• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Nico_D

How’s everyone enjoying TOTK

Unfortunately, can't say I am. Well, everything non-boss and above the ground is really, really good. Shrines are mostly very well designed, discovering things, building stuff and just exploring is brilliant. But I absolutely hate all the boss fights which seems to taken too many pages from Western game design - I wish Zelda and Nintendo kept their own identity but times change, I understand that. I've completed about the UI challenges elsewhere but there's that too.

Also not a big fan of underground. Trying to find something there is just too slow thanks to the blight/corruption or whatever that is and limited possibilities of traversal. And it's not graphically very interesting.

I don't know, great parts are great but there are more worse parts than I've seen in a Nintendo game before. Especially Zelda. I've enjoyed the series a lot, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are couple of my favorite games - and BOTW was very good too - but if this is the direction of the series from now on, I don't think it's for me anymore. Boss fights and dungeons feel forced - the lightning temple was the only one which actually felt like a Zelda temple, others not so much.

Guess I'll chime in too to say I'm a bit disappointed. BotW was a cool game, but I had issues with it. No, not the weapon durability. Since TotK was going to be a sequel that re-used many parts of BotW, I hoped they'd take this opportunity to fix some of those problems. Infuse some traditional Zelda elements too and make it a truly great game. But they didn't address those issues, and instead doubled down on them. I don't care much for the new mechanics/abilities they added, so I don't see much progress when compared to the previous title.

And then I remember how they worked on this for six years. We used to get an entirely new game in that time. It just doesn't feel worth it to me. I still need to finish Zora's Domain and whatever comes after that. But I have no drive to start up the game anymore. I might just rush through to finish it.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Grezzo is also working on another Game for Nintendo. I think its going to be another Zelda remake in the style of links awakening.

Surprised Nintendo hasn’t just acquired them by now. Even their port of Miitopia outsold the original.

I thought maybe they’d have something lined up for later this year since they’re a fairly productive studio, but not sure how many resources they put on this AA game.

Mr Hyde

How’s everyone enjoying TOTK

Wrote in another thread but posting it here too. I'm 10 hours in and loving it so far. I think it's more story heavy than Botw, at least now initially, with lot of characters that provide a ton of backstory and lore, while also sending you out on quests. Botw, from what I remember, just dropped you off from the Plateu and off you went, with no particular directions given. I don't care much for the Ultra hand, I'm not creative enough to build fun things, but the fuse mechanics is a game changer. Lots of fun to experiment with different weapon combinations. Ascend is pretty good too, and alters the way you explore, adding a great deal of depth and variety to the core gameplay. As Dr. Claus Dr. Claus mentioned, you feel like a kid again playing this. Nintendo is one of few developers who can achieve such a feeling.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Grezzo will be putting a game out on Apple Arcade pretty soon.

They’ve been putting out Nintendo exclusives for over a decade so somewhat unexpected.
Hope it does well for them. Their desert RPG seemed to disappear without a ripple.

If Nintendo thinks they're good enough, they'll secure them. If not, they'd better be ready to lose them if they put out a bona fide hit.

Hope it does well for them. Their desert RPG seemed to disappear without a ripple.

If Nintendo thinks they're good enough, they'll secure them. If not, they'd better be ready to lose them if they put out a bona fide hit.

Good points. To be fair to Ever Oasis I think nearly every game that came out on the 3DS after the launch of the Switch basically bombed. It's the main reason why AlphaDream went bankrupt.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So now Nintendo is packed again for H2:
- Everyone's 1, 2, Switch (lol)
- Super Mario Bros. Wonder
- Super Mario RPG
- Pikmin 4
- Pikmin 1 & 2 Remaster (already available)
- Pokemon S&V Expanssions
- Detective Pikachu

Most of them are my cup of tea but I'm interested in SMB Wonders, SM RPG and Detective Pikachu. I never played Pikmin so I'll probably give them a try anytime soon.

Any other 1st or 3rd party exclusive I'm forgeting for the rest of calendar year?

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
- Super Mario RPG
- Pikmin 4
- Detective Pikachu

Most of them are my cup of tea but I'm interested in SMB Wonders, SM RPG and Detective Pikachu. I never played Pikmin so I'll probably give them a try anytime soon.

