• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 experiencing massive layoffs

wvnative

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

I wouldn't call 15-20 massive although it does suck for those affected. I forgot G4 was even trying to make a comeback.
Out of what is the question. If it's out of 30 then it's disaster, out of 50 is massive out of 1000 well who cares. The real and useful context is missing.

Edit: now we have context. 20 out of 200 is Massive.

Last edited:

skit_data

I had no context of what G4 was or anything, but I saw that whole ”Playstation is a dead man walking etc” thing and it’s aftermath and concluded they are either willingly trying to create some sort of bait controversy or they simply have hosts that have no idea of what they’re talking about and neither of those two alternatives justified watching a single second of their content.

Quantum253

Honestly, G4 had a good run and was one of the forefronts for a weird niche "gaming TV channel." I stopped watching a long time ago, so I wouldn't have any idea of what shows/personalities are even on now. I thought it was mostly re-runs of shows like COPs mixed with old AoTS and X-play.

Will wait for more info, but I will say that I had a strong feeling that the deal with NBC Universal was eventually going to end on a sour note. They took a big gamble with cable TV over other offers and outlets.

Quite a few members here will blame wokeness and Frosk but not realize that this was going to be the eventual outcome regardless of that moment ever happening in the first place.

blacktout

There simply does not exist a viable market for their content anymore. If you're looking for in depth coverage of gaming, there are thousands of YouTube channels to cater to that need with lower overhead, more actual knowledge, and a better understanding of their audience. There's not a monolithic "gamer" demographic anymore who will just sit down and watch any general ass thing about video games. Instead there are people with increasingly specialized tastes in content: people who only watch speedrun videos, people who only watch videos on about a specific platform, people who only watch videos about Fortnite or Minecraft, people who only watch weird sexual ASMR videos about Sans from Undertale or whatever, etc. No one wants to watch some middle-aged eternal frat boy do 30 second reviews of the week's big releases. Who could possibly give a shit?

The woke nonsense was pretty clearly an attempt to use controversy to get eyes on their content, but that strategy stopped being effective like two years ago. So even their attempts to crassly exploit modern sensibilities are behind the times.

Last edited:

recursive

Out of what is the question. If it's out of 30 then it's disaster, out of 50 is massive out of 1000 well who cares. The real and useful context is missing.

Edit: now we have context. 20 out of 200 is Massive.
Massive for that little company maybe. Other industries such as automotive see 2 to 3 thousand go at a time which was more where I was coming from. That is a massive number.

It's like they forgot WHO actually enjoyed their older content and watered it down completely.
This is exactly what happen when you hire talentless activist instead of actual competent People, G4 was a business, their main focus should be making money, the moment Frosk start that unprovoken rant, she should be fired instead everyone cheering her

Now you have old People like sessler who i doubt could land another job in the industry, when you are 35+ your job options start to decline, New and cheaper People could bring better numbers, because you become too old to your audience

In the end G4 failed because they are incompenet, their channel was full of old People, who acted like gen z teenagers, so thats full cringe, they never got a decent screenplay, and they shit on their audience

Top Bottom