• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FY2020 profits result for Japanese video game companies. Record profits for Playstation GnS and Nintendo.

Bodomism

Banned
L9NzCFY.png

Sources:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's pretty impressive that Sony posted record profits in a year where they launched a brand new console at a loss. Not to take anything away from Nintendo of course. Their decision to go handheld only has clearly paid off.

Both companies need to invest some of those profits right back into big first party AAA games. I dont ever want to hear how making games is expensive. They return over investment is clearly higher than it's ever been.

b6a6es

Banned
Congratulations to shareholders !

anyway, it’s definitely a great year for both Sony & Nintendo and all parties involved

im surprised that Konami still had a record profits despite Covid hurting it’s Patchinko & Amusement business, 2.5M copies of that 🚂 game saved them this year for sure, and hopefully they start giving a shit about making games going forward (aka Metal Gear, Castlevania, At least port the older games to modern consoles/PC ffs, I can’t even play Silent Hill 2 anymore without pirating it lol)

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think it's pretty impressive that Sony posted record profits in a year where they launched a brand new console at a loss. Not to take anything away from Nintendo of course. Their decision to go handheld only has clearly paid off.

Both companies need to invest some of those profits right back into big first party AAA games. I dont ever want to hear how making games is expensive. They return over investment is clearly higher than it's ever been.

Handheld only?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Dr Bass

This is GREAT news.
It's good in some ways. It completely backs up the approach Sony and Nintendo take (which is of course great), but it's not gonna light a fire under Nintendo's rear either. They are likely never going to revisit some of their great franchises in ways that would make their longtime customers happy. There is so much potential in F-Zero, StarFox, and a bunch of other stuff. For whatever reason they are content to let those things wither on the vine.

I honestly hope Metroid Dread is a great game and sells really well ...

MrA

Banned
These franchises don't sell well. Metroid too did poorly for most of its releases.

They should just focus on popular franchises and new IPs, and just outsource those other franchises to other developers with a considerable budget.
I always think it's funny when people are like, ughh more smash bros, when are they going to show games people really want like metroid prime 4 and bayonetta 3, you know the games that sell less than 1/10th of smash bros.

yurinka

To look at the full picture you need to consider the revenues too, operating profits only show a tiny and very incomplete portion of the story. Example:

-Company A makes a shit ton of money, has insanely big revenues but decides to reinvest almost all of it in a lot of games so it also doesn't have profit, if they keep profit at all.
-Company B makes way less money, has way smaller revenue but doesn't almost reinvest it and decides to keep most of that cash as profit.
-Company C just made huge long term very promising investments and has normal revenue but shows big loses.

Looking only at operative profit company B would be making a great job, company A not that good an company C would be a disaster. And it isn't the case.

There is so much potential in F-Zero, StarFox, and a bunch of other stuff. For whatever reason they are content to let those things wither on the vine.

I honestly hope Metroid Dread is a great game and sells really well ...
Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash and Zelda have great sales. F-Zero, Starfox, Metroid or Bayonetta never had great sales.

Nintendo is beasting. Sony needs to do better in Japan. Overall good results.
Sony made this year (the one that saw Switch's yearly sales peak while PS4 is dying and PS5 was barely starting) worldwide almost twice the amount of money that Nintendo did. They don't give a fuck about Japan.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
To look at the full picture you need to consider the revenues too, operating profits only show a tiny and very incomplete portion of the story. Example:

-Company A makes a shit ton of money, has insanely big revenues but decides to reinvest almost all of it in a lot of games so it also doesn't have profit, if they keep profit at all.
-Company B makes way less money, has way smaller revenue but doesn't almost reinvest it and decides to keep most of that cash as profit.
-Company C just made huge long term very promising investments and has normal revenue but shows big loses.

Looking only at operative profit company B would be making a great job, company A not that good an company C would be a disaster. And it isn't the case.

Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash and Zelda have great sales. F-Zero, Starfox, Metroid or Bayonetta never had great sales.

Sony made this year (the one that saw Switch's yearly sales peak while PS4 is dying and PS5 was barely starting) worldwide almost twice the amount of money that Nintendo did. They don't give a fuck about Japan.
Spin however you want but Nintendo is selling way more hardware and first party software than Sony.

It isn't even close.

Kilau

lol "made more revenue"

Revenue is generated, not made. That means you don't get to keep it.

You're just spinning Sony's weak profit margins, which was my point.
Context is important before labeling them weak, they are 45% weaker than Nintendo but expenses were no doubt inflated being a launch year.

Nintendo also has some R&D expenditures going on, not sure if that’s last fiscal or current though.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Nintendo is beasting. Sony needs to do better in Japan. Overall good results.

Do Sony even fucking care? It pisses me off, because I got into Playstation for their STELLAR fucking JPN Lineup. SOTN, FF7, Suikoden, Silent Hill, Soul Blade, Ridge Racer, Legend of Legaia, Saga Frontier, Final Fantasy Tactics and sooooo many others I am not even mentioning... *Projectile vomit*

Nezzeroth

Do Sony even fucking care? It pisses me off, because I got into Playstation for their STELLAR fucking JPN Lineup. SOTN, FF7, Suikoden, Silent Hill, Soul Blade, Ridge Racer, Legend of Legaia, Saga Frontier, Final Fantasy Tactics and sooooo many others I am not even mentioning... *Projectile vomit*
I don't think any of those games was made by Sony, I don't see the difference.

Marty-McFly

Banned
We can see clearly in those graphs that Nintendo made more profit than PlayStation....AND they didn't put their exclusives on PC!!!

Looks like putting your games on PC is actually a BAD thing!
Can you imagine if Nintendo put their games on PC instead of MS and Sony?

The entire forum would be screaming they went third party.

Kind of funny that was the thing people were claiming Nintendo was going to do for the past 30 years. Guess the shoe is on the other foot now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Context is important before labeling them weak, they are 45% weaker than Nintendo but expenses were no doubt inflated being a launch year.

Nintendo also has some R&D expenditures going on, not sure if that’s last fiscal or current though.

This woudnt be 45% difference in profit margin.

6/16 for nintendo vs 3/25. So Sony has like 12% profit margin, while Nintendo ~38% profit margin. But profit margin is useless imo. Profits matter more.

b6a6es

Banned
lol "made more revenue"

They literally just released a new console at a loss (which they always reported loss at first year historically), so it’s historically unprecedented achievement for them

b6a6es

Banned
Point to be noted - Nintendo includes profit from their mobile games. Sony’s G&N doesn’t.
Don’t forget IP licenses outside of gaming from Merchandising, Toys etc like Pokemon

im actually shocked how people are comparing a Whole Company to a Single Division of a company and still circlejerking about it lmao

just for refrence Sony made 11 Billion $ in profits in FY2020, almost twice at much as Nintendo

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Can you imagine if Nintendo put their games on PC instead of MS and Sony?

The entire forum would be screaming they went third party.

Kind of funny that was the thing people were claiming Nintendo was going to do for the past 30 years. Guess the shoe is on the other foot now. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Less full exclusives makes the industry less interesting, less competitive and according to the results above...less profitable.

I wish people would look to Nintendo more, they have lasted this long and built their IP's to this stage for a reason.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think it's pretty impressive that Sony posted record profits in a year where they launched a brand new console at a loss

Launching a new console doesn't change the fact they still have close to 120M PS4 userbase where people keep spending money, PS+ has been constantly growing as well. PS5 production cost is most likely near the 499 mark, they wither make or lose a few bucks on each unit (more on DE obviously but they barely make those anyway), and the game's cost 70$, so if anything, the new console should boost the profits even further. There's really no need to spin this to make Sony look better than they already are, that's probably exactly what Layden meant when he said that their AAA development model is unsustainable, sure they make huge money, but they cost huge money to make as well, so not that much goes back to the pocket. Nintendo on the other hand offers basically indie-quality games at full 60$ price, which are never discounted, there are no sales, and on top of that their games do sell at 10-20M, even 30M units, so it literally prints money.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Wait. I just saw the other thread were it says Sony Japan business is a "grave concern"
This thread is about Sony worldwide.

You think they would have record breaking profits in Japan? :messenger_tears_of_joy: The Japan in the title is just referring to Sony being a Japanese company.

Last edited:

yurinka

Spin however you want but Nintendo is selling way more hardware and first party software than Sony.

It isn't even close.
I'm not spinning it, I'm just explaining you the truth: hardware and first party, and the topic of this thread (profit) are only a small portion of the whole picture. It needs to consider the revenue and costs, being the revenue the most important part. And this revenue and profit comes mostly from 3rd party games, not 1st party games or hardware.

We can see clearly in those graphs that Nintendo made more profit than PlayStation....AND they didn't put their exclusives on PC!!!

Looks like putting your games on PC is actually a BAD thing!
PlayStation also sell their new consoles at a loss, vs Nintendo selling their console at a very nice margin and sell games that are bizarrely praised for never getting discounted.
Not to mention all the R&D money Sony has spent developing the PS5 which will eat into profitability shortly after the console's launch.

Sony would make less profits regardless of whether their games were on PC or not.

Operating models are different. You should know this.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I'm not spinning it, I'm just explaining you the truth: hardware and first party, and the topic of this thread (profit) are only a small portion of the whole picture. It needs to consider the revenue and costs, being the revenue the most important part. And this revenue and profit comes mostly from 3rd party games, not 1st party games or hardware.
Show me the receipts about how much profit Sony is making from third party revenue and where they're investing it.

Your claims seem optimistic and dubious at best.

Azurro

Banned
lol "made more revenue"

Traditionally, whenever a console maker launched a console, a loss was incurred during that year as the new console is usually subsided for the first year or maybe two.

The fact that Sony had record profits during the launch of PS5 is pretty impressive. This doesn't even include Sony's smartphone gaming business.

Last edited:

Kilau

Launching a new console doesn't change the fact they still have close to 120M PS4 userbase where people keep spending money, PS+ has been constantly growing as well. PS5 production cost is most likely near the 499 mark, they wither make or lose a few bucks on each unit (more on DE obviously but they barely make those anyway), and the game's cost 70$, so if anything, the new console should boost the profits even further. There's really no need to spin this to make Sony look better than they already are, that's probably exactly what Layden meant when he said that their AAA development model is unsustainable, sure they make huge money, but they cost huge money to make as well, so not that much goes back to the pocket. Nintendo on the other hand offers basically indie-quality games at full 60$ price, which are never discounted, there are no sales, and on top of that their games do sell at 10-20M, even 30M units, so it literally prints money.
Nothing you said negates my point. The numbers are what they are, no spin.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Traditionally, whenever a console maker launched a console, a loss was incurred during that year as the new console is usually subsided for the first year or maybe two.

The fact that Sony had record profits during the launch of PS5 is pretty impressive. This doesn't even include Sony's smartphone gaming business.
The loss is usually incurred in years before the console is launched due to R&D, which is why Sony's profits are so much higher than the previous year, despite not selling that much hardware (due to shortages) and software.

Last edited:

Kerotan

For comparison the FY2020 revenues were:

Sony - 25BLN
Nintendo - 16BLN
Xbox - 12.5BLN
And people give out about PlayStation prices. Despite more revenue then Nintendo they make less profit. It's Nintendo they should be giving out about.

Kerotan

Nintendo is the greedest company. They make shit quality hardware( joycon and d-pad) and they sell 1:1 remasters at full prices. They can do more for the consumers.
Don't get me wrong I love seeing Nintendo in rude health but price wise Sony are saints compared to them. Just shows how silly the Sony bashing is.

nowhat

Nintendo is the greedest company. They make shit quality hardware( joycon and d-pad) and they sell 1:1 remasters at full prices. They can do more for the consumers.
That time-limited Mario bundle with Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy was such complete bullshit that any other company would have been burned at the stake immediately, yet Nintendo gets a free pass.

(and yes, I still ended up buying it myself, because they remain great games and I've no hardware anymore to play them on)

That time-limited Mario bundle with Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy was such complete bullshit that any other company would have been burned at the stake immediately, yet Nintendo gets a free pass.

(and yes, I still ended up buying it myself, because they remain great games and I've no hardware anymore to play them on)
They get a pass because on average people think the games are worth the price. Even us core gamers who shit on Nintendo for being lazy and greedy are still buying the games (see you as an example, and also me, I bought the bundle day 1).

Top Bottom