• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FSR 2.X implemented in 101 games

winjer

Gold Member

A pretty good number of games with support for the tech. And this doesn't even count the games that can be modded to use FSR 2.X
Too bad this number is much smaller for consoles games.

VTQSFlw.jpg

Mr Moose

Genshin when? Also, will Ghostwire receive 2.x console update? :pie_smiling_hearts:
Apparently Genshin has had it since November? I didn't see that shit... Let me check.
I had it turned on without knowing.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If console devs put it in their games, then DF will make a video and say the low resolution and they’ll get criticized for it

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Good. Need more of it on consoles especially. It's the best upscaling tech there is for them.

The Switch could benefit from it but I don't know how upscaling from a resolution as low as 720p/900p is going to look like.

ACESHIGH

Banned
GPUs like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 will remain relevant for modern games as long the latest games keep using this tech. High on life for example, should have been released with it.

Rayderism

OK, so....all these 100+ games with FSR......are they talking PC only, or does that include the next-gen consoles for all those games too? The article isn't clear on that point at all. I'm assuming they primarily mean PC as they also talk about DLSS which will never be on PS5 or XBOX, since they don't use nVidia GPUs.

Does this mean that all those games they listed have been (or will be) updated to include FSR on next-gen (well....current gen) consoles too?

All the searches I did on this subject are never clear about whether they mean PC, consoles, or both when they talk about FSR, but the way they talk about it makes me think they are only talking about PC. I own quite a few of those games on PS5 and I'd be very interested in re-visiting many of them if I knew they were recently updated with FSR.

Anybody got a list of console games that were updated to include (or currently utilize) FSR? No offense intended, but I don't care about PC games that use it.

Last edited:

Killer8

Good. Need more of it on consoles especially. It's the best upscaling tech there is for them.

The Switch could benefit from it but I don't know how upscaling from a resolution as low as 720p/900p is going to look like.

It could benefit. I use FSR on Steam Deck to upscale games from ~540p in handheld mode. I believe it just uses FSR1.0 and still produces excellent results even at that low a resolution.

Skifi28

I haven't really been impressed by the technology so far, but it's not bad either. It does its job of increasing the perceived resolution quite well, I just wish it was a little more stable in motion with fewer artifacts. At least we've reached the point where the positives outweigh the negatives (at least for me).

Edit: All that for the quality mode, the performance mode is honestly trash and not worth using yet.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's the "we have dlss at home" basically.

It is not half bad but it has ample margin of improvement.

FSR 2.2 is already pretty good.
DLSS is the best but only when comparing the best versions, as it's quality is all over the place.
Even recent versions of can be pretty bad, some with severe ghosting or blurriness.
But if used with a good version, the yes, DLSS 2.x is still the best.

GymWolf

FSR 2.2 is already pretty good.
DLSS is the best but only when comparing the best versions, as it's quality is all over the place.
Even recent versions of can be pretty bad, some with severe ghosting or blurriness.
But if used with a good version, the yes, DLSS 2.x is still the best.
I only tried fsr 2 or 2.1, the one available in asterigos, and 4k fsr was surely better than native 1440p, but still not on the level of dlss.

Never tried 2.2.

Does having an amd gpu has ANY performance gain with fsr over an nvidia gpu?

Trying to find any reason to convince my balls that a 6900xt for around 800 euros is the right choice for 4k60 without selling a lung and a testicle on the black market, but i fear that is not gonna be nearly enough for new games made with ue5 or just stuff that run better with nvidia hardware.
(I don't care about rtx)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
newest FSR solutions are okish. Similar to DLSS but worse in motion.
It is confisuing though that FSR can be few completely different things depending on version and implementation

winjer

Gold Member
I only tried fsr 2 or 2.1, the one available in asterigos, and 4k fsr was surely better than native 1440p, but still not on the level of dlss.

Never tried 2.2.

Does having an amd gpu has ANY performance gain with fsr over an nvidia gpu?

Trying to find any reason to convince my balls that a 6900xt for around 800 euros is the right choice for 4k60 without selling a lung and a testicle on the black market, but i fear that is not gonna be nearly enough for new games made with ue5 or just stuff that run better with nvidia hardware.
(I don't care about rtx)

FSR 2.2 has only been used in a couple of games. Like forza Horizon 5 and the new Need for Speed.
AMD hasn't released the source code yet, so we can't even mod it into games.
Compared to FSR 2.1, it's a small improvement. The big improvement was 2.0 to 2.1, especially with regards to ghosting.
But DLSS 2.4.6 is still better than any FSR version.

As far as I can tell, FSR 2.x is well optimized. So it runs as well on AMD, NVidia or Intel.

A 6900Xt for 800 euros doesn't seem like a good deal.
During Black Friday, I got a 6800XT for 560 euros. And it's only 10% slower than the 6900XT.
I don't know about your country, but here, I found some stores selling a 6800XT for 660 euros. And with Calisto Protocol and Dead Island 2 included.

GymWolf

FSR 2.2 has only been used in a couple of games. Like forza Horizon 5 and the new Need for Speed.
AMD hasn't released the source code yet, so we can't even mod it into games.
Compared to FSR 2.1, it's a small improvement. The big improvement was 2.0 to 2.1, especially with regards to ghosting.
But DLSS 2.4.6 is still better than any FSR version.

As far as I can tell, FSR 2.x is well optimized. So it runs as well on AMD, NVidia or Intel.

A 6900Xt for 800 euros doesn't seem like a good deal.
During Black Friday, I got a 6800XT for 560 euros. And it's only 10% slower than the 6900XT.
I don't know about your country, but here, I found some stores selling a 6800XT for 660 euros. And with Calisto Protocol and Dead Island 2 included.
Dude, if i'm unsure about a 6900 for 4k60, sure as hell i'm not gonna even think about a 6800:lollipop_grinning_sweat:, it only goes up a tier from that gpu, not lower.

In italy the prices are fucked up, around 1300-1400 euros for a 3090, 1700 for a ti.

600 to 900 euros less for something that kinda perform like those 2 is the best deal i can do right now, but i'm not convinced that this gpu is gonna be enough for 4k60 for at least 3-4 years where right now even a 4090 is not enough to bruteforce broken games (that are still gonna get released in the next years)

NOTHING is a good deal in italy, i can only search for the deal that let me use more vaseline when they fuck my ass, during black friday the gpus were the only thing with shitty offers on amazon.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Dude, if i'm unsure about a 6900 for 4k60, sure as hell i'm not gonna even think about a 6800:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

In italy the prices are fucked up, around 1300-1400 euros for a 3090, 1700 for a ti.

600 to 900 euros less for something that kinda perform like those 2 is the best affair i can do right now, but i'm not convinced that this gpu is gonna be enough for 4k60 for at least 3-4 years where right now even a 4090 is not enough to bruteforce broken games (that are still gonna get released in the next years)

NOTHING is a good deal in italy, i can only search for the deal that let me use more vaseline when they fuck my ass, during black friday the gpus were the only thing with shitty offers on amazon.

For 4K60, a 6800XT is enough, especially with so many games using FSR 2.X, TAAU and TSR. As long as you don't turn on ray-tracing.
The 6900XT is just 10% faster. That is the kind of thing you can claw back with overclocking.
Hardly any GPU can last 4 years, at such high resolution. Unless you lower some settings.

average-fps_3840-2160.png

BTW, on amazon Italy, there is a XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, for 650 euros. At this price range, you will not find anything better.

x1

VN1X

Banned
I recently got a 6800XT, my return to the red team since about two decades.

How does FSR work in practice? I have a 1440p 165hz display. Is the idea that you knock the resolution down to 1080p and then by enabling FSR it will upscale it to 1440p or higher?

winjer

Gold Member
I recently got a 6800XT, my return to the red team since about two decades.

How does FSR work in practice? I have a 1440p 165hz display. Is the idea that you knock the resolution down to 1080p and then by enabling FSR it will upscale it to 1440p or higher?

That is FSR 1.0, a spatial upscaler, on the vein of DLSS 1.0 or NIS.
It doesn't have the same quality of a temporal upscaler like DLSS 2.X, FSR 2.X, TAAU and TSR.

GymWolf

For 4K60, a 6800XT is enough, especially with so many games using FSR 2.X, TAAU and TSR. As long as you don't turn on ray-tracing.
The 6900XT is just 10% faster. That is the kind of thing you can claw back with overclocking.
Hardly any GPU can last 4 years, at such high resolution. Unless you lower some settings.

average-fps_3840-2160.png

BTW, on amazon Italy, there is a XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, for 650 euros. At this price range, you will not find anything better.
I get what you say, but i'm spending big money on this build and i don't wanna go cheap on the most important part, i'm mentally ready to burn 1000 euros but not more than that, chosing amd over nvidia is a big negative for me already because usually the games i like run better on nvidia hardware, i'm never gonna go lower than a 6900.
(Also i don't like to overclock so that is not a viable option)

I guess my best chance is to wait for a super deal on a 3090ti\4080 16gb but they are never gonna get close to 800-1000 euros...

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I get what you say, but i'm spending big money on this build and i don't wanna go cheap on the most important part, i'm mentalky ready to burn 1000 euros butcnot more than that, chosing amd over nvidia is a big negative for me already because usually the games i like run better on nvidia hardware.

I guess my best chance is to wait for a super occasion on a 3090ti\4080 16gb but they are never gonna get close to 800 euros...

Then you might consider a 3080 12GB for 1050. There are a couple of them at that price at amazon right now.

GymWolf

Then you might consider a 3080 12GB for 1050. There are a couple of them at that price at amazon right now.
How so? Does a 3080ti perform noticeably better than a 6900xt?

Or you are saying this because i told you that i prefer nvidia?

winjer

Gold Member
How so? Does a 3080ti perform noticeably better than a 6900xt?

Or you are saying this because i told you that i prefer nvidia?

Because you said that you prefer NVidia.
They should perform similarly in rasterization. But the 3080 12Gb will be significantly better with RT.

Ev1L AuRoN

Does FSR function like DLSS or is it an entirely different system?
They work with temporal data, but DLSS uses tensor cores and ML to reconstruct the image, FSR in quality mode is decent in higher resolutions but very poor in 1080p. IMHO can't compete with DLSS in performance mode in any resolution, DLSS is the only tech that can output a convincing 4k image out of a 1080p source.

VN1X

Banned
That is FSR 1.0, a spatial upscaler, on the vein of DLSS 1.0 or NIS.
It doesn't have the same quality of a temporal upscaler like DLSS 2.X, FSR 2.X, TAAU and TSR.
Ok but what does FSR2.0 (or higher) do then?

WHAT CAN IT DO FOR ME WINJER?!

Last edited:

GymWolf

They should perform similarly in rasterization. But the 3080 12Gb will be significantly better with RT.
I dont really like that combo 200+ euros price difference\4gb less than vram.

winjer

Gold Member
I dont really like that combo 200+ euros price difference\4gb less than vram.

Remember that DLSS also reduces vram usage.
DLSS quality is the only setting I would recommend for 1080p and 1440p.
But for 4K, balanced and even performance modes are very usable.
Those 200€ extra, will get you better RT performance and a better upscaler.

But still, for best price/performance, the 6800XT at 660€ is still the best option. And you get 2 free games.

Another option is to wait for the RTX 4070 Ti. It has an MSRP of 800$, so it should be around 1000-1100 euros.

BTW, some RTX 3000 cards now also come bundled with Marvel’s Midnight Suns.

Consider also that Amazon has a very lenient return policy. You can buy any of these cards, use it for under 30 days, and if you think it's worth it, you can return it very easily.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Remember that DLSS also reduces vram usage.
DLSS quality is the only setting I would recommend for 1080p and 1440p.
But for 4K, balanced and even performance modes are very usable.
Those 200€ extra, will get you better RT performance and a better upscaler.

But still, for best price/performance, the 6800XT at 660€ is still the best option. And you get 2 free games.

Another option is to wait for the RTX 4070 Ti. It has an MSRP of 8000$, so it should be around 1000-1100 euros.
I'm watching videos of the 6900xt and it can barely keep 4k60 in some old games without rtx like rdr2 (56 avg), only 69 avg on god of war...

I really can't buy anything below these performance and even those are sketchy if you think that those games were made with a ps4 in mind.

It doesn't inspire much confidence for future games...

It looks like i have to spend 1500 euros for a REAL 4k gpu :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I saw those but they are pny and zotac, not exactly the best brands, also not even sold by amazon so no good rma in case i have problems.

Do you know if asrock is a good brand for amd gpus?

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I saw those but they are pny and zotac, not exactly the best brands, also not even sold by amazon so no good rma in case i have problems.

Do you know if asrock is a good brand for amd gpus?

Asrock has a good reputation.
But as most brands, they have a few tiers of quality models.

scalman

tried it on gtx 1060 6gb laptop and cb 2077 getting about 5-10fps increase with it so its pretty good on this mediocre gpu .. i mean when you jump from like 26fps to 32-35 its allready feels better. and i dont do medium or lower setting so its all on high and 1080p .
those worst situations run on 30 ish fps , other places and scenes could go upt to 40 , 50 fps ... it depends.
and its kinda looks better then native 1080p i would say , much better crisper image less noise on objects. win win
same with no mans sky .. that has only 2.0 i guess still its much better then native..
and nvidia solutions dont excist for non rt cards so amd its only solution and its good solution ... its best. its free its just works ...
so AMD saving old nvidia gpu's , when nvidia itself just dont give a shit i guess... just buy new 4 series gpu ..thats only way for them ...

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
tried it on gtx 1060 6gb laptop and cb 2077 getting about 5-10fps increase with it so its pretty good on this mediocre gpu .. i mean when you jump from like 26fps to 32-35 its allready feels better. and i dont do medium or lower setting so its all on high and 1080p .
those worst situations run on 30 ish fps , other places and scenes could go upt to 40 , 50 fps ... it depends.
and its kinda looks better then native 1080p i would say , much better crisper image less noise on objects. win win
same with no mans sky .. that has only 2.0 i guess still its much better then native..
and nvidia solutions dont excist for non rt cards so amd its only solution and its good solution ... its best. its free its just works ...

Some games have FSR2.0, but also have DLSS2, meaning it can be moded to uses FSR 2.1
Try it out, it might be worth the effort.

scalman

and in that amd video they showed that ubisoft games should support soon too .. they showed division videos as i remember. would be nice to get some ump for division 1,2 i love them , and playing only solo , have over 500hrs on D2 for now.
will try nms 2.1 mod maybe see is it any diff..

so NMS picture is much sharper with game menu FSR 2.0 on guality then FSR 2.1 mod as DLSS on quality, picture is more blurry or like on some dof effect as some areas looks more crisp and other more blurry .. but in all it doesnt gives any fps boost just worse image so not worth it at least on my settings. most high /ultra on 1080p . but in all those upscalers gives just couple fps boost well maybe 5fps... depends where you look and whats going on .. hard to measure as its living worlds allways something happens allways lighting changes and such...

Last edited:

daninthemix

Better than nothing, but the recent update to Judgment that added DLSS shows how dramatically superior it is to FSR. The increase in detail and sharpness was enormous.

scalman

Well allways pick best option that is working with your gpu for sure... I would. Like with 4090 you just dont care..
I play games when they dont lag is ok for me so like 30 fps is fine as i play single player only games and not fps games unless its far cry or dying light games ...so not shooters. And im fine as it is . Most games i allmost max on 1080p on this laptop and its fine.. but if i could get better image and it runs more smooth , thats a win. So its not just better then nothing it can be game changer like going from 26fps to 32fps its big deal like in cb2077 and i still played that game like 4 times allready on native 1080p tilp now. But now its just little better so win here...

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
So it sounds like, in general, FSR can't hold a candle to DLSS, right? Like FSR might increase image quality but it has nowhere near the gains of DLSS. I'd consider myself a nerd and even I can't keep track of all the FSR and DLSS versions and their pros and cons.

When I turn on FSR in Modern Warfare 2 on PS5, it basically looks like I turned up the "sharpness" setting on my monitor with no discernable difference in performance. Whereas DLSS on Cyberpunk on my 3080 makes the framerate leap by like 20fps with no discernable difference in image quality from DLSS Off.

Then when I go to the menu in Callisto Protocol, I am made sad because DLSS is not an option and probably never will because the game was sponsored by AMD. This makes me resent AMD for locking me out of a free DLSS performance boost that I could be getting with my more-than-capable 3080.

I know this is asking a lot, but if anyone could school me on FSR and DLSS, or can point me to a recent video analysis of them, I'd very much appreciate it.

Edit: I think this video shows what I was looking for:

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
So it sounds like, in general, FSR can't hold a candle to DLSS, right? Like FSR might increase image quality but it has nowhere near the gains of DLSS. I'd consider myself a nerd and even I can't keep track of all the FSR and DLSS versions and their pros and cons.

When I turn on FSR in Modern Warfare 2 on PS5, it basically looks like I turned up the "sharpness" setting on my monitor with no discernable difference in performance. Whereas DLSS on Cyberpunk on my 3080 makes the framerate leap by like 20fps with no discernable difference in image quality from DLSS Off.

Then when I go to the menu in Callisto Protocol, I am made sad because DLSS is not an option and probably never will because the game was sponsored by AMD. This makes me resent AMD for locking me out of a free DLSS performance boost that I could be getting with my more-than-capable 3080.

I know this is asking a lot, but if anyone could school me on FSR and DLSS, or can point me to a recent video analysis of them, I'd very much appreciate it.

Edit: I think this video shows what I was looking for:

If you want to teste performance, Cyberpunk 2077 has both FSR2.1 and DLSS2.4. Even on a 3080, you will find that they are within a couple of fps in performance.
Comparing performance of FSR2 on a console to DLSS on a PC is just dumb. Consoles usually will target a fixed frame rate, with dynamic resolution. PC's usually target a fixed resolution with variable frame rate.
DLSS is still king in terms of image quality, compared to anything else in the market. Including, TAAU, TSR, FSR2 and XeSS.
But FSR 2.1 gave a big improvement in image quality, and FSR 2.2 improved it even further.
That video from DF has the problem of covering FSR 2.0, which is a bit old now. It also has problems regarding the performance numbers, as they are incorrect and different from all other reviews of the time.
Both AMD, NVidia and Intel have their deals to implement their tech in certain games. Unfortunately, this can exclude certain tech from certain games. But at least FSR2 can run on all GPUs.

A good place for comparisons with FSR and DLSS is Techpowerup, as they usually do a writeup about it, with images and video.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
If you want to teste performance, Cyberpunk 2077 has both FSR2.1 and DLSS2.4. Even on a 3080, you will find that they are within a couple of fps in performance.
Comparing performance of FSR2 on a console to DLSS on a PC is just dumb. Consoles usually will target a fixed frame rate, with dynamic resolution. PC's usually target a fixed resolution with variable frame rate.
DLSS is still king in terms of image quality, compared to anything else in the market. Including, TAAU, TSR, FSR2 and XeSS.
But FSR 2.1 gave a big improvement in image quality, and FSR 2.2 improved it even further.
That video from DF has the problem of covering FSR 2.0, which is a bit old now. It also has problems regarding the performance numbers, as they are incorrect and different from all other reviews of the time.
Both AMD, NVidia and Intel have their deals to implement their tech in certain games. Unfortunately, this can exclude certain tech from certain games. But at least FSR2 can run on all GPUs.

A good place for comparisons with FSR and DLSS is Techpowerup, as they usually do a writeup about it, with images and video.

Thanks--didn't know that FSR had improved that much since then. I checked out the two sources below looking at DLSS 2.4 vs FSR 2.2 on Forza Horizon 5. Like you said, the performance on similar 4K settings are roughly equal. To my eyes, it looks like DLSS actually has more aliasing on straight lines but that FSR achieves less aliasing by having less detail (kind of blurry). Aliasing stands out to me so I might actually prefer FSR 2.2 in that specific case.

Video: Techpowerup article: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/forza-horizon-5-dlaa-vs-dlss-vs-fsr-2-2-comparison/

scalman

Bigest thing fsr dont need any rt cores so any gpu will work. Not too weak gpu sure but dlss is limited on those rt cards only . And for fsr 2.1 guality is so big leap from 1.0 that im rly interested what 3.0 could bring .
And fsr 2.1 guality matches dlss 2. Quality on most titles and performance as well...maybe not as good in everything but its very diff thing...it doesnt need rt cores... So yh ....maybe its not as much diff like from 30 fps go to 40 or from 40 to 50 i mean it runs ok ...but like going from 26-28 fps to like 35-40 fps thats big bump...like you run smoother ...its just better...
And then for consoles its a big deal too...as they can use it.. or steam deck..is like game changer for steam deck
And then again just use whats looks and works best with your card... Thats all..
And those intel arc cards....ohhh i wish they could make laptops with them...

Last edited:
Top Bottom