• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started cut at 183 last week. Today I'm 179. I'm sure most is water weight, but I'm ok with a pound being fat :)

Nice dood. I'm down to 214. Started at 220. I want to lose 6-7 more lbs in the next 5 weeks. So far, so good.

protein waffles sound like a good idea.. might invest in a waffle maker... mmmm

Haha. I will let you know how that goes. I've found a few recipes online that I'm going to try.

http://mealsandmovesblog.com/meals/protein-pancakeswaffles/
http://www.carascravings.com/2010/12/protein-waffles.html

Prolly throw in an extra scoop of whey and take away some egg whites and use eggs and milk instead. We will see.

Van Owen

Banned
I have Kodiak Cakes pancake/waffle mix every weekend. I've heard people have good results mixing in their protein, but I'd rather just make a shake and drink it with the meal.

I'm at 215 roughly, trying to get down to about 200. That's my current goal, and then I want to take it down to about 180, which I would be very, very, very happy with.

I have relatively well shaped legs, I'm steadily losing waist and hips, my ass is getting nicer (my gf says anyway, I dunno but I believe her, it is pretty firm), but I'm mainly trying to lose stomach and face fat. I have no desire to have an amazing body, I just want to slim down.

...god be with me

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm at 215 roughly, trying to get down to about 200. That's my current goal, and then I want to take it down to about 180, which I would be very, very, very happy with.

I have relatively well shaped legs, I'm steadily losing waist, but I'm mainly trying to lose stomach and face fat.

...god be with me

Height/age? Your starting weight goals are basically the same as mine.

6'2 - 32 years

Height/age? Your starting weight goals are basically the same as mine.

6'2 - 32 years

I'm 29, 30 in February. Roughly 5'10? I think my main current motivator is that the thought of living through my 30's and 40's in the same shape I am in now is fucking terrifying. I want to enjoy the next two decades, not being ashamed of what I look like, and engage in more outdoor physical activities without looking like a fat nerd.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm 29, 30 in February. Roughly 5'10? I think my main current motivator is that the thought of living through my 30's and 40's in the same shape I am in now is fucking terrifying. I want to enjoy the next two decades, not being ashamed of what I look like, and engage in more outdoor physical activities without looking like a fat nerd.

lol, that sounds all too familiar man. best of luck.

MjFrancis

Is Anton Sugar still putting up the new OT soon? We'll need that before the day's out, I'm certain.

---

In my own not terribly interesting life update, my 5/3/1 week couldn't have landed on a more demanding week. Since Sunday I've unloaded 16,800lbs of bricks by hand in a job where moving them by wheelbarrow or handtruck wasn't an option, resulting in three separate days of leaving my house at four in the morning and coming home at eight in the evening. My 9-5 keeps me on my feet and moving for at least six hours of the day. I've had two separate doctor's appointments in completely different cities. And in between that I still ran steps three times this week and trained as scheduled.

Next week is deload week and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm also digging deep for a final training day North of Vag. There's more to a lot of this, but to keep it from going into livejournal or facebook territory I've chose to emphasize that keeping training as a pillar of your lifestyle builds character, in addition to strength and muscle.

I have Kodiak Cakes pancake/waffle mix every weekend. I've heard people have good results mixing in their protein, but I'd rather just make a shake and drink it with the meal.

That stuff looks good but I'm trying to go gluten free for the next few months. Just something to try. I think I will get rice flour instead and see how that works out.

First batch will be just regular waffles.
Second batch will be protein waffles.

Hopefully, they will all be delicious.

Prologue

Squats feel a lot more natural to me than deadlifts. From what I've read, you're suppose to position your feet so that the barbell is at the midpoint of your foot. Grab onto the barbell, hit your shins against the bar, push up with your heels and look up.
Something seems to be missing though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SchLHTF05A

MjFrancis

Just a sample of Wendler describing the North of Vag concept in 5/3/1:

Get rid of all the meaningless crap in your life and your training. Get rid of the things that bleed your energy in the weight room and in life. What’s better for you? The Prowler or a stroll on the treadmill? What do you think is going to make you better?

Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter.

It's a tongue-in-cheek way of saying STFU and train. It's a constant reminder to myself that I'm training to get stronger, physically and mentally. Drifting South of the Vag would have been saying "fuck it, I'm staying home this week" or sitting on an inflatable ball like this and wondering why I never got anywhere:

aefd878e-5fbd-91eb.jpg

Squats feel a lot more natural to me than deadlifts. From what I've read, you're suppose to position your feet so that the barbell is at the midpoint of your foot. Grab onto the barbell, hit your shins against the bar, push up with your heels and look up.
Something seems to be missing though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SchLHTF05A
I'm a beginner as well but I can see how bad your back is rounded there: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1337968410-clip-86kb.jpg

Try to lift your chest up like this: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1337968560-clip-137kb.jpg

Also think about the movement as a push down with your legs, and use your hips for finishing the move.

You should watch some rippetoe videos and read his Starting Strength.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Did you use the grease the groove system by doing pullups every day or how often did you do those? My pullups have gone down during the last six months or so and I really got to get my numbers back up...

I only do pullups on OHP and Bench days.

These days I've cut back to 6 sets of 10-15 on those days.

2 sets in each grip. (Pullup/chinup/parallel grip.)

When I was trying to improve I only did them once a week and till I got to 100-120.

How does everyone hear handle alternating mixed grips when deadlifting? I know that using your strong/dominant mixed grip ONLY can cause muscle imbalances...but what I'm finding is that, with my weak mixed grip, I almost always injure myself because it feels so physically different/weaker than my "strong" mixed grip.

I will typically deadlift with a double overhead grip all the way up to my final work set. With the final work set, I would alternate weak/strong mixed grip every rep. However, now I am going to try using my "weak" mixed grip on my second-to-last set, to a) get more balance and b)get used to the weak grip. For my final work set, I will ONLY use my strong mixed grip.

Any thoughts on this? Deadlifting went much better (no back fuckups!) the other day, but I hate the thought of having an actual muscular imbalance because of this. But if I'm using my "weak" grip on my second-to-last set, would that be enough to offset it?

Deadlifts: serious business.

In other news, I am still doing power shrugs (had considered cutting them because they aggravated a back injury), but am using a wider, almost snatch-width grip, and it feels a lot more solid/less stressful on my back. Possibly because the "lever" is shortened due to a wider grip?

Prologue

I'm a beginner as well but I can see how bad your back is rounded there: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1337968410-clip-86kb.jpg

Try to lift your chest up like this: http://clip2net.com/clip/m40331/1337968560-clip-137kb.jpg

Also think about the movement as a push down with your legs, and use your hips for finishing the move.

You should watch some rippetoe videos and read his Starting Strength.

Trust me I know. I'm glad I took a video so I can fix it. I forgot about lifting the chest up and from what I've been reading, it pretty much straightens the back. I'll give it a try again today.

MjFrancis

What's everyones opinion on doorframe pull up bars? Good investment? Are they fairly sturdy and won't effect the frame?
Mine has scratched off paint, and didn't fit in a single doorframe of my last house (most of the doors were situated with a 90 degree wall on one side and the other ones were too wide). Other than that, they are just fine so long as you work within the weight tolerances. And make certain the hardware stays tight. Don't kip, either!

If you are short of space and/or don't have the budget for a full pull-up bar or power cage they are serviceable. Definitely a good investment, I got thousands of pull-ups on mine before I retired it. I can't even remember the brand but it wouldn't have retailed for more than $20 USD.

Ashhong

Thanks to whoever suggested sticking your leg out straight at an angle in front of you when doing pull ups. Really helps with the swaying and lets me do them a lot easier

Imm0rt4l

More squats!

I have one. Hasn't fucked up the frame, but it's punched holes in the wall above the door.

Mine has scratched off paint, and didn't fit in a single doorframe of my last house (most of the doors were situated with a 90 degree wall on one side and the other ones were too wide). Other than that, they are just fine so long as you work within the weight tolerances. And make certain the hardware stays tight. Don't kip, either!

If you are short of space and/or don't have the budget for a full pull-up bar or power cage they are serviceable. Definitely a good investment, I got thousands of pull-ups on mine before I retired it. I can't even remember the brand but it wouldn't have retailed for more than $20 USD.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think I'll go ahead and pick one up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Thanks to whoever suggested sticking your leg out straight at an angle in front of you when doing pull ups. Really helps with the swaying and lets me do them a lot easier

It also works your core as weird as that sounds.

When I did 200 my mid section was killing me the next day and I hadn't done any ab work at all

balddemon

Banned
i dont really wanna walk into the gym, squat 3 sets of 5 reps and then be done with the meat of my workout. today is lookin like its gonna be squats then ab work then go home. altogether that will take uhh 30 minutes? lol

How does everyone hear handle alternating mixed grips when deadlifting? I know that using your strong/dominant mixed grip ONLY can cause muscle imbalances...but what I'm finding is that, with my weak mixed grip, I almost always injure myself because it feels so physically different/weaker than my "strong" mixed grip.

I will typically deadlift with a double overhead grip all the way up to my final work set. With the final work set, I would alternate weak/strong mixed grip every rep. However, now I am going to try using my "weak" mixed grip on my second-to-last set, to a) get more balance and b)get used to the weak grip. For my final work set, I will ONLY use my strong mixed grip.

Any thoughts on this? Deadlifting went much better (no back fuckups!) the other day, but I hate the thought of having an actual muscular imbalance because of this. But if I'm using my "weak" grip on my second-to-last set, would that be enough to offset it?

Deadlifts: serious business.

I used to alternate mixed grip as well but then would also hurt myself using my weaker mixed grip. I then proceeded to completely ignore the weaker mixed grip and used my strong one only.

Basically it caused my right lat to grow much bigger than my left lat, and my left spinal erector to grow much bigger than my right spinal erector. It caused no issues, however, from an aesthetic point of view I disliked the asymmetry, and have worked on correcting this.

I have taken out deadlifts from my programme for now but will aim to go back to deadlifting with a hook grip from now on.

Carbonox

The rate at which I'm making gains is scaring me but in a good way. I've never felt so good in my life. Bent over barbell bows have become one of my favourite things to do as well.

bro1

Banned
Do some hanging leg raises where you touch your shins to the bar you're holding and get back to me.

my right shoulder kills me when I do hanging leg raises. I think it's my rotator cuff.

On a positive note, I did 230x8 on the bench press today. I really need to get my squat up, as my bench is starting to catch up. I did 285x8 on Wednesday on the squat, so it's really lagging.

So I've been trying to lose some weight lately with the help of myfitnesspal, but it seems to me that the suggested carb/fat goals are way too high.
If I'm trying to lose bodyfat and get some definition, what sorta numbers should I aim for?

Currently weighing 74kg and am 179cm, have a sedentary lifestyle, lift some weights at the gym once a week and does some cardio at the gym 30 minutes a week in addition to 30-40 minute walks every day.

CrankyJay

Banned
So I've been trying to lose some weight lately with the help of myfitnesspal, but it seems to me that the suggested carb/fat goals are way too high.
If I'm trying to lose bodyfat and get some definition, what sorta numbers should I aim for?

Currently weighing 74kg and am 179cm, have a sedentary lifestyle, lift some weights at the gym once a week and does some cardio at the gym 30 minutes a week in addition to 30-40 minute walks every day.

Start lifting heavy 3 times a week. I think a 40/40/20 Diet of protein/carbs/fat will be fine, but make the carbs complex and not just junk. Obviously do a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day to lose 1-2 pounds a week.

Start lifting heavy 3 times a week. I think a 40/40/20 Diet of protein/carbs/fat will be fine, but make the carbs complex and not just junk. Obviously do a 500-1000 calorie deficit a day to lose 1-2 pounds a week.
Thanks, I'll give that a go. Think I'm on a 500 calorie deficit as of now, just need to cut down on carbs I think.

Cudder

I dont know why in the hell i decided to go to the gym today after taking a week off and having nothing to eat all day. I felt like absolute shit after my workout like i was going to pass out, and my lifts were like, halved.

Fuckin hell.

grumble

Cririque my four day split Gaf. I normally do sets of 10-15 depending on the exercise btw.

[i mg]http://www.imgur.com/VxlJu.jpgmg]

[ img]http://www.imgur.com/YPySh.jpgmg]

[i mg]http://www.imgur.com/Gpn3z.jpgimg]

[i mg]http://www.imgur.com/0KypO.jpgmg]

Looking to lose some fat primarily.

Why did you decide on a four day split?

I would definitely not do a program like that personally as I feel it's rare for people to need more than three days to accomplish their goals and I believe that splitting up your muscle groups can make fitting in the important compound lifts awkward, but if it's working for you then more power to you.

Here are some modifications I'd do:

Day 1: Try doing lateral raises instead of front raises, as shoulder press can be anterior deltoid dominant. Drop the shrugs, you can hit those with the deadlifts on back day. Nix one of the triceps isolation exercises, and do that movement after you've done tricep dips NOT on a bench; use the dip bars.

Day 2: Increase rest time for the DL to 3 minutes. Do both wrist movements at the end of the workout, or they'll interfere with the big movements. Skip the lat pulldown and do pullups if possible, or use assistance and decrease as you progress. Skip the one arm row, it adds nothing.

Day 3: Lose one of the barbell biceps movements. Lose the cable crossover. Use free weights for the incline bench. Do flies after other chest movements.

Day 4: Up the squat sets by one. Drop the leg press. Do hamstring curls instead of leg extensions. For the second calf movement, do seated calf raises.

That would improve things as a initial rough look.

I would definitely not do a program like that personally as I feel it's rare for people to need more than three days to accomplish their goals and I believe that splitting up your muscle groups can make fitting in the important compound lifts awkward, but if it's working for you then more power to you.

Day 1: Try doing lateral raises instead of front raises, as shoulder press can be anterior deltoid dominant. Drop the shrugs, you can hit those with the deadlifts on back day. Nix one of the triceps isolation exercises, and do that movement after you've done tricep dips NOT on a bench; use the dip bars.

Day 2: Increase rest time for the DL to 3 minutes. Do both wrist movements at the end of the workout, or they'll interfere with the big movements. Skip the lat pulldown and do pullups if possible, or use assistance and decrease as you progress. Skip the one arm row, it adds nothing.

Day 3: Lose one of the barbell biceps movements. Lose the cable crossover. Use free weights for the incline bench. Do flies after other chest movements.

Day 4: Up the squat sets by one. Drop the leg press. Do hamstring curls instead of leg extensions. For the second calf movement, do seated calf raises.

I'll respond when I get home. If anyone else has anything to add, please do. Also, I thought Kroc Rows were really good exercises?
what app is that Khalifa Jayy?
JEFit available for iOS and Android. Its a godsend. Lets you track EVERYTHING.

grumble

I'll respond when I get home. If anyone else has anything to add, please do. Also, I thought Kroc Rows were really good exercises?

JEFit available for iOS and Android. Its a godsend. Lets you track EVERYTHING.

Kroc rows are good, but they aren't going to add much after the bent over rows and the pulldowns/pullups. It's just additional metabolic and muscular stress with a pretty small incremental return.

SeanR1221

Got in a huge car accident. An asshole smashed up my car while I was at a red light. I'm sore now, god only knows how I'll feel tomorrow. There goes my next week at the gym.

Day 1: Lateral raises sounds good. I'll definitely swap those in. I think I might keep shrugs just because I love feeling that burn... but I'll drop one of the tricep iso's. I'm definitely going to have to look for dip bars, because I don't think I have seen any. I'll get back to you on that one.

Day 2: You're recommending a rest time of 3 minutes between each set of ten? Why so much? I'll add pullups for sure. I might stick with the Kroc rows, but I'll definitely try one go around without them and see how I feel.

Day 3: I did flies last the other day and felt it kicked my ass, but I guess that's a really good thing, haha. I will not lose any sleep over losing the cable crossover, as I hated it haha. And free weights for the incline sounds like a good idea for the proper development of my stabilization muscles. Done.

Day 4: I love the leg press, though :/ What's so bad about it, or why do you recommend dropping it? Seated calf raises sounds fine. I'll have to check out hamstring curls. I don't think I've ever done one set of them.

Basically, I chose a 4-day split because I have church 3 times a week and wanted to spend the other four doing something for my body. IF I switched to a 3-day, what would you recommend my splits look like?

balddemon

Banned
Basically, I chose a 4-day split because I have church 3 times a week and wanted to spend the other four doing something for my body. IF I switched to a 3-day, what would you recommend my splits look like?

chest/tri/abs
back/bi
shoulders/legs/abs

bam

im currently doing a 4 day split that looks like this:
chest
back/abs
shoulders
legs/abs

with cardio on off days except sunday, but im thinking of switching back to a 3 day and just rotating them so i work out 4 days a week. there's only so much you can do to a single muscle group before it stops helping

Petrie

Banned
chest/tri/abs
back/bi
shoulders/legs/abs

bam

chest
back/abs
shoulders
legs/abs

with cardio on off days except sunday, but im thinking of switching back to a 3 day and just rotating them so i work out 4 days a week. there's only so much you can do to a single muscle group before it stops helping

More time for Diablo on a 3 day!

Mr.City

chest/tri/abs
back/bi
shoulders/legs/abs

bam

chest
back/abs
shoulders
legs/abs

What's the volume and progression for this look like? All I see is abs/back/ glutes/ whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom