• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elite V2 can be so great, yet I would never recommend it

Stafford

And certainly not for the price of 170 or 180 euros which the regular black one costs now. Back when One X came out I was very lucky, because the store gave me a Elite V1 since they weren't able to get me the promised Scorpio edition of the console.

Around the time V2 came out the rubber grips on the V1 were letting loose, the store offered for me to trade it in, pay a little extra and get V2. I've been returning V2's ever since. Sometimes for LB and RB being unreliable, sometimes I'd had to press them in so firm, other times it was fine. Or the X, Y, A, B buttons getting stuck inside the sockets or also just not registering unless I pressed them in way too hard. Or the left stick not clicking, or just not working right out of the box.

Now with my practically brand new one it already sometimes doesn't respond when I press A. Yet when I use the Series controller it's fine. I also noticed that for some reason the sticks are very loose, wobbly right out of the box. How sticks would be like after having had at least a few years of intensive usage.

whereas with the Series controller they are firm and tight. I don't get why this keeps happening to the Elite controllers. Just keep the quality, the firm, tight analog sticks from the Series controller and make a V3. Because I do love the (premium) feel of the controller, it's comfortable, the battery life is superb but these issues keep it from being perfection.

I just don't get it.

Roberts

It's obvious that there is some sort of design flaw because so many people have issues so I consider myself lucky when my Elite 1 still works and Elite 2 Core hasn't got any problems either and I have been playing with it every day since September.

I would still recommend it as long as you can return it in case if it is broken out of the box.

Last edited:

reektann

I have had 3 elite V1 and 2 elite v2 - they all had that A button issue. You can check it when you go into the gamepad monitoring in Windows. If you tap it over and over and watch the lights in the app - 1 or 2 out of 10 it just wont light. I think its the rubber membrane inside because if you spend 10 minutes firmly pushing the button down with the controller off then use it for a while the A button is fine. Then when the rubber slowly becomes more rigid again the issue returns.

It was a nightmare in Rocket League as my car would sometimes just not flip at all.

I think its worse for me because I "roll" my thumb between A and X - the elite seems to hate it.

Never had the issue with any other Xbox controllers - currently using the Series X in White which is perfect.

Last edited:
I have about a dozen controllers in active rotation including 2 steam controllers, dualsense edge, switch pro, 8bitdo pro 2 amongst others and the elite 2 is by far the worst in many areas including weight, durability, reliability and the rumble is absolutely the worst out of any controller. I just have to turn it off. It’s so bad to the point of being almost comical.

I like the feel of the sticks and how smooth they are. That’s about it, but totally not worth giving the Elite V2 any attention really.

Stafford

I have had 3 elite V1 and 2 elite v2 - they all had that A button issue. You can check it when you go into the gamepad monitoring in Windows. If you tap it over and over and watch the lights in the app - 1 or 2 out of 10 it just wont light. I think its the rubber membrane inside because if you spend 10 minutes firmly pushing the button down with the controller off then use it for a while the A button is fine. Then when the rubber slowly becomes more rigid again the issue returns.

It was a nightmare in Rocket League as my car would sometimes just not flip at all.

I think its worse for me because I "roll" my thumb between A and X - the elite seems to hate it.

Never had the issue with any other Xbox controllers - currently using the Series X in White which is perfect.

Yeah. I've actually resorted to buying the pouch that comes with the parts (I have the Core version now, wanted to see if anything had changed because they said they took the complaints seriously) and using the paddles for A.

Truly hope they fix it, it's such a shame. But I doubt they will. Since they said they listened when they released the Core, yet here we are. You'd think that during extensive testing of these buttons they'd notice things aren't working as they should. I mean if the regular Series Controllers don't have these issues, why do they insist on keeping it wrong for Elite? Meh.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The build quality on the elite controllers is embarrassingly, horribly bad, I’ve had issues with both the v1 and v2 and I would never buy another one. I honestly don’t know why this isn’t a huge scandal. The crazy thing is that the issues came up immediately for both and apparently they were never really fixed. MS is running a giant con here.

Last edited:
Yeah, gotta agree. Amazing controller, but horrible reliability. On my Elite V2, one of the back triggers didn't work very well out of the box, and I eventually had the bumper issue happen with the RB button. Fixed it myself, but still annoying to have to open up a controller and fix it. I've had standard Xbox One controllers with less issues than the Elite.

It's clear Microsoft isn't charging more for these controllers because the quality is better. They're charging more because they can get a high profit margin from marginally more expensive materials.

Mine has been super durable. Recently the front and rear shells started caving in from wear. I'm really strong, have big hands and I tend to grip controllers too tight so over time the shells stress and deteriorate, usually at a much faster rate than this controller has. The battery still lasts all week, the mechanicals work flawlessly, no drift, buttons feel like new, all the switches are mint, and the inner frame is rock-solid. It's the only controller I use on my PC and adding up the hours since I got it in 2019 puts it at well over 5000 hours of gaming time on it. I'll buy a replacement shell for $40 and get another 5000 out of it. I'll buy a Series 3 on day one.

Sucks so many seem to have issues with theirs.

DeVeAn

I want series x version. I had an Elite 2 and the A button would not register intermittently. Unacceptable as it’s the most used button. I loved everything else though.

Dutchy

I'm currently playing on my second v2 and it's almost falling apart (again). I'm using all the paddles right now cause a lot of the front buttons and one bumper don't work properly anymore. I just wish that standard controllers came with paddle slots by default. They could sell the paddles seperately idc.

Stafford

I'm currently playing on my second v2 and it's almost falling apart (again). I'm using all the paddles right now cause a lot of the front buttons and one bumper don't work properly anymore. I just wish that standard controllers came with paddle slots by default. They could sell the paddles seperately idc.

That's actually a damn good idea.

Danknugz

there's a major flaw in the design of elite v2 and you can demonstrate it as follows:

1. hold either the left or right stick at an angle and press the stick down so it clicks and you're still holding it at the angle
2. with the stick still clicked "in", rotate the stick around the circle
3. you will see that it's not a smooth movement around the circle, but notchiness and lack of being able to be precise at all

this flaw is not in standard controllers

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
I am so ready for a premium controller but it seems there's not a market for it. I want it built like a swiss watch though. Charge me $600 if you must, just give me a solid aluminum housing, real coil springs behind each button and user servicable analog sticks for both cleaning and replacement. If made sturdy enough it could last a decade +. With PC becoming the dominant platform there's no worry about Gens ending. Just a nice ass DirectInput controller... At the rate I'm going I buy a new MS Xbox controller about every 4 years.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am so ready for a premium controller but it seems there's not a market for it. I want it built like a swiss watch though. Charge me $600 if you must, just give me a solid aluminum housing, real coil springs behind each button and user servicable analog sticks for both cleaning and replacement. If made sturdy enough it could last a decade +. With PC becoming the dominant platform there's no worry about Gens ending. Just a nice ass DirectInput controller... At the rate I'm going I buy a new MS Xbox controller about every 4 years.
The Series XS fully support all One controllers so theoretically you could be using a 10 year old controller on your new system (not that I would recommend it, those first One controllers had issues too). The Sony controller has replaceable sticks at least, but then it skimps on the battery. It really seems like these companies are just taking advantage of their biggest fans with these "premium" controllers.

simpatico

Gold Member
The Series XS fully support all One controllers so theoretically you could be using a 10 year old controller on your new system (not that I would recommend it, those first One controllers had issues too). The Sony controller has replaceable sticks at least, but then it skimps on the battery. It really seems like these companies are just taking advantage of their biggest fans with these "premium" controllers.
I guess I should add that I'd want it to accept AA batteries and a battery pack that can be purchased and recharged without removing. Good point about the consoles becoming more flexible with what they accept for controllers. All the more reason for someone to make an actual "Pro" version.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I just wish that standard controllers came with paddle slots by default. They could sell the paddles seperately idc.
Isn’t that pretty much what the V2 Core is?

It would be added expense and complication to the basic controller, most of the cost is probably in the actual buttons that the paddles press, the paddles themselves are probably peanuts.

Dutchy

Isn’t that pretty much what the V2 Core is?

It would be added expense and complication to the basic controller, most of the cost is probably in the actual buttons that the paddles press, the paddles themselves are probably peanuts.
Not really. It's still made out of more expensive materials and more intricate mechanisms like the trigger sensitivity, thumbstick tension and load-out selection.

I just want a basic af Microsoft controller that has paddle slots :messenger_pensive:

Banned
the Elite controllers have to have the worst quality control of any console accessory EVER.

never buy one!

NinjaBoiX

Not really. It's still made out of more expensive materials and more intricate mechanisms like the trigger sensitivity, thumbstick tension and load-out selection.

I just want a basic af Microsoft controller that has paddle slots :messenger_pensive:
But the point I’m making is, why would they add 99% of the cost of paddle implementation when 99% of the people who buy it would never use it? It would increase the cost and waste of the base pad massively, it makes no sense.

The current model works, either a basic pad for most folk who are happy with that, or an elite pad for those willing to pay a premium.

NinjaBoiX

I bought one but I just couldn’t get used to using the paddles. Seemed like an extravagance having two pads, so I just sold it and carried on using the standard pad.

It worked fine while I had it, and was nicer to use, but I’d rather have £100 in my pocket.

Last edited:

Dutchy

But the point I’m making is, why would they add 99% of the cost of paddle implementation when 99% of the people who buy it would never use it? It would increase the cost and waste of the base pad massively, it makes no sense.

The current model works, either a basic pad for most folk who are happy with that, or an elite pad for those willing to pay a premium.
I don't think either of us know how costly it is to integrate those. It could be completely negligible for all we know. Either way; I'd like to see a basic xbox controller version with just paddle integration. The Elite Core is still 130 bucks. I can gaurantee you that most people with an elite do not use the trigger/stick tension or the load-out function either. A lot of costs they could shave off.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I don't think either of us know how costly it is to integrate those. It could be completely negligible for all we know.
Not a chance that four tiny pieces of moulded metal cost more than a tiny fraction of all the circuitry and switchgear for the paddles to work.

So a basic pad with just the ability to use these proposed paddle add-ons (that 99% of people would never buy) would cost a sizeable chunk more than what the current pad costs?

I just can’t fathom why they’d do this, when the premium pad already exists for those wanting to pay for that functionality.

I get what you’re asking for, but it’s just not going to happen. It doesn’t make sense as a proposition.

Dutchy

Not a chance that four tiny pieces of moulded metal cost more than a tiny fraction of all the circuitry and switchgear for the paddles to work.

So a basic pad with just the ability to use these proposed paddle add-ons (that 99% of people would never buy) would cost a sizeable chunk more than what the current pad costs?

I just can’t fathom why they’d do this, when the premium pad already exists for those wanting to pay for that functionality.

I get what you’re asking for, but it’s just not going to happen. It doesn’t make sense as a proposition.
Alright thanks

Top Bottom