• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flawed arguments are hurting discussion on diversity & representation issues in games

antyk

"Minority" only means that they're not the majority. If 49.9% of a given population were black and the rest were white, they'd still be a minority, so claiming that they don't """need""" (seriously, what) to be included is straight up disingenuous. I can guarantee that the majority of people who don't live in bumfuck Alabama or something will know a number of """minorities""". Also what's with this idea that it's totally a-ok to include teh Straight White Menz but including anyone else is suddenly this BIG STATEMENT and not just a reflection of reality.

Newsflash, straight white dudes, as much as you might think otherwise, and as much as you might WANT it to, the world doesn't actually revolve around you. I know that's a lot to process, take a moment to let it sink in. I'll wait.

49.9% is not a 'minority' in any definition, but - as per my example - in capital of Poland Black people are definitely less than 1-2%. To expect of a game happening in Warsaw to feature a prominent share of Black characters is disingenuous. Unless it's a game about Black community in Warsaw, which then would be obviously OK.

This is what I'm getting at - media should reflect the reality of given place & time and not try to ponder to some imaginary quota, like the clothes commercials in H&M shops in shopping malls always featuring White, Black and Asian models. Why not show skinny, normal and fat people or short and tall instead? This would be more informative and useful, not to mention closer to the realities of the time & place where those ads are displayed. Let it sink in :)

pashmilla

Banned
49.9% is not a 'minority' in any definition, but - as per my example - in capital of Poland Black people are definitely less than 1-2%. To expect of a game happening in Warsaw to feature a prominent share of Black characters is disingenuous. Unless it's a game about Black community in Warsaw, which then would be obviously OK.

This is what I'm getting at - media should reflect the reality of given place & time and not try to ponder to some imaginary quota, like the clothes commercials in H&M shops in shopping malls always featuring White, Black and Asian models. Why not show skinny, normal and fat people or short and tall instead? This would be more informative and useful, not to mention closer to the realities of the time & place where those ads are displayed. Let it sink in :)

Okay, but... the population of Warsaw is 1.7 million. 1-2% of that is 34,000. That's the size of a small town. I'm not saying you need a "prominent share" of black characters, I'm saying that to not include them at all and claim "oh but it's realistic for the setting!" is dumb. There may not be as many black characters in Warsaw but they're still there. And I agree that clothes shops not using a range of body types in ads is problematic, but what the fuck is the issue with using non-white people? Who gives a shit? These people exist, why would you not include them? How would it be more "informative and useful" to not use them??? I can't wrap my head around this logic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is diengeneous, Gravity rush is made in Japan and is more racially diverse than most games made in Europe and America.

So one title represents an entire national industry now? So does that mean representational issues are now solved in Japan?

It'd be nice, but I really don't think so.

Its ironic I've got so much static for simply pointing out that different cultural values will always be in play as far as content is concerned in a global art-form, and that in turn will effect the rate and degree of change in response to commentary.

Its really basic stuff; if you are immersed in the English-speaking media surrounding video-games its impossible to ignore what a hot-button topic representational issues are and how passionately some people are demanding change. However for a non-English speaker, who sees overseas commentary only through the prism of their native cultural apparatus, the impression is likely not nearly so impactful and so the impetus to respond will be nowhere near as potent.

Okay, but... the population of Warsaw is 1.7 million. 1-2% of that is 34,000. That's the size of a small town. I'm not saying you need a "prominent share" of black characters, I'm saying that to not include them at all and claim "oh but it's realistic for the setting!" is dumb. There may not be as many black characters in Warsaw but they're still there. And I agree that clothes shops not using a range of body types in ads is problematic, but what the fuck is the issue with using non-white people? Who gives a shit? These people exist, why would you not include them? How would it be more "informative and useful" to not use them??? I can't wrap my head around this logic.

Well this is all true, but you'd also have to be prepared for utter trash like Hatred or whatever it was called to be at least about a third of all future content. Unless you don't count them as humans, bigots and their enablers seem to outnumber decent folks and the oppressed at the moment in many places :(
People calling for fair representation tend to forget that some nasty stuff is actually the majority attitude, see Americans slightly in favour of the MuslimBan (wtf Americans). What you really want is something normative, sth better than the real world, this may sound semantic but is a hugely important point in this discussion imo.

Alo0oy

Banned
So one title represents an entire national industry now? So does that mean representational issues are now solved in Japan?

It'd be nice, but I really don't think so.

Its ironic I've got so much static for simply pointing out that different cultural values will always be in play as far as content is concerned in a global art-form, and that in turn will effect the rate and degree of change in response to commentary.

Its really basic stuff; if you are immersed in the English-speaking media surrounding video-games its impossible to ignore what a hot-button topic representational issues are and how passionately some people are demanding change. However for a non-English speaker, who sees overseas commentary only through the prism of their native cultural apparatus, the impression is likely not nearly so impactful and so the impetus to respond will be nowhere near as potent.

I'm saying that even less diverse countries can have diverse cast of characters if they want their game to be international, and not stick their head in the sand and pretend people with different skin color, gender, and sexuality don't exist. I brought up Gravity rush because you said Japanese devs are incapable of making brown/black characters.

An all-Japanese cast would actually be great, since not many non-anime games do that. But a lot of Japanese developers don't do that (probably) because they assume the game won't sell as well due to racism against Asian people.

SomTervo

I agree with your post except for the bolded. Two wrongs dont make a right nor are they "equal" when it comes to how it feeds into harmful practices against the marginalized. I'm all for equal opportunity sexy, though

If I wasn't on mobile I would have explained my point in more depth, sorry.

Essentially I believe that in tongue in cheek, comedy situations, full-blown objectification is basically okay. I'm not saying that in serious games like MGSV a sexy and one dimensional character would fix everything (although it could help). When I said that, I was referring to comic/silly narratives - ones in which every character is an object anyway. Everyone is a ridiculous archetype. There isn't really a "wrong" to begin with. Again, I cite God Hand: literally every sexy enemy type is objectified in-game. A couple of huge, camp, hench black guys dressed as sexy cowboys. Topless dudes who do pelvic thrusts. Sleek women in heels and revealing bikinis (who can fight just as well as the men). It's all really hilarious and in good humour and both sexes are treated equally in the over the topness.

A slightly bigger problem is in God Hand's menus when only the female protagonist is in sexy positions in little illustrations... in which case she is being objectified on a pedestal. But the in-game stuff is still a good enough example.

antyk

Please re-read my posts - I'm not saying games (or other media) should avoid representing minorities: quite the contrary! They should, but it should be based on reality of the time, place and setting if it aims at being realistic or can be whatever - but well-founded logically - if it's fictional. At my work, which is easily 3+ thousands of people and is the HQ of top Polish commercial bank, I've not met or even seen a single Black person in 7 months I work there, so probably my estimate of 1-2% was exaggerated :)

The H&M commercials is an example of some false ideal of perfectly equal representation, which has nothing to do with reality of Polish and many other streets - but probably works for London, Amsterdam, Paris or NYC, etc. - therefore it's not informative and useful here, as opposed to showing how those same clothes look like on skinny, normal and fat model.

The equivalent of what a lot of gamers require from the devs is a situation, where I was told to hire additional 5 people to my department, but there need to be at least 2 women, 1 Black, 1 Asian and 1 gay. I'd laugh at that request, because first & foremost their skills and personality need to fit the rest of the team, while gender, skin colour and orientation are completely irrelevant. There's definitely a value in having and promoting diversity, but not as the one and only criteria driving the selection.

It's just like with hobbies, that sometimes define a person even more than gender, skin color or sexual preference - if it's something very niche and obscure you just need to deal with the fact that the global presence of it will drastically differ from your own perspective and you can't go around demanding that everyone includes your "thing" in their movies, games, books, art, etc. I'm obviously stretching the example to the extreme, but some people are doing exactly that to the opposite side like in the examples I mentioned: no Black people or ability to customise the main protagonist in Witcher 3 or lack of options other than "a boy" or "a girl" in some Nintendo 3DS game.

If we'd force equal representation in games, we'll end up with stories filled with tokenized characters (e.g. drunk Russian, Polish thief, Black drug dealer, high pitch-voiced gay males, etc.) or - on the other end of the spectrum - ones where the trait doesn't translate in any meaningful way on the character (i.e. skin colour is a texture swap, sex orientation or religion is a description in the bio). Both are bad for different reasons.

PtM

Banned
An all-Japanese cast would actually be great, since not many non-anime games do that. But a lot of Japanese developers don't do that (probably) because they assume the game won't sell as well due to racism against Asian people.
I don't think it's racism against Asians.

SomTervo

I've read this before. It's a really good piece. It's true that sexism is rampant in video games and many of the females who appear in video games are highly sexualized. At the same time, I'm hard pressed to think of a single black character who is positively portraid in a video game and I can't help but wonder why we don't talk more about that in addition to the sexism.

It definitely warrants a lot more discussion than it gets.

In recent years I guess Lee from TWD Season 1 and Marcus from Watch Dogs 2 are the best black protagonists I can think of. Riley in TLoU Left Behind was great, too.

antyk

I'm saying that even less diverse countries can have diverse cast of characters if they want their game to be international, and not stick their head in the sand and pretend people with different skin color, gender, and sexuality don't exist.

Fully agree, but only as long as we're talking "can have (...) if they want" and NOT "must have", which unfortunately seems to be the expectation of a lot of the progressive gamers and press, with the added requirement for this representation to be "equal" (as in evenly distributed) even if in reality it's just not.

SomTervo

Well written post, I don't agree with all of it nor do I really have the time this evening to give your post the proper response it deserves. I'll say this quickly though, we shouldn't straw man to avoid discussing the issue, but we shouldn't charge down the throat of everyone who isn't lockstep behind the cause either. The battle of straw men vs lock step destroys the argument for all parties and leaves a lot of people in the middle ending up indifferent towards the issue who might otherwise have been supportive.

The people you say are "lock step behind the cause" often disagree with each other and discuss the intricacies of how these things work. How is that "lock step"? You need to explain more. "Lock step" sounds like another label, which is never a good idea.

But should we not have those kinds of games at all? That's where my problem lies. A lot of people say "of course we shouldn't censor developers", then later post about how "MGSV should never have been shipped with that version of Quiet in it".

Which one is it? I, for one, found Quiet a silly addition to the MGS5, but I know some people who enjoyed it. Heck, I'm currently enjoying playing through DOAX3. It's very relaxing and yes, I'm partially motivated by being able to unlock new animations and stuff to watch in VR mode. This is definitely sexual objectification. Is it wrong? If you think these kinds of games shouldn't be on shelves, then isn't the only solution to ban them, effectively censoring developers?

Answered your own question. See the bolded. 'That version of Quiet'. Quiet could easily have been handled differently albeit with the same core concept.

99% of clothes are rebreathable, so she could have been fully clothed for most of the game. She would still be sexy and still have an OK story but we wouldn't be subject to constant tit shots, etc. It's not about censorship: it's about portraying your characters as well and consistently as possible. Like, I love MGSV, and I think aspects of Quiet's character are great (and she's sexy) but with a few very minor changes in portrayal she could have been brilliant.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't think it's racism against Asians.

It's just a guess on my part, most major characters from a lot of Japanese developers are white or can be perceived as white. And I think the main reason is that they want their games to sell in America and Europe.

Fully agree, but only as long as we're talking "can have (...) if they want" and NOT "must have", which unfortunately seems to be the expectation of a lot of the progressive gamers and press, with the added requirement for this representation to be "equal" (as in evenly distributed) even if in reality it's just not.

Nobody said they have to, they can do what they want, and we're free to criticize them.

antyk

Nobody said they have to, they can do what they want, and we're free to criticize them.

Sure, but we should not go around criticising everything for not meeting some unrealistic quota or not addressing some issue we think is important. Unless people have too much time on their hands and like to argue with strangers on the Internet :)

Lime

Sure, but we should not go around criticising everything for not meeting some unrealistic quota or not addressing some issue we think is important. Unless people have too much time on their hands and like to argue with strangers on the Internet :)

If white developers want to make a white-only game in the already vast ocean that is white dudes in video games in a society that already oppresses and shits on non-white people, they can go right ahead and there are no laws for it.

But I am still going to call out that a developer deliberately chooses to make a white-only game in the context of a white supremacist society in a overly white video game culture.

In these precarious times of racism and bigotry, it is high time that developers do not contribute to and further reinforce Whiteness.

I just got done reading this article about how to persuade others to change their political opinion of a thing:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...logical-trick-to-political-persuasion/515181/

Diversity, sexism, and representation in gaming is typically framed as a fairness issue because liberals prioritize fairness above loyalty. The problem is that conservatives are the opposite. It's more effective to present liberal issues from a loyalty moral framework (or at least have it in addition to the fairness framework) if the goal is to get as many people on board as possible. And since there are no arguable "negatives" to having more inclusion (unless that person is blatantly phobic, which some admittedly are), there's nothing stopping someone from being on-board with it other than it being presented to them through an ineffective framework that they don't prioritize.

I mean, thinking back to some of the arguments on things like Link having a female option, the primary argument against it is that Link has always been male, and should continue to do so because that's who he is. This is an argument of loyalty being made to a franchise's history. And the pro-girl argument is primarily an argument from fairness. It's a small example considering the broad brush of topics in the thread, but it highlights the issue.

Link being only male in all it's "iterations" it's kind of stupid from the point of TLOZ lore. There's no line or clause in the games that say the character needs a penis to carry his role with the triforce, it's just a dev thing, and the most amazing aspect is how obtuse Aonuma tackled the thing when he was asked about it.

Alo0oy

Banned

I'm tired of being portrayed as a terrorist every fucking time, without fail. So no, I don't think being portrayed as a normal person is "unrealistic".

If white developers want to make a white-only game in the already vast ocean that is white dudes in video games in a society that already oppresses and shits on non-white people, they can go right ahead and there are no laws for it.

But I am still going to call out that a developer deliberately chooses to make a white-only game in the context of a white supremacist society in a overly white video game culture.

In these precarious times of racism and bigotry, it is high time that developers do not contribute to and further reinforce Whiteness.

Again projecting your American view of diversity on the entire world. Every country is different in regards to minorities. I think the Witcher 3 devs summed it up pretty well.

Szmalek went on to address the controversy surrounding the lack of racial diversity in the game, saying that some people assumed that it was some form of omission or a statement that the studio was trying to make.

"It is definitely not," Szmalek said. "It's just that we tackled certain issues from a different perspective."

Travis Currit, who was one of the team responsible for translating The Witcher 3 to English, suggested that for those living in more racially diverse areas, the lack of representation feels far more pronounced. He went on to say that while Poland is relatively "homogeneous" in terms of race, CD Projekt Red drew inspiration from the tensions that existed between the various cultures coexisting in the country.

"It's fifty shades of white," Szmalek said.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I brought up Gravity rush because you said Japanese devs are incapable of making brown/black characters.

I never ever said incapable, my point was just that they are less likely to feel changing from their traditional approach to be a priority when the pressure to make change is coming predominantly from overseas.

Lime

Again projecting your American view of diversity on the entire world. Every country is different in regards to minorities. I think the Witcher 3 devs summed it up pretty well.

That doesn't negate my criticism (nor is it necessarily an American view of diversity, as Europe and especially Poland have a big problem with dealing with race).

But if you want to defend the further entrenchment of all-encompassing Whiteness in these times of racism and far-right popularity, go ahead.

OP is a fantastic read, and in the past have certainly been pretty damn guilty of some of these fallacies myself -- but I'm fairly certain that was all in my pre-GAF days. I have probably actually, at various stages in my life, used each and every flawed argument in my defense in relation to one topic or another, and not just particularly within the context of video games discussion.

The ideas presented in the OP all makes sense to me at my current, progressively maturing frame of mind, though -- and I'm sure I've got plenty of ground yet to cover, as well. I'm dedicated to getting better about these issues myself.

That doesn't negate my criticism (nor is it necessarily an American view of diversity, as Europe and especially Poland have a big problem with dealing with race).

But if you want to defend the further entrenchment of all-encompassing Whiteness in these times of racism and far-right popularity, go ahead.

It does. You are equating diversity with skin colour and arguing that portraying other white people as minorities is contributing to white supremacy.

Contrary to the US most minorities in Poland's history have been white: Jews, Tatars, Romani,.... Poland doesn't have the same black-white racial history that other Western countries like the USA and the colonial powers have had. So yes, I understand where CDProjekt is coming from and I disagree with your notion that it is a sign of white supremacy.

antyk

Oh, I definitely agree - if game's time & place makes sense to include given minority and it helps to flesh out the story, then we should definitely call the devs out on it. It's a completely different thing, if devs feel obliged to put those minorities in if it's not justified, but is 'expected' to do.

I'm tired of being portrayed as a terrorist every fucking time, without fail. So no, I don't think being portrayed as a normal person is "unrealistic".

That's exactly my point - devs when forced to introduce diversity ("there needs to be a Black, Asia, Muslim, gay, etc.") without a clear idea for how that character should contribute to the story will inevitably tokenize or objectify them, assigning them the "typical" role of drunk, thief, terrorist, etc. We should encourage them to do it properly, not to do it because they have to.

Par Score

Oh, I definitely agree - if game's time & place makes sense to include given minority and it helps to flesh out the story, then we should definitely call the devs out on it. It's a completely different thing, if devs feel obliged to put those minorities in if it's not justified, but is 'expected' to do.

That's exactly my point - devs when forced to introduce diversity ("there needs to be a Black, Asia, Muslim, gay, etc.") without a clear idea for how that character should contribute to the story will inevitably tokenize or objectify them, assigning them the "typical" role of drunk, thief, terrorist, etc. We should encourage them to do it properly, not to do it because they have to.

It's not like this specific BS wasn't included in the OP.

You are literally making the "Historical Accuracy" / "Artistic Integrity" / "Double Standard" arguments, like, point for point.

But, like, you have to know that, because you read the OP, yeah?

I don't get it.

spiritfox

That just goes back to the double standard argument mentioned in the OP. Even if the writing is terrible, having a more diverse crew helps to open the industry to more people willing to put minorities in their games.

antyk

It's not like this specific BS wasn't included in the OP.

You are literally making the "Historical Accuracy" / "Artistic Integrity" / "Double Standard" arguments, like, point for point.

But, like, you have to know that, because you read the OP, yeah?

I don't get it.

Can I only post here if I fully agree with the OP? Somehow I missed this rule...

That just goes back to the double standard argument mentioned in the OP. Even if the writing is terrible, having a more diverse crew helps to open the industry to more people willing to put minorities in their games.

...or perpetuates the wrong image.

Did I ever said bland, empty and cookie-cutter white / straight / male character is OK? If dev has no idea how to incorporate minorities in their game they shouldn't have to. If they don't know how to make interesting characters AT ALL, they should change their job. If traits of the character have no meaning and impact for the game, they should be fully customizable (like in some RPGs) or completely hidden (driving games, arcade games, etc.).

Just realised while reading this that two of my favourite games I played this year were Gravity Rush Remastered and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. The former I put down to amazing world-building and characterisation, and ME:C due to both the powerful presence of Faith, the world aesthetic, and DICE's doubling-down on a game without gunplay for a change.

Notably, I don't think I would have enjoyed either as much as I did if the protagonists were Nathan Drake's. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with his characture (I liked U4 too), but for the first time in my time gaming I'm embracing games whose protagonists truly put me in someone else's shoes, not just the ideal shoes of what my demographic is (young white male Nathan Drake man).

Anyway, thanks OP for this magnificent write up, and thanks to Studio Japan and DICE for helping me broaden my horizons a bit :)

foamdino

Good read. I'm terrified of posting in these kinds of topics, but anyway...

I tend to play strategy and 4x games so instinctively feel that these kinds of issues pass me by in games.

When I do play games with protagonists, I don't feel like I have to identify with the character to enjoy it. If it's an arcade game I tend to play for the mechanics, an RPG for the story and the progression systems.

One thing I do feel is slightly off-putting with the original post is that it does feel to me (as a Brit) to be projecting a US-centric view of diversity. I have read the post and I do feel that sometimes more harm can be done by plonking a random character into a story to "fill a quota".

On the whole I think that this diversity in games issue is way more of a problem with AAA games which tend to be so expensive to make that taking any kind of risk is avoided (and unfortunately for historic reasons, having a non-white-male as a protagonist is seen as a risk). Indies are much better in this regard.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
But this just loops back into ‘only if the writing is good’. The point of discussing these issues is not to ‘force’ developers to always include minority representations, the point is to get people to acknowledge that certain issues exist and through that eventually get developers to realize that they should address these issues. That is not the same as ‘forcing’ inclusivity. It is not a mandate. If Rockstar wants to make a story about three guys, or if Naughty Dog wants to make a story about a father, or if Bethesda wants to make a story about Doomguy, etc., then that’s absolutely fine. I don’t think anybody here is arguing that those things should go away. Stories with and about white male protagonists already exist and will and should always keep existing. We’d just like to also have stories about women, non-straight males, and other races and sexualities. If developers push to include minorities, should we encourage them to do it properly? Absolutely! Get more women and minorities working in the AAA studios! Should we criticize their work if they don’t do it properly? Of course! But we should not avoid talking about issues or criticizing bad examples simply for a fear of bad writing, because bad writing already exists and it will never go away.
I'm with you in spirit OP about the lack of diversity/ overabundance of flawed arguments, but IMO it's exactly this tone of talking down to those who think differently that makes it difficult to change minds.

People who insist on a single ideological interpretation as fact, often about games they haven't even played or been released, don't seem to realize their own complicity in polarizing issues (I'm thinking of the Quiet 'controversy' here, which began well before the game released).

Just as all the flawed approaches you've highlighted don't work, neither IMO can elements separated from their context/larger structure be critiqued fairly or accurately. To me, it's a flawed argument to suggest that each and every instance of something people find 'offensive' comes from the same place/motive/purpose.

When we make sloppy generalizations, paint with too broad a brush, and forget context, we progressives can be guilty of presenting pretty flawed arguments ourselves (present company excluded). That, too, can hurt discussions of this sort. (Just my two cents.)
Of course, flawed arguments are not constrained to one side of a discussion. It’s just that in this case, I feel that the arguments pointed out in the OP are brought up with such consistency across a variety of threads that it was worth discussing them specifically. I did not write with the intent to generalize, nor do I feel I did - I mostly tried to present the basic arguments and why they are flawed / how they are sometimes driven to extremes. I don’t think - nor intend to imply - that all people making arguments like this do this for the same reasons or with the same purpose or intentions.
I can't think of many stories in games that require a specific gender to work either though, even in games with really well written characters and narratives it's rare they explore these characters in ways that would make a gender switch break anything.

Like, there are some very specific stories that could be told that would require a specific gender or sexuality or colour, but really the majority of characters in the majority of games could be gender/colour swapped forever without the stories being affected at all.

Take TLoU and make Joel a women and Ellie a boy, the same story could be told in the exact same way. Is a father's perspective different enough to a mother's that it would change things to the point the story loses impact? I don't think so (unless I'm missing some kind of important subtext).
Certain stories might not require a certain gender to work, but that doesn’t mean that switching the gender of the main character would have no effect on the story. Changing the gender / race / whatever of a main character changes the way the audience perceives their actions and relationships. I’m copy pasting a bit from a post I made in the 3% thread;

This is different from what we see in most games with a gender toggle, where one mostly neutral / genderless character is written and then male or female skins are applied to them. Most of those games do not have the character actually influencing the story. The player character in Fallout 4 for example does not exhibit any real character traits that influence the story; the story is shaped by player action / player choice, not by the character itself. These ‘characters’ have no real agency; they are shaped and guided by the player. Written characters are not. Written characters are observed and perceived by the player, not shaped by them. This is why we can have a discussion on the morality of Joel’s actions at the end of The Last of Us but not about the morality of the player character nuking a town in Fallout. Joel is a character that made certain decision that lead to that final action while the fallout player character is completely controlled by the player that could have made any decision for any reason. Changing the gender of a written character changes our perception of that character by changing the context of their actions, even if these changes are relatively small for certain types of stories.

On the idea of ‘man’s story’ and ‘woman’s story’; some seem to interpret them as stories that need to specifically deal with the gender of the player character in a big way through major themes incorporated in the main story. I would disagree with that. Any story where you play exclusively as a male character is ‘a man’s story’ just as any game where you play exclusively as a female character is ‘a woman’s story’. Those are the lenses that you perceive the story through. Metroid is ‘a woman’s story’ because it stars Samus. That her gender is not a major - or even minor - plot element in most of the stories ( *shoots nasty glare at Other M in the corner* ) does not make her story ‘not a woman’s story’.
Fantastic OP! Basically lays the issues I have against anti-diversity arguments bare. I want to go further in depth on the artistic freedom section, because this has been something that's been eating at my tits for a long time and I just want to vent about it. You covered the main points I would've made in my own topic, although there's one point I feel that tends to be overlooked in all of this:

The way "artistic freedom" is used as a bludgeon does nothing but devalue, infantalize, undermine, and insult artists.

( … )
This post. It is good. I shall put a link to this post in the ‘artistic integrity’ bit.
You made a lot of good and valid points, but this is not one of them. The entire topic of the thread was Ashley Judd calling the game industry (not the gaming community) hypocritical for their stance on GamerGate. Yet no one could come up with a single recent popular AAA game that was illustrative of said hypocrisy. Such false claims play into media stereotypes of the game industry and discourage women from entering it.

Amy Hennig (known best for her work on Uncharted) had the following to say on this issue:

(Source)

I fully support the work of someone like Anita Sarkeesian who backs up her criticisms with specific and clear examples. On the other hand, what Ashley Judd said is reminiscent of comments by Jack Thompson and many other cultural alarmists of decades past. They only muddle legitimate conversations to be had about video games (be it sexism or violence) with phony rhetoric.

Other than that, I agree whole-heartedly with your core arguments.
I disagree with your assessment of that thread.

As I see it, the thread was about her talk about harassment in online gaming communities. While some might find that one part of that one comment objectionable, it was not the main point she was making and the discussion should not have completely warped around speculation on it. I mean, someone posted a gif of Commander Shepard punching a reporter character and others jumped onto that to discuss whether it was sexist or not. Mass Effect was not mentioned by Judd. Discussing that gif as if that was what Judd was talking about distracted completely from the actual content of the talk.

Even if we ignore that the comment was not central to her talk, it’s not like the comment is grossly wrong. Some examples were brought up in the thread. GTA V was brought up and people argued how the possibility to fuck and then kill female prostitutes didn’t count. The Tomb Raider reboot had overly gory and violent death animations and new Lara went through a lot of physical abuse throughout the game ( not necessarily from other characters, but also in general from the environment and story; probably consciously done by the developers considering their ‘we want the player to protect her’ statement ). Other examples I can think of from the top of my head not brought up in the thread; God of War: Ascension had a trophy called ‘Bros before Hos’, which was awarded to the player after violently murdering one of the female antagonists ( note: the level of violence was not the problem considering the context of the series, the trophy name and its implication were ). The ‘wife’ character in Shadow of Mordor is basically there to be killed immediately to ‘motivate’ the male main character. Quiet was horribly burned and basically forced to be subject to an experimental parasite which prevented her from speaking and came with some convenient side-effects to justify having her be half-naked all the time. In Watch_Dogs, assassins messing up their job and putting the main character’s niece into a coma ( and eventual death ) is the catalyst that gets the plot going. Clara, the main female ‘ally’ is gunned down near the end of the game to force an ‘emotional moment’. The main character’s sister is basically there so she can get kidnapped to make the plot move forward.

These examples exist and to say that they don’t or ‘technically don’t matter’ or how it ‘really isn’t as bad as I think she says’ is just not a compelling point for discussion. It is also worth noting that we are working with exclusively the literal interpretation of ‘maim and dump’. She could have been referring to a more general issue with the representation of women, or the lack of effort from publishers to clamp down on anti-woman sentiments in their communities, but this is also in the end completely irrelevant as we are now speculating on and picking apart a part of a comment that was not central to the talk as a whole or the issue it was trying to raise. The comment can be seen as overly generalizing, but again; it wasn’t the main point of her talk, so to expect her to go in-depth on it and then warp the discussion entirely around her not going in-depth on it is odd to me.

spiritfox

Can I only post here if I fully agree with the OP? Somehow I missed this rule...

...or perpetuates the wrong image.

Did I ever said bland, empty and cookie-cutter white / straight / male character is OK? If dev has no idea how to incorporate minorities in their game they shouldn't have to. If they don't know how to make interesting characters AT ALL, they should change their job. If traits of the character have no meaning and impact for the game, they should be fully customizable (like in some RPGs) or completely hidden (driving games, arcade games, etc.).

You're are repeating the same arguments already covered by the OP. Why is writing white men any easier than writing a woman or a black man? Just because they don't have the same genitals or skin color doesn't mean they're suddenly aliens from another world. They have many similar traits and worries that a white man, no, a human being might have.

Edit: Well the OP has made better points above.

Alo0oy

Banned

It's not hard to write different types of people without perpetuating stereotypes, just give them the same depth you'd afford your other characters.

antyk

You're are repeating the same arguments already covered by the OP. Why is writing white men any easier than writing a woman or a black man? Just because they don't have the same genitals or skin color doesn't mean they're suddenly aliens from another world. They have many similar traits and worries that a white man, no, a human being might have.

Edit: Well the OP has made better points above.

Sorry, but you're reading it just like you want it to. I never said that writing a white / male / straight is easier - I said that if dev can't properly write ANY character, incl. white / male / straight; then they should consider different occupation.

antyk

It's not hard to write different types of people without perpetuating stereotypes, just give them the same depth you'd afford your other characters.

I would agree in principle, but then seeing the whole discussion about the scarf / clothing that Chloe was wearing in the reveal of Uncharted 4 add-on made me realise, that if devs put a minority (or even their clothing) in game, they'll be fiercely scrutinised if it's all factually 100% correct. I never saw a multi-page discussion about if the pair of jeans or shoes worn by white character makes sense... So if a dev wants to put a Black person in their game, they should better be ready to properly portrait all the intricacies of the culture, beliefs, daily struggles typical for given minority, etc. Agree, that's the ideal, but it happens very rarely.

Mega

Banned
OP is pretty good and has a good amount of solid examples to draw from in future discussion.

My one criticism is that, via the sheer focus of its content and the examples given, it's foremost and primarily focused on women in video games. Maybe it's my interpretation but I often read that as the concerns of white women, and occasionally white gay women due to the tone, references given and the lack of intersectional elements in how the talk is being framed.

I think outside of the solitary short section on minority representation, the OP is completely lacking in nuanced discussion and examples on race related issues that affect blacks, Latinos, Asians, immigrants and other minorities.

And I think it's almost completely devoid of anything about transgender people or any LGBT group that isn't mainstream gay and lesbian people, which again tends to revolve around how middle class whites are depicted. I hope I'm not being too harsh and others can see what I'm talking about. Maybe the OP can expand on what he/she has written to be more inclusive and encompassing.

spiritfox

Sorry, but you're reading it just like you want it to. I never said that writing a white / male / straight is easier - I said that if dev can't properly write ANY character, incl. white / male / straight; then they should consider different occupation.

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting "if devs can't properly write any characters they should consider different occupation" from this:

My original point is that even if their writing is terrible, having more representation would encourage more devs to have more diverse characters. Even if they cannot fully represent all the nuances of that particular group of minorities, just by having them around means recognizing that they exist, and that is something that unfortunately needs to happen more in the industry right now.

antyk

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting "if devs can't properly write any characters they should consider different occupation" from this(...)

Then please refer to your post #330 and see my post that you quoted - it's there.

I think we're in agreement for the most part, with the exception that I don't necessarily subscribe to the view that devs should always try to include minorities, even if they don't know how to do that properly. Not every dev will have the time, dedication and resources to pull it off like Naughty Dog is able to (e.g. in TLoU), whereas doing it "wrong" results in endless forum discussions like this one. In my experience it's easier to influence a change by highlighting positive examples (e.g. TLoU, The Walking Dead) rather than by criticising bad examples.

I'm out, before I get banned :)

Fuchsdh

OP is pretty good and has a good amount of solid examples to draw from in future discussion.

My one criticism is that, via the sheer focus of its content and the examples given, it's foremost and primarily focused on women in video games. Maybe it's my interpretation but I often read that as the concerns of white women, and occasionally white gay women due to the tone, references given and the lack of intersectional elements in how the talk is being framed.

I think outside of the solitary short section on minority representation, the OP is completely lacking in nuanced discussion and examples on race related issues that affect blacks, Latinos, Asians, immigrants and other minorities.

And I think it's almost completely devoid of anything about transgender people or any LGBT group that isn't mainstream gay and lesbian people, which again tends to revolve around how middle class whites are depicted. I hope I'm not being too harsh and others can see what I'm talking about. Maybe the OP can expand on what he/she has written to be more inclusive and encompassing.

One point I would say in defense of that is that women aren't a minority anywhere. They are literally half the population, worldwide. So it's a lot easier to argue representational bias. As I posed earlier in this thread, how much diversity is "enough"? Talking about female characters at least offers a rational threshold, and one that holds constant despite talking about marketing games across a world where black people are the vast majority of a population to where they are nonexistent.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Fair criticism.

I tried to diversify a bit, but yes, most of the examples I used focused on women / sexism. That's partly because those issues are 'closer' to me, and partly because a significant portion of diversity threads - or at least the ones that I participated in / followed - are about those specific subjects, and thus that is what I drew upon for examples. So I hear your criticism but hope that everybody understands that I do am talking about all of those issues too. I don't really have space left in the OP to add meaningful commentary on these other issues, and I don't really have the time right now to do another megapost on the level of the OP, but will put up links to posts if others want to expand on these issues.

Trans woman by the way. Only just started social transition and in talks for starting HRT. .w.

petran79

Banned
This is why I liked Castlevania back then. It was one of the first games that added female characters both as side characters and main leads. Didnt hesitate to add new storyline elements and switch between male and female leads, even in-game. They even added a bishie Spaniard in Bloodlines. Now franchise did shift to a mostly female lead, even in Bloodstained,though that game features a little fanservice. Excluding Judgement of course...

A shame that western versions of SOTN removed Maria as a playable character.

Lime

Fair criticism.

I tried to diversify a bit, but yes, most of the examples I used focused on women / sexism. That's partly because those issues are 'closer' to me, and partly because a significant portion of diversity threads - or at least the ones that I participated in / followed - are about those specific subjects, and thus that is what I drew upon for examples. So I hear your criticism but hope that everybody understands that I do am talking about all of those issues too. I don't really have space left in the OP to add meaningful commentary on these other issues, and I don't really have the time right now to do another megapost on the level of the OP, but will put up links to posts if others want to expand on these issues.

Trans woman by the way. Only just started social transition and in talks for starting HRT. .w.

Intersectionality is a good conceptual approach to look at how these issues intersect:

Patricia Hill Collins had this conceptual model to map how these different categories lap together in specific cases, aka the matrix of domination

e062d6f7eb77798ba5f3933c1371ff98.jpg

Just because most people in The Witcher 3 have the same skin colour doesn't mean there aren't any minorities.

You played Witcher 3 and came to the conclusion that that was what they were going for? Because the world is the same tolkien goblins and monsters shit as most western focused RPGs so much so I find this argument hilarious.

Most minorities in Poland are German, Armenian, Ukrainian or Silesian.

And? Apply this to how all western RPGs portray their worlds then and tell me what I'm missing.

You are just using applying your American standards of diversity to a game made in Poland and then you claim it's a global product so it has to adhere to global (read: American) standards. Bullshit.

No one said it had to appeal to global markets. I said the game is going to be sold to a global market so I dont give a fuck about the reason it has no racial minorities is because it was made in Poland. Why the fuck does that matter to a discussion about wanting more POC in gaming? Do all these RPGs and "Victorian" era games get a pass because they're from Europe therefore they are above criticism from their global audience?

Really impressive OP, great work. I've come across similar efforts like this one, but the OP is much more comprehensive.
...I think outside of the solitary short section on minority representation, the OP is completely lacking in nuanced discussion and examples on race related issues that affect blacks, Latinos, Asians, immigrants and other minorities...

I've mentioned in a few other posts some related issues that I've been concerned about (issues that don't come up very often on GAF), but I don't have as much time as I'd like to elaborate: one / two / three

Lime

It does. You are equating diversity with skin colour and arguing that portraying other white people as minorities is contributing to white supremacy.

Contrary to the US most minorities in Poland's history have been white: Jews, Tatars, Romani,.... Poland doesn't have the same black-white racial history that other Western countries like the USA and the colonial powers have had. So yes, I understand where CDProjekt is coming from and I disagree with your notion that it is a sign of white supremacy.

No, I'm saying that contributing to all-encompassing whiteness again and again, when it already dominates so many aspects of video games everywhere, is still just more Whiteness, regardless of their intentions and background.

Developers can do whatever the fuck they want, if they want more white characters everywhere, they can do so. And regardless of their intentions, I am still going to call them for reproducing all-encompassing whiteness again and again.

As an addendum and sidenote: Europe has problems with racism and skin color for sure, and it would do a lot of people good to have their notions of who's 'European' challenged and not necessarily determined by skin color.

Thanks to everyone who has more free time than I do to make long and well-argued posts like the OPs. I would love to be able to participate in serious discussions about so many issues in gaming, but I've become more and more averse to actually entering those threads because of problems like what the OP describes.

It's a bummer.

purdobol

You played Witcher 3 and came to the conclusion that that was what they were going for? Because the world is the same tolkien goblins and monsters shit as most western focused RPGs so much so I find this argument hilarious.

I'm sorry but you have no idea about slav folklore at all. Witcher series is drowning in it from top to bottom. Monster design, architecture, npc clothing design (especially peasants), lore, world design, names and so on.

The designers stated repeatedly in iterviews that while they didn't go for historical accuracy, they did borrow a lot from old legends, old mythology and even classical literature.

Hell some quests involve performing old rites that are described in classical literature (Dziady). There's also no shortage of Adam Mickiewicz quotes in the game. A lot of it sure is lost by western audience but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Nepenthe

Since antyk is talking about quotas and historical accuracy now, let's handily debunk those.

First, notice how- instead of basing their refutation in common game scenarios that people are actually referring to when they ask for more representation, like your basic FPS or action-adventure game- they instead have to use a rare scenario that acts as a strawman in order to illustrate a scenario where black people aren't wanted: Warsaw Poland! After all, Warsaw and Holocaust games are just flowing from the spout that is the collective whole of western video game output, aren't they? That's also where proponents of diversity are focusing their efforts and requests, surely. Ignoring the fact that you can probably find black Polish people throughout the country's history regardless since immigration isn't just a thing Trump made up recently to scare rural folks, this is a strictly Thermian argument (courtesy of Foldable Ideas) which is any argument that tries to refute any meta criticism of media on the basis of that media's in-text explanations. The classic example is:

"Why can't these women elves dress in practical armor like the men elves instead of skimpy armor that wouldn't be effective?" If you answer "Because their magic would be hindered otherwise!" then you've committed a Thermian argument.

There's two issues with Thermian arguments when used recklessly. The first is that because they seek to rectify a meta criticism with in-text explanations, they quickly become irrelevant distractions that do nothing to actually address the point that people are implying, because the person is obviously asking the question from a context of real-world sociopolitical issues and not canon. You might as well counter any given question on representation with "Because I had eggs for breakfast:" It doesn't make sense.

The second is that they eliminate the arbitrary nature of imagined media, usually in really convenient circumstances. Video games aren't real which includes the internal logic that defines their narratives and worlds. With the exception of coding and technological limits of particular eras (of which it'd be impossible to explain how this had a direct impact on representation anyway), every artistic decision ever made in a game has been the result of arbitrary and thus meaningless creative decisions, not the inevitable conclusion of objective scientific theory and law. Thus, games can literally do anything. There's no real reason why we can't have more minorities. Our exclusion from the fold is plainly because of a collective shrug of the shoulders, because developers don't give a damn to.

Since games are the result of subjective imagination, notice how a lot of the games that people try to claim are being historically accurate actually aren't. I imagine I could find more Nazi games with inaccurate dates, locations, and political research, fictional characters, and completely fake or anachronistic shit like zombies and weaponry and armor that couldn't have existed at the time than I could ones that are truly historically accurate. It raises the question then: why are black people more anathema to games than werewolves are? But before we even begin to answer that, I want to briefly address the insulting notion that artists can't or don't include minorities more often because not doing it right results in tokenism or because it's too hard.

First, the moment you engage in drudging up unnecessary (and usually undefined) rubrics that minorities need to satisfy to acceptably exist in a game is the moment you engage in bigotry, however casual. The overwhelming majority of AAA gaming protagonists are straight white males just because. As we've established, creativity is arbitrary and unscientific; you can do anything for any reason. So if you believe in equality, and you believe that fiction is not real and thus arbitrary, you have little choice but to agree that minorities automatically deserve access to the same thoughtlessness that plagues the creation of straight white male characters, that we should be allowed to propagate games for no reason like they get to do, that we shouldn't be limited by random, unbinding quotas pulled out of people's asses (which you realize is further bullshit considering there are more women in the world than men, and I'm sure the people who engage in the concept of quotas wouldn't appreciate a more "accurate" games industry.) On the second point, this ties into my previous post about how gamers always like to characterize artists as these helpless children who- gosh darnit- just can't deal with these pressing issues because hey, if gaming culture doesn't know how to treat minorities then certainly it would follow that their favorite creators don't. But again, this strips the agency away from artists and remains automatically insulting.

For example, you know how two white American men were able to put out a respectful and awesome animated film about traditional Polynesian culture and lore like only a few months ago? Research! That thing responsible adults do to figure out things they don't know about: Talking to people, visiting different countries, going online to look things up, reading books, taking pictures, actually casting for Polynesian actors, etc. And it's not like game artists are excluded from this work. The example off the top of my head is Mick Gordon's work on Killer Instinct's soundtrack, which includes accurate and respectful cultural signifiers of each character with a designated ethnic origin. Did he know that Scandinavians had a bone flute instrument that would be perfect for Spinal's theme? Probably not. He probably didn't know any Scandinavian language prior to recording the awesome chorus in the background either since he's an Aussie. So what did he do? Some preliminary research. This isn't rocket science.

So I don't want to hear anymore about how "hard" it is for these poor artists who regularly perform amazing feats of human ingenuity like complex physics simulations and motion capture to simply include some more black and brown people in on the fun too, nor do I want to continue hearing about how my natural existence needs to prove itself in order to show up in games more often. No more excuses for the industry, no more of trying to victimize artists, and no more double standards. It's time for gaming to grow up already.

(And finally, nice on antyk to characterize himself as a martyr and constantly allude to getting banned. This is what I also meant in later posts by positioning an argument back on yourself when it was never about you.)

I'm sorry but you have no idea about slav folklore at all.

Does the game look Tolkien like or doesn't it? Because this isn't about them crafting a cool setting rich in lore. It's about arguing that what they were going for was to show racialization in the form of different Europeans and I do not buy that at all.

Witcher series is drowning in it from top to bottom. Monster design, architecture, npc clothing design (especially peasants), lore, world design, names and so on.

This really aint have anything to do with my argument. No one said they didnt do their research. I said the game looks like your standard WRPG if the argument was suppose to be that they tried to show racialization of different European white dominant countries. Nothing in there shouts that. I dont really see how people are out here saying this game doesnt look like a bulk of WRPGs out of the US and Europe. It does. Wherever they drew their influence from it wasnt born of building a huge representation of different races (nationalities really)

The designers stated repeatedly in iterviews that while they didn't go for historical accuracy, they did borrow a lot from old legends, old mythology and even classical literature.

This is not what my issue was.

Hell some quests involve performing old rites that are described in classical literature (Dziady). There's also no shortage of Adam Mickiewicz quotes in the game. A lot of it sure is lost by western audience but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Also not what my issue was.

My issue was never that they should chage the game. My issue was that saying its a game made in a country without a lot of POC doesnt therefore excuse it from criticism given they want to sell to a global market. You wanna sell 4 milion copies of a game you cant feign ignorance to dark skin people existing. That was my point.

The game can take inspiration from all the coolest sources and most unique lore and still in the grand scheme fall into the same pool of games where you manage to see no POC which is a lot of games (though obviously it is getting better)

purdobol

It's about arguing that what they were going for was to show racialization in the form of different Europeans and I do not buy that at all.

Well you don't have to. I'm on the other hand firmly believe that one of the goals in creation procces of this game was to expose and spark some interest in the west about slavic culture. Which I'm grateful for.

Fuchsdh

Since antyk is talking about quotas and historical accuracy now, let's handily debunk those.

First, notice how- instead of basing their refutation in common game scenarios that people are actually referring to when they ask for more representation, like your basic FPS or action-adventure game- they instead have to use a rare scenario that acts as a strawman in order to illustrate a scenario where black people aren't wanted: Warsaw Poland! After all, Warsaw and Holocaust games are just flowing from the spout that is the collective whole of western video game output, aren't they?

This is a strawman, because people are specifically bringing up The Witcher 3 in diversity arguments. It's highlighted in the OP.

Top Bottom