• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola Calls Marvel Movies 'Despicable' After Martin Scorsese's Critique

sol_bad

You are in so much denial it is amazing.

The fact that the biggest name in the MCU is Kevin Feige, not a director, is proof enough alone that it operates via a formula. There is a well established pacing rhythm that pretty much all the MCU movies follow. It’s not a question of plot similarities.

Thank you for not providing any proof what so ever? What is this pacing rhythm you speak of?

Paltheos

Yeah, 'despicable' is too far. I mean, ideologically, strictly speaking, it's a valid point of view, but in that case that viewpoint is so disconnected from reality that it's of no considerable value.

Watching popcorn flicks is ok because we're human beings. Do I think that there's way too much of it and there's way too much crap? Absolutely. But don't bag on the concept of it, man.

eot

Banned
I mostly agree, those movies have nothing for me and it's a bummer that they've taken over cinema

Sorcerer

Its the old guard getting insecure about the new guys basically. Truly masters in their time and i doubt cinema will ever hit the heights of the 70's again. But movies are made for the people who want to see those movies. Long, thoughtful dramas are a tough sell in the smartphone age. Both of these guys just need to shut up and bow out gracefully, knowing that their legacies will probably never be matched. What more could you ask for? If the audience demands trash they will get trash (not talking superhero movies here, just cinema in general), that's not on either of them, but they both need to just keep quiet. History will sort out the truth in its own time.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

mcjmetroid

You're joking me if you think the Marvel movies quality wise come anywhere close to Godfather or most of Scorsese's movies.

Even DC came closer with the Dark Knight Trilogy and The joker most recently.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its the old guard getting insecure about the new guys basically. Truly masters in their time and i doubt cinema will ever hit the heights of the 70's again. But movies are made for the people who want to see those movies. Long, thoughtful dramas are a tough sell in the smartphone age. Both of these guys just need to shut up and bow out gracefully, knowing that their legacies will probably never be matched. What more could you ask for? If the audience demands trash they will get trash (not talking superhero movies here, just cinema in general), that's not on either of them, but they both need to just keep quiet. History will sort out the truth in its own time.

Best part of being old is not giving a fuck about what the "kids" think of your opinion!

Age also gives you perspective on how fleeting pop culture greatness is in most instances. What's truly great is rarely what's hottest in the moment, its what endures over time. And I absolutely guarantee you that most Marvel movies are going to be forgotten within a decade.

Yes, this whole superhero cycle will be remembered, but like most of the 60's "cool" spy/secret agent movies that came along in the aftermath of Bond movies, the individual works will quickly fall into obscurity. Hell, I suspect that if you asked most people nowadays to name as many 60's Bond movies as they remember most people would struggle to get past one or two.

I have a really hard time enjoying modern mindless cinema. I have to really be in the right mood to just shut off mentally.

I'm not judging the scene as "bad", but it's not really for me.

GermanZepp

I saw Logan in tv while eating dinner the other day. I didn't knew it was THAT bad. In the Joker movie i liked Phoenix acting. The movie was predictable and little slow thought.

Bakkus

Michael can't be taken seriously with Al's residual Tony Montana voice, Sofia's casting is nepotism incarnate, and its existence is not only unnecessary... but diminishes the power of the first two movies.
Sofia was casted as a last resort because the original actor planned for the role was murdered. IIRC Sofia didn't even want to do it, but Francis begged her.

sol_bad

I mostly agree, those movies have nothing for me and it's a bummer that they've taken over cinema

How can they have taken over cinema when 95% of films released are not comic related. Anyone that thinks this needs to broaden their horizons.

I love their movies and fair enough if that's their opinion but I think they taking it far to seriously. It's not like comic book movies make their movies irrelevant.

MCU / comic book movies are harmless entertainment, pretty awesome entertainment in some cases and I enjoy them just as much as classic cinematic masterpieces, or low budget B movie horror and Sci-Fi, as long as it's entertaining, that's all that really matters to me.

Audiophile

I'd say there's distinctly different types of cinema, Marvel movies for the most part fall in the category of "roller-coaster rides"; it doesn't categorically take away from the talent or artistic integrity required to make them; as is evident simply by the fact that there are shit examples and brilliant examples. They're just different.

I'd like to see Scorsese's and co's take on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, as yes, they're based on comic books but they're distinct, cinematic and self-contained. They feel set so far apart from the Marvel "let's mash everything together" approach.

Saying all that, I think there are some exceptions in the MCU that genuinely stand as "Cinema" vs the "Theme Park" movies that make up most of it. I'd say Sony/Raimi's Spidey films, Fox's Deadpool/X-Men takes and a handful of Marvel/Paramount/Disney MCU movies (Iron Man 1, Winter Soldier for eg.).

Last edited:

bryo4321

This is getting fun.

Benedict Cumberbatch has a good take, and I think he’s seeing things for what they really are tbh. Couldn’t care less what Bob Iger has to say though.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
On the one hand, it’s guys like FFC and MS that laughed the idea of a comic book movie right out of the room. No one was willing to touch a superhero not named Superman or Batman. I had to wait until I was out of college before I got to see my first comic book favs hitting the big screen (x-men). So, fuck people like that for not taking superheroes seriously.

On the other hand, I’ve seen every comic book hero I loved show up in the movies. There’s no one good left. I’ve had my fill. I’m burned out after 20 years.

Now, I’m wondering if we’ll ever get the kind of variety we had in the 80s & 90s with our summer blockbusters. Of all the movies coming out next year there isn’t a single comic book movie I’m excited about seeing. I’m starting to see why filmmakers want to see something different take the spotlight for a change.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
This is getting fun.

Benedict Cumberbatch looks like a shaved rat.... with liver problems

keraj37

I dont know how anyone can have fun with these shalow and stupid movies but I know people differ so let it be.

I can watch that dressed like clowns super humans only 2 min before I turnoff the movie.

I admit that I watch some of marvel movies only coz they have super ratings and 2 minutes deep into the movie I know that rating is either fixed or done my lesser iteligent teen boys.

ruvikx

Banned
Its the old guard getting insecure about the new guys basically.

I'd say it's the Marvel people who totally insecure. They're just standard Hollywood popcorn superhero flicks with a "design by committee" checklist which includes priorities based upon selling toys, movie tickets & using current year politics (Hello Captain Marvel) to create buzz. Superhero movies are basically the buddie cop flicks of our era.

Marvel swims in the Roland Emmerich/Michael Bay/Star Wars/Lethal Weapon "mindless money making franchise blockbuster" genre. I mean cool, I guess? I've enjoyed that stuff myself on many occasions, but I wouldn't get all belligerent, angsty & petulant just because some people don't like the same toys aka "movies".

eot

Banned
How can they have taken over cinema when 95% of films released are not comic related. Anyone that thinks this needs to broaden their horizons.
Clearly what's meant is that they've taken over a certain subset of cinema that used to have a broader range of stuff

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I dont know how anyone can have fun with these shalow and stupid movies but I know people differ so let it be.
i mean i like a McDonald's burger now and again. some cheap fun is fine. nothing wrong with that at all. but you'd have to be out of your mind to go into a 5 star restaurant and tell the chef a fast food burger is the same thing as what they are making.

demanding everyone enjoy them and appreciate them, that is the silly shit. MCU stans already have a multimillion dollar corporation who showers you with half a dozen movies a year, they have achieved global hegemony already, financial and cultural domination, and they can't stand an old fart having opinions? they don't just want the world they want complete and utter 100% acceptance. it's silly.

most people have an experience when they are kids and learn someone doesn't like Spiderman or Batman the same way they do. they get over it, they learn that maybe not everything has to be enjoyed by everyone. apparently, we live in an era where grown adults cannot accept this fact. everyone has to love the same movies. it's absurd.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
My disdain for Disney has been growing stronger over the past few years, and at this point I find it trivially easy to simply not watch their modern output and opt for classics and other things instead. Maybe it's harder if you have kids, I'd still try to fight the beast though and just show my kids older things, there is a ridiculous amount of pre-woke content out there and keeping up with the Jones's in terms of media consumption has little positive value I think.

Sorcerer

My disdain for Disney has been growing stronger over the past few years, and at this point I find it trivially easy to simply not watch their modern output and opt for classics and other things instead. Maybe it's harder if you have kids, I'd still try to fight the beast though and just show my kids older things, there is a ridiculous amount of pre-woke content out there and keeping up with the Jones's in terms of media consumption has little positive value I think.
All empires fall eventually. I am curios as to when and how it will happen for Disney, probably won't even see it my lifetime.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
interestingly enough one of the few movies they are allowing to remain showing is Rocky Horror Picture Show. which is a musical about transexuals!

so in case anyone is doubting who is making the calls here. Alien. bad. Rocky Horror. good.

Top Bottom