• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf recommend me a mouse that can replace razer deathadder elite/chroma

V4skunk

Banned
Hey Gaf I am in desperate need of a new mouse that can replace my razer death adder elite and chroma.

I've used razer death adder elite and chroma from 2013 to today, so getting a razer deathadder v2 was a no brainer. It got good reviews, and it has optical mouse buttons.

Truth is, though, I hate it. They replaced the rubber which hold your hands in place with some textured plast or something into the mouse itself, and it has become much more narrow compared to the elite and chroma.

It feels more like its a mouse for someone with long fingers now instead of big wide ones, and I hate it because all other mice are made to small hands.

And the side buttons are annoying as hell. They were designed into the mouse so you didn't really noticed it, now they are far outside on the side.

I got them fifty percent off, but man, I have to return these mice because they are so poor ergonomic wise compared to the previous ones.

So Gaf, do you have experience with mice for manly hands or have we been abandoned by razer?

I won't be surprised if there's one out there for the double price point.
Any premium model mouse from Steel Series, Razer, Logitech etc...

I would go for a wireless mouse. Ever since I switched to the G305, I haven't looked back.

I guess look at G502 or G703 if you have bigger hands

Topher

Gold Member
I love this mouse:

Razer - Basilisk X Hyperspeed Wireless

6384932cv11d.jpg

This is my main goto. Extremely comfortable. Has RF dongle as well as Bluetooth. Most responsive wireless mouse I've used.

On the wired side, I like...

CORSAIR - M65 RGB Ultra

6485744cv12d.jpg

Also very comfortable, but obviously everyone's hands are different. Love the sniping button on the side that lowers the DPI to make aiming easier.

Last edited:

JBat

I really like my Logitech g700s and was going to suggest it but then looked it up and holy hell it's gotten expressive...I guess being discontinued will do that. Also realized I've been using this mouse for like 8 years. But looking around if my 700 died tomorrow I would probably go with the g502.

hinch7

First post here on GAF but here goes lol..

I'm keen on my Logitech G403 for FPS games and shooters. It has a really nice shape for palm griping with my medium sized hands and is relatively light; compared to my other mice. I'd say you'd probably be able to able to get a comfortable claw grip it too if you have large hands. There's the G703 which is essentially the same mouse but wireless only.

There's high end options like the G Pro X Superlight though that's significantly more expensive but it has a similar shape and ambidextrous design. Its very light supposedly, not tried it.

Also have the G502 Hero which works well for everything else. Lots of buttons (11 programmable), quite ergonomic for palm grip and flat which makes it great for MMO's and other games. It is heavy though so its not the best for competitive shooters. Good all-rounder though there is G502X incoming soon, that was was leaked and that's apparently very light and comes wireless. Also agreed on the guy who said no Razer, their QC sucks.. moreso than Logitech or other brands in my experience.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Why did you guys taking it over the basilisk v3? Price, quality, or just brand?

Mostly because the g502 got there first, which means the razer is perceived as the "copy".

I'm personally sort of interested on the v3 - it has 2 less buttons, but the mousewheel left-right are famously unusable on the g502, so if razer scrollwheel design fixes that it sort of compensates.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I have tried to make these pictures to show what I mean.

Razer Death Adder (preferred grip)
deathadder.jpg

1. Razer Deathadder.
Thumb on the side
index on left button.
middle finger between mousewheel and right button
ring finger on right mouse button
and little finger on the right side

My middle finger is able to rest on both the left button and right button, and on the wheel. That is the comfort I need.

Glorious Model D
IMG-20220430-133215.jpg

thumb on side
index on left button
middle finger on right button
ring finger and little finger on the side.

My right side gets too busy with two fingers on it, and it feels extremely unnatural and hurtful to hold this way.

is it possible for g502 or basilisk v3 to give me the death adder grip, or is deathadder the only mouse giving this possibility?

NanaMiku

I've used Deathadder as my first gaming mouse until it got the double click problem. Now I use G502 and never look back.

The_Mike

I've used Deathadder as my first gaming mouse until it got the double click problem. Now I use G502 and never look back.
But which type grip is the g502 for you? If you compare to my screenshots above.

Danknugz

seconding the logitech g502. comes with weights so you can adjust the throwing/twitch motion feeling. not that i ever play competitively like that anymore but it's there if you want it. (personally i always preferred ball mouses for competitive because i didn't like the analog to digital conversion, felt it affected my aim but that was a long time ago

warning though, i got the double click problem on one of my g502 and had to return it. it's not common but apparently it's happened to quite a few g502 owners from what i've read.

Last edited:

Loope

How wide does it feel? Does it feel like a normal width with a thumb rest, or is it actually more wide?

