• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Genetically Engineered Salmon Sold in Canada

Daedardus

So it's salmon engineered to produce more growth hormone than normal. Seems a bit unstable for the fish to be able to live as long as another salmon in the wild, but I doubt it will have any effect on the meat produced. Probably sounds more scary than it actually is.

IceCold

Would rather eat wild fish anyways. Since they eat their natural feed and likely have better nutritional content than farmed fish (no antibiotics and the like is a bonus too). Same thing with grass fed beef and its higher content of omega3.

It's fine as long as farming them doesn't destroy the environment (like existing fish farms have been doing for years) and they don't mix with the wild variety (which might disturb the wild variety's ability to survive in the wild).

PSqueak

Banned
Soon

SnibJJd.jpg

Came to verify this had been posted.

Good job.

I'm sure the fish tastes fine and any GMO concerns are overblown. But salmon doesn't do well farmed and requires tons of antibiotics to survive. This is why I only eat wild salmon.

Trying to hide the fact that the fish is GM seems to be more trouble than admitting it. If you want people to be comfortable eating GM fish than they should be comfortable selling it as such.

The sad thing is that Costco and Kroger refuse to carry it because of the false narrative surrounding the 'danger' of GMOs.

If we're going to reduce our carbon footprint we're going to need to GMO the fuck out of everything that we farm, including fish.

Aquaculture raising of GMO fish, fed GMO yeast that is high in Omega-3 instead of fish oil, isn't just something that can boost our fish yield and reduce our carbon footprint. It's also one of many options that we can exploit to provide more protein to the third world over the coming decades.

Privileged white people will continue to fight GMO, though.

What do you mean by some and in what way have they been modified?

He means artificial selection changes way more genes than GMO does and has more unknown and unpredictable outcomes.

See the Lanape Potato for example. We made a really good frying potato with too much toxin in it, and we made it with artificial selection.

Almost everything we eat has had it's genome radically altered via artificial selection or chemical or nuclear mutation. That's considered good, yet "GMO" (transgenesis) bad, for no logical reason at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Some examples:

Wild bananas don't look like the kind you buy in the store. Corn/Maize was originally not very useful as a cereal crop. Cows/pigs/chickens have changed a lot since humans first started using them for food.

Lookup the history of agriculture, farming, and domestication.

IceCold

Some examples:

Wild bananas don't look like the kind you buy in the store. Corn/Maize was originally not very useful as a cereal crop. Cows/pigs/chickens have changed a lot since humans first started using them for food.

Lookup the history of agriculture, farming, and domestication.

Also sweet potatoes are naturally occurring GMOs :eek:

The gmo scare is a bit our of control really. I hope that in the future this is less of an issue and we can better deal with the food demands of the world. If people do not have to worry if they have something to eat that day it might also reduce conflict and wars.
GMO itself will become necessary.

The weariness comes in for me with sole corporate control of food supply. That's really scary to many people, especially in countries that aren't developed.

The weariness comes in for me with sole corporate control of food supply. That's really scary to many people, especially in countries that aren't developed.

Regulate GMO less so smaller companies can enter the market and compete. All this fighting of GMO development has resulted in only enormous wealthy conglomerates being able to compete.

FYI in India farmers are so desperate for corporate produced GMO cotton seed that they are willing to pay huge prices on the black market. The yields are so much higher with the GMO cotton that the market rate price for seed is considered an insane bargain. Plant non-GMO cotton, lose most of your crop.

Essentially selective breeding. It's a form of genetic modification - just much slower and not always done in a lab setting. It's been a hallmark of agriculture and cultivation of crops and livestock since the dawn of agriculture.

I don't see the big deal about controlling it and developing some of this in a lab. People think it's some conspiracy, when it's really about efficiency and trying to reduce needed resources to produce crops/food. Similar to the organic food craze. More harm than good by requiring more resources and waste just so some can feel good about themselves.

Some people have a fear of the unknown produced in labs. Artificial insemination was controversial when it began, but now no one cares. This is a road bump that companies and scientists should have seen coming. It would be better to influence the market without creating laws, and being honest about the product. Fighting the Whole Foods Market crowd makes everyone look bad imo.

Morts

Very cool.

I'm more interested though in lab-grown meat becoming economically viable. Skip the animal completely, just grow the muscles we eat.

Neo C.

More efficiency is needed. Now if they also engineered a better taste, I would gladly only buy those salmons.

Parch

Fish farms are not good. All sorts of problems with them make them difficult to be economically profitable on a large scale.
Growing fast is nice, but disease resistant would probably be a preferable GM trait. The amount of antibiotics needed for fish farming is gross.

How long before we get Almond Fish? Fish lobby ain't gonna like this..not one bit!
Almond Fish Milk then 6 months later with Chipotle flavor

GMO has already been a necessity. The fear mongering definition of GMO is what people are actually talking about due to being uninformed. They are in fact only arguing further GMO'ing

DJ_Lae

I'd try them, although it sounds like there's no real way to know which stores are selling it (it's probably just a single location at present).

Assuming that since Atlantic salmon is grown in farm pens on the Pacific coast that's this species is coming west as well ? Ffs its not like local stock doesn't have enough issues ...

DiscoJer

It's absolutely ridiculous that this sort of thing has taken so long.

Biotechnology is one of the most amazing and most useful things man has created and yet so much of the world is afraid of it. It would be understandable if it were the relatively uneducated places that were afraid of it, but instead it's often the most places that are spreading the hysteria.

Awesome news. The fear of GMO products is so completely overblown it borders on conspiracy. Literally all it is is messing with the fishes DNA to create a non-sterile strain that better fits what we as Humans use it for. They can't reproduce in the wild because they are sterile, in fact they die in the wild relatively quickly because they are engineered to survive in the habitats we put them in. In fact, its nothing but benefits for native fish populations because now they don't have to worry about Humans plucking them out of the water en-masse to eat because we have our own fucking variations of them thats better for us

Top Bottom