• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Hearing: Xbox CFO Tim Stuart confirms the Nintendo Switch is an Xbox competitor and has impacted the price of Xbox Series S

PaintTinJr

TOM WARREN3:00 PM GMT-3
Nintendo Switch impacted Xbox Series S pricing.
We’re back on the Nintendo Switch beat again. I knew it would come eventually. Microsoft’s lawyer is questioning Xbox CFO Tim Stuart now.
Stuart confirms the Nintendo Switch is an Xbox competitor and has impacted the price of Xbox Series S:

jbareham_180301_2346_nintendo_switch_0014.jpg
But this ended up a complete nothing burger for the judge in the summation argument at closing.

The FTC lawyer - borrowing - the nexus of competition line from the Microsoft economic shill expert was able to convince her that hardware wise they didn't compete in that nexus, because most of the 9th gen AAA games market titles are missing from the Switch, and more importantly the evidence Microsoft submitted lacked financial analysis to back up that claim, unlike the analysis compared to the real competition.

Woopah

Honestly it just feels like you're arguing for the sake of arguing. They started using the "legacy edition" naming convention when they switched to the ignite engine on xbox one and Ps4 meaning they named everything else that wasn't ignite "legacy edition" (that included PSP, Vita, 3DS, Wii, PS2, everything). Then when they switched to frostbite they called the 360/PS3 versions on ignite legacy. For switch they created a new custom engine specifically for switch to match PS4/Xbox one. For Switch there was only 2018/2019. Then instead of updating that engine any further to match PS5 and Xbox Series features on Frostbite 3 that version was again "legacy" because of the difficulty of maintaining feature parity with the new consoles in 2020.

All this semantics doesn't make a lick of difference anyway because I don't understand your point. Them not naming Switch Fifa 18/19 "legacy" was in fact more like a curtesy to not lower their sales because it was a new custom engine they had created even if it was missing features in comparison to PS4/XBO. So that's what I'm confused about what exactly your point is, keep in mind this is where it all started, I said this:

and you just seem to be arguing about whatever you can now and I don't get where it's going. The Switch version, just like the PSP, Vita, gets the "legacy edition" due to not being able to keep up with engine/game development on the latest consoles, nothing more, nothing less. They didn't just start calling it legacy edition for shits and giggles.
My point was that EA should not do Legacy editions on Switch and actually make gameplay and mode updates, just like they used to do with the PSP. And that would be more effective at building an audience.

Celine

Nintendo isn't competing for the same dollars.

To say otherwise would be to admit that Nintendo days are numbered.
Nintendo is competing for the same dollars (the ones reserved by families for entertainment) and is outprofitting Sony Interactive Entertainment.
In actuality Nintendo was almost always more profitable than the PlayStation division.
W4iRE62.jpg

Nintendo dependence on a few first party games has been a recipe for disaster (N64, GC, 3DS, Wii U).
Nintendo first-party driven approach is what allow them to be the most profitable console manufacturer in history.
It caused some up and down due to their trendsetting vocation that didn't always pan out but overall it was handsomely remunerative.
That's very evident when looking at a cumulative graph (how infrequent and small the losses Nintendo incurred were while mostly bringing in profits):
caGI2XI.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
yeah I know, the gamecube was the very last nintendo console I owned. My point is they need to give it another go or atleast make a " hi spec" option to customers who want it. Id gladly take power of the modular mobility of the switch, if they gave me the choice. I cant be the only who feels that way

You aren't. I'm also waiting on that day. I think Nintendo could make billions if they made a Switch console that just ran everything at a higher resolution and frame rate.

Top Bottom