Why did you guys taking it over the basilisk v3? Price, quality, or just brand?
It feels normal with the tumb rest. I chose it because i tried one from my co-worker and just loved the feeling of it and the build quality. Never tried the basilisk.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Some time ago Logi decided to replace the well regarded japanese switches with chinese ones... and, well, yeah expected things happened. Honestly the normal 502 is super cheap these days but having the chinese switches on the superexpensive wireless is infuriating.

The_Mike

What about this:
Everybody is raving about this mouse, not sure its worth it for 100 euros.
Doesn't look more different than basilisk and g502.

I watched many videos now of basilisk. Seems like everyone use 1-2-2 i can't believe deathadder is the only mouse giving 1-3-1 love.

I'm gonna give up on gaming man it's insane I'm a dying breed.

The_Mike

I actually found out I for some reason have a basilisk 1 mouse lying around that I got for free working as a gaming freelancer, and to be honest, it rests decent in my hand.

It's actually nice to be able to "adjust" the width on the mouse with the thumb rest, where you can adjust how far you wanna go while still being connected to the mouse.

I am also able to do 1 3 1 grip on it. Its not as wide as the deathadder, but the deathadder also feels to big now without the rubber on the sides.

But, I can see the first basilisk has rubber on each side.

I assume basilisk v3 doesn't have rubber on the sides, just like deathadder v2 hasnt.

I don't doubt that v2 feels like an upgrade from the first, thought i believe the grip and shape is the same.

But how about basilisk v3? They probably cheaper out on the rubber there as well, and made textured plastic.

The basilisk v2 costs half the price of the v3, but man the v3 also has optical buttons. But maybe not the rubber.

Also, is the glossy part annoying to touch?

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I actually found out I for some reason have a basilisk 1 mouse lying around that I got for free working as a gaming freelancer, and to be honest, it rests decent in my hand.

It's actually nice to be able to "adjust" the width on the mouse with the thumb rest, where you can adjust how far you wanna go while still being connected to the mouse.

I am also able to do 1 3 1 grip on it. Its not as wide as the deathadder, but the deathadder also feels to big now without the rubber on the sides.

But, I can see the first basilisk has rubber on each side.

I assume basilisk v3 doesn't have rubber on the sides, just like deathadder v2 hasnt.

I don't doubt that v2 feels like an upgrade from the first, thought i believe the grip and shape is the same.

But how about basilisk v3? They probably cheaper out on the rubber there as well, and made textured plastic.

The basilisk v2 costs half the price of the v3, but man the v3 also has optical buttons. But maybe not the rubber.

Also, is the glossy part annoying to touch?

You should take into consideration the infinity wheel.

basi v2 has normal scroll wheel, basi v3 has infinity wheel, just like g502. Essentially it's a wheel that toggles between clicky step by step (great for precision) or free spinning (great for speed scrolling through long documents/webpages). Part of the reason people like the g502 is how god damn convinient that scroll wheel setup is.

BlackTron

I swear by the 3360 sensor. I have a wired G Pro that has it, but now they all seem to have the HERO sensor instead.

A bunch of BenQ Zowie mice have it too, I got one on ebay a few weeks ago for the Xbox so I can stop swapping mice all the time (Halo).

Having used many mice over many years, this sensor makes that small critical difference to make most precise shots. Any mouse with this this sensor gets my recommendation over any other without it, even regardless of its shape. It would be a matter of finding the best one with it.

hinch7

I swear by the 3360 sensor. I have a wired G Pro that has it, but now they all seem to have the HERO sensor instead.

A bunch of BenQ Zowie mice have it too, I got one on ebay a few weeks ago for the Xbox so I can stop swapping mice all the time (Halo).

Having used many mice over many years, this sensor makes that small critical difference to make most precise shots. Any mouse with this this sensor gets my recommendation over any other without it, even regardless of its shape. It would be a matter of finding the best one with it.
Aren't Hero Sensors just modified 3360's, optimized for low power? I doubt there's much in it tbh.

Like I don't notice a difference between my wireless G403 (3366) vs G502 Hero (Hero 25K). The only thing that matters imo, is mouse shape, buttons and weight for gaming. For sensors so long as you get one with a 3360 and above, you're good.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Deathadder is my favorite mouse of all time but when my last one died I decided I wanted a new mouse with features I've found from my Logitech G502 that I really like.

chroma-rgb.jpg

Razer Basilisk V3 has been about perfect. Still not exactly as good in the hands as the Deathadder, but damn close, plus it has the added benefit of a togglable infinite scroll-wheel and the function of clicking the scroll-wheel left and right for added button functionality. It's a great mouse and one I'd highly recommend to a Deathadder fan that wants something new.

Razer Basilisk - feels great to me

I am using the Basilisk V1 I got from somewhere which actually feels quite nice.

The thumb button has been removed, as its there my thumb rests, and it actually feels really comfortable.

But it looks like the buttons on v3 are sticking far out from the mouse, and the thumb button should not be removable, does it feel uncomfortable for your thumb? I would think that if your thumb rests on it then the edge on the button could be annoying?

Top Bottom