Any other 1st or 3rd party exclusive I'm forgeting for the rest of calendar year?

If you try Pikmin, I would say try Pikmin 3 or 4 first. Assuming 4 is as qualty as the first 3, it just only keeps improving and removing annoyances from previous entries.

But yea, lots of great stuff for Switch.

Jooxed

Gold Member
- Super Mario RPG
- Pikmin 4
- Detective Pikachu

Agree to start with Pikmin 3, I probably wouldn't have loved the series if I started with the first two. 3 is a lot of fun but the first two look super dated

- Super Mario RPG
- Pikmin 4
- Detective Pikachu

Baiten Kaitos 1 & 2 HD
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince
Fashion Dreamer
WarioWare: Move It!

There were a couple more in the Japanese Direct:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
- Super Mario RPG
I'm very excited to play this, sadly I never got the chance to play this game and the game looked goooood!

This year.....this fucking year.....
AffectionateForsakenArmyant-size_restricted.gif

Arkham trilogy
MGS trilogy
Super Mario Wonder and RPG
Luigi's Mansion 2

Solid fall of 2023. Switch stays winning.

Yeah for me

Star Ocean 2 HD-2D Remake
Super Mario RPG Remake
Detective Pikachu Returns
Persona 5 Tactica
Arkham Asylum
Metal Gear Solid 2/3
Pikmin 1/2/4
Luigi Mansion 2 Remaster
Mario + Rabbids DLC

From the Direct

Last edited:

Andyliini

From the Direct for me:

Super Mario RPG
Peach game
Luigi's Mansion 2
Batman Arkham Collection (if all games are on card and work well)
Detective Pikachu Returns
Metal Gear Collection Vol. 1 (if there is a release with all content on card)
WarioWare: Move it
Super Mario Bros. Wonderful

I won't run out of games.

Forgot Star Ocean. Day 1. Looks amazing. Second Story is also my favorite SO, so a HD-2D remake of this is fantastic news.

Loved that announcement. Huge Star Ocean fan. This direct was great, just wish there was more unannounced JRPG annoucements.

Hoping for these annoucements in future directs

Chrono Trigger HD-2D Remake
Star Ocean 3/4/5/6 HD Remaster Ports (3 is still my favorite SO)
FF6 HD-2D Remake
Xenogears HD-2D Remake
Xenoblade Chronicle X Port
Valkyrie Profile HD Remaster Collection (VP1, VP2, VPDS, VP Elysium)
FF9 Full Remake (If it looks like that fan made 3D DEMO on YouTube)
FFT HD-2D Remaster
The Last Story HD Remaster
Trails In The Sky Trilogy
Trails of Cold Steel I/II
Xenosaga Trilogy HD Remaster

Yokai Watch 4+++
Yokai Watch HD Remastered Collection (All Yokai Watch games, including the spinoffs)

DS JRPG PORTS
3DS JRPG PORTS

That's all I can think of at the moment
I will be fine if these don't happen but a man can dream lol

Last edited:

Hudo

So: Big new 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 and that teased Peach game for the next Nintendo system? Metroid Prime 4 might be crossgen.

Hudo

Grezzo is also working on another Game for Nintendo. I think its going to be another Zelda remake in the style of links awakening.
Oh interesting! Hope that it's either a Minish Cap or Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons remake.

Aldric

So: Big new 3D Mario, Metroid Prime 4 and that teased Peach game for the next Nintendo system? Metroid Prime 4 might be crossgen.
I don't see them making a lot of pure exclusives for the new system in quite some time, if they even release a new console anytime soon.

There's been rumblings about a new Donkey Kong game and I think it's time for a big ambitious 3D game which would make a nice exclusive for the new console. Monolith's new medieval action IP would also be a good showcase I think.

Aldric

Ah so it's a real thing after all? I've been under the impression that they used that artwork with the woman as some sort of recruitment ad.
It's real in the sense that it's a recruitment ad for a specific project, doesn't mean the game is 100% releasing soon because it might have been cancelled but it's definitely not just a generic recruitment page.

Hudo

It's real in the sense that it's a recruitment ad for a specific project, doesn't mean the game is 100% releasing soon because it might have been cancelled but it's definitely not just a generic recruitment page.
I hope you're right. I've been very interested in a potential "more traditional" fantasy game by Monolith. Especially now that Project ReFantasy by Atlus turned out to be not-so-traditional (I am not really complaining, it looks interesting enough. But back then Atlus and Hashino talked about fantasy and Dungeons & Dragons etc. so I was kinda hoping on their take on that.)

I hope you're right. I've been very interested in a potential "more traditional" fantasy game by Monolith. Especially now that Project ReFantasy by Atlus turned out to be not-so-traditional (I am not really complaining, it looks interesting enough. But back then Atlus and Hashino talked about fantasy and Dungeons & Dragons etc. so I was kinda hoping on their take on that.)

I was about to mention how disappointed I am by Project ReFantasy due to the "modern" setting. I want more Big Budget JRPGs that are fantasy based too. The only current one I can think of that coming up is Granblue Fantasy Relink. I'm hoping that MonolithSoft still has that fantasy game in development

I'm tired of seeing the modern set in the real world setting nowadays. It's I feel is overused.

I just want to explore a fantasy or sci fi world filled with lore with a battle system that's not just action.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Got an orange screen today. First time it ever happened to me. Scared the living shit out of me because I thought the Switch was bricked. But I powered it off and rebooted it, and it now functions properly. It happened right after I put a brand new 1tb SDcard into it and started downloading some games. Started researching and there was some reports that faulty cards could burn the SD slot. I haven't downloaded anything yet, because I'm terrified that it's gonna happen again and destroy my Switch.

Have any of you guys had the orange screen? Or a faulty SDcard? Should I be worried or was it just a one time thing?

Mr Hyde

Been downloading a couple of games now on the Switch and so far so good. That orange screen nearly gave me a heart attack. I've been thinking lately of putting more storage into the Switch, because I want to go towards more digital, aside from the occasional Nintendo banger that I want physical. 1tb should last me fairly good and I got the card on sale for half the price so it felt like a good deal. As long as it doesn't brick my Switch. That would brick my heart.

Stafford

Never played much Pikmin before, but I'm playing the demo of 4 now. Is there no way at all to recall your Pikmin? I have to go back to the starting area to get them back? That's getting old and annoying real quick.

skyfall

Anybody pick up a set of the pastel joy cons that released today? I think they're pretty cool

pre order for the pruple & green got delivered today
2iVc9Ws.jpg

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Anybody pick up a set of the pastel joy cons that released today? I think they're pretty cool

2iVc9Ws.jpg
Those look really nice, but I recently gave up the Joycon life. I have been using the Hori Split pad and love it. If I am using joycons I rotate between my Blue Zelda ones and the gold ones. I think I'll get the pastel ones for my wife.

Intoxicate

2iVc9Ws.jpg

Since the OLED came out I replaced all my colored Joy Con with white ones. It’s all black/grey and white now. This fixed my need to go for any new color they came up with…

Even though I’m really excited for the Super Switch, I am gonna miss this gen. I’ve never seen Nintendo so dominant. Despite a lot of ports and a lack of Metroid, we got some of the best entries in Nintendo’s core franchises. And considering how available Nintendo has made their back catalogue, I can easily say it’s the best console that’s ever been. What a run.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Since the OLED came out I replaced all my colored Joy Con with white ones. It’s all black/grey and white now. This fixed my need to go for any new color they came up with…
I finally bought a HORI Split Pad and I have never looked back to the joycons they are display only now. Haha

I have too much to play so I won't be there day 1, but I am pretty excited for Super Mario Wonder. Not a huge 2D Mario fan but the fact that it's compared to Super Mario World (and shares the same abbreviation - SMW) has me stoked.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I have too much to play so I won't be there day 1, but I am pretty excited for Super Mario Wonder. Not a huge 2D Mario fan but the fact that it's compared to Super Mario World (and shares the same abbreviation - SMW) has me stoked.
Yeah my switch backlog just keeps getting bigger and bigger, though I expect Wonder will take priority because its something fun i can do with my wife

Top Bottom