• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at PS5 UI

kuncol02

Banned
the idea is the same but execution is very different, in Sonys favour obvs

i just wanna know if you can do that with twitch, youtube and stuff, worse thing about SNAP was how it made your gameplay screen smaller but the fact this one has ability to put it over your gameplay should make it more useable
PIP hides part of your game screen which can be problem in itself, which for me make both solutions equally bad with slight inclination for MS solution. For me achievements notifications are distracting enough. Anyway it's not nextgen feature.

TrackZ

Wonder how the game list works on the home screen? If you can pin? Does it force most recent to the front of the list always? Is there grouping options/folders?

I like ps4 ui more.

This looks messy, but im sure I get used to it and then it feels logical.

I dont want too many social features to mess up the experience, maybe they can be optional

I've been tough on Sony due to their lopsided marketing strategy and lack of detailed information. It made things appear unfinished or not ready to show which has been alarming to me so close to the intended release. With that being said the tear-down the other day along with finally showing the UI has gone a long way in selling the PS5 to me. It's great to see Sony innovating on the UI side of things with screen sharing along with other new features. Good job!

Dibils2k

Sackboy was in suspend mode in the background.
yeah which was one game, when they switched over to the other game it launched from start

i dont see quick resume happening on PS5 since they surely would have shown or talked about it in someway.... at the same time Sony has been so weird with holding back info i dont know what to think

PIP hides part of your game screen which can be problem in itself, which for me make both solutions equally bad with slight inclination for MS solution. For me achievements notifications are distracting enough. Anyway it's not nextgen feature.

It doesn't need to be an overlay. You can snap it to the sides as well

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sackboy was in suspend mode in the background.
I would have liked to see them jump back out of Destruction All Stars and back into Sackboy - to see if the PS5 is like the current gen resume, or like how the Series X can suspend multiple games at once.

So the picture-in-picture wasn't next-gen to you?

Xbox had PIP and killed it (to provide incremental GPU horsepower) as it wasn't really used much. Not sure why everyone thinks a feature from 2013 that was killed off is a game changer.

Google Xbox Snap

snap-760x380.jpg

One other question, activities are tied to points chosen by the developer (ie level starts etc). Doesn't that only work in games like Sackboy etc, platformers? FPS, RPG, AA games will all have different game states for individuals based on what they had been doing.

I'm not sure I see how that will be relevant to the vast majority of games as it doesn't reference what the user has done.

Kdad

Who doesn't have PS plus.....do people not have friends to play with?
I don't have PS plus as I don't play multiplayer online games. That said, doesn't bother me that there are features included in plus to make it attractive to people...people bitching about hints being paywalled are just looking to bitch about something.

Concern

Looks good although im not hard to please when it comes to the ui. I like the ps4s ui as well.

Now paying for hints, that's just stupid. Well that's on patent that came true.

cormack12

Gold Member
yeah which was one game, when they switched over to the other game it launched from start

i dont see quick resume happening on PS5 since they surely would have shown or talked about it in someway.... at the same time Sony has been so weird with holding back info i dont know what to think

Oh yeah sorry I see what you mean. I thought you meant sleep/rest. It was my assumption in that instance Sackboy gets closed and D:AS starts

Its definitely in unless they sneakily edited the video to hide the close application message

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No mention of suspend/resume of multiple games is a bit worrying. Maybe they simply don't have it.

Otherwise this is looking nice.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Looks like a shitty version of NXE with a bunch of features I don't care about at all

XMB >>>>> Vita UI >>>>>>>>> PS4 and PS5

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think it's a little cleaner. I really like cards and especially activities, and the social stuff is amazing. I can be playing game in a party chat with friends, watching my goofy drunk best friend in a card off to the side as they struggle with Demon'sj Souls. Being able to drop in and out of multiplayer matches in another game instantly, then when done hopping right back to your game.

Whew. This really does feel next gen.

White-fire

The UI is very simplistic and nice, it seems easy to get to where you want to get, and notifications and UI processes seem to be more streamlined (like joining parties and watching friends share their screens). The thing that I liked the most was here responsive it was, it had virtually no lag.

MastaKiiLA

In 7:30

WTF

They advance the video speed to hide the loading time

LOL LOL

Yeah also saw that .. someone slow it down again to count the load time 🤣
I found it strange too, but they skip matchmaking, character selection, and a countdown timer for team building. It's hard to tell what part of that is stage loading, as it exits into a pre-staging area anyway. Pause at 7:33 to see the countdown timer. Before that is team build, before that is character selection, and before that is matchmaking. If they really wanted to hide load times, they just wouldn't have shown the game. Not sure they have any other multiplayer 1st party titles to show, and DAS hasn't even had anything new shown of it outside of the reveal trailer.

EDIT: Beaten like a chubby sprinter. That's what I get for watching the Thai dub of Cradle 2 The Grave.

Last edited:
I could really do without the newer features they’ve added in, like the news and game stuff - I wonder if there will be a way to get rid of them? Otherwise looks fine - glad we’ve seen it so people can chill about it,

Love the smoothness and speed of it.

Don't like the cards feature and never felt like the picture-in-picture thing was very useful on the XB1 when it launched. I don't know how useful it will be. But I do like a lot of the features here and it'll be interesting to see how they're embraced and executed by first and third party developers. Like most things cutting edge, the acceptance rate of the masses will make a difference. The paywall on cheats is a little "huh" for me but it is what it is. We'll see how that evolves too.

elenapska

The home menu is awesome and better than the XSX menu.

but I don't like their quick menu (activity menu). Xbox Guide is so much better in that regard.

The new features like Share Screen are awesome!!!

Derktron

Banned
I like it only because it looks simple to use, especially with PIP mode, something that Microsoft needs to bring back the the Xbox. In my opinion PIP mode is something useful I would use.

Top Bottom