• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adelaide Crows (Australian Football) coach murdered - son in custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomma_man

RIP

U6B1Qnh.jpg

Adelaide Crows coach Phil Walsh is dead after a domestic dispute at his home. His son has been arrested.

The 55-year-old was found dead at 2am on Friday at a Somerton Park home.

His son, 26, is in police custody and his wife is in hospital with non life-threatening injuries. It's understood his daughter is overseas on holidays.

Police said Walsh suffered "multiple stab wounds", while his wife suffered a "leg injury".

The suspected murder weapon, a knife, has been found at the scene.

"There's been an argument, I can't tell you anything about the argument … but as a result of that both Mr Walsh and his wife received a wound and the wound ultimately caused Mr Walsh's death," a South Australia detective told reporters at the scene on Friday.

"A knife was used in the attack and that has been found at the scene. At this stage, we won't say what sort of knife."

Walsh's son left the scene and was found soon after by police in the suburb of Glenelg East, the detective said.

"His son was located at First Avenue, Glenelg East, and arrested for murder and detained for a psychiatric assessment," he said.

The detective said Walsh's son lived at the Somerton Park house with his parents.

"He must have been out or elsewhere and returned there about 2 o'clock," he said.

"Somebody from the house called triple-0 and asked for an ambulance and the ambulance contacted police.

"What transpired I actually can't tell you. I'm sure we will establish exactly what happened and what led to this tragic event."

The Crows are scheduled to host Geelong at Adelaide Oval on Sunday. That match is now in doubt. Shocked Adelaide Crows players were arriving at Adelaide Oval.

3AW football commentator Dwayne Russell said he said he didn't believe the Crows would play on Sunday against Geelong.

"Like a lot of people, I have known him for a long, long time," he said. "I don't think they will play, the AFL was obviously have a look at this."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/adelaide-crows-coach-phil-walsh-found-dead-in-home-20150702-gi44nj.html

Awful stuff.

jambo

Saw this on Facebook this morning and assumed it was some dark joke.

Can't believe it, terrible!

So surely the game/round will be postponed

Tevren

Holy shit. This is terrible.

One of my best friends in FFXIV lives in Adelaide, she sent us a scarf of the crows not too long ago.

Bishop89

Really horrible news. Don't think this has ever happened to the game before, so not sure what will happen with this week's games.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Saw this on Facebook this morning and assumed it was some dark joke.

Can't believe it, terrible!

So surely the game/round will be postponed

Same, thought cruncho was taking the piss in irc.

This is insane.

Bishop89

Has it been confirmed it was the son? I mean it seems pretty obvious it was, but you never know.

Freaken psycho child.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Holy shit, I'm 26 too. This is fucked up.

Been looping on the news all morning. Pretty shocking stuff even if you're not an Adelaide supporter. Son hasn't been charged yet, but they seem to be suggesting on some sites that he had had issues. :(

tri_willy

i woke up to this thinking the fuck is going on, then shit just got real... far out...

im also a crows supporter. rip walshy, tragic dark day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom