• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Martin Scorsese's views on cinema being theme parks is perfectly applicable about half of the game industry

Skelterz

So my opinion is warped because it doesn’t align with yours?

Helluva post there, bud.
😂 No it’s because if you can’t understand Art comes in many forms other than let’s say paintings then your a towel.

it’s not even an opinion either I think most people would agree buddy that games can be considered art your original comment was flippant.

kyussman

Yea,that Avengers game was a great example....from the minute it was announced as a co-op game it was obvious it only existed to leech money from it's players,the actual game was an afterthought.

Bragr

Banned
Who cares. What matters is how people enjoy the film

You have elitist journalists have a film rotten tomato scores at 30% while the audience scores are at 90% and vice versa.

That’s what makes both film and game industry amazing. They can satisfy both cravings if you know where to look for them.

Pretty selfish if you only think about yourself.
This sort of simple stuff is exactly why he was right. Enjoyment is a bullshit metric, its like saying sugar is great because it tastes good. Enjoyment is cheap, entertainment is cheap, and can be found everywhere. What matters is products that offer entertainment and something more, thats the reason for art, not fun.

killatopak

Gold Member
This sort of simple stuff is exactly why he was right. Enjoyment is a bullshit metric, its like saying sugar is great because it tastes good. Enjoyment is cheap, entertainment is cheap, and can be found everywhere. What matters is products that offer entertainment and something more, thats the reason for art, not fun.
First time I’ve heard games doesn’t revolve around enjoyment or fun. Enjoyment or fun factor doesn’t even mean kiddy games or the sort. Enjoyment can be found when evoking emotion to the consumer as well.

News flash, gaming and watching film IS cheap. In the grand scheme of hobbies, they’re at the very low end of the spectrum. This isn’t some million dollar painting or sculpture that can’t be seen in a museum and appreciated in person.

As I said it’s pretty selfish of you to think that I would even enjoy those thought provoking pieces of film, literature or games. What if I want is just some trashy button masher cause I don’t want to think and just want to spend my limited time to relax?

It’s one thing to prefer one kind over the other but it’s another to completely disregard them.

Arcadialane

Agreed, a very old, stale, flat rollercoaster. It seems like game developers don't even have a desire to do anything creative or interesting at the moment.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
fOoD aNaLoGy

Bragr

Banned
First time I’ve heard games doesn’t revolve around enjoyment or fun. Enjoyment or fun factor doesn’t even mean kiddy games or the sort. Enjoyment can be found when evoking emotion to the consumer as well.

News flash, gaming and watching film IS cheap. In the grand scheme of hobbies, they’re at the very low end of the spectrum. This isn’t some million dollar painting or sculpture that can’t be seen in a museum and appreciated in person.

As I said it’s pretty selfish of you to think that I would even enjoy those thought provoking pieces of film, literature or games. What if I want is just some trashy button masher cause I don’t want to think and just want to spend my limited time to relax?

It’s one thing to prefer one kind over the other but it’s another to completely disregard them.
I'm not saying that games don't revolve around enjoyment or fun. Nor that it has to be thought-provoking. A trashy button masher can be amazing like anything else. A trashcan can be as beautiful as a Da Vinci.

Games and movies can be just as good as anything else. The problem is, they aren't allowed to be because of attitudes like you are displaying here, "everything is cheap, I don't care as long as it's fun."

What we are talking about here, is that products that are made for the lowest common denominator, they rather make 300 Madden's than 1 Bioshock.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck that old sack..
his latest work on nextflix

Was a pretentious bag of shit
That should have lasted 1 hour instead of 5

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Every time I’m slowly walking next to a NPC while they spout exposition at me and things happen in the background I think of this quote. the forced walk and chat is the worst trend in AAA gaming.

ripeavocado

Banned
TLDR: Games are more and more built before writers and directors even get to see the product. The human touch is lost, ideas and crafting unique player experiences mean less and less in the triple-A market as more games are designed after models about player attraction and franchise cultivation. This is nothing new of course, but it's starting to dominate the market to a larger extent.

Martin Scorsese created a lot of discussion by calling the Marvel movies theme parks, the idea that some movies are made from a perspective of finance rather than ideas, they are made to feed the franchise and sell merchandise. It's the Coca-Cola of movies, fun and thrilling but safe, forgettable, and expected. Human stories, meaning, reason, it has no bearing on the product, it's already planned out before the director even gets to work on it. Everything is made on a formula.

It's the same shit with some of the games from companies like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft (not all of course, but too many). Call of Duty, sports titles, free-to-play, Apex Legends, Fortnite, this new Ubisoft shooter, all of this stuff is designed after player attraction and trends, nobody drawing up these games is trying to say something meaningful, touching, powerful, or anything like that.

Just look at games like Anthem, Fallout 76, or the new Avengers games from Crystal Dynamics. What a hell are these games about? what are these games? what is the reason for these to get made other than cashing in? there is nothing human in these games at all, it's just drivel that they hope you waste time and money on.

Scorsese is right.

Marvel movies are mostly shit and the best ones are no masterpieces but alright entertaining movies.

Modern games are the same but worse: they have microtransactions ad additctive mechanics.

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm not saying that games don't revolve around enjoyment or fun. Nor that it has to be thought-provoking. A trashy button masher can be amazing like anything else. A trashcan can be as beautiful as a Da Vinci.

Games and movies can be just as good as anything else. The problem is, they aren't allowed to be because of attitudes like you are displaying here, "everything is cheap, I don't care as long as it's fun."

What we are talking about here, is that products that are made for the lowest common denominator, they rather make 300 Madden's than 1 Bioshock.
What exactly is stopping people from making more Bioshocks? Hell, we’re having Bioshock 4 soon. What’s stopping people making another Blade Runner? Oh, wait we have that already.

Maddens and Marvel movies are easy to make because they already have an outline via comics or are iterative with little changes due to the real life rules having little changes themselves. These Bioshocks and Da Vincis are a lot harder to produce because they require time and careful thinking and I’m fine with that. It’s easier to appreciate greatness when covered in a sea of mediocrity.

MCU seldom if ever take advantage of the medium (how the shots are set up, stakes, character arcs, story beats, themes). Even so called popcorn movies, superhero or otherwise, can have the stuff in parentheses. There is practically no creator thumbprint, as everything, from the color palette to the directorial intent, is mandated/meddled with from the top.

There are never apples to apples comparisons between video games and other less interactive media, but the design by committee mentality exists in both, just manifested differently.

Nico_D

You have a point but when one form of Art starts to become more prominent than the other due to it being a more financially gainful project you lose the beauty of art itself, The idea isn’t elite it’s a man passionate about a craft that’s being monetised marvel films for better or worse are essentially call of duty you don’t have to play but guess what Activision sure ain’t developing Spyro.

I don't think anything happens to art itself whether it is profitable or not. What happens, in my opinion, is that when people see that somethng is profitable, in their eyes art piece loses some credibility and some of it's status as "art". Personally, I don't think so, I see these two things as completely separate.

Also, I don't really care for the distinction of art and entertainment. I think everything that is created through process of creativity is one form of art. It may not please those who do other kind of art and think their view or version of "art" is better than other person's. But to me, that just seems like putting yourself on a pedestal and putting others down. Naturally, I have my preferred art form/style too but I don't have a need to say that other forms of arts aren't art at all. Live and let live.

TonyK

I think that also applies to music, comic, books, everything. I played a thousand of games in 40 years and I only consider true Art a bunch of them, not even ten games. I adore games, films, comics, books, but they are mainly entertainment products. And that's fine.

EE8rqep.gif

Top Bottom