• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Attack on Titan editor arrested in murder of wife in Tokyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tokyo Reporter link. Using their title for that reason.

Tokyo Metropolitan Police on Tuesday arrested the first editor of the popular manga ”Attack on Titan" in the alleged murder of his wife, 38, at the residence they share in Bunkyo Ward last year, reports the Sankei Shimbun (Jan. 10).

At around 2:50 a.m. August 9, Park Jung-hyun, a 41-year-old editor for publisher Kodansha, telephoned emergency services to report that his ”wife had collapsed."

Officers from the Komagome Police Station found the woman lying face-up in a state of cardiopulmonary arrest at the base of some stairs. She was confirmed dead about one hour later at a nearby hospital.

The woman's forehead had some light gashes, but there were no noticeable signs of trauma to her body that would result in death, police said.

An autopsy later revealed the cause of death to be suffocation due to pressure applied around the neck.

Park, who at the time lived in the residence with his wife and their four children, initially claimed that his wife ”fell down the stairs." However, he later changed his story, saying she ”committed suicide by hanging herself by a handrail."

An investigation was launched after police were unable to find sufficient evidence to back Park's claim of suicide.
Park was the editor-in-chief of ”Attack on Titan" upon its launch in Kodansha's Bessatsu Shonen Magazine in 2009. Twenty-one compilation books published featuring the manga, which is set in a fantasy world in which large humanoids eat humans, have shipped more than 60 million copies.

In June of last year, Park moved to the editorial department for the manga Weekly Morning.

A representative of Kodansha declined to comment on the case when reached by magazine Shukan Bunshun.

KHlover

Banned
So they will still go on making them? Phew!

Sucks about the dead chick etc
That's incredibly tactless o_O

I won't pretend I'm not glad he was the former editor, but that second part of your post is pathetic.

OT:

I feel for their children. Losing a parent is always a tragic event, but murdered by their own father? That's going to haunt them for the rest of their lives :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Oh no I hope my manga isn't affected by the terrible life ruining act of violence. Who cares about the kids, I want to know if another crappy character will get to turn into a giant monster!

Raynes

Oh no I hope my shitty manga isn't affected by the terrible life ruining act of violence. Who cares about the kids, I want to know if another crappy character will get to turn into a giant monster!

Get off your high horse. The only reason this story out the thousands of other atrocities even got posted was because of it's relation to AOT. Do you seriously get all emotional for the millions of awful atrocities that happen all over the world? No, and don't pretend to and make others feel like shit for not caring about it.

ZeroGravity

And people wonder why it's so hard to take anime/manga fans seriously.
lol

Did you like, miss the whole death of Carrie Fisher, when some people's first thoughts were "How does this effect Star Wars?!"

This isn't exclusive to any group, so get this shit out of here.

eizarus

Banned
Damn this has got to be so tough on the kids. Condolences to them.

On another note, I was expecting the article to say that he killed her in some manner imitating the way they kill titans on the show. Can't stress how glad I am that's not that case, cos that shit would be fucked up. (more so than what the current case is)

Get off your high horse. The only reason this story out the thousands of other atrocities even got posted was because of it's relation to AOT. Do you seriously get all emotional for the millions of awful atrocities that happen all over the world? No, and don't pretend to and make others feel like shit for not caring about it.

But if you dont care, why would you enter the topic and post a tasteless comment?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does it matter?

Usually not. But since the husband is Korean, if the wife was Japanese this would cause more public outcry. There's still bad tensions between Asian countries and even if you were born in Japan, there is still hostility towards foreigners.

ramyeon

Usually not. But since the husband is Korean, if the wife was Japanese this would cause more public outcry. There's still bad tensions between Asian countries and even if you were born in Japan, there is still hostility towards foreigners.
Oh I know, having lived in both countries before.

It still shouldn't matter.
Just saw the news on NNN. Awful. RIP.

To the Netouyo, sadly yes: http://daily.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/newsplus/1484034049/

Not that racists need an excuse to air their hatred :(
Racists gonna racist.

Terrible stuff.

HStallion

No I think I'll call out shitty tasteless comments thank you very much. Also get off your own high horse with that hyperbolic crap.

Raynes

Man, those are some priorities.

Yeah because a murder only happens once every year and to someone we're close to, right? World is all good, this is totally out of the ordinary and affects us all on a personal level. Continue to pretend.

No I think I'll call out shitty tasteless comments thank you very much. Also get off your own high horse with that hyperbolic crap.

"NO YOU'RE WRONG :("

Yeah because a murder only happens once every year and to someone we're close to, right? World is all good, this is totally out of the ordinary and affects us all on a personal level. Continue to pretend.
Your callousness is impressive. How long of a delay would you deem acceptable under these circumstances?

Litan

Jesus fucking christ.

I think we all know that many murders are commited every single day. Doesnt make the comment any less tasteless.
We don't need to be close to people or even know them personally to have some sympathy for them.

MANUELF

Banned
So he was the editor from the manga launch until June 2016? The New Mustang also affect the mangaka since he was pretty close to him

So sad to heard the New though

Raynes

Your callousness is impressive. How long of a delay would you deem acceptable under these circumstances?

Your presumptuousness is even more impressive. To write someone off as callous based on an internet post says a lot about you. You know nothing about me. I'm just pointing out that I think it's ridiculous that people suddenly become emotional over a single murder when there are millions every day. Just for someone like that to function they must be ignoring the millions of other atrocities otherwise they would be constantly in tears. And to criticize others for not being affected, as if writing about how sad something is will do anything for those affected. Well I'm glad it helped you to move on, your job here is done.

HStallion

Your presumptuousness is even more impressive. To write someone off as callous based on an internet post says a lot about you. You know nothing about me. I'm just pointing out that I think it's ridiculous that people suddenly become emotional over a single murder when there are millions every day. Just for someone like that to function they must be ignoring the millions of other atrocities otherwise they would be constantly in tears. And to criticize others for not being affected, as if writing about how sad something is will do anything for those affected. Well I'm glad it helped you to move on, your job here is done.

You keep bringing up all the other horrible things done in the world as if we can't acknowledge this one unless we acknowledge all those others. Sorry but its not one or the other. People like me were criticizing the fact people were more concerned over a manga getting interrupted than the fact someone murdered their wife and ruined the lives of their 4 kids. But you know, what would us emotional types know on our high horses.

I'll put it this way. If GRRM killed someone and could no longer write A Song of Ice and Fire, I wouldn't be worried about the next book but saddened about the lives that were destroyed. I'd still be disappointed in not seeing the end of the series but in the scheme of things, that matters little to lives lost.

I am calling you callous based on your actions and your comments here, but fear not, if your chapter is delayed, I am sure it will not be delayed long.

Anime fans/avatars continue to make me cringe.

Really feel bad for the kids...

And posts like this continue to make me cringe as well.

lol

How y'all managed to turn a tragic thread into this is beyond me

It's pretty easy to see how. One dumbass said something fucked up and people started talking about it, and here is the real shocker for you guys...he didn't even have an anime avatar...amazing!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Awful news.

Wonder why he did it? If he strangled her then made up a shitty story full of holes, then it doesn't sound premeditated.

SilentRob

I read that with Sasuke's voice and you're doing very well on your path to being a very cool Anime character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom