• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G.I. Joe: Wrath of Cobra - Official Reveal Trailer

MiguelItUp

This is awesome, I'd love to see other 80's / 90's cartoons get the same treatment. I still can't believe there's gonna be a Toxic Crusader game.

lucious lyon wtf GIF

I mean the animations look like Flash cartoons (in a bad sense)
All power-ups are Floppy discs? (Placeholders?)
Where are the guns?

Other than that, the gameplay looks nice.

Neff

I really dislike these Western belt scrollers mimicking Japan's finest and completely missing the tone, style and appeal.

In fact Western indie studios pirating '80s Japanese arcade culture can fuck off in general.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ignore the weird flash-like animation and focus on the gameplay at the end.
I never knew I wanted this! My inner 80 kid is screaming right now!!!

Could someone do some Thundercats and Silverhawks next, please?

This just proves you are old. Oh crap, that means I am too...

Blackage

Yeah that looks kinda milktoast to me.

That said it gives me to an excuse to post the most ridiculously over the top patriotic piece of media ever created.

US Military fighting back against Terrorists at the Statue of liberty on the 4th of July while fireworks are going off in the background.

It's just so absurd how can you not love it?

AREYOUOKAY?

GI Joe arcade is still the best go joe game

Fun and maybe obvious fact for Joe fans. They use the theme song from the DiC version of the show for the first stage.

Thankfully they didn't use the same character designs.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah that looks kinda milktoast to me.

That said it gives me to an excuse to post the most ridiculously over the top patriotic piece of media ever created.

US Military fighting back against Terrorists at the Statue of liberty on the 4th of July while fireworks are going off in the background.

It's just so absurd how can you not love it?

The intro and movie is possibly my fav cartoon ever. That along with BTAS and the first 5-6 years of The Simpsons.

I never kept up with anything GIJOE after that time as I outgrew all that GIJOE and Transformers stuff, but still will watch GIJOE The Movie.

Loved Beachhead.

whE9XWB.jpg

Ozzie666

GI Joe would have been the perfect franchise to capitlize on the arena shooter or counter strike type games. So many unique characters. The early comics were very underated and had some great stories. As already posted GI Joe The Movie was an amzing movie and very high animation standards for the time, it was mind blowing and that intro is still out of this world. I feel fortunate to have grown up with GI Joe, Transformers, Robotech, Thundercats, Voltron, Force Five and so many cartoon staples for morning and afternoon TV. Just be happy to get something like this in this day and age. Don Jonhson and Burgess Meredith voice acting, are you kidding me! Spoiled in the 80's.

"Hey you know how with Shredder's Revenge, we adapted a popular 80's cartoon into a side scrolling beat 'em up and it was a massive success?"

"Yeah?"

"Let's do that again."

OP, I'm a fan and both, the flash animation and the gameplay looked godawful.

Hasbro are so clueless about the current status of video games, it's not even funny anymore.

The amount of IP goldmine they're sitting on, dormant, is just too painful to even think about.

I mean, forget Power Rangers and Transformers for now. Just imagine a Storm Shadow or a Snake Eyes standalone J-Action game by Platinum Games like Bayo or MGR. Would do really good numbers if marketed right.

Last edited:

Duchess

What's this GI Joe thing?

It looks like a rip off of Action Force (International Heroes), we had here in the UK. I've also just seen there's a character called Sgt Slaughter. Wow, talk about getting violent. What was wrong with Sgt Slammer???

/s

Luc2010

Love GI Joe and will be getting this game. They do need to speed the game up a bit. Reminds me of old SNES Beat em up games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
GI Joe will always be a hard ip to turn into a game just because there so many great characters and vehicles. Using Just a few will never be enough.

Naked Lunch

So they are taking all 80s properties and making shallow 2D beatem ups out of them now?
The NES GI Joe games look a thousand times better than this.

GI Joe the (Larry Hama written) comicbook franchise is basically Metal Gear before Metal Gear. Supernatural mixed with militant. Shame no one every really did it justice in game form.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I was even about to accept the way it looks but why does it seem 5 FPS?

Edit: Maybe the guy exporting the final video was using his PC to burn a CD at the same time? I don't get it

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It looks like you’re going to miss half your attacks because the sprit size. I’d love one done with larger character models, Capcom or Konami style. At first it reminded me of Captain America and the Avengers, but without super powers. Which is weird.

Ozzie666

Franchise is perfect for a metal slug reskin. It has all the characters and vehicles.
Gunstar Heroes or Contra at the least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom