• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funimation is shutting down — and taking your digital library with it

Draugoth

Gold Member
dragon_ball_z_goku.jpeg

Funimation is shutting down on April 2nd, 2024. The anime streaming service will start migrating existing subscribers to Crunchyroll — a move that will not only affect subscription prices, but will also wipe digital libraries.

A support page on Funimation’s website says the service will automatically transfer existing subscribers to Crunchyroll, noting that the transfer “may vary depending on your specific payment platform, subscription type and region.” But the page — unhelpfully — doesn’t say how much subscribers will have to pay following the transition, only that legacy subscribers will see a price increase. You’ll have to check your email to see how much you’ll have to pay.

funimation_service_update.jpg

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Why in that service update does it indicate the price increase from USD to CAD? Not sure if I've ever seen a price increase change currencies before. Did they only list US prices up in Canada before?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Sorry, I’m missing the libraries part. Where does it say they don’t move? We have crunchy at home but I don’t use it myself so I’m not familiar with either service

Edit: found it

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is about digital copies. You buy a DVD or Blu-Ray and get a code for a digital copy. They still own it on DVD/BD.

Not even digital copies but some kind of streaming pass. But seeing as they already own the DVD or Bluray they can just use that.

This is why I'd never buy digital content from smaller/unproven platforms.

I feel confident that Apple is never going to delete everyone's content from iTunes/Apple TV, for example, but I would never build my library in VUDU as I don't have confidence in that platform staying around long-term.

The extra kick in the teeth is the price increase despite the Crunchyroll App still missing features that the Funimation App has.
MA2n.gif

Previous Funimation users like myself have been sold a worse and worse deal ever since the buyout. This is just another reason why it has been bad.

“Crunchyroll doesn’t support digital libraries”

Mother fuckers y’all literally designed the app.
They don't care. This has been known for a while for anyone who's a fan of dubs and it's just now hitting the eyes and ears of everyone else. Their dubbing situation(including release schedule and subtitle encoding for non-JP dubs) has been terrible and they still have yet to fix it at all since the Funimation buyout.

Regardless of what is said here about Funimation(especially where they started), they ran themselves like a legitimate business in the 2010s. Everything, on schedule, on time, all the time. No excuses. Crunchyroll still runs itself like a tech startup and it's been over 2 decades at this point since their increase in popularity.

We just accept it because they're the most popular guy in town that everyone flocks to, much like Twitch with streaming.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Firstly, fuck off.

Secondly, the Funimation dub of Dragon Ball Z is shit and the best version to get is original Toonami broadcast bootlegs.

>5 years ago you start a VERY public fight with one of your most famous talents over rumors, accusations and hearsay
>5 years later you shut down

LIKE POTTERY

Drew1440

I feel confident that Apple is never going to delete everyone's content from iTunes/Apple TV, for example, but I would never build my library in VUDU as I don't have confidence in that platform staying around long-term.

Apple already remove albums and songs from your library once they no longer have the rights to the music, you can't trust any of these 'digital' platforms.

Puscifer

one piece manga GIF

A mate of mine has over 1000 Blu-ray/dvd’s

I’m starting to regret selling all mine.
I mean I would get a disc holder at that point. But all it's taking is the threat, not even an actual downturn (YET) in the market to show how fickle these companies are with digital ownership.

Bojji

Imagine being one of those douchebags who celebrates the digital future. Not only will they own nothing, they will love it!

Today's reminder that if buying things isn't ownership, then piracy isn't stealing

I wonder if they are paid shills are just this clueless. You can lose "your purchases" any second literally, even companies like Sony, Ms and Nintendo are not immune to this in the long run. I have few games bought on ps3 store, what can I do with them at this point? Sony will shut down ps3 store this year or next so I won't be able to download them even if I buy another ps3, and even if I download them on this hypothetical console if something happens to HDD or console itself it's totally over. There is no access to it anywhere else.

CDP had more things in the past than CDPR and GOG, there was also CDP.pl store with digital games much cheaper compared to GOG (local prices basically), few years ago it was shut down and I lost access to Witcher 2 and gothic 3 that I "bought" there. I'm glad I didn't waste any more money on this.

Right now there are no regulations for digital market, everything is make believe. You don't own anything and they will never give you money back When you try to complain they will tell you that stuff you bought is not real (2k lawsuit in gaming thread) and that you can go fuck yourself.

“Crunchyroll doesn’t support digital libraries”

Mother fuckers y’all literally designed the app.
Sounds like they have no fucking clue, or maybe can't be bothered, to try and transfer everything over. So they spout this BS about it being not supported.

Hugare

Funimation sold digital copies of anime? Like PSN/Steam and etc? Or was it a subscription service like Netflix and Crunchyroll?

If it did, than it really sucks for those who spent money on their copies

If it didnt, then I dont see how it would change much going to Crunchyroll

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

I have tons of games I bought on Apple I Phone and cannot re-download. Lost. If I Phone comes out with a new update (which they do often), if a developer doesn't update the game then it won't run or be able to download. This is stupid as a lot of those developers are defunct and those games are old and SHOULD run on better hardware.

Stitch

Gold Member
Funimation sold digital copies of anime?
No, if you bought a DVD or Blu-ray they came with a code for a digital copy

This is about digital copies. You buy a DVD or Blu-Ray and get a code for a digital copy. They still own it on DVD/BD.

But reading is hard for GAFers

FeralEcho

Imagine being one of those douchebags who celebrates the digital future. Not only will they own nothing, they will love it!

Today's reminder that if buying things isn't ownership, then piracy isn't stealing
They won't love it, they'll cry like little bitches once they realize it's happening to them too.These morons say that only cuz it doesn't affect them yet but once it does...Oh will there be oceans of tears and realisations of what dumb cunts they were that it will echo through the fabric of time.

Top Bottom