• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

calza

So my iron gym came but it does not really sit that well on my doors or it pushes down too much on the frame. I am thinking of getting the straight bars like this.

OsuC5.jpg

Anybody have any experience with them?

grumble

Day 1: Lateral raises sounds good. I'll definitely swap those in. I think I might keep shrugs just because I love feeling that burn... but I'll drop one of the tricep iso's. I'm definitely going to have to look for dip bars, because I don't think I have seen any. I'll get back to you on that one.

Day 2: You're recommending a rest time of 3 minutes between each set of ten? Why so much? I'll add pullups for sure. I might stick with the Kroc rows, but I'll definitely try one go around without them and see how I feel.

Day 3: I did flies last the other day and felt it kicked my ass, but I guess that's a really good thing, haha. I will not lose any sleep over losing the cable crossover, as I hated it haha. And free weights for the incline sounds like a good idea for the proper development of my stabilization muscles. Done.

Day 4: I love the leg press, though :/ What's so bad about it, or why do you recommend dropping it? Seated calf raises sounds fine. I'll have to check out hamstring curls. I don't think I've ever done one set of them.

Basically, I chose a 4-day split because I have church 3 times a week and wanted to spend the other four doing something for my body. IF I switched to a 3-day, what would you recommend my splits look like?

Day 1: your call on the shrugs, but it'll impact your performance with the back movements the next day.

Day 2: deadlifts will kick your ass, and frankly very short rest periods are convenient for getting done faster but not better for building muscle.

Day 4: Leg press doesn't do anything the squat doesn't, so you're getting minimal return on metabolic and muscular investment. The reason why you'd want the hamstring curls is because your other movements are somewhat quad dominant.

4 day is not necessarily more effective than 3 day. If you want to look into alternatives, check out the OP, which has some great options particularly in the full body department.

Munin

So I am currently back in my home country for 3 months and will only have access to a shitty gym for the time being which has no barbells whatsoever, only dumbbells and machines. Can anyone tell me how I can replace your average Starting Strength workout with this equipment in the best possible way? Particularly concerning leg work... I don't expect to make any progress but at least for maintenance I want to keep going there.

And no I have no better gym available.

Had my cheat meal today. It was breakfast at waffle house which wasn't outside my diet except the smothered hash browns and dessert was a Sprinkles chocolate cupcake. Mmmm. Now to even it out tonight ill have 16 oz of chicken breast and a can of tuna.

So I am currently back in my home country for 3 months and will only have access to a shitty gym for the time being which has no barbells whatsoever, only dumbbells and machines. Can anyone tell me how I can replace your average Starting Strength workout with this equipment in the best possible way? Particularly concerning leg work... I don't expect to make any progress but at least for maintenance I want to keep going there.

And no I have no better gym available.
You can squat and deadlift with dumbbells. You can do it all with dumbbells.

Enco

Ya, that's a curtain rod, not a pull up bar. I dunno how that holds an adult but it must put a lot of pressure on the door frame to hold that much weight.
I'd love a door frame pull up bar but I just don't trust them.

I'd be scared of snapping up my back with a fall or snapping up the door frame.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I am now positive that the muscle ups were hurting my shoulder. I was pain free for a few weeks and after doing them it's bothering me again. Sucks but oh well. I really enjoyed the challenge too. Aaarrragh!

Finally back after a month long ban. That was pretty dumb of me. :lol

Also, found out i like 5-3-1 more than Starting Strength, so i've switched to it even though im sure i could still get more gains out of SS. But hey, its a marathon, not a sprint and this makes me wanna go to the gym more than SS, so whatever.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I am now positive that the muscle ups were hurting my shoulder. I was pain free for a few weeks and after doing them it's bothering me again. Sucks but oh well. I really enjoyed the challenge too. Aaarrragh!

Now you will have to find something else to beast at.

Sucks that those cause shoulder issues, because they look bad ass.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Now you will have to find something else to beast at.

Sucks that those cause shoulder issues, because they look bad ass.

I loved them. Maybe I can work on shoulder pressing 2 plates like you but it's going to take years if I stay around 185 and even at that I'm not sure it's achievable.

See any changes to your back?

Absolutely. The V is more prominent. Looks fantastic. Don't get a sore back sitting at my desk for 12hours a day.

dat grip

edit: totally ripped my boxers today while squatting. time to throw these ones away

Yo nubs, step your undergarment game up.

