it was activated, but I don't get the discount when shopping online, and it even pops up with an ad asking if I want to buy it. So obviously it's not actually activated. I posted on the support forums but haven't gotten a response yet, gonna have to call and see if that's any more helpful but going off of the other support threads I have my doubts.

So yeah going off my experience at least I wouldn't recommend the online activation.

I got online GCU activation with that $25 off 100 or more deal a week ago, and while it did apply to the purchase it was included in, it hasn't worked since then. I got the email with welcome coupons saying it was activated, but I don't get the discount when shopping online, and it even pops up with an ad asking if I want to buy it. So obviously it's not actually activated. I posted on the support forums but haven't gotten a response yet, gonna have to call and see if that's any more helpful but going off of the other support threads I have my doubts.

So yeah going off my experience at least I wouldn't recommend the online activation.
Were you already in the program though?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Made a huge mistake.

I guess I got lucky with my previous used games I got from Best Buy. The previous three all came complete with cases, covers, and a manual for the one that originally had one.

Bought a few games during the B2G1, two came in generic cases disc only. Kills the savings since now I am going to have to buy cases for them. Probably the last time I order a used game from Best Buy.

netguy503

I'm surprised we aren't seeing any Get $10 for any of the upcoming games.

Just wanting the thread to know that you have until the 21st of this month to use Visa checkout and if you order $100 or more of stuff you get $25 off your order. I have done this on multiple orders and it has worked (apparently this might be a glitch as some people on another forum were surprised it worked for some people). Also, if any of the bgames you order go in the "get $10 back" promo you get that too your just locking down this price before the deal ends. This is like a b1g1 deal with the gcu discount applied (esp. if you get $10 back on some of the games in the future). I now have all the games I want ordered until next E3. lol I would get in soon as you read this if you want to get multiple orders in as it is apparently glitched to allow that to happen (also they can cut this offer off at the knees before the 21st, last time they had this deal it was supposed to last a week and only lasted a day lol).

Best Buy and GCU stay winning. :)

finalflame

So the account my GCU is associated with is "broken" online. For months now, I can never check out and just get an "Oops, something went wrong" error. I've called Best Buy to get this fixed a million time and the outsourced rep on the phone can never help me or get me on the phone with anyone who can.

Do you guys know if it's possible to transfer GCU between accounts? The people at BB physical stores have also been useless :/

Heel

So the account my GCU is associated with is "broken" online. For months now, I can never check out and just get an "Oops, something went wrong" error. I've called Best Buy to get this fixed a million time and the outsourced rep on the phone can never help me or get me on the phone with anyone who can.

Do you guys know if it's possible to transfer GCU between accounts? The people at BB physical stores have also been useless :/

Try emailing twitter@bestbuy.com with an outline of the problem you're having. I had a pretty complex issue with my account giving me blank pages when trying to edit account details. They were eventually able to sort it out by associating my BestBuy.com and My Best Buy account with a new email address I provided.

I kept having this exact same issue, which is annoying as hell.

Here's a quick fix:

1. Make sure you are logged out of BestBuy.com on all of your browsers
  2. Add whatever you want to your cart while you are still signed out
  3. Start the Checkout process
  4. Log back in to your account when it prompts you to as part of the checkout process

This should allow you to complete transactions again.

finalflame

I kept having this exact same issue, which is annoying as hell.

Here's a quick fix:

1. Make sure you are logged out of BestBuy.com on all of your browsers
  2. Add whatever you want to your cart while you are still signed out
  3. Start the Checkout process
  4. Log back in to your account when it prompts you to as part of the checkout process

This should allow you to complete transactions again.

Thanks for the steps! I wish I had known this before. Thankfully, I contacted Best Buy via their twitter@bestbuy.com email per Heel's suggestion, and less than 12 hours later I have my GCU/rewards membership transferred to a new account with a different email that is not problematic. All is good in the world. The last thing I've asked is if they can retroactively apply my GCU discount to my BoTW pre-order, but I'm not too worried either way.

Heel

Thanks for the steps! I wish I had known this before. Thankfully, I contacted Best Buy via their twitter@bestbuy.com email per Heel's suggestion, and less than 12 hours later I have my GCU/rewards membership transferred to a new account with a different email that is not problematic. All is good in the world. The last thing I've asked is if they can retroactively apply my GCU discount to my BoTW pre-order, but I'm not too worried either way.

Nice, glad it worked out!

Star Wars Battlefront II and Destiny 2 are up for $10 certificates.

Does anyone know if it's retroactive? If I preordered Battlefront last week but they just added the promotion today, will I still get the $10?

Does anyone know if it's retroactive? If I preordered Battlefront last week but they just added the promotion today, will I still get the $10?

Of course Destiny 2 would be a part of the promotion. I need to be there as soon as the servers go live, so I'm going digital. I was kinda hoping Prey would be added.

ev0

Man, I wanted to go in on Destiny 2 digital...but GCU price +$10 cert makes it too good to pass up.

Star Wars too. Glad to see games being added again

Question.

Is GCU worth it if I can't trade in games at the store (our BB has a policy prohibiting all trade-ins without receipts)? I already have Amazon Prime, plus the Prime credit card for 5% rewards on every Amazon purchase.

Welp, 2017 continues to kill my savings.

Question.

Is GCU worth it if I can't trade in games at the store (our BB has a policy prohibiting all trade-ins without receipts)? I already have Amazon Prime, plus the Prime credit card for 5% rewards on every Amazon purchase.
Yes, even with Prime, it's better to have both as you'll save more money with both rather than just Prime alone.

Question.

I was in the same situation. Then I got GCU. GCU during a Visa $25 off $100 absolutely murders Amazon. Cannot beat $38 for a title on launch day. Even less if there's a $10 credit or you use the reward points you accumulate regularly.

I was in the same situation. Then I got GCU. GCU during a Visa $25 off $100 absolutely murders Amazon. Cannot beat $38 for a title on launch day. Even less if there's a $10 credit or you use the reward points you accumulate regularly.

Thanks for the tip. Just got one today.

I wanted to get BotW with it but they told me it would take a day and some change for my account to kick in. :)

Not even interested in D2 or Battlefront but at this point I might as well
Same, I usually rent my games but since these 2 are MP centric games, I might as well buy then.

The great thing about paying low prices for them is that if I don't end up liking either one, I could trade them and end loosing just a few bucks. Something I recently learned with Andromeda.

Super Mario Odyssey is in!
But there's something else. It seems that the digital version of Odyssey is also offering $10 reward .
In fact a few games are offering the reward for their digital versions. The downside is that they don't get the 20% discount.

According to the latest ad, digital pre-orders are now eligible for the $10 reward credit. Best Buy was already my go-to for everything physical, but it looks like I'll be getting most of my digital purchases there as well.
capture7ss53.png

wwm0nkey

According to the latest ad, digital pre-orders are now eligible for the $10 reward credit. Best Buy was already my go-to for everything physical, but it looks like I'll be getting most of my digital purchases there as well.
capture7ss53.png
Holy shit, stay winning BestBuy!

Maybe I should have gotten their credit card and not the Amazon one...

U2NUMB

Holy shit that is huge.... That's new thread worthy if you ask me. Save people money as people are pre ordering already.

Top Bottom