• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funimation Content Moving to Crunchyroll for World’s Largest Anime Library

Draugoth

Gold Member
41af4cc9131bad872ac5a771572bc0181646095939_main.png

Huge news: Anime just powered up! Funimation, which serves millions of anime fans in over 52 countries and 10 languages, will be unifying under the Crunchyroll brand. This move will include Funimation’s subsidiary, Wakanim, as well as Crunchyroll’s VRV to create one subscription service for our anime fans worldwide.

LordCBH

Ugh why not the other way around….the Crunchyroll app is kinda dogshit and we JUST got a new Funimation app that actually works decently well like a year and a half ago…..what a clusterfuck

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Nice 1 sub again

funimation apps suck ass to so all good. might even upgrade to top tier so I can download stuff when my sub is up

Last edited:

Doom85

Ugh why not the other way around….the Crunchyroll app is kinda dogshit and we JUST got a new Funimation app that actually works decently well like a year and a half ago…..what a clusterfuck

Same, FUNimation’s app is far easier to navigate on PS4 than the Crunchyroll one.

Also, hope this doesn’t affect physical releases as FUNimation seems to always give their streaming series a BR release whereas Crunchyroll series aren’t always a guarantee. I like to always have access to anime I particularly enjoyed as streaming licenses aren’t guaranteed to last forever.

LordCBH

Same, FUNimation’s app is far easier to navigate on PS4 than the Crunchyroll one.

Also, hope this doesn’t affect physical releases as FUNimation seems to always give their streaming series a BR release whereas Crunchyroll series aren’t always a guarantee. I like to always have access to anime I particularly enjoyed as streaming licenses aren’t guaranteed to last forever.

I’m pretty sure Funimation as a company and as a physical release platform aren’t changing. They’re just offloading the streaming to someone else basically.

The VRV player beats both funimation and crunchyroll.
Any word on combined subscriptions?
Edit. Looks like if you have both you can go ahead and cancel Funimation and just keep Crunchyroll/VRV.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

This is surprising. I thought it would have been the other way around where Crunchyroll gets folded into Funimation. I guess Crunchy has a bigger brand perception.

PuffyCan

That's sad, the crunchyroll app is a mess, can't see shit since half the text is missing until you select it and since dubs are handled as if they were different seasons you have to go over each one before finding the right language. Worst part is funimation cost less than crunchyroll here

LordCBH

That's sad, the crunchyroll app is a mess, can't see shit since half the text is missing until you select it and since dubs are handled as if they were different seasons you have to go over each one before finding the right language. Worst part is funimation cost less than crunchyroll here

Yeah the Crunchyroll app is an absolute shitshow. The Funimation app is pretty good. ESPECIALLY from a feature stand point. Being able to change subtitle colors and backgrounds and size is big, as is being able to almost seamlessly change audio languages. This is a MASSIVE step back

YCoCg

Hope they improve the Crunchyroll app then, Funimation isn't amazing but I've had a lot less issues with it and it remains in HD without connection errors. Also slightly annoying as I was on the legacy package so I was only paying £49 a year for Funimation,. Crunchyroll is £80 a year. :messenger_confused:

slade

I'm glad they're moving over to Crunchyroll. If only because of the offline viewing on phones. I could never get offline viewing to work well on the Funimation App. 8 times out of 10 it would only download the dubbed version. And when I could get it to download the subbed version, it was a crapshoot of whether it would also download the subs. And when it did decide to download the subs, they were out of sync with the video by a second or two. Shit drove me bananas for a good bit before I just gave up.

I look forward to seeing Funimations catalogue of classics end up on Crunchyroll. Looking forward to seeing Scrapped Princess, Mars Daybreak and Heat Guy J on there.

K' Dash

It's really bizarre. I have near gig speed internet and the shit constantly drops quality.

not only that, the navigation is awful, the performance is abismal, using multiple devices with it is a fucking nightmare and to top it all, sometimes the thing won't even work at all.

I'm hoping Sony fixes it eventually.

Paltheos

Ouch. I didn't realize you guys had it so rough on apps. Crunchyroll on PC, at least, has felt more comfortable for a while but tbf I'm not a super avid user of Funimation. I think their PC interface had improved recently(?) but I remember it being terrible for a very long time and that being a major turnoff for me.

More on-topic, here comes the other shoe. I guess we all saw this coming eventually. Real question is how big the price hike will be since two revenue streams are being folded into one.

LordCBH

This is, hands down, the absolute worst video streaming app I have EVER used in terms of features and layout, it’s a decade behind the Funimation app. They’re migrating content to the absolute wrong app. They SHOULD be migrating to the app that has had actual development in the past 6 years
Nn3FmAa.jpg

Doom85

I’m surprised how many people here actually pay for anime.

Baka & AB + Plex.

Anime is a business. That shit don’t just appear for free. Supporting anime streaming series means they have more money to obtain anime licenses which goes to the license holders who fund the studios.

Hell, I’m pretty sure the rise in official anime streaming series must have at least helped a bit as to why we get way more anime per year. Like 2018 and 2019 had WAY more series than usual, 2020 slowed down due to obvious reasons, but then 2021 was back to even higher numbers. I mean, I doubt the anime fandom specifically living in Japan just massively increased in a year or two, so obviously international support must have played a role.

I’m not trying to push you to do it, but it shouldn’t be shocking that shows that need money to survive have fans who are spending money. Streaming, Blu-Rays, manga volumes, figures, etc. there’s plenty of ways to show support for the anime/manga industry.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
God I wish they had moved it over to funimation, the player while having its issues was night and day better than what crunchyroll provides. I mean for about 3 solid months in 2020 I remember the player just being outright broken and looping adds even though I had premium.

I haven't watched anime since high school and I'm pleasantly surprised to see adults watching it here. I suppose one of the reasons why I never returned was due to my bitterness of not being in high school anymore.

Mattyp

Gold Member
How shocking! People like to support something they enjoy. Something that involves hundreds or thousands of people to make.

I support them buying Manga direct or BRs not a subpar shitty streaming service like crunchyroll with poor sub work.

I shouldn’t be able to provide myself a better experience than the offical outlet.

sol_bad

I support them buying Manga direct or BRs not a subpar shitty streaming service like crunchyroll with poor sub work.

I shouldn’t be able to provide myself a better experience than the offical outlet.

No idea about these days but years ago before Crunchyroll existed, fansubs were not very good. Sometimes translations were too literal and sounded goofy. Crunchyroll subs translate things in a way that makes sense in the English language.

Funimation/Crunchyroll are good for series that I wouldn't buy on blu ray. Or for discovering new great shows that are worth buying on blu ray.

I guess my thread was deleted because this is the general Sony buyout thread now?

Anyway, as I was saying in that thread, I'm surprised no regulators have bothered to say anything about Sony's control of anime.

Doom85

Oh yeah, anime Blu-Rays are the biggest no brainer for me. Especially as anime only appears on even active streaming services as long as they keep renewing the license with the Japanese owner every time it comes to renew. Sure, mainstream anime like your Dragonball, One Piece, Demon Slayer, etc. are pretty much guaranteed to get renewed, but more obscure titles are less of a safe bet.

Top Bottom