Boxer briefs > * 2

I squat in cycling bib knicks underneath my shorts. They're great. They provide support, the elastic material has some give. They also add compression to quads.

OG Kush

I have been experiencing a tingly/prickly feeling in my arms, occasionaly legs and shoulder. Its not a constant feeling but for a few mins, multiple times a day I feel it. Doesn't happen every day but a few times this past week. Is this nerve damage? should I be worried about this?

Roche

So I joined the gym a while ago and I've noticed that after a workout I get kind of sharp jabbie pain in the right side of my sternum, figured you guys would know whether or not I that's normal.

Roche

Might have tweaked an intercostal muscle?

After a quick Wikipedia of what that muscle is I think that might be it. It seems to be associated with breathing and the pain usually hits when breathing deeply after a workout.

It isn't so bad and it usually goes away after a few seconds I was just afraid it might be something serious enough to warrant a GP visit.

SeigO

Banned
So I'm looking for some tips/advice on cutting weight. I can diet pretty easily and I know what to eat, but what's the best way to do it with minimal muscle loss? I just finished my first attempt at bulking up. I was eating 3,500+ calories a day.

I'm 22, 6'2, 185 and I just want to lose 5-10 pounds for the summer. My maintenance level is about 3,000 calories, I seem to stay at the same weight when I eat that much. As long as I'm getting enough protein can I eat 2,000 calories a day or is it better to go slower than that?

And yesterday I ran 5 or 6 miles on top of my lifting routine, but I wasn't sure if I should compensate and eat more or just stick with my normal diet.

So I'm looking for some tips/advice on cutting weight. I can diet pretty easily and I know what to eat, but what's the best way to do it with minimal muscle loss? I just finished my first attempt at bulking up. I was eating 3,500+ calories a day.

I'm 22, 6'2, 185 and I just want to lose 5-10 pounds for the summer. My maintenance level is about 3,000 calories, I seem to stay at the same weight when I eat that much. As long as I'm getting enough protein can I eat 2,000 calories a day or is it better to go slower than that?

And yesterday I ran 5 or 6 miles on top of my lifting routine, but I wasn't sure if I should compensate and eat more or just stick with my normal diet.

Damn. I'm 6'2" 210 and I'm skinny-fat. You're 185 after a "bulking" phase? Jesus, you must have been skinny as hell...

grumble

Funny how people always decide to lose weight for the summer, but don't get around to starting until the summer's already underway. It takes time!

1. Keep lifting heavy
2. Mix in a LITTLE cardio. Nothing crazy needed, and if it's burning you out then cut it.
3. Consume ample protein, maybe 1g/lb
4. consume fewer calories. Try anywhere from 500-1000kcal deficit. I find making most of that cut carbs makes it a little easier to stick with, but no need for keto or anything.

The risk you run with a severe calorie deficit is two fold.

1. Muscle loss
2. Metabolic damage

I wouldn't go under 2k for any length of time.

Onemic

Are 5 reps really the optimal range of reps? Everyone that I talk to says that its bullshit and that you can never gain the optimal amount of strength or size doing 5 reps of squats or bench press. It's honestly getting to the point of me straight up not wanting to do it anymore because they all think I'm following some looney workout.

grumble

Are 5 reps really the optimal range of reps? Everyone that I talk to says that its bullshit and that you can never gain the optimal amount of strength or size doing 5 reps of squats or bench press. It's honestly getting to the point of me straight up not wanting to do it anymore because they all think I'm following some looney workout.

Show them a picture of reg park. Natural bodybuilder, one of the best ever; also the second person to bench 500 pounds, which he did in a white tshirt. He was a huge proponent of 5x5. Or show them a picture of a guy called Arnold Schwarzenegger, who followed the reg park routine in his early years to get strong.

I feel you. Even worse/funnier, some guys come over to spot me during bench press, I'm like on my 4th rep and got only 1 more, and they insist I can do 8 lol.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
You bad ass. So impressive. How is your shoulder?

Oh shit, sorry, just saw this post!

Shoulder is weird. After my injury last month, and some rest, my shoulder seemed fine for a couple weeks. But now it's begun acting up again. I think I might need an operation on it. If I rest for a few days, I can go back to working out every exercise BESIDES pull-ups. Muscle-ups? No problem. Handstands? Cake. Chin-ups? Easy. Pull-ups? FUCK. When I bend my left arm at a 90-degree angle, it's like a tendon "clicks" in my left shoulder, around the rotator cuff.

It's not a debilitating injury or anything, but it makes working out incredibly painful more than it needs to. What do you guys think? Should I see a sports therapist or something? I prefer just going directly to one of those than my dumbass GP.

Thanks for asking, man.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Man, holding myself back on this conditioning template is killing me. Today I benched 350 for my last set and it went up as easy as a warm up set. I probably could have knocked out 3-5 reps on it.

Good news though is I'm visably thinner (at least I think I am) and I'm down 3-4lbs for the month (237) and my strength is staying the same if not getting better and my run is improving like crazy.

Prez

What are some good compound exercises that don't require a barbell? I don't have room for a barbell and I'll never go to the gym, my social anxiety is way too big for that.

I'm looking for exercises that involve the upper body (chest, back, shoulders).

What's recommended for a beginner? Pull-ups? Push-ups? What about just lifting and moving heavy boxes? How well could that work and which muscle groups would that work out?

Yes, I've read the OP but it's too much focused on barbell exercises.

What are some good compound exercises that don't require a barbell? I don't have room for a barbell and I'll never go to the gym, my social anxiety is way too big for that.

What's recommended for a beginner? Pull-ups? Push-ups? What about just lifting and moving heavy boxes? How well could that work and which muscle groups would that work out?

why don't you get dumbbells?

Onemic

Fuck it and just go. I used to be like this, but then you realize no one gives 2 fucks about what YOU are doing in the gym, if they did that they wouldn't have time to workout themselves and if they do they truly are losers because everyone, even Arnold and Ronnie had to start from ground zero. You have to realize that you're doing this for yourself and not for other people.

Show them a picture of reg park. Natural bodybuilder, one of the best ever; also the second person to bench 500 pounds, which he did in a white tshirt. He was a huge proponent of 5x5. Or show them a picture of a guy called Arnold Schwarzenegger, who followed the reg park routine in his early years to get strong.

Okay just wanted to make sure. When I was doing 3x5 Squats in the gym my brother was saying I was doing it all wrong and should aim for at least 8 since squats work the largest muscles in your body. I disagreed with him of course, but he kept saying I was taking advice from a bunch of crazies.

Why does everyone always point out that it was done in a white t-shirt? What does that matter?

Kickz

Hey guys I had a question about workout routine.. So I have been putting on a decent amount of muscle mass in the last 9 months or so. Happy with my muscles but I need to continue to lose weight since I am still about 50lbs from weight goals..

So my current routine is; 3 days weights with 30min cardio and 2 days all out cardio. Losing about 1.5-2lbs a week with this.

Do you think I could lose weight faster if I reversed this to be 3 days all out cardio and 2 days weights? My thought process being I feel like I have bulked up enough...

Anyone else do burpees on their off days or as part of their cardio routine? Holy shit these are a fun way to exhaust yourself. I do a modified push-up/jump/squat jump version. Sogoooood.

Hey guys I had a question about workout routine.. So I have been putting on a decent amount of muscle mass in the last 9 months or so. Happy with my muscles but I need to continue to lose weight since I am still about 50lbs from weight goals..

So my current routine is; 3 days weights with 30min cardio and 2 days all out cardio. Losing about 1.5-2lbs a week with this.

Do you think I could lose weight faster if I reversed this to be 3 days all out cardio and 2 days weights? My thought process being I feel like I have bulked up enough...
depends on how you set up your diet and routine. You need a balance so you don't end up burning muscle with your fat. 1.5-2 lbs is perfect IMO. Faster than that and homeostasis is going to start fighting back. That's when you fall off the wagon, lose muscle and spin your wheels. Patience is key.

Lamel

Banned
So maybe you guys remember I posted how over the summer I have less weight to work with.

Surprisingly enough, I've been doing bent over rows/ pendlay rows and my upper back has exploded in size...

90 lbs 10 reps, 3 sets. It's not even that hard to do that...but damn.

The rest of the muscle groups are doing only alright, probably because of the lightness of weight.

Carbonox

So maybe you guys remember I posted how over the summer I have less weight to work with.

Surprisingly enough, I've been doing bent over rows/ pendlay rows and my upper back has exploded in size...

90 lbs 10 reps, 3 sets. It's not even that hard to do that...but damn.

The rest of the muscle groups are doing only alright, probably because of the lightness of weight.

Yeah I love bent over barbell rows. They've made a significant difference in such a small amount of time that I've returned to the gym. Easily my favourite exercise right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom